• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. soldier blog - interviews an Iraqi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Haha. Very convenient interview. Too bad this viewpoint (if its even authentic) isn't shared by most iraqis.

He did manage to get all the catchphrases in there, which is very nice.

Prospero

He's back! Excellent. I'd been checking that site every couple of hours since August 10.

These entries have some pretty good writing, too: the part about watching the lights go on and off in Mosul was really nice. And the interview with the Iraqi was cool as well. This guy is a hero.

Prospero

border said:
You guys still believe this stuff is real?

As I said in the other thread, it checks out with me:

Sure, the blog's anonymous, but the August 10 article I linked above corroborates what the blogger said on August 5, using interviews with his brigade's deputy commander, the father of a wounded soldier who's mentioned in the blog by name, and an additional news release out of Fort Lewis. I'm as quick to be skeptical as anybody, but the blogger would have to have magical powers to have written that blog entry five days ago (an entry that points out errors in a CNN article published on August 5), and have it check out 100% against an article published today. Unless you think he's John Titor, he's got to be the real thing.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The situation was very bad. Most of the people they were stealing, killing each other and the people were living in chaos. But the American Forces came here and they established everything, they gave the Iraqi people the right to vote, to choose their president, to choose their mayor, they help the Iraqi to build their country. But before the war the situation was very bad. Most other people tried to kill each other, they tried to steal, they tried to fight. But after the war, when American forces came here, they established everything, they help the Iraqi's, they helped by giving Iraq money to build their country. They fixed the water pipeline, they fix the power and electricity, they help the students, and they fix many schools. They paint many schools here in Iraq. So, they do a very good job.

LOL

What bullshit. They established everything? They fixed power and electricity?
Now I know this fake.

Sorry, conflicts with every single article I read from independant reporters inside the country, as well as a personal contact I have there. Whether you believe it or not, Iraq wasn't in 'chaos' before the attack, and whether you want to believe it or not, it is in 'chaos' now.

Makura

"Everything" is certainly an inaccurate description, but overall I think he's correct in what he is saying.

Prospero

Slurpy said:
LOL

What bullshit. They established everything? They fixed power and electricity?
Now I know this fake.

Sorry, conflicts with every single article I read from independant reporters inside the country, as well as a personal contact I have there. Whether you believe it or not, Iraq wasn't in 'chaos' before the attack, and whether you want to believe it or not, it is in 'chaos' now.

Whether or not what the Iraqi said is true, I believe that he said what the blogger represents him as saying. Those are two different things. If an Iraqi is being interviewed by an American soldier, sure, he's going to spout the party line.

I don't doubt the veracity of the blogger's firsthand accounts, though.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Makura said:
The word "everything" is wrong, but overall he's correct in what he is saying.

QUESTION: What do you think of George W Bush?
ANSWER: I think he's a good man.

SHOCKER!

And no, overall he isn't correct. One cannot say the living situations in Iraq are even equal, let alone better than before. I'll trust dozens of first hand reports of what is actually happening and this 'blogger'.

Makura

Slurpy said:
LOL Iraq wasn't in 'chaos' before the attack

He wasn't talking about before the attack. That response was in reply to this question:

QUESTION: What was it like here in Iraq, when we first came over and started kicking some serious a** in the beginning of the war?

Firest0rm

Slurpy said:
QUESTION: What do you think of George W Bush?
ANSWER: I think he's a good man.

SHOCKER!

And no, overall he isn't correct. One cannot say the living situations in Iraq are even equal, let alone better than before. I'll trust dozens of first hand reports of what is actually happening and this 'blogger'.

Some regions are in a better state, while others aren't. But anything is better than how life was under Saddam EXCEPT for his supporters. You might have contacts in Iraq, but I have some too, from relatives to family friends. In addition my father has visited Iraq 2 times already and plans to go again. In the beginning things really were chaotic but they are improving and my father noticed a major improvement in his second visit from his first in terms of the daily lives of people there and the security situation. Keep in mind that what you hear and see in the news is only regarding the bad news. Never have we heard good news, NEVER. Which is a really big backdraw for Iraq because everyone outside thinks the place is in complete chaos, but is completely unaware of the progress that is being made.

Ripclawe

Banned

Actually Northern Iraq with the Kurds is coming along fine and is better than before with the money coming in, southern Iraq was booming till sadr started his rag tag band of idiots, Najaf was booming with tourists and rebuilding.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
LuckyBrand said:
dont worry guys, slurpy is a joke character... obviously.. he is a joke.

The irony.

Again, I'll trust my independant media outlets rather than the opinion of someone being audiotaped by a US soldier. (giving authenticity benefit of the doubt). The ones that report that there are only a few hrs of electricity per day in most of baghdad, that the streets are often deserted out of fear, that traffic and getting around is horrendous because of hundreds of roadblocks, and oil pipeline explosions are routine. I guess those of you who can read that interview with a straight face are lucky. Cause I sure couldn't.

I just don't enjoy living in a fantasy. Some of you do- and that's fine. As long as you aknowledge that.

Firest0rm

Slurpy said:
The irony.

Again, I'll trust my independant media outlets rather than the opinion of someone being audiotaped by a US soldier. (giving authenticity benefit of the doubt). I guess those of you who can read that interview with a straight face are lucky. Cause I sure couldn't.

You think we can read your posts with a straight face? ;)

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Slurpy said:
I just don't enjoy living in a fantasy. Some of you do- and that's fine. As long as you aknowledge that.

You're one of those world pessimists aren't you? Why can't you take Firest0rm's word? Seems like his Father would have as valid information as anyone.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm just going to give a run down of things my uncle has told me since being in Iraq since September.

He has chatted with many generals that he was "guarding" at a base in Qatar, and they say that it will take at least more than a decade to completely rebuild Iraq.

But as of now, my uncle has been hired to be a mercenary in Baghdad. Scared my family shitless when he told us that, but when he gets out, he will be have quite few extra bucks in his pocket.

Says that the people of Iraq are very family oriented, and that most of the families and businessmen he's talked to in the city during his off-duty time are quite nice, and feel safe with America around. Other families also say that they feel safe, but they want them out as soon as possible as it feels quite akward to them.

Says that the schools are much more efficient now than they ever were. He said they needed more qualafied teachers, though.

Searches the roads almost everyday for mines and bombs that could have been set. He says every so often they finding something potentially dangerous.

ghostface

Firest0rm said:
Which is a really big backdraw for Iraq because everyone outside thinks the place is in complete chaos, but is completely unaware of the progress that is being made.
Am I the only one noticing the irony in this statement?

Without for a second defending Hussein, life in Iraq was NOT chaotic before the invasion, or at least less than it is now. Some of you have the impression that if you didn't walk around with a "I heart Saddam" t-shirt, you would get shot on the spot. Please, things were fucked at that time (trust me, I've witnessed the atrocities of Hussein first-hand), but now you have bombs going off on the streets of Baghdad and elswhere almost on a daily basis. Kids used to be able to actually go play outside without having their parents worrying about them getting blown up. Wtf.

And I agree with the uncle of the guy who said it will take a decade for things to become "normal", if not much, much longer.

Edit: And this "blog" guy has about as much credibility and objectivity as any conservative on GAF.

Firest0rm

ghostface said:
Am I the only one noticing the irony in this statement?

Without for a second defending Hussein, life in Iraq was NOT chaotic before the invasion, or at least less than it is now. Some of you have the impression that if you didn't walk around with a "I heart Saddam" t-shirt, you would get shot on the spot. Please, things were fucked at that time (trust me, I've witnessed the atrocities of Hussein first-hand), but now you have bombs going off on the streets of Baghdad and elswhere almost on a daily basis. Kids used to be able to actually go play outside without having their parents worrying about them getting blown up. Wtf.

And I agree with the uncle of the guy who said it will take a decade for things to become "normal", if not much, much longer.

Edit: And this "blog" guy has about as much credibility and objectivity as any conservative on GAF.

What the hell are you saying. Where did I say that life before the war was chaotic!? It wasn't chaotic but it was a living nightmare for Iraqi's. Any day you can be taken in and prisoned, tortured or killed for the stupidest reasons. Anything you say against Saddam equals the worst penalty. The difference now is that the danger is more public. But back then you would be taken away and no one would know except your family. Sometimes they wouldn't know what's happened to you for quite a while, until they get a letter regarding his fate.

You do notice that these bombings are occuring in the same few cities. Do you know how many cities and towns there are in Iraq? There are alot of other cities where life isn't taking the huge hit of these bombings. Its sad that these kind of horrible events are occuring, but their being blown out of proportions. WAY OUT of porportions, and thats because its all the news covers.

ghostface

Firest0rm said:
The difference now is that the danger is more public.
What a reassuring thing to say.
Firest0rm said:
You do notice that these terrorist attacks are occuring in the same few cities. Do you know how many cities and towns there are in America? There are alot of other cities aside from NYC and Washington where life isn't taking the huge hit of these bombings. Its sad that these kind of horrible events like 9/11 are occuring, but their being blown out of proportions. WAY OUT of porportions, and thats because its all the news covers. THERE ARE NO TERRORISTS AMERICA HAS NOTHING TO FEAR.
Does your statement still make sense?

Firest0rm

ghostface said:
What a reassuring thing to say. Does your statement still make sense?

Twisting a persons words is a weak thing to try ghostface. The US is a completely different Scenario. Im comparing Iraq now to Iraq then. The US is no way the same as Iraq. Thats a really terrible attempt. Iraqi's lived in fear before in EVERY corner of the country. Now its in certain areas only.

Prospero

Slurpy said:
Again, I'll trust my independant media outlets rather than the opinion of someone being audiotaped by a US soldier. (giving authenticity benefit of the doubt). The ones that report that there are only a few hrs of electricity per day in most of baghdad[...].

The blogger himself says that electricity in his area is dodgy, in his most recent entry.

Every now and then a neighborhoods electricity would go out, and several complete city blocks would be in complete darkness for awhile, and then a couple minutes later the power would go back up, and the lights in that neighborhood would turn back on. This is very common thing here. Lights on, lights off.

In fact, the things he describes in that subsequent entry pretty much show that the Iraqi was exaggerating what he said about the state of the country, if not flat-out lying.

ghostface said:
And this "blog" guy has about as much credibility and objectivity as any conservative on GAF.

What makes you think this guy is a conservative? In his profile he says that two of his favorite books are "Steal This Book" and "The Anarchist Cookbook." His reading list is more or less a catalog of lefty Vietnam-era anti-war Beat writers. He has a link off his front page to High Times magazine. There are liberals in this war, too: what kind of conservative makes a habit of reading Abbie Hoffmann?

I think that some of you are mistakenly assuming that the blogger is writing from a certain political ideology instead of reporting things objectively, and that because he's in the military and uses standard military phrases like "Get Some," he must automatically be some sort of bloodthirsty neo-con. But he's just calling things as he sees them. If he has any political intent at all, which I don't think he does, it's to provoke discussion about what's going on over there, not to convince readers that the war is either just or unjust. The pervasive propaganda disseminated by both the left and right in this country has made it hard to see information like this objectively, though.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Slurpy said:
Haha. Very convenient interview. Too bad this viewpoint (if its even authentic) isn't shared by most iraqis.

He did manage to get all the catchphrases in there, which is very nice.

Are you from that area or something Slurpy? If yes then you would actually be the first person from that region that I've spoken to *you obviously no face to face* that is not happy that the US went into that region. I happen to live in michigan , which is the largest concentration of arabs and iraqis in this country. I seem to recall a front page article in the Det News that had iraqi's in Dearborn waving american and iraqi flags damn near dancing in the streets over Saddams removal. The overall concensus seemed to be quite the opposite of what your quoted saying.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Obviously there are different opinions held by different people. Pointing out an interview with an Iraqi or a quote from a soldier or an ongoing blog by someone in-country is pretty pointless. You could spend all day digging up stuff like that and it still won't add up to shit.

In the large scheme, the CPA's own survey showed that a majority of Iraqis wanted the US to get out. There are obviously many Iraqis who want the US to stay, and public opinion may have shifted in the US' favor since that poll, though it seems unlikely.

My own internet Iraq source tells me that an Iraqi translator was exposed to hot, steamy, woman-on-goat stileproject content. Does anyone want to extrapolate that into a national trend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom