• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Undisputed 3 |OT| Late to the Fight

So does the game keep track of title changes? I won a tournament with Rousimar Palhares and he won the middleweight title. Later, I set up an event and noticed you can turn any match into a title match (whether or not there is a champion involved). Anyone know?

I know I am probably "playing it wrong" but it is hard to be a pure stand up fighter as you get later on. I have been training my standing attacks, but they keep trying to take me down and submitting the hell out of me later on.

Do I have a chance as a pure stand up fighter, or do I have to give in and start working on the ground game?

brentech

I know I am probably "playing it wrong" but it is hard to be a pure stand up fighter as you get later on. I have been training my standing attacks, but they keep trying to take me down and submitting the hell out of me later on.

Do I have a chance as a pure stand up fighter, or do I have to give in and start working on the ground game?

Whether in the game or in real life, every fighter near the top of the division has to be pretty well rounded. If not well rounded, be very good at getting out of bad positions. Some fighters that aren't very good on the ground are freakishly well versed at scrambling to their feet. I believe you have to at least have that going for you.

If you really want to stay a majority striker, I recommend a very high cardio so you can attempt to push off or are able to hold an opponent down long enough for the ref to stand you up.

My first career fighter is a Judo fighter that I've added a lot of striking to, but I just love judo throws. So technical and yet so very violent when the opponent smashes into the mat.

Any advice for Career Mode on how to get your stats to their max potential? I've heard everything from "go to UFC as soon as you can" to "go to UFC as late as you can." I followed the latter and I think I fucked myself because I'm only at a 75. :(

brentech

Going to the UFC doesn't really change anything for stat progression. The only difference I've seen it make is a drastic step up in competition where you're fighting people that potentially have at least 10 more OVR skill than you...and you get more "cred".

The key is choosing your training wisely, and not using a game plan unless you're like 90% sure you can actually complete it in the actual match. Game plans have the chance to increase more stats than any other training, but if you fail during the actual fight, you get no benefit. If you fail during the game plan training, it's not a big deal because if you are successful during the real match - you just let a less of a boost to all the stats, but a boost none the less.

I don't believe adding techniques adjusts your OVR or any stats for that matter, so add what want, train stats that you need to increase for other techniques with higher requirements, and once you feel like you have all your techniques, just be wise about the usage of training over game plans.
My first CAF career I busted way too many game plans, after like 30 fights he's an 81 OVR I believe. Could be so much better if I only used training instead.

Not sure about this game, but in UFC 2010 all my created fighters were pure stand up with high submission, ground grapple and ground striking defense(70+) and they all did just fine.

Fifty

(Warning: Gameplan rant incoming)

Some of the game plans are much easier than others. For example, I think that "aggressive" is much easier than ground and pound.
Aggressive requires you to have a 1st round KO, outstrike the opponent and not get taken down. That's not hard to do against low-level guys.

Ground and pound has 2 easy enough objectives but it requiring you to finish your opponent on his first "rocked state" is the one that always gets me. No matter how well I'm doing, at least half of the time when I rock a guy from mount he manages to grab my head long enough to pull out of the initial rocked state.

I don't think it's fair that the gameplan rewards are all or nothing. If your complete 2/3 of the objectives you should get at least half of your bonus. It's very frustrating to "fail" it after a dominating win when you stuck to your plan but missed one tiny little objective.

rvy

Banned
PRIDE DLC for Kawajiri, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Minowaman and Fedor, come on. Get your shit together, THQ.

(Warning: Gameplan rant incoming)

Some of the game plans are much easier than others. For example, I think that "aggressive" is much easier than ground and pound.
Aggressive requires you to have a 1st round KO, outstrike the opponent and not get taken down. That's not hard to do against low-level guys.

Ground and pound has 2 easy enough objectives but it requiring you to finish your opponent on his first "rocked state" is the one that always gets me. No matter how well I'm doing, at least half of the time when I rock a guy from mount he manages to grab my head long enough to pull out of the initial rocked state.

I don't think it's fair that the gameplan rewards are all or nothing. If your complete 2/3 of the objectives you should get at least half of your bonus. It's very frustrating to "fail" it after a dominating win when you stuck to your plan but missed one tiny little objective.

Aggressive is a joke in the lower levels, just spam power punches until they drop lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Clinch/Takedown game seems to work pretty well for me. In the higher weight classes, I get flash ko'd a fair amount once those guys start throwing combos. I just got destroyed by Rampage trying to stand with him.

So it sounds like I can do the stand up game, but I have to make sure my sub/takedown/mat defense is high enough to not get destroyed instantly. What are the best training options for just increasing the defense?

brentech

After learning my lesson about game plans as I stated earlier, my first career fighter is at 38 fights and has an overall of 84. I think with a smarter approach in my next fighter should be able to get pretty high up there by his end of 48 fights, I think is the max.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I have an Xbox 360 Overeem code to give away if anyone wants, it seems easy to just get it on that new link. Still PM me if you want the code.

Also anyone want to get a league going?
I'm up for some matches regardless.

PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

Jube3

I wouldn't say you're playing it wrong at all, but I would say spend a lot of time learning the other aspects of the game though so you can execute that gameplan. If you're out sparring your opponent chances are hes going to try and change that by changing the fight. Its very easy to get caught in the clinch or in bottom position and struggle to get out. It can be frustrating if you aren't used to that part of the system and want to keep it standing.

PRIDE DLC for Kawajiri, Sakurai, Aoki, Sakuraba, Minowaman and Fedor, come on. Get your shit together, THQ.

lol Fedor will never be in a Zuffa game, they'll put some Dan-esque joke character parody of Fedor in it before they ever actually put him in it.

Afrikan

anyone order it from shopTHQ?

is that the best deal? they say you get the season pass free.

I want to get it asap locally, but I don't want to pay for DLC down the road.....so I might be willing to wait 5-8 more days. :(

thank god the demo still works.

I hate how it lets both players be the same fighter

I'm tired of Jose Aldo vs Jose Aldo and Silva vs Silva

Just show me who they picked so I don't pick the same dude FFS

I know why they made it a lot easier to scramble back to your feet but ugh, ground and pound just isn't the same as it used to be

Maybe I need to go through the more advanced tutorials and relearn this stuff

Fifty

Are you guys playing on Simulation stamina or default? I think there's definitely more potential from the few fights I've done with simulation but there's also a heck of a learning curve.

brentech

Finished my first fighter in career mode. Even with all the blown game plans early on I managed an 89 OVR.

His last fight was in Pride GP finals against Ben Henderson, won it all by UD. Felt great since it was my last fight and I was t able to secure the UFC title. Lingered in the top 4 for like my last 8 fights and just couldn't win a match for chance at title.

Play on advanced with sim stamina, ended the career with 34-14.

mujun

Why can't I pass the last part of the beginner tutorial mode. I'm doing what seems to be blocking the sub attempt but the counter doesn't show a success.

arghhh

Foffy

Banned
I have a question to ask for those who have the game. As someone who played WWE '12 (I know it's not a real sport) but it seems THQ is trying to make both UFC and WWE similar in presentation and style, at least the games. What I was wondering then was is it possible to create cards to simulate UFC/PRIDE stuff ala WWE Universe, or is stuff like title defenses and matches all done in exhibitions and title modes with no way of streamlining it?

Also, does someone know when all of the DLC comes out? I am quite the sucker for Bob Sapp.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have a question to ask for those who have the game. As someone who played WWE '12 (I know it's not a real sport) but it seems THQ is trying to make both UFC and WWE similar in presentation and style, at least the games. What I was wondering then was is it possible to create cards to simulate UFC/PRIDE stuff ala WWE Universe, or is stuff like title defenses and matches all done in exhibitions and title modes with no way of streamlining it?

Also, does someone know when all of the DLC comes out? I am quite the sucker for Bob Sapp.

The game has an event creation mode and Bob Sapp is already in the game.

Fifty

I'm wondering where the hell Rory McDonald is =/

Featuring UFC fighters renowned for having the most exciting fights of the night – Joe Lauzon, Rory MacDonald, Charles Oliveira and Sam Stout, along with former UFC fighter Anthony Johnson – the Fight of the Night Pack will be available for a suggested purchase cost of 400 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360 or $4.99 USD via PlayStation Network in March 2012.

http://www.ufcundisputed.com/go/art...c_3_dlc_lineup_announced__get_the_season_pass

And if I had to wager a guess as to why McCorkle is in, it's probably because A) they were developing the game around when he was relevant (arm bar win over Mark Hunt, co-main event against Stefan Struve..one of the worst co-mains in recent PPVs) B) there weren't a lot of good HWs to choose from.

I hope that for the dlc characters they give them some personality or real-life exclusive moves. Paying for palate swaps isn't something we should support.

Gustaffson should have been in the game. He didn't just emerge in the past 6 months..he's been a legit prospect all during development of the game. They should have put him in over Cyrille Diabate. Looking at the roster, he's the only LHW that doesn't belong.

http://www.ufcundisputed.com/roster

Orca

Had seven or eight Pride-rule bouts against Jube tonight and really had a lot of fun after we started going random picks. Some pretty lopsided bouts, but also an epic one between GSP and Shields that got me the GOAAAALLLLL Achievement.

If I have time tomorrow I'm going to put the clips together and stick it on YouTube.

Orca

There was a little lag in one game, but not bad. You notice it in the submission system, but it doesn't ruin the game or anything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Picked this up after skipping out on all the rest since the original. Pretty impressed so far but have some really basic questions that are not answered by the long tutorial or online manual.

-The regular transition is quarter circle (e.g., top to right) and the major is e.g., top left diagonal to right? Because the in-game stuff and manual contradict on this point. Also, signature transitions are just like normal transitions but with L1?

-Transitions in clinch -- left or right stick?

-Is there any way to break a sub on offense? I do so many of these accidentally. Ugh.

-How do I posture up -- left or right stick back? It says left but all I ever do is drag guys around doing that.

-When you have someone's back, how do you flatten them out? Is it just another transition?

This is one of those games I'd honestly consider buying a strategy guide for just to have everything laid out. There's just so much....

Jube3

Had seven or eight Pride-rule bouts against Jube tonight and really had a lot of fun after we started going random picks. Some pretty lopsided bouts, but also an epic one between GSP and Shields that got me the GOAAAALLLLL Achievement.

If I have time tomorrow I'm going to put the clips together and stick it on YouTube.

*note to self, do NOT try to shoot when low on stamina in Pride... haha I ended up sprawling landing about a foot short and eating the soccer kick of doom.

I had my moment though, Mark Hunt landing the slowest spinning backfist in the history of MMA for the flash KO!

brentech

Picked this up after skipping out on all the rest since the original. Pretty impressed so far but have some really basic questions that are not answered by the long tutorial or online manual.

-The regular transition is quarter circle (e.g., top to right) and the major is e.g., top left diagonal to right? Because the in-game stuff and manual contradict on this point. Also, signature transitions are just like normal transitions but with L1? Correct

-Transitions in clinch -- left or right stick? Right stick

-Is there any way to break a sub on offense? I do so many of these accidentally. Ugh. =[ Don't believe so. I just let the sub run off. edit: maybe trying hitting R1/RB, during a punch/kick if hit early enough it cancels to attack. Also could try R1+R2/RB+RT those are usually how you faint an attack or takedown, but I imagine it's too late on a sub.

-How do I posture up -- left or right stick back? It says left but all I ever do is drag guys around doing that. Left stick actual postures up or to the sides. That said, the opponent has to be in open guard by releasing your head. Or if you're in full mount, you have to use the right stick to break mount clinch and then posture up with left stick.

-When you have someone's back, how do you flatten them out? Is it just another transition? Have not come across being totally flattened out or doing it to someone else. Not 100% sure it's in. Has only seemed that way once I've laid down punches from back control and the guy gets rocked.

This is one of those games I'd honestly consider buying a strategy guide for just to have everything laid out. There's just so much....

Is he? Hmm, according to the website, he's listed as "Coming Soon". Which characters in the roster are DLC, then?
Just means their link to his fighter information page is coming soon. He's in the game for sure.

Orca

*note to self, do NOT try to shoot when low on stamina in Pride... haha I ended up sprawling landing about a foot short and eating the soccer kick of doom.

I had my moment though, Mark Hunt landing the slowest spinning backfist in the history of MMA for the flash KO!

Yeah that was ridiculous. I missed with, I think, a right hand and saw the spin coming. I had time to yell NOOOOOO then go to the kitchen and make a sandwich, eat it, come back to the living room and finish the OOOOO!!!! before you clocked me. That big bastard might be slow but he hits hard.

Edit - Is there a way to fullscreen the highlight preview footage? Encoding it really drops the quality and introduces some audio lag so I'd rather just capture it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Am I just out of the loop or is it crazy that this game isn't getting much hype. Maybe it's the annual iteration thing? Because as someone who ducked out of the series for a few years, it's god damn awesome on every level.

Top Bottom