• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubuntu 12.10: Thread of QQ'ing about Quantal Quetzals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Installing lubuntu to my EEE right now. Apparently I had ubuntu 11.10 installed before.

Reporting back, thing is slick now. Granted I'd use it more if the battery could hold a charge, but now it is nice to have a laptop with a function ethernet port (silly MBA!)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note I decided to switch to the beta channel of Firefox in Ubuntu 12.10. I use to be a Chrome(ium) guy, but ever since about Chrome 20 things begain to go fubar for me. Only slightly annoying thing about switching my default FF to the beta channel verses just downloading a standalone tar is the PPA wrote over some stuff. So while my history and add-ons and the like were still there I had to reinstall all of my
"web" apps.

Polari

So I installed Lubuntu 12.10. It's pretty great. Just needs more integration between its disparate parts and some bug fixes. Man, there really is nothing wrong with the Windows 95 layout. Don't know why everyone is so eager to abandon it.

itxaka

Defeatist
Reporting back, thing is slick now. Granted I'd use it more if the battery could hold a charge, but now it is nice to have a laptop with a function ethernet port (silly MBA!)

Remember to install Jupiter. It's a godsend for Eee PC computers, its the equivalent of the super-Hybrid app for windows, it will help your battery a lot.

I think the idea that nVidia is the most linux friendly graphic card company out there is quickly becoming outdated. I'm entirely serious when I say that Intel is now the standard-bearer for how to live in the linux driver ecosystem. I almost wish Intel would start releasing discrete gpu cards now because of it.

Except when they fuck up and release a propietary third party gpu (cedarview), I have to agree. In fact I thinnk they were the first ones providing a KMS enabled driver that allowed the smooth transitions from boot to desktop. Shame that their super GPU in the CPU failed, linux would have gain a lot from it.

Just imagine a open source driver for a nice capable card out of the box. rawr.

Vanillalite

Everyone running Ubuntu 12.10 or one of the variants should post a picture of their 12.10 desktop! I can start...

Stock Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal
screenshotfrom2012-10p6r76.png

Chris R

Have you used Lubuntu before?

Nope, Ubuntu "Netbook Edition" was installed before. It was better than Windows XP the EEE came with but still a bit clunky.

Remember to install Jupiter. It's a godsend for Eee PC computers, its the equivalent of the super-Hybrid app for windows, it will help your battery a lot.

Any point if I'm on AC power all the time? The batter doesn't hold a charge any more so I can't use it if it isn't plugged into the wall.

itxaka

Defeatist

Goddamm, it's freaking sexy. Thanks you.

Any point if I'm on AC power all the time? The batter doesn't hold a charge any more so I can't use it if it isn't plugged into the wall.

Ah well, not really then. You can manage the performance models so maybe you can force the super performance all the time to squeeze a bit more power from it.

Also it controls the monitor output so if you plug in to another monitor you can manage it better and you can also enable/disable wifi/camera/sd card.

Basically it's for the power options so not really useful in your case.

Finally got an update for Torchligth on QQ. Wonder whats new.

Vanillalite

I wonder how many people in the general show off your wallpaper thread even get the Linux nod in the coffee cup. :p

Anyways now you can install Ubuntu 12.10 on your Nexus 7.

GAF THREAD!

This Ubuntu install is going to make me lose my hair at an early age.

1.) The install constantly hangs at "Copying installation logs..."

2.) The GRUB seems to be missing

3.) The thumbdrive managed to corrupt itself twice

4.) Hanging at selecting the timezone

5.) Not having permission to access files and folders while trying to fix the GRUB; drives that need remounting not being able to umount.

I mean, this is easily the worst install experience of a major OS I've ever had. If anyone has any ideas (or if I should just shoot myself now), let me know. FWIW, I'm trying to install 10.12 on a clean drive using the thumb drive (ISO created with the Linux Thumbdrive app) and/or a burned DVD.

I was able to get the 64-bit version installed, but some needed applications weren't working on that one. The 32-bit version is acting like a dickhead, and GRUB has yet to do anything but take me to the GRUB rescue prompt.

This is some bullshit. And it sucks because there's no particular direction in the normal installation guides that suggest I do anything differently than what I'm doing.

Vanillalite

What program are you using to make your USB install?

I can recommend one to try and that might work better. Also you might want to redownload the .iso just to make sure you didn't get a bad download.

whitehawk

Banned
Can anyone help me out with installing Lubuntu?

When I select install alongside Windows, it just restarts the computer. I can't get to the next screen to install it. Any help? The live USB boot works fine.

When I said check for disc defects, it found one. I tried re downloading Lubuntu and putting it on my USB stick, and I still get 1 defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom