• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft is now using bots to promote AC: shadowss.

Eimran

I'm all for dunking on Ubisoft but everybody who sells stuff online does this. What is the actual issue here that you see?
Would you buy a car if other people who are convincing you to buy it, didn't actually buy the car but are hired by the dealer to make you believe it's a great car.

You're basically saying it's a shitty practice but let them do it because everybody does it. Do you not see the issue there?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'll actually change my name if you change your name to Straw Man which is very apt after what I just read.
You asked what was the issue, so I listed a few (and fair) points that's it. Now you may disagree, it's fair but all I listed is easily verifiable online .

99% of everything you see on the Internet is the same thing as this here.
That's not true, maybe it is for big AAA from Ubi, EA, Activision etc etc... but thank God they are not the only things available to play.

I also find it very cute that you think Ubisoft if given the chance will take feedback accurate or innacurate thst will then use money to fix their game.
I said they SHOULD use that money to fix the game before release, not that they would.

For years now most of the top comments you've seen for all the games you've ended up buying have been 100% bots that's how this works especially on twitter and YouTube.
Ok, show me those top comments made by bots for Rogue Trader, Trepang², AoM Retold, Disco Elysium, Space Marine II etc etc...

Or even better, that's my Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Kyoshiro/

Pick one game in my "Featured Games" and show me bots in comment. And I'm not talking about that one bot with a girl avatar baiting other for phishing. I'm talking about hundred of comments like in this AC Shadows trailer, which is what you said was happening.

When you produce good games, you don't need bots to promote them.

The next time you see one click into it and its very apparent.
Also I have to apply humour here or else ill be banned again haha
I've just checked on some games I mentioned and you are wrong 🤷‍♂️

Cakeboxer

It's fraud. I know that in commercials people are hired to act like they love the product. But there we at least know they are paid actors.
Clickbaits are also fraud and yet it's the most normal thing in media. I don't like it, but this will be the future of advertising and at some point people won't even regognize if it's a bot or not.

TommyCronin6969

Gold Member
You asked what was the issue, so I listed a few (and fair) points that's it. Now you may disagree, it's fair but all I listed is easily verifiable online .

That's not true, maybe it is for big AAA from Ubi, EA, Activision etc etc... but thank God they are not the only things available to play.

I said they SHOULD use that money to fix the game before release, not that they would.

Ok, show me those top comments made by bots for Rogue Trader, Trepang², AoM Retold, Disco Elysium, Space Marine II etc etc...

Or even better, that's my Steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Kyoshiro/

Pick one game in my "Featured Games" and show me bots in comment. And I'm not talking about that one bot with a girl avatar baiting other for phishing. I'm talking about hundred of comments like in this AC Shadows trailer, which is what you said was happening.

When you produce good games, you don't need bots to promote them.

I've just checked on some games I mentioned and you are wrong 🤷‍♂️
You have come back with so much receipts I need to reevaluate my argument appropriately haha

BlackTron

This is going to get ugly. I don't sense that a logical, fact-based discourse was ever desired here. There is however desire to stan for Ubisoft lol.

Most probably know I tend to give Nintendo a break but if they were spamming bots I'd simply call it the sad and pathetic behavior it is.

If I tried to pass that off as fine or even expected because companies like MS or Ubi do it I'd have to be either on drugs or not taking enough.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Asmongold

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
I clicked on something of his the other day that was linked here and he wasn't any good at the game he was playing. Although most streamers talk over/read chat during cutscenes and immediately walk the wrong way afterwards.

GymWolf

Asmongold

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
What about now

XHHEvxm.png

Pejo

Man I hope when Ubi eventually goes bankrupt that Nintendo buys the Rayman IP and puts out a few more 2D platformers. That IP doesn't deserve being stuck under such a shit company as Ubisoft.

This botting thing has been happening for a while with Ubi stuff. I think that guy that identifies Twitter/X bots posted a few about Shadows a month ago or something. Maybe it was Star Wars, can't remember exactly.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Damn, i can't even spot bots anymore. If I hadn't seen the video, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Man, I want what Ubisoft employees are smoking, must be some potent stuff if the bot replies are that creative!!! The lengths some companies would try to reach in defence for their games is bloody admirable!!!

Rudius

In times like this, it feels more and more comfy firing up my Mega Drive or PC Engine when I want to play games.

No bots, no GaaS, no body type A/B, no always online. Just fun games.
You can go from Atari up all the way to PS360 for that. I prefer to do it emulated on PC for a better quality.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Dont really see any issue. The bots need something to play too 🤷‍♂️
I'm curious, are companies able to boost their monthly average users estimates with bots? Granted its shady, but what isn't. Even our own governments boost their numbers with false reports and edit them later with revisions, such as in the US with the non-farm Payroll job estimates. Its almost always revised down a month to half-year reports later, meanwhile they fudge the numbers to try and keep investors happy because when the numbers are bad suggesting a flailing economy the market contracts.

So what would stop a company from trying to game the system? Granted, if they were caught in the act the scandals might implode on them, but then again like with why political parties don't bring up certain points against their opposition, it'd be like using an area of effect weapon that would cause collateral on both/all sides. Which in turn causes the unmentionable problems to escalate. Granted this is more of an aside on the topic of GAAS and subscription numbers, but I could see some companies boosting their own numbers by just enough to keep their MAU's in the black or green if necessary.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
In times like this, it feels more and more comfy firing up my Mega Drive or PC Engine when I want to play games.

No bots, no GaaS, no body type A/B, no always online. Just fun games.
You're so god damn right. Quick on and off sessions playing the good old games. Much less stressful and more healthy too imo.

yazenov

I thought we don’t do attractive women in Western gaming anymore? Profiles should have had Star Wars Outlaws in-game character model.

EHx4hpa.jpg

They tried that with the last game and it didn't go too well apparently. At least they changed their tactics and learn a lesson. Fucked around and found out.

Guilty_AI

I'm curious, are companies able to boost their monthly average users estimates with bots? Granted its shady, but what isn't. Even our own governments boost their numbers with false reports and edit them later with revisions, such as in the US with the non-farm Payroll job estimates. Its almost always revised down a month to half-year reports later, meanwhile they fudge the numbers to try and keep investors happy because when the numbers are bad suggesting a flailing economy the market contracts.

So what would stop a company from trying to game the system? Granted, if they were caught in the act the scandals might implode on them, but then again like with why political parties don't bring up certain points against their opposition, it'd be like using an area of effect weapon that would cause collateral on both/all sides. Which in turn causes the unmentionable problems to escalate. Granted this is more of an aside on the topic of GAAS and subscription numbers, but I could see some companies boosting their own numbers by just enough to keep their MAU's in the black or green if necessary.
The problem with doing this is that there are multiple parties involved that would not be very happy with this kind of deceit, such as platform holders and investors. In fact, i think this is ground for lawsuit even since you're basically falsifying reports.

The bot approach with social media is mostly to boost attention towards certain topics due to how these sites trending algorithms work. You can't really effectively steer people's opinions on a certain subject with them, but you can get the netizens talking about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom