• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokemon: Dig, Dig for Victory!

gkkNllZ.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In olden times, back when there were only 152 Pokemon, a young boy named RED started his journey with nothing more than a few voices in his head. He was given guidance in the form of ABBBBBK(, whose fiery tail lit the way like a candle-light. And so RED found his way through the dark woods and into the bright world. He defeated a stone-cold tyrant, recruited a fledgling, and eventually wandered to the heart of a great mountain. There he met the creator and the destroyer, the spiral of life and the smooth sheen of death. Both offered their services.

The boy chose wisely.

RED and his companions grew strong, recognizing the voices as the song of the Helix. Along the way they found new friends: The midnight comedian, the decadent exorcist, the samurai with a name, and even the now thrice-cursed underminer. The team conquered roaring seas, thunderous storms, perilous cliffs, angry hikers, and even a cavern eternally blanketed in the Dome's dark underbelly.

But RED didn't make it out of that cave unscathed. As he entered the bright and beautiful Celadon metropolis, some new murmers pierced the holy hymn, whispering of a new prophet who would even surpass Blessed Pidgeot. At first he ignored the voices, determined to cut through the malignant foliage that had wrapped around a temple of the Helix. And when that was done, the siren song drew him to the top of a great tower.

ABBBBBB( by that point was old and weak; its body had been broken by the previous toils. The salamander knew that its role was finished, that its former pupil Pidgey had become a mighty warrior, and that RED now thought of it as a burden. Yet the moment it saw the glass-eyed Eeevee, it realized doom was upon them. It remembered that they needed one more warrior to take them across the ocean, and now a trickster was in its place. They had to make space, and there was only one place they could do that.

Coddled by his new "friend" and unable to comprehend the furious words of Helix, RED walked to the edge of a yawning chasm. This was the PC, the gate to both hell and limbo. He questioned the false prophet if his Pokemon would be safe there, and it only nodded and smiled. And with that confirmation, Red cast Pidgeot into the abyss. We would have lost our greatest hero if but not for ABBBBBB( and Jay Leno, who threw themselves in after it. The two unleashed the last of their energy to toss Pidgeot back to the heavens, and then quietly perished.

RED lost two Pokemon that day. Bitter and angry, the Helix followed ABBBBBB('s example and bided its time, and now it has struck great vengeance.
Wow. Just wow.

Congrats, man. This is amazing.

Toxi

Banned
Flareon actually would have a pretty good movest for what we're doing. Lots of physical attacks to put his 130 Attack stat to good use and his fire moves are backed by a very respectable 110 Special stat. He was guarenteed to learn at least Ember, which is more than we can say about our dearly departed Charmeleon, with the possibility of learning Fire Spin and Flamethrower, and few status moves to get in the way. If we actually leveled and used him, instead of making him the scapegoat and releasing him, he would have been a very good member of our team. Especially since we needed a new fire type.

The whole "Flareon has no moves" thing is from games after R/B where the Special stat was split up into Special Attack and Special Defense and Flareon took a hit to his Special Attack stat when most Fire moves use Special Attack. In gen 6 games though, he can learn Flare Blitz which is a hard-hitting Fire move that uses Attack, so it doesn't really apply any more.
Yep. The only problem was that we weren't able to grind the puffball to level 31 with Jesus Bird gobbling all the exp. From a practical perspective, releasing Flareon was a fucking stupid thing.

The streamer needs to fix how he handles multiple command inputs since the game only interprets it as one tile move. I'm assuming each input is put in per frame and since the moving tile to tile animation lasts longer than 1 frame, the subsequent input is dropped, which is why votes like rightup just ends up turning into right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Flareon actually would have a pretty good movest for what we're doing. Lots of physical attacks to put his 130 Attack stat to good use and his fire moves are backed by a very respectable 110 Special stat. He was guarenteed to learn at least Ember, which is more than we can say about our dearly departed Charmeleon, with the possibility of learning Fire Spin and Flamethrower, and few status moves to get in the way. If we actually leveled and used him, instead of making him the scapegoat and releasing him, he would have been a very good member of our team. Especially since we needed a new fire type.

The whole "Flareon has no moves" thing is from games after R/B where the Special stat was split up into Special Attack and Special Defense and Flareon took a hit to his Special Attack stat when most Fire moves use Special Attack. In gen 6 games though, he can learn Flare Blitz which is a hard-hitting Fire move that uses Attack, so it doesn't really apply any more.

Still has terrible typing and movepool though. Though I'm not sure how much better Leafeon or Glaceon are. And Umbreon is now overshadowed as a special wall. I think Vapereon, Jolteon and Espeon are still viable (mostly thanks to passives) but I havent looked at serious pokemon in a while.

Wallach

The streamer needs to fix how he handles multiple command inputs since the game only interprets it as one tile move. I'm assuming each input is put in per frame and since the moving tile to tile animation lasts longer than 1 frame, the subsequent input is dropped, which is why votes like rightup just ends up turning into right.

Rightup does input properly. They are spaced out by a few seconds each to make sure they aren't dropped. If these compound commands weren't working we wouldn't have solved the maze.

Timeaisis

They're not turning into right, they're buffered. It goes right, waits a while, then goes up. The input in between is probably lost, however.

PBalfredo

Are we playing competitive matches here or struggling to get through a floor maze millions of 9 year olds have gotten through?

Exactly. Why are people trying to apply sophomoric Smogon rankings to a single-player run? In single player pokemon it's all about going in with heavy hitters and type-advantage and one-shotting the competition. And in our team no one could potentially hit harder than Flareon.

The game inputs both commands. The second one is just delayed.

UH-OH, SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE DOESN'T WANT PROGRESS TO BE MADE. I BET YOU ENJOY WALKING AROUND IN CIRCLES FOR HOURS. HOW DO YOU EXPECT ANYTHING TO GET DONE WITH 90K PEOPLE WITHOUT REGULATION?

(I know you're being facetious)

Yeah, but progress was still made with total anarchy. Democracy makes things so smooth I might as well watch a really slow lets play.

Top Bottom