• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC Student Athlete writes daft 10-sentence final paper, gets an A- (Paper Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I wonder if this would change if the seasons were during the summer.

Probably not (and ratings are lower then, I'd imagine).

Canon

Banned
This is ripped straight out of the King of the Hill episode where Hank must keep Peggy from failing the star athlete and Hank is forced to give an A to a terrible propane essay.

MechaX

As sad as it is, colleges doing stuff like this doesn't surprise me.

This anecdote is quite more extreme, but my undergrad even covered up a (alleged, but...) rape scandal because the suspect was a top sports player in the college. Passing on folks in the curriculum is something that even happens in high schools, and it's definitely a problem.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
How did he make it through the schooling system?

Schools were using him for his athletic ability? Sports is all that matters to a lot of people and they were making money off he and his teammates. It's fucked all around.

senahorse

Pretty sad stuff, government puts in measures to ensure these people graduate with an education, you know, something to fall back on when they don't make it in professional sport (which I assume most don't). The school fudges result, basically fucking them over when they get dropped from the team.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not even mad, this is just sad. They're being cheated out of even a basic level of education.

Lamel

Banned
Some schools try I suppose; i.e. I know a school where student athletes have to sit in the front row of all classes and have free tutoring available etc.

But still, it's pretty bad. Man.

Ataraxia

The truth is most Division 1 athletes on scholarship wouldn't be able to get into their institution on academic merits alone. UNC is ranked #30 nationwide and accepts less than 30% of its applicants. I'm not sure why so many people are shocked to discover the standards are a bit more "lax" for its scholarship athletes.

I hate to say it, but no wonder so many athletes have records.

Is it wrong that I'm laughing that the guy clearly doesn't understand racism and made up a conversation between Rosa Parks and authorities?

Heroman

Banned
Pretty sad stuff, government puts in measures to ensure these people graduate with an education, you know, something to fall back on when they don't make it in professional sport (which I assume most don't). The school fudges result, basically fucking them over when they get dropped from the team.
This stuff only happens to the star players or starters.

watershed

Banned
I find this amazing and hilarious.

I worked as an athletics department tutor in college for a few months while I was a senior. I'm glad to say none of my students ever did work this poor. They all had to write their own papers and every one of them were at least okay.

terrisus

I'm not even mad, this is just sad. They're being cheated out of even a basic level of education.

Is it really a university's responsibility to give that basic level of education to someone with a 3rd-grade reading level?

Which is an indictment of the Public school system as it is this university.

Exactly. The problems started way before then, this is just another step on the problem list.

This is why I think it is hilarious when people simply blame the NCAA as if they're some unaffiliated entity. Schools are the ones ultimately pulling stuff like this. NCAA certainly has its issues, but the organization is run by the schools. BCS/College Football Playoff, TV networks and schools are the main culprits for this mindset. Brought on by people's enjoyment of the sports. Remember NCAA has much less influence at the higher levels of college football. Of course they have the basketball side, though, along with the other Olympic sports.

I think that paper is copied word for word from a Rosa Parks autobiography , saw this very topic on another forum

I wonder what kind of papers Derrick Rose turned in

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really a university's responsibility to give that basic level of education to someone with a 3rd-grade reading level?

Exactly. The problems started way before then, this is just another step on the problem list.

Either way they're a university, education should be their priority. Even if they do let these guys in they should strive to improve their education, even if it is only basic things like reading and writing at an adult level.

terrisus

Either way they're a university, education should be their priority. Even if they do let these guys in they should strive to improve their education, even if it is only basic things like reading and writing at an adult level.

That's rather unrealistic to expect a university to create entire courses for the purpose of providing an Elementary-level education.
There are adult education centers and such which deal with that sort of thing.

Of course, they made fake classes, but, providing an actual Elementary-level education to college-age people would involve significantly more time and resources than tossing an A- onto a paper like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think the unionization of college athletes is going to be hilarious.

We're going to see every dirty trick in the book by the NCAA.

"Oh, I'm sorry--you thought you were getting easy classes? Good luck with that!" They're going to ratchet up the difficulty on everyone.

I have only a minor understanding of this stuff, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that the large majority of college/uni football players do not go on to be in the NFL? And they do not get paid (or are even allowed to be paid) for playing? So these guys are recruited and coasted through the system, and then totally thrown away by the school. The school knows they have not given them a real education. They know they won't be going pro. They did this solely for the school to make gobs of money?

Or do ex college football players often go on to successful and lucrative careers in non-football related fields?

Makonero

I took an upper level English class with a student athlete once. A friend and I were partnered with him, so we had to read Moll Flanders, write an essay, and then edit each other's papers. I swear, I've never read a longer, more incoherent run on sentence than the three pages of drivel he managed to write.

Thankfully, he was kicked out for comments he made on Facebook before my friend and I had to show him his red-inked paper the next week. Because a severe lack of education is less of a concern than what you say on Facebook.

University of Oregon, btw.

The thing is, the situation is probably more dire than we can imagine. This could happen at a lot of schools. The other thing is, when do these athletes actually have time to study?

Mesousa

Banned
Figures. Colleges really don't care long as the kid can run with the ball. UGA, the big dog in this god forsaken state, is full of student athletes much the same. In fact, I knew a kid there who couldn't even fucking read. Seriously, he had to transfer to a private school because he couldn't read the words on the georgia high school graduation test. Modern day slavery. These kids won't be able to do shit if they don't go pro, and if they do go pro they are too uneducated not to be owned.

Americans schools are basiscally businesses. These athletes produce a shit load of money for them.
Well universities are usually like small cities. There are tons of moving parts and of course lots of money. As an example, my little old university, UCF has an operating budget of like $1.2 billion. Athletics is like $40-$50 million. So education projects, research, buildings, etc. clearly have the bulk of the attention at schools.

Sapiens

You know, my first aborted year at Uni, I probably handed in, like, about 10% of the required assignments. And the ones I did? They probably weren't that far off from what I see here.

What I'm saying is, at least this guy is good at something!

shira

Fullscreen-capture-5262011-74037-AM.jpg

Student ath-u-leets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom