• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200: Diaz vs McGregor 2 official. Frankie Edgar vs Jose Aldo for Interim FT Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

TEfDIui.png

I hope the card is true, it's not bad.
No women on the card?

Fox318

Rematch still makes more money, far and away.

McGregor is the draw.

Even if he loses the Nate rematch is still there.

This card kills the aldo rematch, the frankie fight, and the potential for making nate a draw on his own.

Don't get the 170 weight for Conor and Diaz

But I'm guessing Diaz had the call in this case and knows he had the advantage at that weight

Conor has a serious 4 months of work on his wrestling and conditioning at that weight class

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Why are they creating an interim title.

Just strip Connor or make it #1 contender

Probably because the universal reaction to Connor vs Nate 2 at 170 was "Why the fuck would you do that?"

Don't get the 170 weight for Conor and Diaz

But I'm guessing Diaz had the call in this case and knows he had the advantage at that weight

Conor has a serious 4 months of work on his wrestling and conditioning at that weight class

Conor wanted it, from all indications. Diaz was confused about the whole ordeal every time I saw him comment on it.

AntMurda

Okay, this is a good card. It could be better, but most of the champs were tied up on ufc 197-199. Anyway, this is definitely lining up for the MSG card.

Rematch makes complete sense. Conor wants another big box office fight, and to avenge his loss, and even if he loses again, he still has his belt. Diaz gets another big pay day, another big main event, and if he wins, it's hard to say the company wouldn't be pushing him hard as hell from the closing bell and on.

BadAss2961

For some reason I thought they'd go with a super card for 200. While this is solid, it doesn't look like anything special quite yet.

A Rousey fight or Tate/Holm II could make it something super.

FStop7

Banned
Really, I'm pretty happy to see Nate Diaz getting a huge payday. I didn't know much about him before the first Conor fight. His jiu-jitsu is so goddamn good. The guy talks so much shit and brings that IDGAF persona but it's kind of a deception. He's patient and zen as fuck.

iddqd

So lame that they are doing this, there was nothing about the first one that needed to be repeated.
Le Sigh. I will watch nonetheless of course.

NHL94

Banned
It's sad I have no interest in this card aside from, and barely, Aldo/Edgar 2.

UFCs 197, 198, and 199 all shit on this.

This is not "200" quality. 100 felt huge.

Is this the first time an Interim title fight is happening while the champion is healthy and in another match on the same card?

Dana White is turning into a poor mans' Vince McMahon.

Jal

The most interesting thing about Diaz/McGregor 2 is what Conor has to say in the press conference.

Is this the first time an Interim title fight is happening while the champion is healthy and in another match on the same card?

It's the first time I can think of. It's honestly insulting to Frankie and Aldo. "Well the FW champion is busy doing this pointless rematch just because of money, so here, have a worthless interim title while we hype up this rematch where the featherweight champ fights a lightweight at middlewight"

The ultimate turning into the WWE more and more every card. And compared to the 198 card 200 actually looks weak as fuck

pixelation

Can't see McGregor not going to the ground at least once and then it's game over again. I don't see McGregor winning. Also... UFC 200 is looking kinda lackluster so far IMO.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Potential reasoning for having this sort of interim title fight:

1) No-other title holders will be fighting on the card and they feel compelled to have at least one title fight for marquee reasons.
2) McCasual fans don't know what "Number 1 contender" means, so they'd prefer to see McGregor fight another champion in his next fight.
3) If you're willing to abandon reason and read heavily between the lines: McGregor is abandoning the 145 division if he beats Diaz so they need to get a new champion lined up.

Say what you want about Dana White, but he's far better than and out of touch old man. UFC might have went downhill a bit in the past few years, but at least they have put on some really great shows. WWE has been unwatchable. Mania 32 is the worst WWE card on paper.

Dazzler

He's been jumping between 145 and 155 all of his fighting career. I don't understand why all of the sudden 145 is a problem.

As guys age it becomes harder to make the weight cut. Also, Conor has NEVER been this big

Guy is swole as fuck. I think getting down to 145 is almost an impossibility for him

KOMANI

KOMANI
So the 2 main events for UFC 200 are Rematches, that little room for different outcomes?
I mean, I see the reasoning here... Edgar and Mcgreggor both win their fights, they'll most likely main event the NY card, but c'mon! This is UFC 200. Let's get some GSP in there, let's have a real featherweight championship bout.

Camwi

Didn't see some of the other fights on here. I hope Cain knocks Browne's head off.

I'd love to see see Lawler headline. Having a non-title fight headline the card is complete nonsense.

Let's be honest here, Cain's not even going to make it to the fight.

JimiNutz

Banned
Absolutely ridiculous that they are fighting at WW again. Both fighters are natural LWs so why are they going at 170 lbs again?!

Dana claims that Conor is obsessed with not only avenging the Nate loss but also doing it at WW which seems...stupid.

dem

Absolutely ridiculous that they are fighting at WW again. Both fighters are natural LWs so why are they going at 170 lbs again?!

Dana claims that Conor is obsessed with not only avenging the Nate loss but also doing it at WW which seems...stupid.

They are only fighting at 170lbs so the UFC and Connor can keep claiming he lost 2 weight classes above his natural class. If he loses it softens the blow to his image.

Forget the fact that Nate is a 155lb fighter..

BadAss2961

Nate is going to dominate Conor again, probably even worse this time.
I don't know about dominate, but I don't see it going down much differently than the first fight. Not unless Conor can land big and finish early this time.

The slower the pace, the more it favors Diaz. The longer the fight, the more time Diaz has to get in rhythm with superior reach and boxing. The ground is all Diaz.

Conor had the right idea in the first fight but couldn't hold up. This isn't the best matchup for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom