• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wasn't aware that Cinemax is getting into the original programming business until I saw a commercial for a new (or not so new) series called 'Strike Back'. It premieres on the 12th, apparently. Oddly enough though, it's the second season that's premiering on Cinemax. The series is from the UK, so I guess the first season won't be shown in the U.S.? I guess that it's a similar situation to the Torchwood deal with Starz. Anyway, since it's an existing series, has anyone here heard of it?

big ander said:
Was hoping it'd be late 2011, but I see the wait will be a touch longer. Really looking forward to it.
Yeah, I'm familiar enough with the books (read one of the short story anthologies and Hound of the Baskervilles about 10 years ago) so I really loved seeing it taken to this new time period. I'm excited that
they're doing Hound this season, should be a ton of fun.

Oh wow, I didn't know that! AWESOME! Hype at maximum.

Battersea Power Station said:
I watched 2 episodes of Luther....

is there any reason for me to keep going? So far I find it incredibly cheesy and childish.
I just watched the first episode of Luther too. Can't say I was impressed either, though Ruth Wilson has me hot and bothered.

Salazar

Finished Boardwalk Empire. Very impressed.

Watched an episode of Geordie Shore. God, what muppets.

Starting Misfits Season 2.

Wiktor

It's been a week since I've started Vampire Diaries and I've already blew through both seasons and now I'm suffering from withdrawal. I love this series, some of the most purely entertaining TV I've seen in a long time. And wow..the second season was even better than the first one. I'm so glad I gave this show a chance (primarily because of very positive snippets on io9) instead of blowing it off as another crappy Twilight wannabe.
Heck, I've even warmed to the teen romance aspects of it. It revoked some serious Dawson Creek nostalgia in me. I was actually quite surprised to learn both shows have the same producers.

I will also watch Secret Circle when it airs (same producer, based on another series by VD author), despite the fact the promos look lame as hell :)

It's just such a shame that Dresden Files (the best urban fantasy series) wasn't adapted by such talented team as the one behind VD :(

Btw..how is Nikita? It's another CW show I blew off before giving it a chance (using the "The only good thing on CW is Supernatural" mantra) and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

Wiktor

Battersea Power Station said:
Thanks for not raging on me about Luther; I appreciate the calm responses as I wasn't trying to troll. Yes, judging from the first 2 episodes, it definitely does require turning off your mind. I guess I was too hyped because of GAF's praise of it as a psychological thriller. I was expecting a much more serious and preferably realistic analysis of the killers, not wacky characters and crazy stunts. I was probably also swayed by Elba's The Wire pedigree, even if I tried not to be. So if the show continues down the same path, it's not for me. Can't watch everything!
If you want "serious and realistic analysis of the killers" watch Wire in the Blood. Nothing comes close to it in this department.

Luther is about the craziness and wacky stunts. It gets better later on, but it does that by increasing the craziness and developing the wonderfully bizarre relationship between Luther and Alice, not by becoming more realistic.

AdrianWerner said:
If you want "serious and realistic analysis of the killers" watch Wire in the Blood. Nothing comes close to it in this department.

Luther is about the craziness and wacky stunts. It gets better later on, but it does that by increasing the craziness and developing the wonderfully bizarre relationship between Luther and Alice, not by becoming more realistic.

What are these "wacky stunts" that I keep hearing people refer to when it comes to Luther?

Wiktor

Triple Oceans said:
What are these "wacky stunts" that I keep hearing people refer to when it comes to Luther?
The way Luther beat the blood drinking psycho or the whole last episode with the betrayal and everything.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not the wackiness of Dexter calibre, it never goes out of semi-realistic style Luther has.

AdrianWerner said:
The way Luther beat the blood drinking psycho or the whole last episode with the betrayal and everything.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not the wackiness of Dexter calibre, it never goes out of semi-realistic style Luther has.

The whole point of the show is how Luther gets his hands dirty to go after criminals. It's mentioned in Season two but Luther it's mentioned how there is a difference between getting your hands dirty and being dirty. With that premise in mind, what has he done that was completely unbelievable? In regards to the blood drinking psycho, Luthers only option to catch the guy was to act unethically. And in regards to the season finale, Luther had nothing to do with Ian being a cop who was working with criminals as a dirty cop. And based off of what Ian did, it was really just a bad deal gone bad that exposed Ian for what he really was. I just don't see anything "wacky" about that. Is what Ian did seemed that unrealistic/wacky to you?

AdrianWerner said:
Btw..how is Nikita? It's another CW show I blew off before giving it a chance (using the "The only good thing on CW is Supernatural" mantra) and I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

Nikita is great. One of the best new shows of the 2010 season.

I recently finished Battlestar Gaalctica for the first time. Usually I'm not a fan of sci-fi TV but I really enjoyed the show. I also loved the ending.

Wiktor

Triple Oceans said:
The whole point of the show is how Luther gets his hands dirty to go after criminals. It's mentioned in Season two but Luther it's mentioned how there is a difference between getting your hands dirty and being dirty. With that premise in mind, what has he done that was completely unbelievable? In regards to the blood drinking psycho, Luthers only option to catch the guy was to act unethically. And in regards to the season finale, Luther had nothing to do with Ian being a cop who was working with criminals as a dirty cop. And based off of what Ian did, it was really just a bad deal gone bad that exposed Ian for what he really was. I just don't see anything "wacky" about that. Is what Ian did seemed that unrealistic/wacky to you?

You misunderstood me. I think an angry cop getting his hands dirty all the time and having almost romantic relationship with sociopath is wacky idea. It doesn't make the show unrealistic, it just something that in real-life I would consider wacky and a little crazy, not something that would seem so unrealistic I would question that it could ever happen

AdrianWerner said:
You misunderstood me. I think an angry cop getting his hands dirty all the time and having almost romantic relationship with sociopath is wacky idea. It doesn't make the show unrealistic, it just something that in real-life I would consider wacky and a little crazy, not something that would seem so unrealistic I would question that it could ever happen

I agree but I guess that's what makes it entertaining. The show is fictional after all ;)

CozMick said:
World's Craziest Fools is simply the funniest shit I have ever seen.

Has me in tears every damn episode.
I <3 Mr. T
Agree 100%

Normally these types of shows are carried by the clips but tend to have terrible presenters but with this not only are the clips crazy but Mr T's script is actually very good and will either come out with soemthing very funny or even be at a loss for words at someones stupidity.

Wiktor

Triple Oceans said:
I agree but I guess that's what makes it entertaining. The show is fictional after all ;)
Yes, this controled wackiness is what makes this show unique and entertaining.

Btw....I just learned the show creator has started a Luther novel series
cvr9780857203380_9780857203380.jpg

AdrianWerner said:

Fun show, you made a mistake completely dismissing it.

Undeclared - After the great Freaks and Geeks here was another good show that got cancelled after only one season. I enjoyed it nearly as much as Freaks and Geeks and found it quite funny.

Community - I watched a couple of episodes on TV back in the day but never really got into it. So far I've watched 6 episodes and finding it kind of so-so.

Decado

(no love from the film thread :() Has anyone here seen the mini-series Broken Trails?

I'm starting to get onto a Western kick and am thinking about blind buying this one (something I *rarely* do), if I can find it. I heard the blu-ray was quality as is the show itself...but is it rewatchable? Is it something that, in a few years, I'll have the urge to watch again?

Also considering Lonesome Dove. Pretty sure I've seen this, but it must have been ages ago.

gdt

The last two days I rewatched S1 and S2 of Yu-Yu Hakusho. One of the very, very few animes I love. I picked up the new BRD sets, and they look awesome. Damn I love that show. Now I'm just waiting for the last two seasons to come out.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Watching startrek voyager, really digging it, this will give me my sci fi fix for the next few months..

Also how i met your mother, its always sunny, for my comedy fixes.

Also started watching Pawnstars and cops for my filler shows

and my current up to date show is Breaking bad

Gilgamesh

I just finished the Walking Dead the other day. I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of great setpieces (
trapped in the tank, sneaking through horde, the entire CDC part
). I read a lot of complaints about the acting and pacing, but I didn't really see it. The acting was fine for me and I rarely felt that it was going too slow or too fast.

Can't wait for season 2 in October!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When is the Fall TV thread going up? I'm always curious to see what shows people are looking forward to.

WJD said:
Alright, you've convinced me. I'll give Season 2 a chance.

So, WJD, did you ever get around to watching season 2 of Chuck? If so, did you like it? :3

Oh gosh, why'd no one tell me to watch Warehouse 13? So much damn fun. Not afraid to be silly. Brilliant chemistry between the characters. So many fucking awesome women. And the perfect blend of arcs/stand alones. Possible new Farscape if it keeps it up (I doubt it'll ever reach the same heights, but the formula is just perfect for my tastes).

Lima

-Stranger- said:
Just finished The Wire earlier, the finale was great but i'm kinda sad it's all over.
Definitely the best tv show i've seen.

Now watch all 7 seasons of The Shield and be blown away again.

3rdman

Just sat through season one of "The Killing"...Great start and great finish with some less than stellar episodes in between but overall, I though it was great! For those that don't know it, it's on AMC and there is a dedicated thread about it here in the forums...

3rdman said:
Just sat through season one of "The Killing"...Great start and great finish with some less than stellar episodes in between but overall, I though it was great! For those that don't know it, it's on AMC and there is a dedicated thread about it here in the forums...
Sounds like you haven't actually read the thread... So glad I quit that show after 5 or so episodes, seems I was right to do so.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just got done watching all 5 season's of Friday Night Lights.

Going in I didn't think I would enjoy a show full of teenagers about football but I really enjoyed watching the character progression and became very attached to the characters.

Good show.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Started 4th season of Damages. The quality of the show continues to go downhill with each season but they got Goodman this time so I'm gonna stick with it.
Also watched Workaholics recently. No idea why I watched as it was stupid as hell but I got through all 10 episodes in one sitting.

I got my wife hooked on the UK version of Being Human and I'm in the middle of a series re-watch. This show is so great and so much better than the American remake.

MDavis360 said:
I got my wife hooked on the UK version of Being Human and I'm in the middle of a series re-watch. This show is so great and so much better than the American remake.

Agreed. Unfortunately the end to last season really makes me doubt I will continue watching.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Agreed. Unfortunately the end to last season really makes me doubt I will continue watching.

I'm actually dreading that moment coming because I know my wife is going to flip her shit and be pissed at me. She hates when I make her watch shows knowing something like that is going to happen.

Doctor Who Series Six Ep. 1

That was awful. :| I think that was the first episode of Doctor Who I have just straight up not liked. I'm trying to think of a word to describe the episode and the best I can come up with is ham-fisted.
The Doctor's death had no emotional impact on me at all. I was just like, "wat." The imagery of a space suit walking out of a lake and then killing the Doctor with some green energy stuff was just silly. I couldn't take the episode seriously after that. Everyone's reaction to the Doctor's death just broke my suspension of disbelief. He's the fucking Doctor, he doesn't just die. He obviously knew what was going on, and it's not the first time he has left them outside of the loop. There's always a plan. Not a good setup for the season at all. I just hope the next episode clears everything up and the show moves on.

breaking_bad-poster.jpg

Breaking Bad, I'm on episode 5 of the fourth season now. Damn this show is sooo good. it started out really well and then kinda slowed down in my opinion, but then ever since middle of season 2 or so its been outrageously good.

i still gotta catch up on my other shows though like Fringe and Chuck, and i wanna see the season finale of smallville.

i wish Flashforward was still on.

Decado

bigboss370 said:
Breaking Bad, I'm on episode 5 of the fourth season now. Damn this show is sooo good. it started out really well and then kinda slowed down in my opinion, but then ever since middle of season 2 or so its been outrageously good.
Need to get back into this one. I stalled around the mid-point of S2 with the intention of getting back into it. I just wan't interested in the family drama, as harrowing as it was.

Helveck

Neo Member
I'm watching Season 1 of The Walking Dead again, and I just finished watching Game of Thrones a few weeks back. Both are wicked shows in my opinion. Can't wait for both second seasons.

Way late to the party on Weeds. I started a few weeks ago and ripped through 3 seasons like nothing. Loved it. I hit season 4 and I'm losing interest.

Tonza

Suits got me interested in White Collar so I've been watching that. It's not as good as Suits but I think it's alright. Hopefully it gets better later on. (I'll still continue watching it even if it doesn't, it's good enough)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I debated making a new thread about this show, but I decided that, since the current season is already a few episodes in, and the first season isn't on Netflix or readily available anywhere else, I would just post about it in here.

Strike Back, airing on Cinemax in the US, and in the UK, Sky.

Season 1
0IG1W.jpg

The first season was broadcast in the UK and consisted of 6 episodes, airing in two hour blocks. Each two hour block consisted of a stand alone arc, as well as adding to the overall conspiracy of the season.

Richard Armitage stars as the season's protagonist, John Porter, with Andrew Lincoln playing the character of Hugh Collinson. The series is filmed in and around South Africa.

The story, in a nutshell:

John Porter is a former SAS agent, and Hugh Collinson is an officer in MI6's Section 20. Years ago they both participated in a botched operation in Iraq which resulted in the deaths of several of their fellow soldiers. John gets blamed and is discharged, but, several years later, he's called back into service to help out Section 20 with several dangerous missions. The first two episodes deal with a mission in Iraq, the next two are in Zimbabwe, and the final two are in Afghanistan.

My impressions:

It's a super fun action series, with a likable main and secondary cast. Tonally, some have said it's '24' meets 'Call of Duty'. I suppose that's fairly accurate, but it seems like it's a disservice to say that somehow.

Each episode is basically a 40 minute action movie with filled lots of graphic violence, macho millitary dialog, and explosions. The stories are your pretty typical millitary/terrorist fare, with the main character intentionally getting into extremely dangerous situations, coming within inches of inescapable death, only to inexplicably get out of it every time. (Or does he? Dun dun dun!)

Richard Armitage is quite good in it, I think, although it's nothing Oscar (or Emmy) worthy. Andrew Lincoln is OK, with the rest of the cast ranging from likable to serviceable. No one is especially terrible...except for maybe John's daughter, although she's a very minor character. Thankfully.

Each arc is enjoyable, with the second being the best, in my opinion. You definitely don't want to wait too long in between each episode.

The villains are all very villainous, and they don't play around like your typical movie/tv villains. They're dangerous, and they won't hesitate to kill even children. :p

Season 2, also subtitled "Project Dawn" in the UK.
NHWzL.jpg

This is the show currently airing on Cinemax in America. It's technically the second season, but it features all new characters and storylines, so watching the first season isn't necessary. Although, there is a spoiler for the first season in the first episode of season two.

It's being co-financed by Cinemax and Sky, so in that respect, it's similar to the deal the BBC made with Starz on 'Torchwood'. Except Strike Back didn't turn into shit, like Torchwood supposedly did.

It stars Phillip Winchester and Sullivan Stapleton as Michael Stonebridge and Damien Scott, respectively. It's also filmed primarily in South Africa, as well as Europe.

The story, in a nutshell:

The story follows Stonebridge (a member of Section 20) and Scott (a former US Delta Force operative) as they track down a terrorist named Latif, who is planning something called "Project Dawn". Three episodes (of ten) have aired so far, so it's a little early to say, but season two seems to be following in the two episode arc pattern of the first season, with the first two episodes having a pretty self contained mini arc, as well as serving to introduce a season long conspiracy.

My impressions for season two are pretty much the same as with the first season. Lots of fun action, explosions, etc. However, because there are two main characters, both men, one British and one American, you get a lot of macho banter that's pretty crisp and amusing. The two guys have great chemistry together, although their relationship, at least at this point, is fairly typical in that they don't really like each other at first.

And because it's on Cinemax, the sex and nudity is ratcheted up a ton. There is A LOT of it, especially in the first episode. It does, however, fit in with the violence and gore nicely.

Overall, the individual ingredients are nothing special, but I think the show is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. It's extremely enjoyable to watch, and I'm surprised more people aren't watching. It's an action packed show, with lots of nudity (in the second season), macho banter, and perilous situations galore. If you don't go in expecting Mad Men, I think a lot of people here would like it a ton.

~Kinggi~

Banned
9c_d__0_FridayNightLightsSeason5.jpg

Finally finished up the 5th season. Watched the entire thing in 2 days. Definitely one of the best television shows ever produced. The finale was immaculate. I cried manly tears. It was so goddamn good. I cant believe this show got so ignored awards time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom