• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me (The Guardian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
That calorie restriction seems intense and not something I'd be real interested in doing., so I'm glad I'm not in that position. I'm type 2, but have maintained it over the past 9 months with diet and exercise. This we even after eating bad a few times a week during the fall/holidays. Weight loss and a carb-restricted diet has helped a ton, even though in a given day I might still eat upwards of 40g of sugar total (thanks Greek Yogurt).

Acutal sweets aren't that much of a craving after a time, it's more the limit on carbs from starches like potatoes and from bread that get tough. Especially when you walk by the bakery at the grocery store.

jmdajr

Things I modified that had tons of sugar that I thought were healthy.

Yogurt, Oatmeal, Breakfast bars. All pretty much disaster.

I get that oats plain now and add my own fruit.
I buy diabetic brand yogurt or plain.
And breakfast bars..no more.

Food I brought back from the grave.
Butter, Sour cream, Whole Milk.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Things I modified that had tons of sugar that I thought were healthy.

Yogurt, Oatmeal, Breakfast bars. All pretty much disaster.

I get that oats plain now and add my own fruit.
I buy diabetic brand yogurt or plain.
And breakfast bars..no more.

Food I brought back from the grave.
Butter, Sour cream, Whole Milk.

instant flavored oatmeal is insidious.

butter and whole milk you want to buy grass fed if you can. it's more expensive for sure.. but they should be "sometimes" types of ingredients anyways... and the better composed fat from grass fed vs. grain fed is worth it. If you can get raw grass fed milk and butter even better.. but it depends on laws in your state (and to be fair to the laws.. make sure you know and trust who you are buying raw stuff from)

buying oatmeal from the restaurant.. yeah, ask if you can order it unsweetened. I know Panera cooks it plain and provides sweetening after the fact. McDonalds however does not offer it unsweetened. Similarly Panera's yogurt parfaits are realtively subtly sweetened. McDonalds again basically tastes like dressed up dessert.

jmdajr

So I was thinking....maybe Tamales are not as bad as I thought. Depends how you make them.

Yeah tons of carbs, but lots of fiber too. And I was shocked to see that LARD is not as evil as we thought.
Hell the book I have lists it as everyday food. (The Lard, not the tamales)

dc545431_o.png

comparison-of-dietary-fats3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom