• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me (The Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Why me? At 59 I was 10st 7lb, 5ft 7in, and had never been overweight. I ran and played cricket regularly and didn't drink alcohol excessively. Yet at a routine check-up I was told that I had type 2 diabetes. In 10 years I could be dependent on insulin, it could affect my sight, feet, ears, heart and I had a 36% greater chance of dying early.

In type 1 diabetes, the body produces none of the insulin that regulates our blood sugar levels. Very high glucose levels can damage the body's organs. Patients with type 2 diabetes, however, do produce insulin - just not enough to keep their glucose levels normal. Because I was fit and not overweight (obesity is a major risk factor in type 2 diabetes; however, a number of non-obese people, particularly members of south Asian communities, are also prone to it), my doctor told me I could control my condition with diet alone.

Desperate for information, I headed to the web, where I found a report about a research trial at Newcastle University led by Professor Roy Taylor. His research suggested type 2 diabetes could be reversed by following a daily 800-calorie diet for eight weeks.

When our bodies are deprived of normal amounts of food they consume their own fat reserves, with the fat inside organs used up first. The idea of Taylor's diet is to use up the fat that is clogging up the pancreas and preventing it from creating insulin, until normal glucose levels return. With my GP's blessing and a home glucose-testing kit, I began my experiment.

The diet was strict: three litres of water a day, three 200-calorie food supplements (soups and shakes) and 200 calories of green vegetables. Thanks to my doctor's dietary guidance, and running three times a week, I had already lost a stone. Yet my glucose levels were still above 6mmol/L (millimols per litre), the upper limit for a healthy person without diabetes. According to Taylor, I had to lose a sixth of my pre-diagnosis bodyweight.

Type 2 Diabetes sufferers are not always overweight. Around 1/3 get diagnosed under normal BMI levels.

This diet is a pretty strict medical intervention, but at least sufferers are getting more options to help reverse the disease.

Link

borborygmus

The idea of Taylor's diet is to use up the fat that is clogging up the pancreas and preventing it from creating insulin, until normal glucose levels return.

So I guess this isn't the typical case of insulin resistant diabetes. In the typical case, insulin resistance precedes type 2 diabetes by years.

This is misleading:

Patients with type 2 diabetes, however, do produce insulin - just not enough to keep their glucose levels normal

The "not enough" amount is typically due to insulin resistance, meaning normal amounts of insulin are less effective, not the pancreas being clogged by fat.

Greddleok

This is like...old news. The drug of choice for T2 diabetics is metformin, which in part, basically mimics a very low calorie diet by activating the pathways involved in fasting.

Are people more likely to take a pill, or follow a very strict diet? Obviously there are some outliers who will happily go through the suffering involved in fasting, but most people would laugh in their doctor's face if they said "I can give you this pill, or you can go on a crash diet."

jett

D-Member
I did something similar a couple of years ago after being diagnosed with diabetes. I followed a strict low-carb diet for several months. I cut off rice, soda, pasta, bread, cookies... Anything with a high amount of carbs/sugar. In one week my gluclose level dropped from 290 to 158, in two weeks it was down to 107. Soon enough my usual reading was around 90. I did this just with the diet and with no medication. I don't follow this super strict diet anymore, but I do try to eat healthy still. It's rare for me ever eat white rice or drink soda. And on the bonus side, I dropped 40 pounds.

So I guess this isn't the typical case of insulin resistant diabetes. In the typical case, insulin resistance precedes type 2 diabetes by years.

This is misleading:

The "not enough" amount is typically due to insulin resistance, meaning normal amounts of insulin are less effective, not the pancreas being clogged by fat.

That is what i got from reading about the ketogenic diet, seems more like
eating veggies kept insuline and blood glucose levels normal. But my knowledge is
too limited to say for sure.

Only 800kcal seems like hell for me, unless you get into keto and burn excess fat.

jmdajr

I reduced sugar/refined carbs in my diet to almost zero levels, and now it's almost hard keeping the weight on.

Yeah my blood sugar was reaching pre diabetic levels, and now it's in the 80s.

This is great book if you want to look into the biochemistry of the obesity , and the environment that turns it against you in epic proportions.
fructose is literally poison.

51MgtMvBs6L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

edit:
a few facts.

20% of overweight people....never get metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high bad cholesterol..... which leads to heart disease, diabetes, cancer.)
40% of normal weight people have metabolic syndrome.

Visceral fat is what kills you, not subcutaneous fat (no detriment from big booty)

A calorie is not a calorie.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Simply said, type 2 diabetes is the combination of two things:

1. Insulin resistance, and
2. Relative insulin deficiency

Only when your pancreas reaches the threshold of not being able to 'keep up' with the ever-increasing demand of insulin, you develop type 2 diabetes.

Point one can certainly be improved upon by dieting. This is not news.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, I don't know of any pancreas clogging fat mechanics.

I have a bmi of 27 and I'm pre diabetic. I think newer data is suggesting testing earlier.

I had a fasting glucose of 105. We were taught to not worry unless it was over 120. But the limits are lower. And my hgbA1c was 5.9 or something.

So I've cut my calories to 1800-2000 a day and started working out. I figured it's best to do that now than in 10 years. Life long change and all of that.

Bottom line, you may not think you need to be checked but maybe you should ask you doctor. Everyone says I don't 'look' fat but that means nothing.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So in short, this is simply a low calorie diet. I wonder what the macronutrient breakdown is.

no. it's about keeping carbs down. you can run a 3500 calorie low carb diet (I mean it would be hard, but you could), put on weight/fat and stuff, and still be relatively safe from diabetes. Conversely you could run a maintenance diet (exact caloric needs) with like 70-80% carbs and likely end up with Type 2 over time.

Type 1 diabetes is genetic. Type 2 is virtually always self-induced through long term diet.

Shouldn't that be 'too much fructose is poison'? Because, otherwise, so is water.

correct. the term "poison" is largely disingenuous. something can be poisonous given the proper dosage. the term "poison" largely refers to chemicals which are poisonous in even the most minute doses. fructose doesn't count as that IMHO, however yes... fructose doesn't really require a super high dose before your body starts treating it as toxic. kind of the same with alcohol.

jmdajr

Shouldn't that be 'too much fructose is poison'? Because, otherwise, so is water.

As a nutrient it's useless. If you eat it in the form of fruit it's ok, because you get the fiber and vitamins etc.

No it's not acute damage, it's chronic damage.

edit: About the only people that can make use of fructose are athletes (the only people that should be drinking gatorade). The other 90% of people.. it's just turning into visceral fat in the liver.
Which you can't see...and why it's so dangerous until it's out of control.

jmdajr

correct. the term "poison" is largely disingenuous. something can be poisonous given the proper dosage. the term "poison" largely refers to chemicals which are poisonous in even the most minute doses. fructose doesn't count as that IMHO, however yes... fructose doesn't really require a super high dose before your body starts treating it as toxic. kind of the same with alcohol.

And alcohol comes from...? Sugar. Kinda crazy. You never really think of it.
I didn't.

Water over time isn't going to kill you unless you are from Michigan.

borghe

As a nutrient it's useless. If you eat it in the form of fruit it's ok, because you get the fiber and vitamins etc.

No it's not acute damage, it's chronic damage.

edit: About the only people that can make use of fructose are athletes (the only people that should be drinking gatorade). The other 90% of people.. it's just turning into visceral fat in the liver.
Which you can't see...and why it's so dangerous until it's out of control.

meh, as someone who is highly active, there are cleaner carbs out there than fructose for recovery. I'd go with a bowl of white rice way before fruit juice or something. even in crossfit's "100 words of fitness" fruit gets called out as "some fruit" (along with starches).

jmdajr

meh, as someone who is highly active, there are cleaner carbs out there than fructose for recovery. I'd go with a bowl of white rice way before fruit juice or something. even in crossfit's "100 words of fitness" fruit gets called out as "some fruit" (along with starches).

The Doctor who wrote the book said he asked the Surgeon General why nutrition labels never lists the recommended amount of sugar per day.

His answer.

"Because it's not a nutrient."

edit: yes glucose is actually a good source of energy. (starch) But it is better consumed with the fiber. (brown rice etc.)

borborygmus

even in crossfit's "100 words of fitness" fruit gets called out as "some fruit" (along with starches).

Crossfit really isn't a valid reference for anything.

Also, there is a recommended upper limit for added sugar. Other sugars are too hard to keep track of and you should defer to carbs/calories for those.

or rebrand it as: The War on Fat People.

It's probably more accurate anyway.

The problem is the government created an association between dietary fat and body fat that has plagued people for decades.

Unfortunately, the average person is unable to grasp that an appropriate consumption of dietary fat does not lead to gaining body fat. That is why stores are still packed full of low fat products (pumped full of sugar so they still are edible). It is all due to consumer demand as a direct result to this decades-old fallacious meme.

Yeah it was all bullshit and did MASSIVE damage.

But hey, eat Margarine!

CSPI said it's fine, so it has to be true.

jmdajr

The problem is the government created an association between dietary fat and body that has plagued people for decades.

Unfortunately, the average person is unable to grasp that an appropriate consumption of dietary fat does not lead to gaining body fat. That is why stores are still packed full of low fat products (pumped full of sugar so they still are edible). It is all due to consumer demand as a direct result to this decades-old fallacious meme.

Finding yogurt with fat in it is almost impossible.

borghe

The new federal government dietary guidelines are still very skeptical on fats. They still recommend low fat diary over full fat.

http://universityofcalifornia.edu/news/what-know-about-new-federal-dietary-guidelines

have to remain skeptical of fat... "fats" in the sense of modern processed (and even grown) food are a sea of rough waters. easier for them to remain skeptical, then perform the difficult education of what to avoid and what to head towards. and even the "good" fats (god I hate when people say that) can still be over-eaten, which will still cause weight gain, unhealthiness, etc. Granted eating a realistic amount of carbs makes it difficult to over eat protein and fats in general.. but they still have to navigate staying away from grain-based fats, staying away from some saturated fats but others are ok, oh and if your animal fat derived in the animal from a natural way that's fine, but if it was a grain/feed/animal diet then stay away..

heck, even fish you have the vast gulf between farm raised and wild caught nutritional values.

a wonder why western nutrition is a fucking mess.
Finding yogurt with fat in it is almost impossible.

most larger stores and "wholistic" stores will carry full fat yogurts that are usually grass fed. but yeah, it's rough because of the war on fat. yet the companies have zero problem tossing in like 15g of cane sugar instead.

entremet

have to remain skeptical of fat... "fats" in the sense of modern processed (and even grown) food are a sea of rough waters. easier for them to remain skeptical, then perform the difficult education of what to avoid and what to head towards. and even the "good" fats (god I hate when people say that) can still be over-eaten, which will still cause weight gain, unhealthiness, etc. Granted eating a realistic amount of carbs makes it difficult to over eat protein and fats in general.. but they still have to navigate staying away from grain-based fats, staying away from some saturated fats but others are ok, oh and if your animal fat derived in the animal from a natural way that's fine, but if it was a grain/feed/animal diet then stay away..

heck, even fish you have the vast gulf between farm raised and wild caught nutritional values.

a wonder why western nutrition is a fucking mess.
I've always been a fan of Brazil's guidelines, which are more rules of thumb than minute macronutrient recommendations. There is one there, but it's not as dogmatic as the US guidelines and easier to follow.

The US will never have similar guidelines because the food companies and fast food lobby would riot.

The ten Brazilian guidelines:

• Prepare meals from staple and fresh foods.
  • Use oils, fats, sugar and salt in moderation.
  • Limit consumption of ready-to-consume food and drink products
  • Eat regular meals, paying attention, and in appropriate environments.
  • Eat in company whenever possible.
  • Buy food at places that offer varieties of fresh foods. Avoid those that mainly sell products ready for consumption.
  • Develop, practice, share and enjoy your skills in food preparation and cooking.
  • Plan your time to give meals and eating proper time and space.
  • When you eat out, choose restaurants that serve freshly made dishes and meals. Avoid fast food chains.
  • Be critical of the commercial advertisement of food products.

Kraftwerk

I did something similar a couple of years ago after being diagnosed with diabetes. I followed a strict low-carb diet for several months. I cut off rice, soda, pasta, bread, cookies... Anything with a high amount of carbs/sugar. In one week my gluclose level dropped from 290 to 158, in two weeks it was down to 107. Soon enough my usual reading was around 90. I did this just with the diet and with no medication. I don't follow this super strict diet anymore, but I do try to eat healthy still. It's rare for me ever eat white rice or drink soda. And on the bonus side, I dropped 40 pounds.

Thats amazing. Congrats man.

My mom was recently diagnosed. I will tell her to alk to her doctor about this.

jmdajr

Over eating fat, without sugar....isn't ever really a problem.
It's almost always together when it's abused. Donuts, cakes, cookies, ice cream

I don't really see people getting Fat from putting loads of Olive Oil on their Salads.

"3 table spoons of Extra Virgin!!!! Woah Bro, watch the calories"

People eating too much fat without sugar is a non issue.

borghe

right.. 1200 calories of chips no problem. 1200 calories of hamburger and I'm going to struggle big time.

Lego Boss

I've just been for a blood test today to check for this (part of the NHS's 40+ health check) and although I'm fit (lift 2 x a week, run 10k x 1 a week) I've got a nasty feeling that I'm pre-diabetic (I don't know the results yet).

I eat chocolate like there's a cocoa bean shortage (I can easily munch 200g in a session, but I've stopped doing that over the last year or so) and although I'm not 'fat', I've got that kind of prison muscle or 'big man' boxer build, which is solid, but still 'fatty' all the same.

I'm pretty heavy (210 pounds) and I reckon the nurse is going so say my BMI is off the chart even though I am 6' 1 tall.

I used to box and my trainer said that it's not about how hard you work out, but what you put in. I think it's going to bite me on the ass GAF . . . .

borghe

popular term the past couple of years is "skinny fat". basically girls (or guys) who are relatively healthy BMI, but with god awful diets (usually lots of alcohol as well) so are just like you are saying.. all of the signs of obesity (rough blood work, pre-diabetic, etc) without the obvious sign (extreme weight/fat). The thing is, because BMI or "looks" are "ok", they don't even give a thought to the damage they're doing. extremely common with ectomorphs where a higher body fat percentage ends up making them look more "normal" by modern "notions"

My grandmother followed something along these lines when she was diagnosed. Completely cleaned up her diet and lifestyle. She now has normal levels and no medication anymore. She is still sticking to a healthy life though, I'm sure it would come back at her again if she went back to old ways.

popular term the past couple of years is "skinny fat". basically girls (or guys) who are relatively healthy BMI, but with god awful diets (usually lots of alcohol as well) so are just like you are saying.. all of the signs of obesity (rough blood work, pre-diabetic, etc) without the obvious sign (extreme weight/fat). The thing is, because BMI or "looks" are "ok", they don't even give a thought to the damage they're doing. extremely common with ectomorphs where a higher body fat percentage ends up making them look more "normal" by modern "notions"

Skinny fat is more about visceral (organ) fat, though, and goes along with little exercise and organ stress (like from excessive alcohol consumption).

Sugar almost never sets off that warning that your full.

I stop eating ice cream..because there is no more.

Why would your body need a mechanism to stop eating sugar under "normal" conditions? Glucose and simple carbs are easily converted to energy and stored as fat, so it makes sense that people would be compelled to eat as much as they could. Double that when the other energy source, fat, is in the food too.

Of course, for most of man's history that would be after they found an edible tuber or something after an hour of searching rather than driving to the store for Ben and Jerry's.

jmdajr

Skinny fat is more about visceral (organ) fat, though, and goes along with little exercise and organ stress (like from excessive alcohol consumption).

The book mentions people who are overweight(not obese) and exercise, will outlive those are are underweight and never exercise.

It's all about the Metabolic Syndrome in the end and yes, 80% of overweight people will have it to some degree. More than the normal weight people.

Good advice by jmdajr.
Read the book he recommended. There is also a great documentary on this topic called FED UP.

Loosing weight and staying health is fucking easy if you know how.

borghe

Good advice by jmdajr.
Read the book he recommended. There is also a great documentary on this topic called FED UP.

Loosing weight and staying health is fucking easy if you know how.
never say this. (the easy part). It's easy once it becomes habit. But even knowing how, prior to it becoming habit it can seem (and in some ways is) nearly insurmountable. smokers know how to quit smoking, but it's not easy. Same thing with changing your relationship with food. building good habits is trying and difficult. fortunately just like anything habitual, when you finally do it it becomes much easier. unfortunately just like any form of addiction, it also makes relapses much more dangerous and prominent.

I was diagnosed as type 1 at 32 last year in March. Blood sugar was 310 at diagnosis. I immediately hit r/diabetes and found a ton of people on low cab diets to control blood sugar. Went no/very low carbs and within 1 week I was down to 98/120 blood sugars all the time. A1C came back three months after diagnosis 5.1, 9 months later 5.2 12 months later 5.2 all without insulin like the establishment wanted me to be on. I also lost close to 60 pounds.

Granted I am in my honeymoon and my pancreas will eventually stop making any insulin but I have extended it for almost a full year now and doctors are still baffled by my results.

I am convinced that a low calorie / carb diet is the way to go.

StaSeb

I reduced sugar/refined carbs in my diet to almost zero levels, and now it's almost hard keeping the weight on.

Yeah my blood sugar was reaching pre diabetic levels, and now it's in the 80s.

This is great book if you want to look into the biochemistry of the obesity , and the environment that turns it against you in epic proportions.
fructose is literally poison.

51MgtMvBs6L._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

edit:
a few facts.

20% of overweight people....never get metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high bad cholesterol..... which leads to heart disease, diabetes, cancer.)
40% of normal weight people have metabolic syndrome.

Visceral fat is what kills you, not subcutaneous fat (no detriment from big booty)

A calorie is not a calorie.

I approve of this message. Mr. Lustigs two long talks on YouTube gave me enough confidence to try a quite radical sugar-cut. One of the better decisions in my life: lost weight, gained energy and improved my overall health.

I like the way Dr. Lustig breaks it down to biochemistry and how he demonstrates the huge difference between fructose and glucose when it comes to the way those are used up in our body.

Greddleok

That is why stores are still packed full of low fat products (pumped full of sugar so they still are edible).

Is this actually true? The low fat brands of things tend to have equal or less sugar in my experience.

I get low fat greek yoghurt, because it has less fat, fewer carbs, less sugar and more protein. The same with low fat sauces I buy. Less sugar and fewer carbs than the regular brand.

jmdajr

I approve of this message. Mr. Lustigs two long talks on YouTube gave me enough confidence to try a quite radical sugar-cut. One of the better decisions in my life: lost weight, gained energy and improved my overall health.

I like the way Dr. Lustig breaks it down to biochemistry and how he demonstrates the huge difference between fructose and glucose when it comes to the way those are used up in our body.

The was a game changer for me.

jmdajr

Is this actually true? The low fat brands of things tend to have equal or less sugar in my experience.

I get low fat greek yoghurt, because it has less fat, fewer carbs, less sugar and more protein. The same with low fat sauces I buy. Less sugar and fewer carbs than the regular brand.

It depends. Some of the flavored Yogurt have MASSIVE amount of sugar. But hey...zero fat! You absolutely have to look at the label.

It depends. Some of the flavored Yogurt have MASSIVE amount of sugar. But hey...zero fat! You absolutely have to look at the label.
The demonization of fat was the wrong way to go, imo. Certainly monitor the fat intake but healthy fats in proper macro breakdowns are a-ok.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, first in my family so I am making sure my bros and I are keeping tabs on my nephew and everyone else with our blood. Everyone is good, thank fuck!

Greddleok

Oh, I don't buy that shit though. It's a desert pretending to be healthy.If I want a desert I'm going all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom