• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC Student Athlete writes daft 10-sentence final paper, gets an A- (Paper Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr K

Banned
They are not getting payed.

They basically are. Most of them are on sports scholarships, which cover most of their expenses. And, as you can clearly see, they're also getting a free-of-effort degree.

That seems like a nice payment to me.

Mesousa

Banned
They basically are. Most of them are on sports scholarships, which cover most of their expenses. And, as you can clearly see, they're also getting a free-of-effort degree.

Degree isn't worth a damn. Especially a degree they are getting with these easy BS classes.

Heroman

Banned

But then you have play football to keep the scholarship, which is very hard.

BeerSnob

Uh huh it's a student athlete, what do you expect? I'm genuinely surprised it isn't copied directly from wikipedia and covered in semen and beer.

Demon Ice

Banned
You know how sometimes on Reddit a parent / teacher sees something super adorable that a 2nd grader wrote and posts it, complete with adorable typos and grammatical errors?

That's what that paper in the OP reads like.

Mr. Patch

Or, they could let them profit off of their skills like every other student can do.

Twio

Rosa Park's what?

What I learned in boating school is...

tumblr_moefkhnsMg1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

Herr K

Banned
Or, they could let them profit off of their skills like every other student can do.

Thing is, I don't know if they could really classify as students. Sure, they're enrolled and everything, but seeing articles like this one really makes you think they're not studying at all, and it seems like the institutions know about this.

Does this kind of stuff happen at the big schools—Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc?

And is this a US-centric issue?
I think the first two do not offer athletic scholarships. Or at least nothing in excess what most students can get. Plus athletes have to meet the regular admissions requirements. A lot of schools bend admissions requirements when athletes come through. A lot keep it strict, though.

Stanford has athletic scholarships, especially for football but of course they are an elite institution.

1997 Final Four

Minnesota Golden Gophers say Hi.

This stuff won't end until there is a player's union and the whole guise of academics as a requirement goes on the bargaining table.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Does this kind of stuff happen at the big schools—Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc?

And is this a US-centric issue?

It has to do with professional leagues having age limits to signing athletes, and pro teams using school athletics as minor leagues.

So it's a different situation than in Europe, where you can sign a 14 year old to a professional contract in a lower league.

Mesousa

Banned
The paper still means something. Even if they don't learn shit.

You have to do something to get a payment, right?

As a college grad making 9.25 an hour sir I can assure you the paper isn't worth a damn thing unless you learn shit that is applicable to the labor market.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
NY Daily News is shit.

"Jipped"? They can't even spell their ethnic slurs properly.

VariantX

That's just pathetic. A short reading response takes more work than that. Hell, elementary school book reports required more work.

He's clearly saying "big" meaning "by rank and stature" rather than "by number of undergraduates"; US news rankings for the three he mentioned are 2, 5, and 7, while UNC is 30th.
UNC is regarded as a really good school, though. Remember there are well over 4,000 post secondary schools in the US. A top 30 school in the US? You're among the best in the world.

lednerg

Rosa Park's what?

Rosa Park's was on a bus one day and the bus driver and her had a conversation. The conversation went like this "You need to give up the front seats because that is for white people." She did not give up hers seat and then the cops came and then they arrested her.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Do you even know how much the NCAA makes? It's disgusting the amount they make off of players

He's clearly saying "big" meaning "by rank and stature" rather than "by number of undergraduates"; US news rankings for the three he mentioned are 2, 5, and 7, while UNC is 30th.

Me too, UNC is well respected. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors at Stanford but Stanford.

I have a cousin who used to tutor the basketball team at the University of Washington.

He sad it was pretty bad how easy they had it when it came to academics.His words were "It's not as bad as some of the big basketball schools, but it was still pretty ridiculous."

Do you even know how much the NCAA makes? It's disgusting the amount they make off of players
NCAA makes their money from the basketball tournament. They really don't see a dime from football. That falls on the sports conferences (BCS/Football Playoff) and ESPN/Disney.

NCAA doesn't even crown a division 1 football champion. That's how little involvement they have there with the larger schools people mostly criticize.

numble

There is no chance of this happening at the schools you mentioned as they are academic focused even with student athletes.
Stanford offers athletic scholarships. The Collins twins and Josh Childress went to Stanford for instance.

I went to a school that the US News ranked in the top 3 nationally, that did not offer athletic scholarships, but coaches still send lists of preferences to admissions, and of course legacies get preferential treatment for admissions (the admission application asks if your parents went to the school, alumni can send recommendation letters, arrange interviews, appeals, etc.)

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
NCAA makes their money from the basketball tournament. They really don't see a dime from football. That falls on the sports conferences (BCS/Football Playoff) and ESPN/Disney.

NCAA doesn't even crown a division 1 football champion. That's how little involvement they have there with the larger schools people mostly criticize.

Ok so the NCAA doesn't make huge money off of football, what about the conferences? Or individual schools? How much is the SEC network bringing in? Or the fucking Longhorn network for just ONE school.

Are you actually going to act like football schools don't make massive profits off of their product? Please.

Stanford offers athletic scholarships. The Collins twins and Josh Childress went to Stanford for instance.

I went to a school that the US News ranked in the top 3 nationally, that did not offer athletic scholarships, but coaches still send lists of preferences to admissions, and of course legacies get preferential treatment for admissions (the admission application asks if your parents went to the school, alumni can send recommendation letters, arrange interviews, appeals, etc.)
Yeah I've worked in admissions offices before. Even at schools without athletic programs, students can get in based on parents or other preferences even if they clearly don't stack up academically.

Edit: Pelydr... I'm not sure what you're arguing? I said exactly that in my post. It's the conferences and TV networks really making the money. By the way, very few schools actually make profits on sports. Further, their overall budgets usually dwarf athletics. I used an example of my school, UCF who has about a 40 million dollar athletic budget and a 1.2 billion dollar overall institutional budget.

Twio

I think that paper is copied word for word from a Rosa Parks autobiography , saw this very topic on another forum

I wonder what kind of papers Derrick Rose turned in

I truly hope there isn't an autobiography about Rosa Parks out there that begins with "On the evening of December".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom