• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200: Diaz vs McGregor 2 official. Frankie Edgar vs Jose Aldo for Interim FT Title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go, its official.

Let the mind games recommence.

The anticipated rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is set to headline UFC 200.

The fight, which was first reported by MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani on March 18, was made official during a UFC Tonight broadcast on Wednesday night. It will be contested at 170 pounds, as part of a milestone event on July 9 set to christen Las Vegas’ new T-Mobile Arena.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/3/3...r-mcgregor-and-nate-diaz-official-for-ufc-200

Fox318

Fucking stupid.

Frankie should get the real belt shot.

Diaz vs McGregor was a one off because of an injury and it should be treated that way.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How can you have an Interim fight when the Champion is fighting on the same card, Conor really is scared of Frankie.

How can you have an Interim fight when the Champion is fighting on the same card, Conor really is scared of Frankie.

"Conor is scared of [insert fighter here]" is fucking laughable at this point considering who he's both faced and/or been scheduled to face over the last year.

I have no hype at all for a Nate/Conor rematch, but saying Conor is doing it because he wants to avoid Frankie is ridiculous. He wants the biggest money matchup, and the 1.5 million PPV buys for the last show lead him to believe that Nate is his biggest money matchup.

Jerm411

That card and what they've announced so far is completely lackluster...could care less about either of the top fights.

Holy shit the poster is THE TRUTH

kfMb.png

NHale

Why 170 though? I thought the first fight was at that weight because Nate couldn't cut weight in 10 days. Now why don't they fight at 155? Is it a setup for damage control in case of a likely Connor defeat? "He can still contend the Lightweight belt against Dos Anjos because he lost 2 fights at 170 not 155!!!"

I like the idea of a Frankie vs Aldo fight but not the Interim Title. There are a lot of champions that don't defend their title for more than 6 months so I don't see the big point but maybe Connor can't make 145 again and they are already preparing for the smooth transition.

Or UFC doesn't know how to milk the Connor cow anymore because if Khabib beats Tony Ferguson in April (most likely) he earned the title fight against Dos Anjos and bye bye Connor McGregor shot at 155. At 170 is even more a non contender than 155.

I'm guessing the plan now is to see if Khabib wins, Connor tries to go for 145 in December to fight the winner of Edgar vs Aldo, if Khabib loses Connor vacates his belt and goes after Dos Anjos.

Xion385

McGregor doesn't have anything to gain if he wins. I don't understand this at all. All McGregor can say after is, "I got you back."

Jerm411

McGregor doesn't have anything to gain if he wins. I don't understand this at all. All McGregor can say after is, "I got you back."

I'm sure they're banking on Conor winning therefore making a 3rd fight to settle the tie...gonna be funny when Nate beats him again though and renders this completely pointless.

Nameless

Seems like pride got the better of Conor's judgement. Though I guess a huge payday to not defend your title would be appealing. It would be brand damaging if he gets stopped again, though.

If he wins he'll fight GSP at 170 at the UFC debut at Madison Square Garden

Ultimate Entertainment Fighting. I heard about this shit and it's getting ridiculous. Dana has no balls. Maybe once Diaz beats him again, the Conor train will lose some hype so he won't halt the 145 division with unnecessary vanity fights.

Fitts

So much stupid here.

-Nate/Conor at 170 again when the ideal weight for both is 155
-Aldo/Edgar for an interim belt when the title holder has been totally capable of defending it; Conor should be forced to defend or drop
-No title fight on a "milestone" card... just a farcical "interim" fight that's playing second fiddle to a for funzies rematch

That said, I'm really looking forward to Miller/Gomi and Lauzon beating that ass. And of course the card is gonna do crazy numbers regardless.

EDIT: Someone above mentioned Lawler. Would be amazing to see him headline and he sure as fuck deserves to.

FStop7

Banned
While I understand why Diaz vs McGregor 2 is happening it seem like a poor choice for mcgregor.

It's the biggest payday, by far.

But the 145lb fighters should be rioting. If Conor isn't going to defend the belt then he should be forced to vacate the title. But Dana White won't do that.

The biggest winner of this fight is already Nate Diaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom