• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Navy's Largest Destroyer Ever Heads Out to Sea for First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

NH Apache

Banned
Tumblehome design may make it incredibly susceptible to capsizing, I've read experts say. good luck guys.

Not really if you counter with lowering the VCG of the vessel and increasing length. Main driver for stability is the waterplane area aka hydrostatic stiffness.

Edit: To be fair, a chunk of the money spent in research on the vessel was because of the tumblehome rather than flare design.

Lorcain

What does it transform into? That's the real question. I'm assuming the 3 ships will be able to join together like Voltron. I'm guessing the real aesthetic will become apparent when they Power Trio Connect!

Lorcain

Since Jame Kirk commands the first ship, I would like Bill Adama and Lando Calrissian to captain the other 2 ships. Make it happen Navy.

Piggus

I did an internship at Bath in 2001. They had many of the proposal drawings done and it was blowing everyone's minds at the time.

Rumors are that she'll do 40+ knots and with the bowform, the DDG will cut through bad weather.

Really interested in seeing how the sea trials go.

Some basic specs:

14564 Long tons displacement at DWL

600 ft length on waterline
80.7 ft beam
27.6 ft draft

105,000 shaft horspower

142 complement

Armament:

wxT8vIU.png

Oh, and the kicker: Commanding officer is Captain James Kirk.

Hah, I think this started when they split the old DDG contact with Avondale?

Damn, wish my shaft had the power of that many horses.

Cimarron

Automation reduces crew size on these ships: the Zumwalt-class destroyer's minimum complement is 130, less than half of needed by "similar warships"

sb_and.gif

Am the only one who read this bit and immediately thought of the Andromeda? :)

antonz

How does the Type 45 compare to this?

In default configuration they are pretty similar. The big difference is the Zumwalt has 78MW installed power capability versus the 46MW of the Type 45. Zumwalt is basically designed to be upgraded with the rail guns and lasers as they become ready.

For easy comparison. It basically has 2 of the Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier Gas Turbines installed in it.

Strictly

In default configuration they are pretty similar. The big difference is the Zumwalt has 78MW installed power capability versus the 46MW of the Type 45. Zumwalt is basically designed to be upgraded with the rail guns and lasers as they become ready.

For easy comparison. It basically has 2 of the Queen Elizabeth Class Carrier Gas Turbines installed in it.

That's insane.

Geist-

I wonder if laser defense systems could take out those hyper velocity weapons we're so worried about.

I can't believe people think it's ugly, I think it's beautiful.

Automation reduces crew size on these ships: the Zumwalt-class destroyer's minimum complement is 130, less than half of needed by "similar warships"

sb_and.gif

Am the only one who read this bit and immediately thought of the Andromeda? :)

What is this from?

DrSlek

So this is an enormous destroyer...can you even call it a destroyer anymore? It's larger than cruisers, and is intended to provide fire support like a battleship...so why not call it a Battleship?

They wasted money on making something that huge "stealthy"?
Stealth has nothing to do with size, case in point the B-2 having a far smaller RCS than the F-117.

Besides, as has been pointed out again and again stealth isn't about something invisible, but rather reducing the range in which it can be effectively detected and tracked.

This allows you to get your sensors (and weapons) much closer to where they need to be, allowing you to see further and strike faster or further than what would normally be possible. And while the ship may indeed be large, according to the navy it has the radar cross section of a small fishing boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom