• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U2 LP13 |OT| 'Songs of Innocence' - FREE on iTunes now, official release October 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

Man California is such a great song. Love the first line: "California, then we shared into the shiny sea" It doesn't make a lick of grammatical sense but Bono makes it work. They really need to release it as a single.

daripad

Man California is such a great song. Love the first line: "California, then we shared into the shiny sea" It doesn't make a lick of grammatical sense but Bono makes it work. They really need to release it as a single.

They should have cut that intro. I have to listen to that horrible thing before the song really starts being great.

RoKKeR

From Rolling Stone: 33 million people have listened to the record since release.

UPDATE: Apple has released a statement to Rolling Stone sharing the number of people who have listened to Songs of Innocence in the first week. "We wanted to thank our customers and share our love of music by gifting them Songs of Innocence," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "Just six days after its release on iTunes, a record-breaking 33 million people have already listened to the album."

RoKKeR

Hate to bump the thread, but for those interested this is a pretty interesting development about the physical release.

The rumored cover of Songs of Innocence:

602547048943_p0_v1_s600.JPG

And maybe a look at the full booklet:

995638_10152757209867069_5027344230168184243_n.jpg

Again, who knows if these are real but I'm interested to see the reaction... that cover picture has gotten quite the response within the U2 fan community. (good and bad both)

For those who don't know that's Larry Mullen Jr. and his son.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Never really listened to U2 before in my life, but I like this album. I've already listened to it a few times. Cool freebie, for sure!

RoKKeR

To the above poster, very cool! Love that this album has brought new people to U2. Start digging through their back catalogue if you wan't more. Start with Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby... two essentials!

Anyways, U2 has confirmed the cover art for the physical release in October.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/cover-story
large.jpg

The band have completed the artwork for next month's physical release of Songs of Innocence.

The visuals reflect the new songs and their inspiration in the early years of U2 as teenagers in Dublin.

Glen Luchford's striking cover image of Larry Mullen Jr, protecting his 18year old son, resonates with the band's iconic 1979 debut album Boy - and the album War, four years later.

Both featured the face of a child, Peter Rowen, the younger brother of Guggi, Bono's childhood friend growing up on Cedarwood Road.

'We've always been about community in U2, about family and friends,' explains Bono. 'Songs Of Innocence is the most intimate album we've ever made. With this record we were looking for the raw, naked and personal, to strip everything back.'

The idea of the unique relationship between a parent and child, the image of a father and son, came from the band. The shoot with Larry and his son was initially an experiment but everyone loved it as a visual metaphor for the record.

If you know the album, reflects Bono, you'll see the themes in the visual language, how 'holding on to your own innocence is a lot harder than holding on to someone else's.'

I like it. It's bold, different, and is their most interesting/original artwork since Achtung Baby. I'm glad they aren't playing it safe with another boring picture of them all sitting or standing around in an airport or something.

RoKKeR

Here is the full Deluxe version track listing according to Amazon US:

1 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
2 Every Breaking Wave
3 California (There Is No End To Love)
4 Song For Someone
5 Iris (Hold Me Close)
6 Volcano
7 Raised By Wolves
8 Cedarwood Road
9 Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11 The Troubles [feat. Lykke Li]
12 Lucifer's Hands
13 The Crystal Ballroom
14 Every Breaking Wave (From Acoustic Sessions)
15 California (There Is No End To Love) (From Acoustic Sessions)
16 Raised By Wolves (From Acoustic Sessions)
17 Cedarwood Road (From Acoustic Sessions)
18 Song For Someone (From Acoustic Sessions)
19 The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version)
20 The Troubles (Alternative Version)
21 Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix By Tchad Blake)

So we are getting 21 tracks in the deluxe set, two brand new songs, three remix/alternate versions, and five acoustic versions. (pretty rare for U2)

Damn, sign me up! Only thing I see missing is Invisible, which Bono said was going to be on the deluxe version in one form or another. Maybe it's not final but I'm sure we'll see confirmation of the final track listing soon enough.

Damn, sign me up! Only thing I see missing is Invisible, which Bono said was going to be on the deluxe version in one form or another. Maybe it's not final but I'm sure we'll see confirmation of the final track listing soon enough.
Probably going to be saving it for Experience. I hope Mercy shows up on it too, and please make it the leaked version not the newer rewritten one.

Hawk269

Was his son on the cover of Boy and/or War also?

I don't get it.

No. His son is about 18 years old, Boy came out in 1980, War was in 1983.

The image of Larry holding his son is in reference to innocence and holding onto that innocence that most see in their children is one take that many feel that is why they chose that for the cover. Based on the songs and the lyrics the cover seems very appropriate, but like when Boy came out, many will think it means something completely different.

Hawk269

Here is the full Deluxe version track listing according to Amazon US:

So we are getting 21 tracks in the deluxe set, two brand new songs, three remix/alternate versions, and five acoustic versions. (pretty rare for U2)

Rumors are that Invisible is a hidden track on the second CD that contains all the extras. Again, just a rumor!

This is very rare for U2. But this is the NEW U2. Shock the world with a new album, said album is given away for free to ITunes Customers, album is getting pretty good reviews from most reviewers, fans seems to love it, new U2 listeners seems to like it. Then 5 weeks later release the physical with a ton of extra's. This is something U2 has never done, usually an album drops and that is for extra's unless you buy the singles which have some new songs as B-Sides, but this would normally be spread out as singles are released.

Hawk269

A friend that works at a small store sold me a copy of the Deluxe Edition of Songs of Innocence. In short, it is fantastic! I know many have heard the Free ITunes that provided the official 11 song album, but the physical Deluxe Edition comes with a second CD that contains 2 new Songs, Lucifers Hand & The Crystal Ballroom.

Here is the complete track listing for the second CD:

Lucifer's Hand
The Crystal Ball Room
Every Break Wave (Acoustic version)
California (Acoustic version)
Cedar Wood Road (Acoustic version)
Raised by Wolves (Acoustic Version)
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternate Version) ****
Song for Someone (Acoustic Version)
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version)
The Troubles (Alternate Version)

**** After Sleep Like a Baby Tonight Ends, they hidden the song Invisible which is slightly different than the one they released earlier in the year.

Every Breaking Wave & Song for Someone are just amazing as acoustic versions. The two new songs are very good and very different. Crystal Ballroom grabs me a bit more than Lucifer's Hand, but I am only on listen 2 of the two new songs.

Kandinsky

A friend that works at a small store sold me a copy of the Deluxe Edition of Songs of Innocence. In short, it is fantastic! I know many have heard the Free ITunes that provided the official 11 song album, but the physical Deluxe Edition comes with a second CD that contains 2 new Songs, Lucifers Hand & The Crystal Ballroom.

Here is the complete track listing for the second CD:

Lucifer's Hand
The Crystal Ball Room
Every Break Wave (Acoustic version)
California (Acoustic version)
Cedar Wood Road (Acoustic version)
Raised by Wolves (Acoustic Version)
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternate Version) ****
Song for Someone (Acoustic Version)
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) (Busker Version)
The Troubles (Alternate Version)

**** After Sleep Like a Baby Tonight Ends, they hidden the song Invisible which is slightly different than the one they released earlier in the year.

Every Breaking Wave & Song for Someone are just amazing as acoustic versions. The two new songs are very good and very different. Crystal Ballroom grabs me a bit more than Lucifer's Hand, but I am only on listen 2 of the two new songs.
Oh god I can't wait!, this album is amazing as it is. Still listening it on a daily basis at least once, hngggg

RoKKeR

Album is officially out today! Got my physical CD version today (albeit slightly bent...grr)

qGfb.jpg

Sounds great, listening from start to finish now and I am realizing how many of these songs are incredibly good. I think, unlike many songs from NLoTH or Bomb, a lot of stuff on this record will become staples for the band going forward. We'll see how they transfer live going forward.

Deluxe CD also is great as well! Includes B-sides Lucifer's Hands and Crystal Ballroom, the latter of which is fucking amazing and should have been on the album proper. All in all I'm very happy with all that they've included here, lots of fan service. (which is long overdue!)

The band also took to Facebook to answer some fan questions. Actually a pretty entertaining segment. - Video here.

The band is currently doing a promo tour in Europe, but so far it's only been Edge and Bono playing acoustic Miracle and Every Breaking Wave... hopefully the full band starts doing promos soon.

Hawk269

Yes, Crystal Ballroom is a Danger Mouse track. Very modern, groovy, funky... it's a neat track, what DM-produced U2 should sound like.

I like both of the new Songs, but I have to agree with RoKKer that Crystal Ballroom is really good and should of been on the album. I also think that the hidden Invisible track would fit on the album as well.

It was good going to get a new U2 CD at the Store! Of course, I had to ask for it since Best Buy did not put it out at opening.

Clegg

U2 were on the Jools Holland show promoting the new album. Played a very good version of Every Breaking Wave. Basically Bono accompanied by Edge on the piano until about halfway through the song when a string section kicks in. Very enjoyable an included a very strong vocal performance from Bono. Didn't know he still had that in him.

RoKKeR

U2 were on the Jools Holland show promoting the new album. Played a very good version of Every Breaking Wave. Basically Bono accompanied by Edge on the piano until about halfway through the song when a string section kicks in. Very enjoyable an included a very strong vocal performance from Bono. Didn't know he still had that in him.

Yeah, that version they've been using on the promo tour for Every Breaking Wave is incredible. I feel that is the song that will be labeled as the "classic" for this album, sort of like Moment of Surrender for No Line on the Horizon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's on the delux version of the album, the best of the acoustic tracks is probably Song for Someone. It just works better that way, that version should have been on the proper album.

It's on the delux version of the album, the best of the acoustic tracks is probably Song for Someone. It just works better that way, that version should have been on the proper album.
I like all of the acoustic tracks. I think I like the acoustic version of California better than the one on the main disc.

RoKKeR

Welp, Bono broke his arm riding a bike in Central Park today. lol

Band cancelled their Fallon residency as a result. Real bummer, was looking forward to seeing them on every night. Next time we see them is probably at the KROK Acoustic Christmas thing in December.

RoKKeR

First that jet scare and now this. Somebody has it out for the man.

Definitely not his week. I was expecting a tour announcement right around/during the Fallon residency... maybe we'll still get it.

Oh and I think this is easily their best album since Pop. I revisited it in full over the weekend and damn, everything sounds even better than I remembered. Iris... fuck me, such an amazing song.

Add Crystal Ballroom into the mix and you have their best collection of songs since Aching Baby. Damn I'm excited for the tour.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Welp, Bono broke his arm riding a bike in Central Park today. lol

Band cancelled their Fallon residency as a result. Real bummer, was looking forward to seeing them on every night. Next time we see them is probably at the KROK Acoustic Christmas thing in December.

What's he riding around in Central Park for, the weather's been shit all day!

Psykoboy2

Yeah. I work at a radio station morning show and our prep service gave us a bit of the Rolling Stone piece about the "cycling spill".

He fractured his eye or something when he hit, broke his shoulder blade and arm in like 8 different places. Apparently bone protruded through the skin!

He's getting metal plates and a whole bunch of screws put in to get himself fixed up. Doctors have said it will be weeks and weeks (maybe months) of physical therapy to get him back to 100%.

U2NUMB

Yeah. I work at a radio station morning show and our prep service gave us a bit of the Rolling Stone piece about the "cycling spill".

He fractured his eye or something when he hit, broke his shoulder blade and arm in like 8 different places. Apparently bone protruded through the skin!

He's getting metal plates and a whole bunch of screws put in to get himself fixed up. Doctors have said it will be weeks and weeks (maybe months) of physical therapy to get him back to 100%.

Well.. delay the tour then? Clumsy Bono.. always falling down. Hope the old man can recover :)

RoKKeR

U2-1 is performing tonight in New York for the (RED) World Aid's Day celebration thingy. Adam, Larry and Edge are taking the stage with Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin for the show... which I am very interested to see!

Too bad Bono fucked himself up on the bike at the worst possible time but I'm glad the band is still performing.

They announced their tour with tickets to go on sale this monday. They're calling it the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE tour. Hopefully that means we'll be getting Songs of Experience sometime before the tour begins?

RoKKeR

They announced their tour with tickets to go on sale this monday. They're calling it the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE tour. Hopefully that means we'll be getting Songs of Experience sometime before the tour begins?

So hyped!! Trying to figure out with my dad now which shows to go to. Really would love to go to multiple nights as they are planning different stuff for different nights.

And I would imagine the name does signal Songs of Experience will be out RELATIVELY soon... at least within the next year right? Or else they wouldn't call it the Innocence + Experience tour haha.

We'll see but U2.com presale is tomorrow, gotta do some planning!

Psykoboy2

NOTHING coming near me!

At least not for this leg. I can't imagine they won't add more dates or extend into 2016 with a second NA leg.

Sulla1980

So hyped!! Trying to figure out with my dad now which shows to go to. Really would love to go to multiple nights as they are planning different stuff for different nights.

And I would imagine the name does signal Songs of Experience will be out RELATIVELY soon... at least within the next year right? Or else they wouldn't call it the Innocence + Experience tour haha.

We'll see but U2.com presale is tomorrow, gotta do some planning!

Aarrgh, this is problem! Which night to go?!?

Anyway, I am definitely in for a Toronto show. I just hope that more info about the shows comes out before the early sales begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom