• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Superstar Ronda Rousey expressing major interest in Boxing / Golden Boy Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
56327ec13933a.jpg

It appears UFC Women's Bantamweight Chamption Ronda Rousey is giving the world of boxing some serious consideration. Dana White better start stacking her paycheck's BIG TIME.

Rousey

"I want to be more involved with the sport," Rousey said. "It's very difficult right now. But I'll see what I can do. I've got an Olympic medal. I would want to retire from MMA as one of the greatest of all time. I would love to have a chance to be the boxing world champion. "

De La Hoya

"We have something brewing and this is obviously the beginning," De La Hoya said. "It's created a lot of big buzz within the boxing industry. Mission accomplished. We've discussed it and whenever she's ready to step into the ring as a fighter, as a boxer, then obviously Golden Boy Promotions will be right there with her," he said. ... "She's tough. She's really good. Speed, power and instinct, which is very important. She dares to be great. That's the difference between her and a lot of fighters."

Her Coach Edmond Tarverdyan

"Ronda can box," Tarverdyan said. "Ronda has knockout punching power in both hands. It doesn't matter what hand she touches you with -- it's dangerous. She's proved that with the last fight."

Pretty interesting stuff, would be a huge event if she crosses over. I wonder if the UFC will strike a deal with Golden Boy Promotions and let her do both? Massive paydays ahead for her either way

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F08%2F02%2Fronda%2Bko%2B2.gif

031_Ronda_Rousey.0.jpg

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/...-its-looking-more-and-more-like-a-possibility

I mean there isn't even a single woman in the entire sport of boxing and only a handfull of men with anything anywhere near her drawing power, it makes a hell of a lot of sense for her to do it. Question is if UFC will allow it

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm curious what people will say if Rousey KO's her

Holm is a more than credible boxer

Well it's a little different when your opponent has to worry about being taken down. Same reason GSP was scrubbing everyone out with a simple jab.

Well it's a little different when your opponent has to worry about being taken down. Same reason GSP was scrubbing everyone out with a simple jab.

I expect many more excuses like this if Rousey cold KO's her

though a sub is more likely of course. Holm isn't a pocket boxer, especially not in MMA. She likes to be at kicking distance and she will avoid a close quarters shootout due to the clinch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

though a sub is more likely of course. Holm isn't a pocket boxer, especially not in MMA. She likes to be at kicking distance and she will avoid a close quarters shootout due to the clinch.

I don't see how that's an excuse. MMA striking and pure boxing are not comparable. Ronda's stand up is entirely dependent on the threat of her Judo.

I don't see how that's an excuse. MMA striking and pure boxing are not comparable.

I mean I agree, I just expect no one from the world of boxing to give her an ounce of credit if she KO's a legit boxer of the caliber of Holm. They will all give reasons to excuse it.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
A grappler who thinks they're a striker. This always happens in MMA until they get humbled. Ronda is believing her own hype, the downfall will be delicious.

Ronda is taking her down in the first 20 seconds of the fight.

Ronda is taking her down in the first 20 seconds of the fight.

Eh I think Holm may be able to keep it standing for a bit. She uses distance really well, and actually may tag Rousey a bit early as Ronda pretty much just straight charges early in fights. I could see Holm actually having some success on her for a bit, but ultimately Ronda will win and finish in likely the 1st round

Lmao Yall are killing me with these gifs, the technique is so basura but who knows. She's pretty damn tough if she gets some proper and lengthy training she could be alright

entremet

Is there any serious competition anyway? Lela Ali cleaned up mostly by handpicking scrubs.

Boxing is actually worse in terms of getting great matchups. Look how long Floyd/Mayweather took? Both past their primes too.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Junior dos Santos said he could beat both Klitschko brothers. Then he had his rubber match with Cain...

Mega

Banned
Correct they don't at all, its more to show you can make GIF's look like anything. Posting one random GIF with a bunch of LMAO's after it doesn't change the picture on anything either.

The gif matches up nicely with reality, with what we have seen of her standup across several fights. It's awkward brute force and just kind of bad, its effectiveness only going so far because her opponents are smaller, slower, have worse standup and are chicken shit scared of getting tossed to the ground at any moment.

Dude. I'm actually a fan. But that gif looked stupid as hell..you'll be alright lol.

Again read my point, its not about claiming Ronda is a world class boxer, she's not. Its more that posting a random GIF of her in a hoodie throwing punches at open air doesn't mean anything. You can post gif's that make her look decent / adequate as well.

I mean I'm not even a huge Ronda fan I just love MMA and threads about her are the only way to talk about MMA on GAF.

I bet Serena Williams could smash most women boxers too, then.

Comparing Serena Williams to Ronda Rousey in fighting is one of the more ridiculous things I have ever read on any forum anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom