• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

baconcow

I find it extremely annoying to scroll through all the levels when you get back in the game. Any way to do it faster ?

Up and down seem to jump through about 10 or so.

Another question. Is there anyway to pause and restart a level, or do you need to pause and quit then go back to the level page and start again? Sometimes I mess up and want to restart a level.

Zia

Any tips for dealing with the bulls or yaks or whatever? I'm finding then really tedious, at odds with the flow of things up until the point they're introduced.

baconcow

Something happened. I had played several classic games, improving my lives and scores all the way to level 22. I even start quit and restarted several of them, to get to that point. Restarted the game, now, and all the scores are back to what it was yesterday. I know they had saved because I had went back to classic level select and chosen the new levels there. Like, for example, I have 7 lives at level 21 and was able to restart that one from the menu several times to get 8 lives at 22. Now I have 2 lives at 22 and a much lower score than before (by around 150k). Anyone else have this issue?

Something happened. I had played several classic games, improving my lives and scores all the way to level 22. I even start quit and restarted several of them, to get to that point. Restarted the game, now, and all the scores are back to what it was yesterday. I know they had saved because I had went back to classic level select and chosen the new levels there. Like, for example, I have 7 lives at level 21 and was able to restart that one from the menu several times to get 8 lives at 22. Now I have 2 lives at 22 and a much lower score than before (by around 150k). Anyone else have this issue?

I was farming lives in classic too, heh. It doesn't seem to save unless you die and get a game over, or advance to a new level. So I just started on a lower level where I had fewer lives and died a few times. Basically, if you don't see the dodecahedron in the corner, it's not saved.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone else have a bug in the between level segment after level 36? (Cattle grid?) I am never able to get to the center and can score at most 250 points per loop.

elhav

Any tips for dealing with the bulls or yaks or whatever? I'm finding then really tedious, at odds with the flow of things up until the point they're introduced.
It's important to not shoot them when they are somewhat close, because you are almost certain to be hit by their horns. Only shoot them from a distance, and when shooting them try to go to the opposite direction of them, to get as far as possible from the horns.

In later levels it becomes really hard to stay away from them and then you will have to really be careful. They can be the hardest enemies around if you don't learn how to deal with them. Once you do they are the same as other enemies. When they all come together it gets really really tense though,

baconcow

I was farming lives in classic too, heh. It doesn't seem to save unless you die and get a game over, or advance to a new level. So I just started on a lower level where I had fewer lives and died a few times. Basically, if you don't see the dodecahedron in the corner, it's not saved.

An odd design choice. I see that now, though. I didn't get any game over's before I reset the game. Doesn't make sense to not have auto-saving each time you get a new "Best Set" (even if only after you start - end).

Shaneus

I was farming lives too, but I haven't noticed anything not saved. Only bug I've noticed in classic is if you do a level where spikes are created, quit and restart that level, the spikes will remain. Very odd, could be a design decision but I doubt it.

It's important to not shoot them when they are somewhat close, because you are almost certain to be hit by their horns. Only shoot them from a distance, and when shooting them try to go to the opposite direction of them, to get as far as possible from the horns.

In later levels it becomes really hard to stay away from them and then you will have to really be careful. They can be the hardest enemies around if you don't learn how to deal with them. Once you do they are the same as other enemies. When they all come together it gets really really tense though,
Also, be wary of using supertapper with a number of them on the ribbon, because when you use it it means their horns will all be flying in your direction at once.

baconcow

I was farming lives too, but I haven't noticed anything not saved.

I checked it out again. It only seems to save when starting the game for the first time and after each game over. So, if you pause and quit and never get a game over, you'll notice it will not save. Seems that you can easily force the game to save by changing a setting, like music volume.

How exactly does farming lives work? I've been struggling with 1 life on level 27, cause I suck at this!

Shaneus

That's weird, because I'm sure I've quit out after getting to a higher level but didn't die and it still saved. But I made sure that when I was on the main title screen the loading thing came up, I don't know if it's possible to make progress and restart without it, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
How exactly does farming lives work? I've been struggling with 1 life on level 27, cause I suck at this!
If you complete a level with for examples 7 lives, then you play the next level and die 3 times, then dont progress in the game. Just quit the level and start over again. This way you will start with 7 lives on that level, and then try to die as little as possible before continuing to the next level.

You dont necessarily have to restart the level if you just die one or two times though, because at the later levels, the extra lives are coming more frequently. Also keep in mind that you will lose all warp triangles collected when restarting a level. If your main goal is to beat the game and not to get the highest score possible, then losing the warp triangles doesnt matter though.

baconcow

That's weird, because I'm sure I've quit out after getting to a higher level but didn't die and it still saved. But I made sure that when I was on the main title screen the loading thing came up, I don't know if it's possible to make progress and restart without it, though.

I'll check on that, when I play next.

Also, for the person asking about farming lives. You have to make sure you get a higher score with more lives, too, so it sets Best Set. Seems that getting more lives or more score, alone, isn't enough. From my trials, you need <Lives equal or greater then current high lives amount for that level> + <Score greater equal or greater than current high score amount for that level>, as long as they are not both equal to the current amounts.

Skyzard

Banned
^ make sure you don't quit from the pause screen and exit the game without triggering the auto-save if you're playing a lot in classic mode.

it triggers when you die.

Anyone else have a bug in the between level segment after level 36? (Cattle grid?) I am never able to get to the center and can score at most 250 points per loop.
This is the motion quirk that gets mentioned frequently. Basically, you need to hold the Vita in a "normal" position. ie. as you would whilst sitting down.

If you hold it whilst reclining, laying down, or some other different orientation then the motion controls don't work properly.

The result is that the rings during the transition start way off centre and can be very difficult or impossible to centre.

Some of us are hoping there's an option to switch off motion controls in the next patch. Or that the issue is fixed in some other way.

jvm

Gamasutra.
This is the motion quirk that gets mentioned frequently. Basically, you need to hold the Vita in a "normal" position. ie. as you would whilst sitting down.

If you hold it whilst reclining, laying down, or some other different orientation then the motion controls don't work properly.

The result is that the rings during the transition start way off centre and can be very difficult or impossible to centre.

Some of us are hoping there's an option to switch off motion controls in the next patch. Or that the issue is fixed in some other way.
Sorry, but no.

If I start at a level before this and play through level 35, 36, and 37 without stopping and without moving my system, then I only have a problem with the bonus level after 36. Both the bonuses for 35 and 37 will be fine.

That's why I'm asking specifically about 36. It's the only one I have a problem with.

Shaneus

I'll check on that, when I play next.

Also, for the person asking about farming lives. You have to make sure you get a higher score with more lives, too, so it sets Best Set. Seems that getting more lives or more score, alone, isn't enough. From my trials, you need <Lives equal or greater then current high lives amount for that level> + <Score greater equal or greater than current high score amount for that level>, as long as they are not both equal to the current amounts.
But of course, generally if you can survive longer per life you should have a higher score :)

BuzzJive

I just posted a Pure score that I would appreciate you guys letting stick for a few days. I got number 1 with clearing the game - 7,804,841. Almost 700,000 more than the previous top score. Boom! I'm pretty happy about that :)

Also, Jeff, I didn't get my trophy - maybe because I got a bonus board on level 100 as previously mentioned.

panda-zebra

I just posted a Pure score that I would appreciate you guys letting stick for a few days. I got number 1 with clearing the game - 7,804,841. Almost 700,000 more than the previous top score. Boom! I'm pretty happy about that :)

Also, Jeff, I didn't get my trophy - maybe because I got a bonus board on level 100 as previously mentioned.

Very good effort! As someone who still hasn't got around to even completing the game on classic, I'm in awe :)

Someone has > 9 million on the pure leaderboards now! I'm still just shy of 2 million myself (so many wasted lives!). I really want to see some of those top player playthroughs!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Congratulations!

Am I third now then? I'll have to check. I was on course for a really good score but I died on level 99! I was on about 6.3m, I think this run would have got me about 6.5ish, so still not up to you, but well done :)

I really want that trophy, very frustrating!

elhav

Number 20 in both Pure and Survival. Guess that's just my number :)

I think I'm gonna take a break from this game. It's good, but it's too adictive and I have other games I want to play.

Havoc2049

I finished off classic today with a score of around 5.6 million and ranked like 41st. I could probably go back like 10-20 levels and redo those and maybe break 6 million. I think if I want to get in the top 20 though, I would have to start over. That 9 million+ score is just insane.

BuzzJive

1) How does the end-level ring scoring work? 0, 250, 500, or 750 points. What is with the YES YES YES YES? Why do I sometimes see a red heard when I go through the rings and I don't see a score pop up?

2) When playing classic, I see a purple score gauge above the regular score on the left. It seems to count down, seemingly with score. It is not always there. What is it?

3) For the best set to overwrite, for claasic restart, you need to have best score at that level and equal or more than best lives, right? Otherwise, when does best score or most lives update?

4) Are all bonuses updates random in order? Are some bonuses only points. I find myself getting AI droid before jump, sometimes.

I've been meaning to answer these for you too, since only some got answered.

2) As far as I can tell, this will show you how close you are to setting a new high score record for the board you are playing. As you get close, it shows up in purple, and begins counting down as you get more points. Then it changes color just slightly and counts up, so you know how far over your previous score you now are. I don't know why it doesn't always show up - that's a mystery to me. I like the concept, but I wish it were a bit more consistent.

4) From my experience, every level has it's own sequence for the bonuses. They are not random, but the same every time you play that level. The only thing that will change that sequence is a 1up, which can show up at any point in there as far as I can tell. But that 1up won't replace something in the sequence, it just delays the sequence until the next pickup spawns.

Shaneus

Quick question for those who have completed classic (or at least, hit level 90):
That one enemy that sits at the far end of the ribbon and behaves kind of like the droid, movies in the one direction and fires intermittently... they can't be killed, can they? Because I've noticed the supertapper doesn't kill them, neither does any bullets (from what I can tell).

Shaneus

Finally, Classic finished. 5.917m, enough to get me #33 on the leaderboards. Thing that sucks is I know I can do *way* better, so I'm surprised there are so few people ahead of me.

I know I can do better on the last level, just burned through lives. Had 7 to start with, finished with three I think. Given the bonus for lives left, I should be able to get into the top 20.

baconcow

I've been meaning to answer these for you too, since only some got answered.

2) As far as I can tell, this will show you how close you are to setting a new high score record for the board you are playing. As you get close, it shows up in purple, and begins counting down as you get more points. Then it changes color just slightly and counts up, so you know how far over your previous score you now are. I don't know why it doesn't always show up - that's a mystery to me. I like the concept, but I wish it were a bit more consistent.

4) From my experience, every level has it's own sequence for the bonuses. They are not random, but the same every time you play that level. The only thing that will change that sequence is a 1up, which can show up at any point in there as far as I can tell. But that 1up won't replace something in the sequence, it just delays the sequence until the next pickup spawns.

2) The purple number is fairly consistent, from what I have recently observed. It won't count down as a highscore indicater if your lives are less than the best set lives at that next level save. It only shows a countdown if you actually have a chance to get a best set. It turns green when positive meaning you have passed your current best set high score and lives. Also, it won't count down from the necessary needed score during your first level attempt before the previous high score is added to it (after completing the first Classic stage). The only thing that gets me is when the score turns blue, at times.

5) Is 11 the max lives?

BuzzJive

2) The purple number is fairly consistent, from what I have recently observed. It won't count down as a highscore indicater if your lives are less than the best set lives at that next level save. It only shows a countdown if you actually have a chance to get a best set. It turns green when positive meaning you have passed your current best set high score and lives. Also, it won't count down from the necessary needed score during your first level attempt before the previous high score is added to it (after completing the first Classic stage). The only thing that gets me is when the score turns blue, at times.

5) Is 11 the max lives?

2) I was noticing that last night for my latest Classic run. Looks like it's figured out then.

5) Yes. I kept wondering why it was so hard to get another 1up once you hit 11. But as soon as you die, 1ups will show again. It's an interesting design choice on that.

BTW - I finally wrapped up another Classic run - I'm at #3. I know I can do better, but I'm not sure I can do #1 score better. That is still 1.3 mil higher than my latest.

Footos22

This game is hard as hell. Just working through the levels slowly. Sod the pure mode and survival trophies though lol. No one has got them yet. True god if they do.

BuzzJive

So I've noticed that the bonuses are more related to time than number of enemies killed. What I mean is, that if I kill enemies very slowly - waiting for them to get on the rim, and shooting them one at a time til a bonus shows up - you can generate more bonus items. So X amount of time needs to go by before another bonus will show up, and you need to kill Y enemies to produce the bonus. Any enemies you kill while a bonus is in play or I think during the X amount of time before the bonus is available again, don't count towards producing a bonus.

That seems to be the best way to maximize your score, but it drastically changes the gameplay. I don't like playing that way as much - not because it's that much harder - but because it just doesn't feel as pure. I prefer the offensive gameplay style to the defenisive gameplay style.

Also, I'm back to thinking the bonuses have a weighted random order per level. Some bonuses just seem more likely to show up on certain boards earlier than at other times. It doesn't seem completely random, but it's not exactly the same each time either.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Is there a way I can understand how many rings I get to try between rounds? Sometimes I'm moving slowly and I only get 11-12 rings (estimating). Other times I'm really flying and I get closer to 20 rings.

BuzzJive

Is there a way I can understand how many rings I get to try between rounds? Sometimes I'm moving slowly and I only get 11-12 rings (estimating). Other times I'm really flying and I get closer to 20 rings.

It depends on the number of warp triangles you have. It gradually gets faster (with more rings) from 0-3.

Footos22

Finished classic mode. Will go back for pure skill trophy and then.sod the.other 2. Some of those levels are a mind fuck lol

Pookmunki

You know, that stretch of gameplay around 'bull ride', with Noise Pulse reaching its peak may end up being my fave gaming moment of the year.

It may not be the hardest section but gameplay, visuals and music combined for something special - where I fell for the game.

Goosebumps were felt, I feel cosmic every time :)

BuzzJive

I did finish in Pure but the trophy didn't pop :'(

I did another full Pure run yesterday and still no trophy. I told myself I'd wait for an update for him to fix it, but I couldn't stay away. I also happened to get the bonus game on the last board again. Oh well.

Also, the trophy for Pure Skills is inconsistent. My first full Pure run didn't give me that trophy, despite getting past level 33 of course. My second full Pure run did, and I definitely died before level 33 a couple times. I'm not sure what really triggers that trophy.

Also, I'm number 2 again on Pure :-D. That top score......

dugdug

Banned
Is there any way to get more lives in Survival mode? Is the trophy really only for finishing the game, from 1 to 100, with 3 lives?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I did another full Pure run yesterday and still no trophy. I told myself I'd wait for an update for him to fix it, but I couldn't stay away. I also happened to get the bonus game on the last board again. Oh well.

Also, the trophy for Pure Skills is inconsistent. My first full Pure run didn't give me that trophy, despite getting past level 33 of course. My second full Pure run did, and I definitely died before level 33 a couple times. I'm not sure what really triggers that trophy.

Also, I'm number 2 again on Pure :-D. That top score......

How annoying!

But well done you! I couldn't keep away either but on my last 2 runs I choked around level 95. If you lose concentration it's easy to lose loads of lives in a row.

My current run is up to around level 50 with max lives and a good score. Waiting to choke again...

I honestly think this is the best game on the Vita and probably the best thing I've played in a long long time.

You guys are amazing at this game. I'm terrible at it but I love it anyway. My high score is just over 2 million.

Is there a way to randomize the song playlist at all? Or are the tracks specific to the level?

Love this game

Is N20 [ps1] available in US? If so, check it out.

It is. It's pretty cool. I have good memories of playing it back in the day

Havoc2049

I finished Classic again yesterday and now I'm in the 7+ million club and currently ranked 15th. Only at 2.4 million on Pure and 1.8 million on Survival though and really need to bump those up.

This game is so fun and addicting. Good times indeed!

EvaristeG

Banned
Am I the only one experiencing a glitch when the music stops playing after a few sec ? Or is it done on purpose (glitch started around the 75th level)

BuzzJive

Am I the only one experiencing a glitch when the music stops playing after a few sec ? Or is it done on purpose (glitch started around the 75th level)

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread. Definitely throws the vibe off a bit at that point.

Shaneus

I have a problem where a song doesn't repeat around the later levels, but all the other music plays and repeats fine.

Top Bottom