• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexerto's top 100 games of all time

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I agree with this list if only because The Last of Us: Part 2 lands below WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, and everything else listed which I can totally agree on.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

66. Nier: Automata (2017)
50. Chrono Trigger (1995)

39. Overwatch (2016)
Bullshit Bs GIF by Breaking Bad

The list is mostly fine. Wtf is Assassin's Creed Odyssey doing on there though lol

Last edited:
I bet these guys weren't even alive when it came out.
Some would say we’re biased. I’d say we have the correct fucking opinion. You had to be there. Everyone who was young when Mario 64 and OOT came out understands we have been chasing that high for decades. Only to get pieces of it here and there. I have played the greats of the modern generation and loved them, still not even close. You’ll get crumbs of it here and there, Witcher 3, VR half life, they come close but the novelty and newness only goes so far, OOT and Mario 64 are just better

They are ignorant of the truth, we are akin to WW2 vets, the greatest generation. Our knowledge is deep like Gandalf. I don’t blame them, they can’t possibly understand.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Reads like a list taken from MC ratings for safety rather than actual preferences discussed and ranked. Surely, OG DOOM always makes the cut - even if just to acknowledge the sheer impact it's had.

CashPrizes

Castlevania SOTN + Chrono Trigger being that low is criminal.

Definitely a recency bias. To fix list, Yeet these 11 newer games off:
Borderlands 2
Doom Eternal (Doom 2016 is better, put higher on list)
Fortnite
Sims 3
Animal Crossing 2020 (like the worst Animal Crossing?)
Sea of Thieves
Celeste
Firewatch
Kingdom Hearts 2 (objectively bad story and series)
Apex Legends
Mortal Kombat 11

Replace with these 11 Stone Cold classics:
Final Fantasy VI
Super Metroid
Starcraft
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Baldur's Gate 2
Streets of Rage 2
Diablo II
Mega Man 2
Metal Gear Solid
Contra
Tie-Fighter CD

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
They havent played half those game and just generated a mix of generic titles that every publication does. Stop giving these numbskulls the attention.

Regginator

Do people actually like playing RDR2? I get the appeal for its detailed world, memorable characters, and a half-decent story, but actually playing it? I dislike calling games overrated or whatever, but if there's one "game" that would fit that description, it's RDR2. Absolutely garbage-tier gameplay loop and mission progression.

Forced myself to go through all of it (minus the compendium because ain't nobody got time for that), and it's definitely one of those one-and-done experiences that I suppose was okay (aside from aforementioned gameplay loop), but something I'd never revisit again.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Do people actually like playing RDR2? I get the appeal for its detailed world, memorable characters, and a half-decent story, but actually playing it? I dislike calling games overrated or whatever, but if there's one "game" that would fit that description, it's RDR2. Absolutely garbage-tier gameplay loop and mission progression.

Forced myself to go through all of it (minus the compendium because ain't nobody got time for that), and it's definitely one of those one-and-done experiences that I suppose was okay (aside from aforementioned gameplay loop), but something I'd never revisit again.
I personally found RDR2 highly immersive and would happily pay for a next gen update and new game plus.

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Awesome, man. If you're into Westerns, I definitely recommend watching Deadwood or the Dollars trilogy. They have about the same amount of fun gameplay as RDR2
I recently played the PS4 remaster of RDR1 and Undead Nightmare on the PS5 for the first time and loved that as well.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Portal 2 has to be the most overrated game that shows up on top 100 lists. That and persona 5 on this one.

This list was made by a retard.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Castlevania SOTN + Chrono Trigger being that low is criminal.

Definitely a recency bias. To fix list, Yeet these 11 newer games off:
Borderlands 2
Doom Eternal (Doom 2016 is better, put higher on list)
Fortnite
Sims 3
Animal Crossing 2020 (like the worst Animal Crossing?)
Sea of Thieves
Celeste
Firewatch
Kingdom Hearts 2 (objectively bad story and series)
Apex Legends
Mortal Kombat 11

Replace with these 11 Stone Cold classics:
Final Fantasy VI
Super Metroid
Starcraft
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Baldur's Gate 2
Streets of Rage 2
Diablo II
Mega Man 2
Metal Gear Solid
Contra
Tie-Fighter CD
Wait they put firewatch on there. I liked firewatch but not in a top 100 list. All those games except tie fighter I would agree with (haven't played tie fighter)

Aion002

Gold Member
The lack of Starcraft, Total Annihilation, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ninja Gaiden Black and Suikoden...

Mad 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never even played the game, but going by reviews and watching video clips and bad ass boss fights, God of War 3 has got to crack top 100 in every game site's list.

deeptech

Save yourselves from disappointment and being upset by realizing that nobody can give you an objective description of quality of art. It's all up to you, have your own top 100, compare but don't take it seriously.

Shubh_C63

Ok, If you pick any game in this list you have to have a good time even in 2024. That's what a top game of all time means in 2024.

I am not sure people would like playing the original Starcraft or even Warcraft 3 today. Even though no surprise I love those games and how culturally impactful they were.

Top Bottom