• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. Signals Backing for Self-Driving Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusBus

WASHINGTON — Federal auto safety regulators on Monday made it official: They are betting the nation’s highways will be safer with more cars driven by machines and not people.

In long-awaited guidelines for the booming industry of automated vehicles, the Obama administration promised strong safety oversight, but sent a clear signal to automakers that the door was wide open for driverless cars.

“We envision in the future, you can take your hands off the wheel, and your commute becomes restful or productive instead of frustrating and exhausting,” said Jeffrey Zients, director of the National Economic Council, adding that highly automated vehicles “will save time, money and lives.”

The statements were the most aggressive signal yet by federal regulators that they see automated car technology as a win for auto safety. Yet having officially endorsed the fast-evolving technology, regulators must now balance the commercial interests of companies including Tesla, Google and Uber with concerns over public safety, especially in light of recent crashes involving semiautonomous cars.

The policies unveiled on Monday were designed to walk that line. In a joint appearance, Mr. Zients and Anthony Foxx, secretary of the United States Department of Transportation, released the first guidelines, which outlined safety expectations and encouraged uniform rules for the nascent technology. The instructions signaled to motorists that automated vehicles would not be a wild west where companies can try anything without oversight, but were also vague enough that automakers and technology companies would not fear over-regulation.

Driverless and semiautonomous cars have already hit the open roads, forcing regulators to keep up. Tesla, the electric-car maker, has sold tens of thousands of cars with a self-driving feature known as Autopilot. The company has been grappling with the fallout from the death in May of a Florida driver who had the car’s Autopilot on, as well as a report last week of another crash in China where the technology apparently was turned on.

Despite their multitude of sensors and processors, autonomous cars have a lot of trouble with some everyday aspects of driving.

Tesla plans as soon as this week to download new software to its cars. The company’s chief executive, Elon Musk, has said the new software will include improvements to Autopilot that could have avoided the fatal accident in May.

Uber, the ride-hailing giant, began trials in Pittsburgh last week to let its most loyal customers order rides from driverless cars through their smartphone app. Google has been testing self-driving cars in its hometown Mountain View, Calif., and rivals including Apple are also exploring similar technology.

Last year, there were nearly 40,000 deaths in the United States from auto-related accidents, the deadliest for automotive-related deaths since 2008 and the largest year-over-year percentage increase in 50 years, according to the National Safety Council.

Karl Brauer, senior editor at Kelley Blue Book, an auto research and valuation company, said the new guidelines strike a balance between ensuring safety as automakers develop self-driving cars and making sure the introduction of lifesaving technology is not delayed unnecessarily.

“We are in this weird transition,” Mr. Brauer said. “It’s a tough balance for the regulators. You want to get this technology out, but you don’t want to move too quickly.”

The new guidelines on Monday targeted four main areas. The Department of Transportation announced a 15-point safety guideline for the design and development of autonomous vehicles; called for states to come up with uniform policies applying to driverless cars; clarified how current regulations can be applied to driverless cars; and opened the door for new regulations on the technology.

Currently, driverless cars face a patchwork of state regulations. In the last three years, about a dozen states have passed laws that specifically address testing of driverless vehicles. Most laws require a licensed driver to be in the car.

Mr. Foxx said states would continue to regulate the licensing of drivers and insurance. But Mr. Foxx affirmed the agency’s oversight over the software technology used in driverless cars.

“What we are trying to do is avoid a patchwork of state laws,” Mr. Foxx said.

The federal guidelines were welcomed by auto manufacturers. Ford, which is targeting fully autonomous vehicles by 2021 for ride-sharing, said in a statement that the guidance “will help establish the basis for a national framework that enables the safe deployment of autonomous vehicles. We also look forward to collaborating with states on areas that complement this national framework.”

“State and local governments also have complementary responsibilities and should work with the federal government to achieve and maintain our status as world leaders in innovation,” said David Strickland, general counsel for the trade group, Self-Driving Coalition for Safer Streets.

The government’s endorsement will speed up the rollout of autonomous cars, experts said, potentially within the next five years.

“It helps companies by providing some cover. If a car crashes, courts may look to these guidelines to help us determine what was reasonable and not,” said Bryant Walker Smith, a professor at the University of South Carolina.

Large automakers in particular have made big strides in the technological development of driverless cars but have been wary of introducing those features too quickly without the backing of federal regulators.

“Big companies love certainty and targets that they need to aim for,” said Brad Templeton, a consultant and publisher of Robocars.com.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/20/t...eakingNews&contentID=64336911&pgtype=Homepage

itshappening.gif

bMq8hzZ.png

So fucked

GusBus

I am actually shocked. This is a good thing

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. I remember even just a few years ago people were saying there's no way the tech will be viable before 2025/2030. We're definitely moving at faster pace than anticipated, imo.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
bMq8hzZ.png

So fucked

2015 deaths and injuries due to car accidents:

38,300 people were killed on U.S. roads.

4,400,000 were seriously injured.

--------

If you're so concerned Team Alucard, vote liberals into political positions so a guaranteed minimum income can be implimented for the bottom of society. Otherwise, you are wasting everyone's time with concern trolling.

totowhoa

Banned
You guys have lots of trucks

3.5 million trucking jobs in total, or about 2% of all jobs in the country.

I'm honestly that worried about the economy. Economic gains from this will be huge; though we will have displaced workers to deal with. It'll be slow though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This really wouldn't effect Truck Drivers, not at first at least. Think more local stuff, taxis et al.

I would think it would affect Truck drivers first. Seems like there's a lot more money to be made there than anywhere else.

I just don't know how easy it is to automate trucks versus cars.

totowhoa

Banned
I would think it would affect Truck drivers first. Seems like there's a lot more money to be made there than anywhere else.

Just some idle musings, I'm not sure how valid all this is: Design would definitely have to change for automating trucking to some degree - current trucks aren't easy to maneuver in cities and I'm skeptical of AI being able to handle it.

I'm curious how it would impact supply chain logistics too, particularly if trucks carried less because they had to be smaller. Even if you just use a smaller, more manageable truck that can dock in a standard receiving area, it's not like companies will necessarily be able to immediately start moving the same kind of loads they are to day, but 24/7 instead of 13/7.

I wonder what the cost is going to look like... is it going to be high enough that companies will slowly adopt this over the period of 15 years? Or longer for some industries? Or cheap enough that the industry will look entirely different in just 5 years? I'm betting there will be more of a slow roll out across companies and it won't be that bad, but I could be wrong and I'm really curious to see how this goes.

2015 deaths and injuries due to car accidents:

38,300 people were killed on U.S. roads.

4,400,000 were seriously injured.

--------

If you're so concerned Team Alucard, vote liberals into political positions so a guaranteed minimum income can be implimented for the bottom of society. Otherwise, you are wasting everyone's time with concern trolling.

I don't think you understand how important working is to the psyche. People don't want to just sit around and be handed money for existing. They want to feel like they are contributing to society.

There's a reason why FDR established the WPA during the Depression even though it would have been cheaper to just give everyone money.

Just some idle musings, I'm not sure how valid all this is: Design would definitely have to change for automating trucking to some degree - current trucks aren't easy to maneuver in cities and I'm skeptical of AI being able to handle it.

I'm curious how it would impact supply chain logistics too, particularly if trucks carried less because they had to be smaller. Even if you just use a smaller, more manageable truck that can dock in a standard receiving area, it's not like companies will necessarily be able to immediately start moving the same kind of loads they are to day, but 24/7 instead of 13/7.

I wonder what the cost is going to look like... is it going to be high enough that companies will slowly adopt this over the period of 15 years? Or longer for some industries? Or cheap enough that the industry will look entirely different in just 5 years? I'm betting there will be more of a slow roll out across companies and it won't be that bad, but I could be wrong and I'm really curious to see how this goes.

Bigger companies that use their own fleets like Walmart or Hormell will be able to adapt fairly quickly, depending on the cost of the truck. They could pull off a 5 year turn around without to much trouble. Companies that rely on outsode carriers or run very small fleets of under 10 trucks, however, will be hard pressed to swap over quickly.

Also, gonna be interesting to see how driver unions react to this. That could get ugly.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think you understand how important working is to the psyche. People don't want to just sit around and be handed money for existing. They want to feel like they are contributing to society.
Yet, if you get handed money to cover your basic living, you can contribute in other ways. Volunteer work, art, or study for another profession without having to worry about getting enough money to work. I'd imagine such life would be more stress-free.

(No comment if you lose a job you actually like to automation. I have no idea how i'd react.)

TDLink

Very happy about this.

In regards to the trucking, it isn't like Truck Driving and those jobs relating to it always existed. There was no reason to expect they always would exist. Automation is going to do away with many more jobs, just as it has already done away with many. It's just an inevitability about the future.

That said, I imagine trucks will be the last things to be automated. This is targeting personal vehicles and taxis first and foremost. Even once trucks do become automated, it's pretty likely a body (ie, a trucker) will be required in that seat for a long while, just in case of any emergencies. Not to mention there is no way trucks are going to alternative fuel sources yet and you need someone to stop the vehicle at gas stations and refuel.

now you can start answering emails on the way to work!

Not true. Driverless cars still need drivers behind the wheel just in case.

I'm very excited about this news.

Yep most vehicles especially freight trucks will still need the human element, at least for a long while. a rested driver is a safer driver.

now you can start answering emails on the way to work!

Yep most vehicles especially freight trucks will still need the human element, at least for a long while. a rested driver is a safer driver.
plus you'd probably still want someone in the truck just to watch over the goods being transported, as well as be able to perform any basic maintenance (tire changes, refueling, etc.) that couldn't easily be handled by a self driving car

Honestly, I think the tech is great. Once it's perfected, it'll likely be much safer than having actual humans behind the wheels, especially if it's got good sensors for detecting conditions like icy roads and adjusting to exactly how much traction is lost. Plus I hate driving lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Self driving trucks exist and I think will be rolled out soon right?
They have certainly been getting tested around the world over the last couple years. I think there were tests in Nevada last year. These are definitely coming.

neptunes

This really wouldn't effect Truck Drivers, not at first at least. Think more local stuff, taxis et al.

I would have thought the reverse would be true, It would change the nature of logistics as we know it. Not to mention it would actually save money for Corporations,

Madness

They can take my car from my cold dead hands...

This is a great thing eventually. Remove human stupidity from driving. These days traffic in my city is so bad, I hate driving because I know some asshole is just bound to t-bone me especially at night.

Can't wait until there is pushback because why should safe drivers be punished for bad drivers. Imagine if automated driving is so good and precise you can have your automated car drive at 100 km/h while you just sit comfortably, catch up on reading, have breakfast, even catch some Zzz's.

gdt

They can take my car from my cold dead hands...

This is a great thing eventually. Remove human stupidity from driving. These days traffic in my city is so bad, I hate driving because I know some asshole is just bound to t-bone me especially at night.

Can't wait until there is pushback because why should safe drivers be punished for bad drivers. Imagine if automated driving is so good and precise you can have your automated car drive at 100 km/h while you just sit comfortably, catch up on reading, have breakfast, even catch some Zzz's.

Man, this is gonna be amazing really. When all the cars on the road are networked no accidents should happen. Besides a tree falling or something alone those lines.

Or mechanical car failures I guess

Long-distance highway trucking will be the first affected, though they will need human drivers to take over inside city limits and to make tight maneuvers.

There's a reason why FDR established the WPA during the Depression even though it would have been cheaper to just give everyone money.
Hmm. It almost sounds like you are praising the WPA. I am absolutely fine with having the government "free money" being attached to things like that.

Skyzard

Banned
It will be good especially for old people/others who can't drive if it's cheaper than a taxi for using it a few years quite regularly. Give them more independence maybe.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

It wouldn't really. There would need to be a ton of infrastructure in place before it could.

You have to think of the distances these drivers are going, those trucks are going to need refills, checkups, possible repairs. Then you have to consider the cargo it has to be picked up, secured and delivered.

Like I said Taxis et al would be the first to be hit.

Man, this is gonna be amazing really. When all the cars on the road are networked no accidents should happen. Besides a tree falling or something alone those lines.

Or mechanical car failures I guess

Or you know, someone hacking the system.

kmfdmpig

Think of all the time saved for the next generation. They can (likely) sleep, do work, or do something for fun on their commutes. Taking a short five hour drive to a destination could mean taking a nap or watching a few movies and then arriving.

I wonder if eventually once this technology improves and becomes fairly affordable if it has an effect on short flights. Why fly from Phoenix to LA when I could just let my car drive me for 5-6 hours (maybe less if the technology matures enough that faster speed limits are introduced)?

GusBus

I wonder if eventually once this technology improves and becomes fairly affordable if it has an effect on short flights. Why fly from Phoenix to LA when I could just let my car drive me for 5-6 hours (maybe less if the technology matures enough that faster speed limits are introduced)?

Bingo. I think this is a reality airlines will eventually contend with. Especially if we can raise speed limits - Phoenix to LA would (hypothetically) be less than 3 hours at 150 mph. Same with LA to SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom