• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirlond

Buckfast Paul, really? Did your get your cousin to buy a bottle to share with your mates down the park?? I mean come ooooooooooon

o gosh you must really listen to lots of cool indie bands that noone has ever heard of can i sleep with you?

oh god that sounded really crap of me

Lemme explain: if you listen to music AT ALL, you'll recognise everything on my ipod. Seriously. But I have a tendency to make friends with people who don't give a shit about music, so yeah.

Actually, I have a terrible lack of shared interests with my friends. Hmmmm. :/

So has anyone ever been to Glade Festival in Norfolk?

Looks pretty good, and I was thinking of going, but I wondered if anyone has gone in the past and what kind of experience you had?

Fur_Q

chinner got a new avatar? this scares me. it's how i recognised his posts.

No Suairyu and chinner have swapped methinks. Probably something to do with Suairyu losing a bet that deckard was a replicant because chinner sneaked into Ridley Scotts fuck palace and stole the original screenplay and proved Suairyu wrong so 1 month debt has to be repaid for chinners valor in this manner. God bless you son.

mclem

In a dangerous attempt to actually put a semi-serious topic here: I've had a call for jury service, in April. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? It's all rather new for me and exciting and terrifying in equal measure (Yay, I get to live Twelve Angry Men! Eek, I have responsibility over someone else's life!)

MLH

In a dangerous attempt to actually put a semi-serious topic here: I've had a call for jury service, in April. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? It's all rather new for me and exciting and terrifying in equal measure (Yay, I get to live Twelve Angry Men! Eek, I have responsibility over someone else's life!)

Call in sick then go to the theatre with your mum.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Buckfast Paul, really? Did your get your cousin to buy a bottle to share with your mates down the park?? I mean come ooooooooooon

come on man the kids also buy beers/cider/vodka for down the park!

its like 7 quid to lol

but i have finished many a bottle of buckfast in parks back in my younger day.

its taste also brings back lots of good times i've had on the stuff so it sets the mood perfect.

The foundation to any good night.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ohh yes I was on the Buckfast last weekend, only problem is we'll have a bottle and then head out into Newcastle and top it off with vodka, always a rough night.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Nothing bores me more than people talking about music.

I've developed this recently. I used to like talking about new music, styles, etc, but it just bores me to death now.

A few months ago my friend kept talking to me about good new albums and songs and stuff, and my reaction was something like this: http://youtu.be/dEZVZ-2k6Po?t=8s

Speaking of which, I don't really hunt down any new music anymore. I used to discover 2-3 new bands a year I'd really like. The only new bands I've really discovered since 2009 have been Rotersand and Pendulum.

Suairyu

Banned
Why did this become the 'everyone hate on perfectly decent people' thread
When we see one we'll let you know.

No Suairyu and chinner have swapped methinks. Probably something to do with Suairyu losing a bet that deckard was a replicant because chinner sneaked into Ridley Scotts fuck palace and stole the original screenplay and proved Suairyu wrong so 1 month debt has to be repaid for chinners valor in this manner. God bless you son.
You. Me. Outside.

Now.

daviyoung

Banned
None of my closest friends listen to the same music but occasionally our paths cross and that moment is more magical than playing a game of band top trumps with other hipsters.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

It's a fascinating experience, sort of like you've been given licence to nose into other peoples' business. But do take a good book or three with you. Or some knitting. There's usually a huge amount of waiting around involved.

If you get a long trial, take notes during it (yes, you're allowed to - and it helps you to not forget things).

Oh, and read this book first. It's the best possible insight into what it is like.

41KGG86WQEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've done Jury service twice, and both times were similar experiences. There was a lot of waiting around doing nothing. It was great having legitimate time off work, but it was very boring. The actual cases were minor and not very exciting, but it was interesting seeing how the whole thing worked.

Don't take the whole responsibility thing get to you too much, try and detach yourself emotionally from it. It's not scary, they walk you through the whole thing, and you have the other jurors there to talk to.

So did anyone else go to London Super Comic Con on the weekend? I thought it was pretty good for a first go, it was nice going to a convention over here that was just about comics. There were some great guests, I got a lot of stuff signed, bought a load more stuff, and I won an original sketch by Simon Bisley in a raffle! Good times.

Lirlond

Jury duty is just sitting around listening to a court case, getting a free lunch and them sitting around arguing for a few hours at the end of the case.

SmokyDave

Do not say: "I hope it's a black guy because then we'll be done by lunch".

It goes down as well as "I am job, yes?" at customs checkpoints.

Suairyu

Banned
Do not say: "I hope it's a black guy because then we'll be done by lunch".

It goes down as well as "I am job, yes?" at customs checkpoints.
However, saying you have racial bias is actually the fastest way to get yourself excused from jury duty if you don't fancy it!

Salazar

My jury service was for a lad who had run over his neighbour twice with his motorcycle.

The defence objected to me and I was sent home, and was not recalled. Slightly disappointing.

Salazar

What were their grounds for objection? Or did they just think you were aesthetically lacking?

No idea. I just walked up and a rather smart-looking lady (short hair, flash suit) glanced up at me and murmured to a clerk.

And that was it.

I was pretty snappily dressed, for a bearded student.

mclem

Mental note: Shave.

Thanks for all the tips. Might well track down that book, Phisheep. I don't intend to try and weasel out of it, I'm actually extremely curious about the whole process!

Kentpaul

T.G.I. Friday's folks? Is it better than a town CHIPPIE.

I'm HUNGRY. i need a mean burger today

SteveWD40

Mental note: Shave.

Thanks for all the tips. Might well track down that book, Phisheep. I don't intend to try and weasel out of it, I'm actually extremely curious about the whole process!

Courts can be depressing places to sit around doing nothing all day, plus I don't think you are allowed to use the net and the like depending on the case (wasn't an issue when I did it as it was 2002 and mobile net / smartphones were a pipe dream).

Plus side is legit time off work and free hotel and food, maybe meet some cool people. Just hope it's not a fraud case, the trial I was pegged for was supposed to last 10 weeks (they pleaded on day 3 thankfully).

Kentpaul

being in the jury is all fun and games till your dragged into the back of a van and never seen again.

I've never seen a jury because all the times i have been in court was for petty bullshit. You had to stay for a while and listen to other people get fined/court dates pushed back.

Its pretty interesting..

leadbelly

Banned
being in the jury is all fun and games till your dragged into the back of a van and never seen again.

I've never seen a jury because all the times i have been in court was for petty bullshit. You had to stay for a while and listen to other people get fined/court dates pushed back.

Its pretty interesting..

Edit: the video is complete shit. :/.

This video is amazing and also surreal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhsRjsw4Yc

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Speaking of which, have you ever seen a 'freeman' fuck over the court? It's hilarious and interesting. They just completely take control of the courts. By court I am talking about a 'court de facto'. It has no real power unless you give it power by standing up. When the Judge says, "all rise" basically he is trying to get permission from people within the court to give it power. If you don't rise it has no power and common law takes over.

This video is amazing and also surreal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhsRjsw4Yc

Well, the supposed legal basis behind this is crap. There's no such thing as a 'court de facto', the court derives its power from the Law and the Crown and (in the UK at least) this has nothing whatsoever to do with the will or consent of the people. And standing up has no legal effect, neither does not standing up.

And the common law doesn't supersede statute law, it is the other way round.

I wouldn't suggest anyone try this. Not unless they want to get banged up for contempt. Besides, it is exceedingly impolite and buggers up the rest of the court's business.

Bo-Locks

I've got jury duty in June. I've already deferred once but if something comes up then I may not be able to attend. I may not even be in the country and since you can only defer once, I hope that it's a short trial. As I said in the other thread, I'm going to walk in with a copy of the Daily Mail in hand and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom