• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Weekly Charts - How far did Halo 2 fall?

... not that far. I just wanted some action in the thread :D

WEEK 49 YEAR 2004
ENDING 4TH DECEMBER

Code:
WEEK 49 YEAR 2004
ENDING 4TH DECEMBER

LW     TW     TITLE                                        LABEL
      1      1    NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND 2                EA GAMES
      2      2    GRAND THEFT AUTO: SAN ANDREAS                ROCKSTAR
      3      3    FIFA 2005                                    EA SPORTS
      7      4    THE INCREDIBLES                              DISNEY INTERACTIVE
             5    CALL OF DUTY: FINEST HOUR                    ACTIVISION
      4      6    PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 4                       KONAMI
     11      7    GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT                       EA GAMES
      5      8    HALO 2                                       MICROSOFT
      6      9    WWE SMACKDOWN! VS RAW                        THQ
      8     10    THE GETAWAY: BLACK MONDAY                    SONY COMPUTER ENT.
     10     11    THE URBZ: SIMS IN THE CITY                   EA GAMES
     14     12    THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN                      PLATINUM
            13    PRINCE OF PERSIA: WARRIOR WITHIN             UBISOFT
     21     14    SEGA SUPERSTARS                              SEGA
     12     15    KILLZONE                                     SONY COMPUTER ENT.
     13     16    TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND 2                    ACTIVISION
     15     17    SONIC HEROES                                 PLATINUM
     16     18    THE SIMS 2                                   EA GAMES
      9     19    HALF-LIFE 2                                  SIERRA
     19     20    LORD OF THE RINGS - THE THIRD AGE            EA GAMES
     18     21    SHARK TALE                                   ACTIVISION
     17     22    FOOTBALL MANAGER 2005                        SEGA
     22     23    EYE TOY: PLAY 2                              SONY COMPUTER ENT.
     35     24    SPYRO: A HERO'S TAIL                         SIERRA
     23     25    TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 2005                    EA SPORTS
     20     26    SINGSTAR PARTY                               SONY COMPUTER ENT.
     34     27    TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON 2                   RED STORM
     24     28    HARRY POTTER - PRISONER OF AZKABAN           PLATINUM
     26     29    FINDING NEMO                                 DISNEY INTERACTIVE
     25     30    RATCHET AND CLANK 3                          SONY COMPUTER ENT.
            31    DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI 3                     BANDAI
     38     32    BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN                          EA GAMES
     30     33    SCOOBY-DOO & THE CYBER CHASE                 THQ
     31     34    STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT                       LUCASARTS
            35    SPIDER-MAN 2                                 ACTIVISION
     32     36    SHREK 2                                      ACTIVISION
     37     37    JAK 3                                        SONY COMPUTER ENT.
     28     38    POKEMON FIRE RED                             NINTENDO
            39    NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND                  PLATINUM
            40    CRASH NITRO KART                             PLATINUM

Deg

Banned
Biggest XBox game out of top ten already... Says alot about Xbox and GC here. Xbox gets alot of visibility but still small sales. NFSU 2 is doing very well as i expected. Its between GTA and this for no.1

DSN2K said:
Sonic hero's still top 20 :lol

but then its always been Sega > Nintendo in Europe.

I think you forget the DC easily. Sonic is being promoted alot lately with cartoons and McDonalds doing toys etc. No surprise reallySimpsons doing well.

bigNman said:
Oh god I was hoping for Metroid to climb the charts lol - its fallen right off :(

Its amazing it even made it in the charts. It had less preorders than Paper Mario 2 :lol MP2 probbaly did fine against MP1. I'd say it will do over half way easy this year.

It's almost disappointing, because Metroid Prime 2 is by far and away better than most of the games on that chart. It's blindingly good stuff. I say "almost" because as long as I can play it, I don't give a toss what the rest of this worthless isle plays.

DSN2K said:

I don't know how Chart Track collate or what they take into account, but Sonic Heroes is usually used in bundles.. in quite a lot of stores anyway. The likes of Virgin Megastores, HMV, GAME, GamesDomain etc.

jedimike

Deg said:
Biggest XBox game out of top ten already... Says alot about Xbox and GC here. Xbox gets alot of visibility but still small sales. NFSU 2 is doing very well as i expected. Its between GTA and this for no.1

Quick revise your post before someone quotes you and you look like an idiot.... oh, sorry.

Vashu

Seriously, what is it with those trite games like CoD and GoldenEye doing well over there? I mean, I played all sorts of FPS, but those are the worst released at the moment. :lol

Gibbles

DSN2K said:

Rather Sonic > Nintendo, but then again I guess we're a bit behind.

And again, the Brits demonstrate their boundless love for EA/random crappy games/random crap. Sadness.

Deg said:

spin it boy. The chart has NO numbers. For all you know. It could be 20 units. Xbox is doing well. Halo 2 is doing well. OMG WTF BBQ. Nintendoomed (in the UK).

:lol

Deg

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
It's almost disappointing, because Metroid Prime 2 is by far and away better than most of the games on that chart. It's blindingly good stuff. I say "almost" because as long as I can play it, I don't give a toss what the rest of this worthless isle plays.

I don't know how Chart Track collate or what they take into account, but Sonic Heroes is usually used in bundles.. in quite a lot of stores anyway. The likes of Virgin Megastores, HMV, GAME, GamesDomain etc.

Yes it is indeed bundled with every console sold in the UK. Go look on websites infact :lol Probably with GBA and N-Gage too :p

jedimike said:
Quick revise your post before someone quotes you and you look like an idiot.... oh, sorry.

My predictions turned out right. Although i cant narrow it down to GTA or NFSU2. NFSU2 is a great game however. EA deserve their success on that :) It was a gap left too long unplugged and a quality game.

Vashu said:
Seriously, what is it with those trite games like CoD and GoldenEye doing well over there? I mean, I played all sorts of FPS, but those are the worst released at the moment. :lol

Both games already discounted.

TheGreenGiant said:
spin it boy. The chart has NO numbers. For all you know. It could be 20 units. Xbox is doing well. Halo 2 is doing well. OMG WTF BBQ. Nintendoomed (in the UK).

:lol

We've seen the numbers countless times already. There's even an excel chart doing the rounds. Not for this however.

jedimike

DSN2K said:

The real suprise in the UK has been...

14 12 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN PLATINUM

That game hasn't left the charts since it was released... don't know exactly when it was released but well over a year.

edit: FYI deg... Halo 2 is #8.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Because its the best simpsons game ever.

And the unlockable for getting 100% is the greatest thing ever.

And now they're making Scarface :'(

g2tsamusamcry.jpg

XS+

Banned
It's good to see Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is still up there. That game will be this gen's highest selling title, most likely.

It's clear now that the residents of Great-Brittania have no taste when it comes to games.....

I'd say it's the other way around.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
MP2, and the Gamecube in general, is starting to feel the hit of "reduced shelf space" over here.

All my local game-supplying shops have reduced the size of their gamecube exposure, in relation to the PS2 & Xbox. (GAME, Gamestation, Virgin Megastore & HMV)

Rough & unscientific estimates (%'s are floor/shelf space):

Xbox: 30%
PS2: 30%
PC: 15%
GC: 15%
Other: 5%

Freeburn said:
MP2, and the Gamecube in general, is starting to feel the hit of "reduced shelf space" over here.

All my local game-supplying shops have reduced the size of their gamecube exposure, in relation to the PS2 & Xbox. (GAME, Gamestation, Virgin Megastore & HMV)

I'd put it more like

PC: 20%
PS2: 40%
Xbox: 20%
GC: 10%
Other: 10%

Deg

Banned
Freeburn said:

You got it wrong. Its PS2> PC > Xbox > GC > GBA.

MS are also putting pressure on Nintendo. They pay quite heavily for space here and they are more aggressive than Sony on the store space. Their reps are regular unlike Sony. Nintendo's are non existant.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
I'd put it more like

PC: 20%
PS2: 40%
Xbox: 20%
GC: 10%
Other: 10%

Looks like you're lucky in that shops haven't started to reduce the PC shelf-space yet :p

Last time they had a shift around at my local GAME they decimated the PC selection, and instead of reducing back on the shovelware shite the PC seems to breed they just reduced the shelfspace and still kept the shovelware rubbish, and other stores seemed to follow their lead, making it hard to find anything outside the Top 10 for the PC locally. (Ironically pushing me into online shopping, way to go retail! :p)

Deg said:
You got it wrong. Its PS2> PC > Xbox > GC > GBA.

Not here it isn't (E. Midlands), it's a fairly even split between PS2 & Xbox space, see above for what happened with the PC selection.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
buy the game and find out.

If only metal arms had a kick-ass unlockable i could use to make people buy that...i guess it kinda does, nothing compared to the hilarity of the Simpsons H&R one though.

shuri

Banned
Ghost said:
buy the game and find out.

Collect all 49 collector cards to unlock the Itchy and Scratchy cartoon '100
Yard Gash'. Once you have all the cards, visit the Android's Dungeon in level 3
(Lisa).

The interface menu will change accordingly on themed public holidays, providing
the clock on your console is set correctly.

Once the game is 100% complete, a gold Krusty sticker will appear on the cover
of the scrapbook (on top of the tv in the interface menu).

How worthless.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Naked Shuriken said:
How worthless.

Best itchy and scratchy ever, 10x better than any in the actual simpsons cartoons.

btw, what the hell are you doing spoiling the game for everyone who isnt as impatient as yourself.

DarienA said:
Halo 2 = Euro X-Bomb.....

.....or does it? ;)

It all depends on expectations. #8 is not a very big number for weekly sales. For many games, that's a fine number, but for Halo 2, I'd have to say that it will disappoint many.

Suerte

jedimike said:
The real suprise in the UK has been...

14 12 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN PLATINUM

That game hasn't left the charts since it was released... don't know exactly when it was released but well over a year.

edit: FYI deg... Halo 2 is #8.

They've started advertising The Simpsons: Hit & Run on UK tv again as well.

Oh yeah, we need Ghost's old avatar with Homer holding copies of Medal of Honor or whatever they were :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if i'm not mistaken, ten-pin bowling has never been too popular in england. they don't have the requisite cultural background for metroid prime and its exciting "bowl your enemies over" mechanic.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Suerte said:
They've started advertising The Simpsons: Hit & Run on UK tv again as well.

Oh yeah, we need Ghost's old avatar with Homer holding copies of Medal of Honor or whatever they were :lol

You called...

HOMERUK2.jpg
HOMERUK.jpg
HOMERUK3.jpg

wish i still had the big version :-/

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Code:
 8    HALO 2                                       MICROSOFT
15    KILLZONE                                     SONY COMPUTER ENT.
What happened to Killzone wiping the floor with Halo 2 and the huge drop-off?

And Metroid Prime 2 has been advertised. I see the ad quite alot - the woman walking down the alley with the suit being drawn to her. It's a shit ad, though. And the game simply doesn't have the appeal of a Halo or a Grand Theft Auto does (which are both aided by good commercials). Same applies to the majority of Nintendo games and Gamecube games...

Has Sega Superstars been discounted/bundled. I've noticed the Game on Buchanan Street in Glasgow have put loads of them on the front shelf so there's just a block of orange as you walk in?

I can't remember the last time Sega had 3 games in the top 30.

Btw, in the same Game the GC has been demoted from even having any proper floor to ceiling shelfs. It just has a crappy free standing shelf that are usually used for thrid party peripherals and guides. Nintendo fucked up big here. Especially when you think back to those cloudy days of Spring/Summer 2002 and the GC got off to a great start while the Xbox launch did not go well at all.

Top Bottom