• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 12.10: Thread of QQ'ing about Quantal Quetzals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This should work. If nothing comes up when you try you might have to wait till later in the day.

That's fine. I've got class tomorrow anyway - I bought a USB to back up my files in Ubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu for school (mostly) for the last 2 years, been using UbuntuOne and decided to get a USB to back up absolutely everything in case the install goes wrong tomorrow. I don't fully trust cloud storage yet lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's fine. I've got class tomorrow anyway - I bought a USB to back up my files in Ubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu for school (mostly) for the last 2 years, been using UbuntuOne and decided to get a USB to back up absolutely everything in case the install goes wrong tomorrow. I don't fully trust cloud storage yet lol.

Honestly you should be fine. Biggest issue everyone will run into is just overloaded servers in terms of downloading the necessary update files. The update process itself is rather simple actually. I know it use to be rather fubar back in the day, but it's night and day since then.

Ubuntu Desktops 12.04 LTS to 12.10 (Recommended)

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

Run the update-manager -d application from the Unity Dash or a command line

In Update Manager, click the Settings... button, and enter your password to start the Software Sources application.

Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources application.
Confirm the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:" option is set to "For any new version", and change it if otherwise.
Close the Software Sources application and return to Update Manager.

In Update Manager, click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.

Click Upgrade.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Does Linux have support for intel's integrated video?

maharg

idspispopd
Does Linux have support for intel's integrated video?

Very good support, actually. With open source and well maintained drivers, even. None of this poor but well integrated open source drivers vs. proprietary drivers that don't do xrandr and such properly nonsense like with nvidia and ati cards.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Very good support, actually. With open source and well maintained drivers, even.

Cool. Is there a way to auto-rebuild when you update the kernel? When I've used Ubuntu before, I'd update stuff and then the video or network driver would crap out. Sometimes I'd reboot into "low graphics mode" because something screwed up. Seems like any change to the kernel requires a rebuild of the driver. Is there a way to automate that process, or does Ubuntu 12.x already have that feature?

maharg

idspispopd
That sounds like something that would be a problem with the proprietary nvidia or ati drivers. The intel drivers install without any weird hackery as part of the core system so that's a really unlikely issue. You don't build them, they're just plain old packages.

Vanillalite

That sounds like something that would be a problem with the proprietary nvidia or ati drivers. The intel drivers install without any weird hackery as part of the core system so that's a really unlikely issue. You don't build them, they're just plain old packages.

I'm not sure that's been an issue even with nvidia or ati drivers in forever. Seems like a Linux problem of yesteryear that was conquered years ago. At least on the main desktop distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, Debina, or Mint I haven't seen this problem in years.

Tankshell

There shouldn't be provided you don't have any current 12.04 troubles. I can't confirm this though as I have an ATI 4XXX series card. I haven't had any OMFG gpu driver issues though like I've experienced in years passed.

Not yet. Even better, I had nvidia-current-updates which normally screws my graphics but this time it updated correctly!

Sounds good to me, I wonder if they have got the compiz desktop cube working nicely with unity yet...

Vanillalite

HAPPY QUANTAL QUETZAL RELEASE DAY!!!!!!!

banner1.png
banner2.png
banner3.png

12%20-%201%20quetzal%201.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly you should be fine. Biggest issue everyone will run into is just overloaded servers in terms of downloading the necessary update files. The update process itself is rather simple actually. I know it use to be rather fubar back in the day, but it's night and day since then.

Ubuntu Desktops 12.04 LTS to 12.10 (Recommended)

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

Run the update-manager -d application from the Unity Dash or a command line

In Update Manager, click the Settings... button, and enter your password to start the Software Sources application.

Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources application.
Confirm the "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:" option is set to "For any new version", and change it if otherwise.
Close the Software Sources application and return to Update Manager.

In Update Manager, click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.

Click Upgrade.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

Thanks. I checked this out this morning but it said that it was still the Beta release, so I'm waiting until later in the day just in case!

Also skimmed through this review of Ubuntu 12.10 that claims it's slow. I hope that's not the case with my machine. I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad x120e with an AMD Fusion E350 CPU with 4GB of ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 video card. Hope it's fine.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm not sure that's been an issue even with nvidia or ati drivers in forever. Seems like a Linux problem of yesteryear that was conquered years ago. At least on the main desktop distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, Debina, or Mint I haven't seen this problem in years.

It's not sadly. If I let them install the current drivers for my nvidia card everything works well but if I install the newer drivers via jockey, from the official ubuntu repository the graphics will break. And if you fix them it will still break everytime you upgrade your kernel.

Im not sure if the problem is the drivers or dkms but I have opened several bugs regarding it and they always blame nvidia, which I believe.

Vanillalite

It's out! Even has a tag line on the front page "avoid the pains of Windows 8"...

Edit: posted the same time and loled at the same joke!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's out! Even has a tag line on the front page "avoid the pains of Windows 8"...

Edit: posted the same time and loled at the same joke!

:p.

I'm still worried about doing the straight update from within Ubuntu. It still says it's the Beta release.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brett, smack me. I'm thinking of giving up my awesome System 76 laptop and going exclusively with the latest Chromebook...

Ferrio

Banned
Updated, nothing really apparent changed... had to rebind some stuff.. but other than that good. Hopefully my lockups have been resolved, time will tell.

My biggest question is:

Is it possible to have Windows or Windows-like fonts as the default one is to small on my 1080 monitor. It is painful to try and read GAF.
I know about CTRL+ Mouse Wheel up but it doesn't stick. If I use bigger fonts some pages look horrible, so it is either Windows fonts or some other elegant solution :)

maharg

idspispopd
It's not sadly. If I let them install the current drivers for my nvidia card everything works well but if I install the newer drivers via jockey, from the official ubuntu repository the graphics will break. And if you fix them it will still break everytime you upgrade your kernel.

Im not sure if the problem is the drivers or dkms but I have opened several bugs regarding it and they always blame nvidia, which I believe.

I think the idea that nVidia is the most linux friendly graphic card company out there is quickly becoming outdated. I'm entirely serious when I say that Intel is now the standard-bearer for how to live in the linux driver ecosystem. I almost wish Intel would start releasing discrete gpu cards now because of it.

My biggest question is:

Is it possible to have Windows or Windows-like fonts as the default one is to small on my 1080 monitor. It is painful to try and read GAF.
I know about CTRL+ Mouse Wheel up but it doesn't stick. If I use bigger fonts some pages look horrible, so it is either Windows fonts or some other elegant solution :)
Install MyUnity and you'll be able to change the font size. By the way, you can import Windows typefaces if you create a folder called ~/.fonts (which you can then switch to thanks to MyUnity)

Massa

Follow the standard procedure to upgrade to 12.10 then simply install the "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" package.

Once that's done, add the GNOME 3 PPA to your system and install the available updates.

Just an update, Ubuntu GNOME 12.10 has also been released and the official upgrade instructions have been posted:

Upgrade
It is strongly recommended to do a fresh install however if you prefer to attempt an upgrade instead, first upgrade to Quantal Quetzal 12.10. Then run the following commands:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop ubuntu-gnome-default-settings
(make sure to select gdm as default display manager when prompted)

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-settings
Note that this will remove 'ubuntu-desktop'

The release notes are here.

Vanillalite

My biggest question is:

You can install MS Core Fonts from the Software Center.

Massa

If only Shuttleworth saw the light... but I guess there's more money to be made in forcing your ad-infected skin onto the Linux noobites.

Unfortunately things are moving in the opposite direction.

Ubuntu was great because they hired some great engineers from projects like Debian and GNOME to shape and develop it. Over time Shuttleworth got more and more obsessed with control, their best open source people left and it's been going downhill ever since.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My biggest question is:

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/msttcorefonts/

Unfortunately things are moving in the opposite direction.

Ubuntu was great because they hired some great engineers from projects like Debian and GNOME to shape and develop it. Over time Shuttleworth got more and more obsessed with control, their best open source people left and it's been going downhill ever since.

WTF at that blog post. Really Shuckleworths?

Upside is, Gnome Shell should really get some good people with developments like this and Amazon ads. When they finally do make Gnome OS I hope it overtakes Ubuntu.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just upgraded. Everything works fine and is good to go. The upgrade removed some of my applications though.

neobiz

Just upgraded. Everything works fine and is good to go. The upgrade removed some of my applications though.

I upgraded a buddies 10.10 and got that message. I assume it was Google Desktop since they axed that a year ago. I had to go hunting for a .deb cause he likes using it and hates change.

XUbuntu for me. I run pretty old hardware and it works well.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how to integrate web apps properly ... I had to load pages in FireFox before I got notified to allow Ubuntu access. Anyone know how to allow it to work in Chromium (my browser of choice). Also - videos that show how exactly the web apps work?

Also - online accounts integration is nice, I guess I can turn off those chats on GTalk and Facebook Chat so I don't get double messages.

Edit: Another thing - are you suppose to be notified when you have new emails and Facebook updates via the messaging icon? I got an email but didn't see a '1' beside GMail.

Vanillalite

Not sure how to integrate web apps properly ... I had to load pages in FireFox before I got notified to allow Ubuntu access. Anyone know how to allow it to work in Chromium (my browser of choice). Also - videos that show how exactly the web apps work?

Also - online accounts integration is nice, I guess I can turn off those chats on GTalk and Facebook Chat so I don't get double messages.

Edit: Another thing - are you suppose to be notified when you have new emails and Facebook updates via the messaging icon? I got an email but didn't see a '1' beside GMail.

You have to actually have the web app running and not just installed. Click on the app in question in the message menu to launch it, and then you'll see your message menu change accordingly. Yes yes to an extent it's a glorified bookmark just with desktop notification hooks.

You'll understand what I mean once you use it for a bit. :p

I pretty well have been using Ubuntu from 7.04 till 12.04 as my desktop of choice. But ever since I built a new PC, I have been using Windows 7 for the last 4-5 months. I'll definite give 12.10 a go, but I actually seem to be happy with Win7 as my current desktop.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You have to actually have the web app running and not just installed. Click on the app in question in the message menu to launch it, and then you'll see your message menu change accordingly. Yes yes to an extent it's a glorified bookmark just with desktop notification hooks.

You'll understand what I mean once you use it for a bit. :p

Oh alright, I'll check it out.

I'm noticing too that when I open GMail, Facebook or Twitter from their respective apps on the dash, that it just opens a new Chromium window that says untitled window lol. When I move around with alt+tab it shows Chromium too.

Hieberrr

I pretty well have been using Ubuntu from 7.04 till 12.04 as my desktop of choice. But ever since I built a new PC, I have been using Windows 7 for the last 4-5 months. I'll definite give 12.10 a go, but I actually seem to be happy with Win7 as my current desktop.

Honestly, if I built a new PC, I'd be running Windows 7 too. There's no reason to run Ubuntu on a newly built machine unless it's a budget machine or something.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I'm doing this right or wrong but I'm having a hard time with Web Apps. My inner noob is showing.

maharg

idspispopd
Honestly, if I built a new PC, I'd be running Windows 7 too. There's no reason to run Ubuntu on a newly built machine unless it's a budget machine or something.

What reasons did you used to have that are no longer true? I think there are plenty of reasons to do so, personally.

Hieberrr

What reasons did you used to have that are no longer true? I think there are plenty of reasons to do so, personally.

I installed it for fun, LOL. I'm assuming that OP built a pretty fine machine (since OP actually took the time to build it), so I feel like you'd get the most out of your hardware through windows.

And why is the font in every browser so damn small? Browsing GAF requires me to squint. Please tell me there's a way to fix this.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Weird bug I found.

When I press the power button on my laptop and press suspend - Ubuntu doesn't suspend my session. If I select suspend from the power button on the top bar, it works.

Vanillalite

Weird bug I found.

When I press the power button on my laptop and press suspend - Ubuntu doesn't suspend my session. If I select suspend from the power button on the top bar, it works.

You check to see if there is a report on launchpad?

PS: I tried to install the beta ati drivers... LoL... yeah anyways I fixed my fubar of trying beta drivers....

clav

Installing 12.10 on my netbook.

Since the Windows 8 Release Preview expires in January, I thought I might as well erase that now and see what the Ubuntu scene has been cooking lately.

clav

Installed. Somewhat disappointed. Performance is still behind Windows, especially for boot up times. Takes about 30 seconds longer. The dashboard that mimics Windows search takes forever to load as well.

Ubuntu also gave me 2-3 security warnings about installing Google Chrome and said its creation is out of range for a secure program.

Other than that, I like the drive encryption + password + setup system.

Did Ubuntu finally get rid of the restricted driver system? I don't see it in the settings.

Anyway, I'll keep it on my netbook for now as I'll have a complete OS that doesn't expire.

I may switch to lubuntu although I hate how other Linux distros/variants always use tiny fonts.

ektoll

I installed it on my girlfriends's hp mini, as an upgrade from 12.04. Everything seems fine, although I deleted the shopping lenses. Tomorrow, I'll do the same on my parent's laptop!

Is there anyone who was running Unity 2D before upgrading? How does Ubuntu 12.10 run on weaker systems?

I would prefer to run straight Ubuntu on my laptop (as opposed to Xubuntu or Lubuntu, which I use on different devices), but I'm a bit concerned that it might become less usable since they ditched Unity 2D.

Vanillalite

Installed. Somewhat disappointed. Performance is still behind Windows, especially for boot up times. Takes about 30 seconds longer. The dashboard that mimics Windows search takes forever to load as well.

Ubuntu also gave me 2-3 security warnings about installing Google Chrome and said its creation is out of range for a secure program.

Other than that, I like the drive encryption + password + setup system.

Did Ubuntu finally get rid of the restricted driver system? I don't see it in the settings.

Anyway, I'll keep it on my netbook for now as I'll have a complete OS that doesn't expire.

I may switch to lubuntu although I hate how other Linux distros/variants always use tiny fonts.

They removed the program, but it's in your software sources. Click the dash, type in software sources, load said program, then navigate to the additional drivers tab, and then install away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom