• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TxK |OT| Feel Cosmic All the Time (aka next-gen Tempest 2000 on Vita)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Do you like fast paced games with crazy visuals and awesome music? If so, then most likely.

Do you like Tempest 2000? If yes, then definitely.

alright..
downloading it now

edit:

ok, what do you do about enemies that came all the way to up to the line on which you can move?
Sometimes I just run into them and can shoot them, other times I die.
How to handle this?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
alright..
downloading it now

edit:

ok, what do you do about enemies that came all the way to up to the line on which you can move?
Sometimes I just run into them and can shoot them, other times I die.
How to handle this?

Try and get them before they get there (obviously) .

Use the lean (L button) and time your firing so you get them just as they move onto you.

Use the supertapper (tap the screen or press circle) but you only get one per level.

Jump (once you get it) but be careful of projectiles.

Run away and hold out for the AI droid to come and save you.

Hope that helps!

panda-zebra

I know 4 people now who have bought a Vita just for TxK. They're all Jaguar and T2K fans, though, so maybe it doesn't count... but it still makes me happy!

Not played for 2 whole days now, my scores are sure to have plummeted down the tables. Time to put that right, taps running...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So is there any tactic I'm missing with the Bull Heads? Motherf*ckers.

Slowing down works for me, as in be careful of the area they are in. Jump less and when you do dont move until you're at the highest point and can see what projectiles are out there. And remember that if they so reach the rim they just move away again so there's no danger in saving them until things have cleared a bit.

They're horrible though, although it's really funny when you take out a load of them and all you can hear are bull noises.

BuzzJive

BTW - I've shied away from saying "Add me to the PSN list", but if you're wanting some TxK challenge, add me.

PSN: buzzj1ve

I just got my Vita not long ago and have very little else going on PSNwise. My kid actually beat Tearaway before I did. Until this game out, he was more likely to be on my Vita than I was. I do plan to pick up OlliOlli at some point though, since I've heard good things about the arcade style of it.

So it's not that I'm antisocial, it's just that I may make a good TxK friend for the next few weeks, but not a very good PSN friend overall.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beat the game today. Great game! :)

Maybe this is old news, but the "Pure skills" trophy, here you just have to not be game over, you can die, eventhough that the trophy description says that you cant.

Left analog. Still can't get gyro control to work, but it's all good now!
Ok, cool :) The gyro controls arent very sensitive in this game, so you have to move the Vita more for it to react.

EvaristeG

Banned
I have a few questions about the game :

1.How come I sometimes die when the level is "collapsing " ?
2.What's the purpose of triangles ?
3.What does supertapper recharge mean ?

panda-zebra

1. Green spikes up the lanes like in T2k? Although I seem to get occasional death I can't explain either!
2. Collect them to go to bonus level
3. Smart bomb (tap screen or O button, once per level, recharges after each.

Pookmunki

1. Probably stems left from flowers, the collapsing effect makes it hard to see them.

2. Collect 4 for a bonus level.

3. You have a smartbomb each level this is to remind you.

blahness

Maybe this is old news, but the "Pure skills" trophy, here you just have to not be game over, you can die, eventhough that the trophy description says that you cant.

Thanks! This is good to know and made me think of all of the times I have reset after dying once.

Ok, cool :) The gyro controls arent very sensitive in this game, so you have to move the Vita more for it to react.

After a bit more testing, it only seems to work if I play through the level with the analog stick. Playing with the d-pad, then trying to wiggle the stick before the tunnel shows up doesn't work.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks! This is good to know and made me think of all of the times I have reset after dying once.
I'm not sure if its a mistake in the game or just a mistake in the trophy description. Maybe you need to have 3 or more lives when you reach level 33, but this is just a wild guess from me. I wasnt going for the trophy, but it just popped when i reached level 33 on Pure mode, and i had then died several of times, but i played all in one sitting. I think i had over 3 lives at that point, but maybe i would have gotten the trophy even with less lives left.

After a bit more testing, it only seems to work if I play through the level with the analog stick. Playing with the d-pad, then trying to wiggle the stick before the tunnel shows up doesn't work.
I see, that can be good to know :)

BuzzJive

Space Giraffe committed a basic game design crime, where the trippy visual effects effected the visual clarity needed in a twitch shooter. The screen covered in hippy puke meant I'd often not see what killed me.

This I disagree with. The visual effects were indeed part of the challenge in Space Giraffe. Also, the audio was very essential in Space Giraffe. You could hear the enemies and obstacles to know what was ahead of you.

Again, I still miss a bit of the visual overkill that Space Giraffe delivered. The later levels in TxK are fantastic though from a more controlled chaos perspective. If I could get Jeff's attention here, I would ask him that when he releases TxK+ on other platforms that he includes a fourth mode where he lets his shader imagination run wild again and turns the visuals up beyond 11. I'd absolutely buy this again with some minor enhancements.

matmanx1

After spending the weekend with Bravely Default and Dangan Ronpa I was really in the mood for TxK tonight. Nothing like spending an hour with it to give you a fresh perspective on what a pure action game should be. It occurred to me tonight that as far as shooters go, TxK simply pushes all the right sensory buttons. Despite being a fairly simple game (compared to most of the stuff we get these days) it looks lovely, has an undeniably great soundtrack, features some wacky humor that I can't get enough of and rewards skillful play in a way that completely reels you in for just one more go.

What an absolutely brilliant game and what a fantastic counterpoint to the other great games that the Vita has gotten this month.

After spending the weekend with Bravely Default and Dangan Ronpa I was really in the mood for TxK tonight. Nothing like spending an hour with it to give you a fresh perspective on what a pure action game should be. It occurred to me tonight that as far as shooters go, TxK simply pushes all the right sensory buttons. Despite being a fairly simple game (compared to most of the stuff we get these days) it looks lovely, has an undeniably great soundtrack, features some wacky humor that I can't get enough of and rewards skillful play in a way that completely reels you in for just one more go.

What an absolutely brilliant game and what a fantastic counterpoint to the other great games that the Vita has gotten this month.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

blahness

This I disagree with. The visual effects were indeed part of the challenge in Space Giraffe. Also, the audio was very essential in Space Giraffe. You could hear the enemies and obstacles to know what was ahead of you.

Again, I still miss a bit of the visual overkill that Space Giraffe delivered. The later levels in TxK are fantastic though from a more controlled chaos perspective. If I could get Jeff's attention here, I would ask him that when he releases TxK+ on other platforms that he includes a fourth mode where he lets his shader imagination run wild again and turns the visuals up beyond 11. I'd absolutely buy this again with some minor enhancements.

I absolutely agree, but the problem with pushing the visuals up to 11 like Space Giraffe is that in SG you could sweep your bullets left or right to hear what you were moving against. Since you cannot so that in TxK it would be a lot more difficult to endure some of the later stages. I guess that would all be a good challenge then :). Plowing through the later levels of SG was way more rewarding compared to TxK.

Havoc2049

I've been a long time Minter/Llamasoft fan, going all the way back to Gridrunner on my Atari 8-bit computer as a kid. I really enjoyed Space Giraffe, but I enjoy TxK more. Up to this point, Tempest 2000 was my favorite Llamasoft game, but now I think TxK is my favorite.

Space Giraffe continued down the Tempest 3000 (TK3) path and everything just seemed too trippy, busy and blurry. Half the time I couldn't even read my score in TK3 or saw what killed me. Space Giraffe and especially T3K were Melt-O-Vision™ gone bad, IMO. Still good games, but not up to the quality of Tempest 2000.
TxK = Melt-O-Vision™ Happy Machine! :)

I just downloaded the TxK soundtrack. I also just noticed that Llamasoft is giving out Gridrunner++ (Windows) for free. If you guys haven't played it, it is an excellent game! GR++ doesn't have any music, so just jam to the TxK soundtrack while playing GR++ and you'll be in for a good time.

I've been wanting to pick up T2K for my Jag for a few years now, but eBay prices for it are really high.

I recently started looking to pick up the Saturn port, also with no luck due to high prices.

Thinking I'll just pick up the Vita Slim when it comes out and get TxK instead :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm up to #3 in Classic! Those top 2 are pretty impressive though.

This game has consumed me.

I know...everything else at the moment just feels a bit watered-down. Congratulations at being amazing at the game! Gives me something to aim for...

Shaneus

I've been wanting to pick up T2K for my Jag for a few years now, but eBay prices for it are really high.

I recently started looking to pick up the Saturn port, also with no luck due to high prices.

Thinking I'll just pick up the Vita Slim when it comes out and get TxK instead :)
This game is (probably) nothing without OLED. You have been advised.

I picked a copy on the Jag up for £20 last week, so it's not too high really. I don't even have a Jaguar to play it on!

Shinriji

Sb4topJ.jpg

THANK YOU COWS!

I know 4 people now who have bought a Vita just for TxK. They're all Jaguar and T2K fans, though, so maybe it doesn't count... but it still makes me happy!

That's really cool!

I bought this last night. (I'm no pro at this sort of thing, so don't bother adding me unless you want a good laugh!) Had a quick go - it's really nice, makes me want a Vita version of Geometry Wars or well... basically more stuff like this. Nice little Pitfall jumping sound effect, there.

Not sure if I'll ever be good enough to actually beat the game, but it's great fun and I just want to support this kind of game being brought out on new systems, especially handhelds (especially Vita lol).

Was pretty damn hyped when I just happened to load up the PS Store and see a fuckin' Llamasoft game on there. (I hadn't heard of this one at all until a couple days back!)

edit: I just remembered I had Tempest 2000 for the Saturn when that came out. It was pretty awesome.

Out of interest does anyone have Tempest X3 for PS1? Specifically the PAL version. The game supports the Negcon controller but i read a while back that the PAL version inexplicably removed support for it. Can anyone confirm?

Lhadatt

This game is (probably) nothing without OLED. You have been advised.
I know you're probably joking, but the LCD hate has been all over GAF, and it's kind of annoying. This is very much a case of confirmation bias.

I have a white/blue Vita Slim, and I've also played TxK on an OG Vita at PAX last summer. Yeah, the colors are better on the OLED, but not by much. The LCD is one of the best I've seen on any portable device. The Slim's screen does justice to TxK.

GAF needs to stop tripping on this non-issue and get back to tripping on this game.

elhav

I know you're probably joking, but the LCD hate has been all over GAF, and it's kind of annoying. This is very much a case of confirmation bias.

I have a white/blue Vita Slim, and I've also played TxK on an OG Vita at PAX last summer. Yeah, the colors are better on the OLED, but not by much. The LCD is one of the best I've seen on any portable device. The Slim's screen does justice to TxK.

GAF needs to stop tripping on this non-issue and get back to tripping on this game.
lol you can probably play TxK on a Vectrex and it will still play great.

Number45

You can sort of "walk" around by holding a direction + fire button and alternating the L shoulder button to move step-by-step while leaning. This is a good way to clear those guys who make it to the edge.
Yup, when the going gets tough this is pretty much what I do.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Dangit. You bumped me down then. I've got a little wiggle room to get back above you, but those top 2 scores are pretty impressive.

After reading this post I had to try to improve my score just to make it a little more difficult for you. My score is now 7.17m. Nowhere near the top 3, but hopefully you won't overtake me easily now.

Lhadatt

Was the US release ever patched yet to fix the friend roster crash bug? Very disheartening.

Yes, it was patched. It should update the game automatically, but you can probably force the upgrade through the PSN store by redownloading the game.

lol you can probably play TxK on a Vectrex and it will still play great.

Totally. A more modern vectory display would be interesting. Maybe something with lasers.

BuzzJive

After reading this post I had to try to improve my score just to make it a little more difficult for you. My score is now 7.17m. Nowhere near the top 3, but hopefully you won't overtake me easily now.

Hmmm. I MAY be able to swing that without going back too far, but it might be best to just get some better Pure runs at this point first. We'll see how I feel when I get home tonight :)

OmegaZero

So I booted up TxK this morning and discovered that it didn't save my progress. :/
The last stage I have unlocked is 13, with one (lol) life left in Classic mode.

Not that I'm complaining about another excuse to play TxK, but it still sucks. :b
Anyone else have a similar issue?

Damn this game. Really trying to get into it and understand it but it's not making it easy.

I finally got the hang of the gyro stuff. I kind've understand how to creep and shoot enemies on the rim.
But now I am up to level 12 and I keep dying and I don't even know what's killing me.
I'm not sure what's an enemy and what's not.
Is anything on screen that's not a + or a 1up an enemy!?
I don't understand the power ups either or when/why I should jump.

The game tells you nothing. I know some people like to work stuff out for themselves but not me, I want them to hold my hand until the training wheels are off.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
So after like 90 minutes straight on a Pure run, I'm #6 on the Pure leaderboard with a score of 4778499. Pretty damn draining so I'm not gonna be too eloquent right now lol.

Really surprised because I went about 10 levels past what I had seen before. Probably could've taken #5 but I made too many dumb mistakes along the way. Was only a couple hundred thousand to #5, but the top four were way beyond what I could've reached. Over a million away from me.

I guarantee that I'm gonna make it through the rest of the stages in Classic before trying that again. Who knows what kind of crazy nonsense awaits beyond level 70? Hell, with the things I've seen so far, I can't say I totally understand how everything works.

Some of the bonus levels get pretty crazy as you go along. I wish the bonus levels got crazier earlier on because the first few are a little dull and it's not like you lose anything if you fail.

I love this game.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
so are you guys the best TxK players in the world or the only ones who bought it :p

So, is there any way to defeat the new enemy on level 89? (anyone who's played the level knows what I'm talking about) I assume you can't kill it, since I used a supertapper and it still wouldn't go away.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So what exactly triggers the auto-saving? Every time I start the game it says I've only reached stage 15, and I even have the "Get to level 16" trophy.

Shaneus

Another discovery I made recently: Your score for the in-between level bits that flashes up is directly related to how close you are to the centre of the hoops. I think the range of scoring covers 250, 500, 750 and Heart (which I'd assume is 1000).

I'm also finding that now I'm becoming a lot more fluid with my movement. I'm used to the skating/inertia of the ship to the point where I don't really need to use L to creep to a lane to kill something, I can usually stop exactly where I need to kill the guy in that lane without fully entering it. It's kinda zen :)

So what exactly triggers the auto-saving? Every time I start the game it says I've only reached stage 15, and I even have the "Get to level 16" trophy.
If you quit before you got to the game over screen via start->select, maybe that would cause it?

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
If you quit before you got to the game over screen via start->select, maybe that would cause it?
Thanks, it worked. Terrible trigger though, it should save when you go to the main menu, or maybe let you save manually. I quit way to often before I get a game over.

Top Bottom