• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft recommends a 3060 Ti at 720p to play Star Wars Outlaws

DryvBy

The recommended specs, which cover running the game at 1080, 60 FPS, with the 'High' graphics preset, require at least an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT GPU. But even then, DLSS or FSR needs to be set to 'Quality,' which means rendering the game at 720p before the upscaler does its thing.

Increase the resolution to 1440p, and you'll need a GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 4070, or Radeon RX 6800 XT to hit 60 FPS using the same 'High' graphics preset. This also includes running DLSS or FSR using the 'Quality' setting - rendering at 1080p.

Increase the resolution to 4K, and you'll need a GeForce RTX 4080 or Radeon RX 7900 XTX, two flagship current-gen cards used by only a very small percentage of the PC gaming community, to play Star Wars Outlaws at its most visually impressive.

Based on the system requirements, it looks like the game is set to be a performance benchmark for quite a while. DLSS or FSR being a requirement to hit a performance target is not uncommon, and based on what we're seeing here, it will become increasingly prevalent in the years to come.

Sounds like a well optimized PC port!

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Title's a bit misleading, it's not 720p it's 720p upscaled.
Yeah but they run with the "it's running at 720p" on consoles with games using this rendering method so just ignore it.
Although this is PC, I'm sure you can try your luck at native resolutions.

Last edited:

Moses85

So it wont run on current gen consoles and only on the upcoming PS5 Pro?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Fbh

Gold Member
So it's probably going to be another console game running at upscaled 720p with ugly IQ full of artifacting.

And people still argue there's no use for a PS5 pro

Bojji

It's 1080p with DLSS Quality, 720p internal but doesn't look like it. Also 60 fps.

Consoles are weaker than 3060ti so looks like we will get Skull and Bones level of image quality...

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The thread is a bit disingenuous. It has an internal resolution of 720p with upscaling to 1080p, which honestly is way too low for my taste, but the preset is high, and this game features: ray-traced shadows, ray-traced global illuminations, and ray-traced reflections.

If you forego ray tracing, you can very likely do 1080p/60 fps+/high settings which sounds somewhat acceptable. It's like Jedi Survivor that drops to an internal res of like 600p on consoles, but toggle off ray tracing, and the floor is like 1080p or something. I forgot the exact numbers.

Edit: Also, I think Ubisoft games generally run pretty well on PC, no? Frontiers of Pandora for how great it looks isn't too punishing on the hardware. You also don't usually get trash like shader compilation stutters or terrible frame times.

Last edited:

Crayon

This seems to line up with what it will do on PS5, right? As in, the PS5 would look a little worse than a 6700xt? I doubt PS5 will look any better at 60fps.

Playing rebirth at 30. The 60 mode looks unbelievably bad. Games are getting heavier.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This seems to line up with what it will do on PS5, right? As in, the PS5 would look a little worse than a 6700xt? I doubt PS5 will look any better at 60fps.

Playing rebirth at 30. The 60 mode looks unbelievably bad. Games are getting heavier.
My guess is the consoles will dial back on the ray tracing and do something more custom. Perhaps mix in SSR with RT reflections or run lower-resolution reflections or something like that. The RTX 3060 Ti is usually a chunk faster than the consoles, especially in ray tracing provided it doesn't run into VRAM problems.

spons

Gold Member
lol, how are consoles going to run this game then? You can just turn off ray tracing and whatever crap causes these requirements on PC and enjoy it without upscaling.

mrcroket

People tend to forget that DLSS quality at 1440p is only 960p and 720p in performance mode.

Measuring internal resolution is stupid today, even when PS5 Pro comes out, we won't see internal resolutions higher than 1080p in many cases.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Am I missing something or are people reading this wrong?

The whole point of up-scaling like DLSS is to take a lower native resolution and make it look convincing as a higher resolution.

720p base is pre-DLSS.

baphomet

That sounds about right.

60fps with settings higher than console most likely.

It's not like the 3060ti was a high end card even when it came out 4 years ago.

StereoVsn

Am I missing something or are people reading this wrong?

The whole point of up-scaling like DLSS is to take a lower native resolution and make it look convincing as a higher resolution.

720p base is pre-DLSS.
The issue is that especially on AMD base at under 1080p looks like crap, it’s very blurry.

The other issue is that console performance is going to be pretty terrible judging by the specs.

But really the main takeaway is stop preordering this shit, lol.

If it has ray tracing, zero pop in, next gen geometry, I think its in line with other games.

Its not a ps4 game and will bring hardware to its knees.

Could be unoptimised mess though. So wait for release.

Referring to DLSS / FSR as upscaling techniques is just plain wrong, because that's not what they do. Standard upscaling, as the name suggests, simply upscales the existing data, and it only results in quality loss. DLSS / FSR however reconstructs the data based on temporal data (previous frames), making the image even more detailed compared to the native image (at least in motion). Gamers who think that 1080p DLSSQ means playing at 720p are simply wrong, because the end image will look like 1080p.

I'm not surprised that the 3060ti is only recommended for 1080p. The RTX3060ti and even the RTX3070 are still capable cards even at 1440p, but that 8GB VRAM limitation makes it necessary to make drastic VRAM savings by reducing resolution. The Jedi Survival could allocate even more than 12GB VRAM, yet alone game with much bigger world like SW Outlaws.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I tried Avatar on console during its recent trial. And both the 40fps mode and performance modes looked fine inside buildings. But step outside and the jungle looked awful. Medium to long distance detail was terrible. Maybe the Pro will help, but this isn't looking good. Its a shame because Division 2 looked decent enough and ran well.

bbeach123

Bet it had ray tracing and you cant even turn it off . Then they will "update" a performance patch later to remove ray tracing after lots of people complaining

Last edited:
Top Bottom