• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Undisputed 3 |OT| Late to the Fight

Am I just out of the loop or is it crazy that this game isn't getting much hype. Maybe it's the annual iteration thing? Because as someone who ducked out of the series for a few years, it's god damn awesome on every level.

It's been two years since 2010 too.

Perceived lack of changes I think. In the core mechanics it's almost perfect but career still lacks things like the ability to level the basic strikes like a jab. But it's less tedious and even on Advanced I've lost 6 fights in this career.

I can't comment on the online situation this time, I need to afk way too much with a baby to dabble. It's a great game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Am I just out of the loop or is it crazy that this game isn't getting much hype. Maybe it's the annual iteration thing? Because as someone who ducked out of the series for a few years, it's god damn awesome on every level.
It's a great game. Already put in over 40 hours with friends. Also think it's a shame it doesn't get more attention

brentech

Yea, I meant to put in the OT that Yukes, THQ, and the UFC should get credit for taking a year off and giving more time for improvements after the debacle that was UFC 2010.

I traded that game in hours after getting it on release day because the career mode pissed me off so much.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wf they already ran out of Xbox 360 Overeem codes on the website... Such bs ugh

mujun

Yeah, this game is awesome. They've really improved the fighting, feels like I can win a fight anyway and finally I feel like I can take the fight anywhere without struggling with the controls too much.

The amount of options and depth is just staggering too. Ground sways and stuff... crazy level of detail.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thanks a lot! :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One more thing: When you're on bottom trying to transition, does it ever make sense to not hold R1 block as well? Never really understood exactly if there's ever a reason to not hold block really, especially in situations like that. Does holding block have any effect on the effectiveness of the transition?

Jamie OD

Despite the game being typical of Yukes where for everything they get right there is something they miss that tarnishes the experience a little bit, this has been really fun to play so far.

brentech

Finally had a chance to complete a match online.

First round was close, but I think I managed to turn things around on him and did a lot more damage with some ground and pound. The second round he really rushed me after about 30 seconds and once he had me on the bottom, I couldn't keep up with his transitions and then constant elbows from the top...so the fight got stopped, TKO.

I've really only played the game with simulation stamina...going online and playing with it off was such a difference that I was over protecting my own stamina and reading the after match stats it showed. He had some 45 transition attempts to my 16. I was always trying to wait for a the right moment when apparently you have to spam it online or the other player will just win that game.

Guess I need to play more non-simulation stamina matches to be a little more prepared for how people fight online.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I could be winning a fight at times via dominating fashion. Then some how I end up in a mount & get tko'd I'm pretty good at escapes & transition reversals. Even if your block is up this happens. I usually can catch the punch and transition out. I play with stamina meters off. Maybe this has something to do with it? I am not understanding this.
A tko in real life mma is caused by not defending yourself or guarding.
In this game you can be defending yourself & whooping that ass prior and sometimes get stopped by tko ref stoppage.

What difficulty do you all play at? I find the second one (the one after beginner, i don't know if it's advanced or experienced) the sweet spot for me, but I may move up soon.

TxdoHawk

So I picked this up. I have to say, the demo and alpha did not really sell me on this game, given that both lacked tutorials (I haven't played since the original release). It was taking my time with tutorials in a full version at Best By that ultimately won me over.

Words can not express how happy I am that the shine is mostly gone and button-mashing is completely gone. I still wish there was a better way to resolve takedown attempts, but those sequences are short...as long as I don't have to sit there wearing a hole in my palm for submissions I can't really complain.

Fundamentally, I think the problem this year is that many of the good changes are subtle, especially in the gameplay engine itself. Do nothing but whip some people in the demo and I think you can easily pass this off as "Yukes hasn't done anything since 2010!" which is a shame.

Leg kick TKO's are amusing, if a little cringe-inducing...seeing a guy buckle like that makes me squirm. You have to really wail on the leg kicks though...which seems to open you wide for shots to the head.

Also, I wish body shots from the mount did more stamina damage...if I sit there and tee off to the body while the opponent covers up their head, they don't suffer too too badly unless I sit there all day wailing away.

So I picked this up. I have to say, the demo and alpha did not really sell me on this game, given that both lacked tutorials (I haven't played since the original release). It was taking my time with tutorials in a full version at Best By that ultimately won me over.

Words can not express how happy I am that the shine is mostly gone and button-mashing is completely gone. I still wish there was a better way to resolve takedown attempts, but those sequences are short...as long as I don't have to sit there wearing a hole in my palm for submissions I can't really complain.

Fundamentally, I think the problem this year is that many of the good changes are subtle, especially in the gameplay engine itself. Do nothing but whip some people in the demo and I think you can easily pass this off as "Yukes hasn't done anything since 2010!" which is a shame.

Leg kick TKO's are amusing, if a little cringe-inducing...seeing a guy buckle like that makes me squirm. You have to really wail on the leg kicks though...which seems to open you wide for shots to the head.

Also, I wish body shots from the mount did more stamina damage...if I sit there and tee off to the body while the opponent covers up their head, they don't suffer too too badly unless I sit there all day wailing away.

Are you doing regular strikes or strong strikes? Using strong strikes to the body I finished a bunch of fights with punches or knees using Aldo in title mode/title defense mode.

Strong knees to the body are seriously deadly.

TxdoHawk

Are you doing regular strikes or strong strikes? Using strong strikes to the body I finished a bunch of fights with punches or knees using Aldo in title mode/title defense mode.

Strong knees to the body are seriously deadly.

Do you mean in the clinch and/or standing? I'm talking specifically about the mount, which is why I'm a little confused as to why I seemingly wasn't doing a ton of damage...everywhere else in the game going to the body seems to have been made much more rewarding. I need to double-check whoever I was using actually has decent GnP stats though.

Why is it when I look at Don Frye on the fighter select he's got his USA trunks on, but when I play him, he's wearing black ones?

Is it possibly a red corner/blue corner thing, maybe? I picked him to fight against in an Exhibition match last night and he definitely had the USA trunks on.

I could be winning a fight at times via dominating fashion. Then some how I end up in a mount & get tko'd I'm pretty good at escapes & transition reversals. Even if your block is up this happens.

Are you holding the transition block for stretches? According to the tutorials, if you just sit there holding the stick to block transitions, eventually your opponent will be able to get through if he keeps trying.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why is it when I look at Don Frye on the fighter select he's got his USA trunks on, but when I play him, he's wearing black ones?

Do you mean in the clinch and/or standing? I'm talking specifically about the mount, which is why I'm a little confused as to why I seemingly wasn't doing a ton of damage...everywhere else in the game going to the body seems to have been made much more rewarding. I need to double-check whoever I was using actually has decent GnP stats though.

I mean mount also. I do strong strikes while posturing up (on 360) with either left trigger or left bumper I forget which and mix it up with regular strikes to the face but if they block those just go for strong strikes to the ribs. And doing the same thing (on 360), holding either left trigger or left bumper makes your knee lift up in the air and slam into your opponents ribs in side control, which are deadly.

Orca

What does the difficulty test look for? I took it, did a three punch combo and ended with a head kick that crushed the guy.

It recommends Beginner...

Am I supposed to take the guy down and do a bunch of pointless transitions first? lol

brentech

I mean mount also. I do strong strikes while posturing up (on 360) with either left trigger or left bumper I forget which and mix it up with regular strikes to the face but if they block those just go for strong strikes to the ribs. And doing the same thing (on 360), holding either left trigger or left bumper makes your knee lift up in the air and slam into your opponents ribs in side control, which are deadly.
Yeah, from mount you can't do huge body damage, at least not with any fighter I've used yet. As for the side control knees, only some fighters can posture up and drop the heavy knees. Either way, side control knees are an awesome way to do some damage and drain your opponents stamina (I have to admit that it's a great strategy for simulation energy, but I don't think it translates really well to default energy fights - unless you've really damaged their body so you can rock them with body shots and take them out from there.)

What does the difficulty test look for? I took it, did a three punch combo and ended with a head kick that crushed the guy.

It recommends Beginner...

Am I supposed to take the guy down and do a bunch of pointless transitions first? lol
I don't totally remember the test now, but I think it needs to see some variation in order to find out if you understand the clinch, grapple, take-down game. If you kept it standing the whole time without ever getting tied up in a clinch, I'd think you would have to at least do some sways and different strike types.

brentech

Since I played over 100 matches with simulation settings, with my 3rd career fighter I had to switch to default stamina so I could better understand how ranked matches work. I've only played 2 matches online, would by able to enjoy it much more if it was simulation stamina....just makes every decision so much more important.

I am at work and can't check so this might be a dumb question. Is there a replay option or just the auto Highlight Reel thing? I want to record some fights with my capture card, but I want to do it from a replay instead of live.

Just for the hell of it I am simulating the two main fights from tonights UFC. I will upload it to YouTube if anyone is interested.

JB1981

So I have been playing the demo and trying to get better at the game. I have gotten better and I really enjoy the learning curve.

A few questions
1 - why is it so hard to block in this game? or maybe i should say, why does blocking seem so ineffective?
2 - is there any benefit to using the pro controls rather than the amateur controls? amateur just seems like a much simpler way to do minor/major transitions.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I have been playing the demo and trying to get better at the game. I have gotten better and I really enjoy the learning curve.

A few questions
1 - why is it so hard to block in this game? or maybe i should say, why does blocking seem so ineffective?
2 - is there any benefit to using the pro controls rather than the amateur controls? amateur just seems like a much simpler way to do minor/major transitions.

I thought amateur controls didn't let you do major, just minor transitions?

IMACOMPUTA

I was really beginning to like this game..
and then i played online.

Like most of you, I had been playing with sim stamina (makes the game SOOOOO much better) so it's possible that had a lot to do with it..

But i just hate the submission system, and the takedown system. I can be beating the shit out of a guy and he just keeps pulling subs and the repetition combined with the slight lag during the submission mini-game makes it really hard to not get subbed.

That and its like no matter what i do i cant stop a guy when he shoots for a take down. I hold back on the right stick, i spin it around.. no matter, im going down.

sigh

brentech

Still have only played online like 5 times, but I still play career and title modes regularly. The game itself is really good and enjoyable.

If the online worked as its supposed to, it'd be absolutely wonderful and probably a greatly under appreciated game; it is already, as it is it.

brentech

The game really needs to let you pick the create a fighters music and go up and down weights in career mode.
You can do both of those things. You can choose separate music for UFC and PRIDE matches.

Now, you can't change weight classes on your own time line, but you'll be given the option to take fights in other weight classes frequently, and when on certain streaks, you'll be given the option to fully change weight classes to the class above/below your starting point.

brentech

Same, the online they "fixed" this year is more of a waste of time, as only like 20% of fights actually come to completion.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just picked this game up. Anybody buy DLC/would anybody recommend it? I want Rory MacDonald but no idea if that pack is worth it.

brentech

Popped this in after some long time off still love the game play, so upset that the online was/is total shit.
Could have been great.

rvy

Banned
A friend let me borrow this for PS3, game is pretty awesome. Love the PRIDE stuff, unfortunate that there's so many missing people. Career is kinda daunting, so much stuff to unlock and leveling up is tiresome. I also don't get why fighters don't have different stats between UFC and PRIDE. Anderson Silva is 91 in PRIDE since when?

Having fun. It's a shame that EA got their evil hands on the license. I hate EA Sports MMA, would have never bought that trash if it weren't for Fedor.

lol @ Nick Diaz as DLC. Why would anyone buy that. Overeem is overpowered, btw.

brentech

A friend let me borrow this for PS3, game is pretty awesome. Love the PRIDE stuff, unfortunate that there's so many missing people. Career is kinda daunting, so much stuff to unlock and leveling up is tiresome. I also don't get why fighters don't have different stats between UFC and PRIDE. Anderson Silva is 91 in PRIDE since when?

Having fun. It's a shame that EA got their evil hands on the license. I hate EA Sports MMA, would have never bought that trash if ti weren't for Fedor.

lol @ Nick Diaz as DLC. Why would anyone buy that. Overeem is overpowered, btw.

The game was fine, but THQ couldn't get the servers working for the life of them. That was basically their downfall with this game, was pretty embarrassing since they stated they rebuilt the net code. Otherwise it's absolutely wonderful game play.

rvy

Banned
The game was fine, but THQ couldn't get the servers working for the life of them. That was basically their downfall with this game, was pretty embarrassing since they stated they rebuilt the net code. Otherwise it's absolutely wonderful game play.

You weren't kidding, lol. Played 7 fights Online (PS3), what a gigantic piece of shit this is. I'm just here for the Trophies. Kinda pathetic that I can't win a single fight, but whatever. Not my fault.

rvy

Banned
People spam the same moves over and over again to drop your stamina. It's ridiculous. Everybody always finds some dumbass way to take advantage of the game.
And their all GSP on top of that. Fuck this, I'm gonna stop playing before I punch a whole through my desk again. This is ridiculous.

brentech

Yep. They just spam spinning backkick/fists most the fight because it has good range, and the mechanics are wonky even if you close the range, it will push you back.
Those are the people I just stayed away from and took down to see if they had any skill on the ground. Either way, it's retarded. Shame, the game had such wonderful potential

Top Bottom