• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unchained Blades |OT| Now on 3DS!

TDLink

Note: The following OT is actually just a copy/paste of the original, which was done last summer for the PSP release, with minor modifications. I thought it appropriate to post a new thread considering it is on a new platform now and will get more exposure this way. All credit for this OT though should go towards cj_iwakura. You can find the original here.

uc1.jpg

Unchained Blades is a dungeon-crawling title made by FuRyu; a large compilation of many creative minds (including Takashi Hino (Grandia) as the scenario designer, Toshio Akashi (Lunar) as the director, and a soundtrack composed by Tsutomu Narita (Xenoblade Chronicles) with Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) contributing the theme song) to bring the PSP and the 3DS one heck of an RPG.

It is now available for the first time on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. It's also currently available on the PlayStation Network and is both Vita and PSP compatible. The price on both eShop and PSN is $29.99.

Note: You'll need a PS3 to transfer it to a Vita, so uh, borrow a friend's for an hour or so if needed.

The PSP version displays a map over the dungeons, while the 3DS version will have all that on the bottom screen.
OG5lJ.jpg
UAKMk.jpg
H6mNz.jpg

uc6.jpg

In a world inhabited by mythical beings, where colossal labyrinths called Titans tower over the land, there's a legend that any being who can approach the Goddess Clunea high in the sky shall have a single wish granted. A powerful and self-absorbed dragon named Fang aims for those heights to meet with the Goddess and learn the name of the strongest monster in the world. His drive to find and kill this ultimate opponent and firmly establish himself as the dominant monster of the land is mighty enough to entreat the gods, but his boldness is also his undoing.

Disdainful and disrespectful to the Goddess, she strips him of his dragon form and banishes him to the surface. Bereft of the power he once wielded as the Dragon Emperor, Fang must now adjust to surviving in a far weaker body as he navigates the dangerous mazes of halls in his quest for revenge upon the creator herself.

uc3.jpg

Fang

char1.jpg

The fierce and powerful Dragon Emperor.

A young king of the Dragon Clan whose arrogance and lack of respect towards the ruler of the world, Goddess Clunea, resulted in her stripping him of his adult body and enormous power.

Tiana

char2.jpg

The phoenix princess.

Despite being the princess of the Phoenix Clan and the legitimate heir to the throne, she secretly longs to become a dragon - the giant, spiky, fang-filled mouth kind of dragon. Why one of the powerful phoenix royalty should want to become a dragon is a source of much curiosity (and hilarity) to her traveling companions.

Lucius

char3.jpg

A mysterious swordsman who must see the Goddess at all cost.

Unlike most would-be wishers, he challenges the Titans solo and seemingly without a care for injury or fatigue. His manner of dress suggests that he is a denizen of the Demon World's Reaper Clan.
(Voiced by: Liam O'Brian!)

Niko

char4.jpg

A goofy, somewhat excitable girl from the Spirit Fox Clan.

As part of this carefree fox tribe, she is a girl with nine tails and a keen sense of smell. She is very friendly and tomboy-ish but does show her feminine side from time to time. She also has an unhealthy love of buttons, especially the ones that drop boulders on your head when pushed.

Lapis

char5.jpg

A medusa with androphobia (fear of men).

A shy Medusa Clan mage with the power to turn men to stone at a glance. Unfortunately, her fear of men tends to lead to a trail of unlucky petrified admirers. As a result, her greatest desire is to rid herself of this troublesome phobia with the help of the Goddess.

Sylvie

char6.jpg

A Reaper Clan girl on a quest to aid her brother.

A somewhat prim and proper black mage on a mission. She is brave, kind, and sincere despite the ominous reputation that Demon World clans tend to have above ground.

Hector

char7.jpg

A cowardly Golem prince.

A recently fledged Golem Clan prince. Though he may now be considered an 'adult' due to his fledging, he's still a boy at heart. Is currently on the run from his hundreds of rather large and aggressive fiancées.

Mari

char8.jpg

A tiny Mandrake girl.

An emotionless girl who doesn't say much. Seems wise beyond her years when she does speak, but why a child would be wandering about the dungeon on her own is the greater mystery.

Clunea

char9.jpg

Goddess that created the world.

The all-powerful deity that created the world and the massive living labyrinths known as the Titans. She tasks all those who would beg a wish of her to undertake the "Holy Ordeals" and conquer these Titans. Has the ability to make miracles come true.

uc5.jpg

ss-sys1B.jpg

3D Dungeon Crawling

Traverse through the bodies of the Titans by way of first-person dungeon crawling, bringing up to four party members along with you. Explore the dungeons fully and fill in the map as you take each step, or forgo the map entirely and learn to carefully avoid dangerous traps.
ss-sys2B.jpg

Each Titan possesses a unique set of puzzles and traps to discover. From Titan Darius' pits of lava to holding your breath as you swim through the flooded corridors of Titan Tortuga, the elements will prove to be no easy adversary on your journey. Hidden treasure chests with key items, dark corridors, barred passages and one-way halls will challenge you to reach the Ark of the Titan each step of the way.

Skill Trees!
ss-sys3A.jpg

The Skill Map is a chart of obtainable skills and abilities unique to each of the playable characters in the game. Earn Skill Points by leveling up in battle and choose a path of Skills from a multitude of directions. You can improve each individual party member's health, have them learn healing or elemental abilities, obtain powerful physical attacks, or perhaps teach them how to have a stronger affinity with enemies from the same clan.

Monster Ranching!
ss-sys4A.jpg

ss-sys4B.jpg

As you battle, your performance is rewarded in the form of Charisma Points. The more Charisma you have, the more likely an enemy might consider you a worthy Master. When a bright ring appears on top of an enemy, show them your strength by choosing the Unchain option – an option which challenges you to time your actions within a pattern of circles - and create a small army of Followers who can fight alongside you, help you learn special Skills unique to their element, deflect attacks, or even take damage in your place.

Lots and lots of monsters
ss-sys5B.jpg

Don't think being charismatic is all it takes to win a battle; many enemies won't be fooled, so you'll have to face them head on. Customize a party of four lead characters and play to each of their strengths in turn-based combat. Place all of your strongest members on the front lines to soak up damage, or choose to use a healer or support mage in the back row. Each character can also bring up to four Followers with them to battle, allowing up to sixteen additional party members to give you that extra edge in a tough fight. Just remember that the enemy can have a full party ready for action, too- sometimes even enough of a party to take up two or three screens at the same time.

uc4.jpg

Official Site
Trailer 1
Trailer 2
Trailer 3

Reviews?
ss-sys5A.jpg

Right now none of the major sites have given this game a look. Hopefully with the 3DS release this will change. I'll update this part of the OT if and when that happens.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Haven't played it myself and honestly its a bit too pricy for me to jump in (would probably jump in during a sale) but just wanted to note that the game is available through the Vita's store front so theres no need to transfer it from a PS3.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There was when it launched many, many moons ago.

After waffling for months on whether or not I'd buy this game after being delayed so often I've decided to give this a chance. If it is actually up tomorrow by 3pm eastern I'll buy it. If it's not I'll get Spin Cycle and save the rest of the money that would have gone for this for Fire Emblem DLC.

cj_iwakura

This is a very high production value game, and there's a lot to do and see, so I feel it's worth it(the PSP version was anyway). Not like the 3DS is exactly swimming in RPGs at the moment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is a very high production value game, and there's a lot to do and see, so I feel it's worth it(the PSP version was anyway). Not like the 3DS is exactly swimming in RPGs at the moment.

There were even less when it was originally set to come out and now it's only seven or so weeks away from its biggest competition.

cj_iwakura

There were even less when it was originally set to come out and now it's only seven or so weeks away from its biggest competition.

Soul Hackers isn't coming out until April, there's time!

But seriously, seven weeks is plenty of time to enjoy this, I think.

Boney

Banned
I'd get it at $20, with EO4 coming in less than 2 months I can wait for my dungeon crawling

How does this compare say to like, EO3?

cj_iwakura

I'd get it at $20, with EO4 coming in less than 2 months I can wait for my dungeon crawling

How does this compare say to like, EO3?

You don't draw your dungeons, of course. Instead of one massive dungeon that changes as you go, it has multiple dungeon hubs, and a 'set' cast. They're voice acted, and quite well.

They each have set roles and skill trees, something like Digital Devil Saga 2's.

The game is no pushover. Battles involve multiple screens of enemies, and so do major boss fights. Think FFVI's finale.

Boney

Banned
You don't draw your dungeons, of course. Instead of one massive dungeon that changes as you go, it has multiple dungeon hubs, and a 'set' cast. They're voice acted, and quite well.

They each have set roles and skill trees, something like Digital Devil Saga 2's.

The game is no pushover. Battles involve multiple screens of enemies, and so do major boss fights. Think FFVI's finale.

Sounds pretty interesting!

Too bad there's no retail release, I'd get it full price there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd prefer 25 or 20 but 30 isn't so bad for a genre I love. Skipped getting it for the PSP because of bottom screen map.

Yuterald

XSEED published this, right? I'd like to support the game and their efforts, but I definitely wouldn't invest any time into it right now. I've got a MOUNTAIN of these first person RPGs stocked up across my PSP/DS collection. I haven't made time for like any of them either, lol! Rainy day games, I suppose...The one I've always wanted to play the most, King's Field Additional I&II, never got localized either. =/

cj_iwakura

I'd prefer 25 or 20 but 30 isn't so bad for a genre I love. Skipped getting it for the PSP because of bottom screen map.

It looks great on the PSP, and uses a map overlay that I thought worked quite well, just like in Elminage and Persona 1 & 2.

massoluk

Banned
WTF, it's out tomorrow? This was so my anticipated game for the 3DS but it released went way under the radar for me >=p

Velcro Fly

Really wish this would have come out sooner. Even if it was October or November I would have had time to play this one. Now with only a month between this and Fire Emblem it will be tough. The price doesn't scare me because it was a full retail release in Japan but the timing does suck. May have to skip this one until the second half of 2013 since it's going to be RPG overload here shortly.

vareon

I'm always interested in this, but with the pace I finish dungeon crawlers, there's no way I will finish this before EOIV and not getting burned. Thankfully it's an eshop release so I can buy whenever I want to instead of searching across the world far and wide to find a copy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, finally.
I would LOVE to hear what went down behind the scenes that so incredibly delayed the 3DS release.

rjc571

Banned
Too bad they're not releasing it on a cart. I'd buy this for $30 at retail, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a downloadable title.

cj_iwakura

Too bad they're not releasing it on a cart. I'd buy this for $30 at retail, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a downloadable title.

This is a full-fledged game, and it was a retail title in Japan. It's just in a digital medium.

jackal27

Banned
I'm REALLY interested in this. Especially because I would love to review it on Pocketoid. However, I am just not sure about throwing down $30 on it.

The reviews I've seen of the other versions were really bad as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are those all 3DS screens? Why don't they put all the hud stuff on the bottom screen where they can have the whole screen to themselves and not be as cramped and low res, while also leaving the main 3D view less cramped? Or is it PSP?

rjc571

Banned
This is a full-fledged game, and it was a retail title in Japan. It's just in a digital medium.

No resale/ownership value + no universal account system means downloadable games aren't worthy of retail prices for me.

Are those all 3DS screens? Why don't they put all the hud stuff on the bottom screen where they can have the whole screen to themselves and not be as cramped and low res, while also leaving the main 3D view less cramped? Or is it PSP?

Obviously they're for PSP, they're in PSP resolution

This DEFINITELY looks interesting. I just might have to pick it up on the 3DS.

Does anyone know if this game has a decent amount of dialog / banter / a plot? Or is it just dungeon-crawling goodness?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not having to drive to the store/wait for the mail/find a place even selling obscure super niche stuff like this is a great reason for me to go digital.

Also I hate keeping carts and cases around. I intend to go almost full digital this year if I can.

This game would have been great to play through the summer up until now.
With EOIV around the corner, it's not as appealing.

I have to know what went wrong getting this title on the eshop as scheduled.

*edit* saw XSEED comment on technical difficulties in porting it...
I'm waiting for some 3DS version reviews before jumping in.

bon

I wish it was on a cart. I'd pay a full $40 for a physical copy but $30 for a download is hard for me to stomach.

TDLink

XSEED published this, right? I'd like to support the game and their efforts, but I definitely wouldn't invest any time into it right now. I've got a MOUNTAIN of these first person RPGs stocked up across my PSP/DS collection. I haven't made time for like any of them either, lol! Rainy day games, I suppose...The one I've always wanted to play the most, King's Field Additional I&II, never got localized either. =/

Yup, it's all thanks to XSeed that this game was localized for North America.

For some reason no 3DS screenshots have been released as far as I can tell so those are all from the PSP Version. I'll add some 3DS shots as soon as they are available.

Taken from RPGfan's PSP version review

RPGfan said:
The eclectic cast of characters was created by several famous Japanese artists, ranging from pako (Shining Force EXA) and Toshiyuki Kubooka (THE IDOLM@STER) to one of my personal favorites, Kumichi Yoshizuki (Someday's Dreamers). Their various art styles are surprisingly cohesive, and the world design is consistently interesting. The dungeon graphics are adequate, though they aren't very important because the screen is typically occupied by character portraits or hand-drawn enemy sprites that animate slightly. Menus are a tad clunky, and I'm not especially fond of the game's font, but these are very minor quibbles.

The soundtrack is also a collaboration, though on a smaller scale. The venerable Nobuo Uematsu composed the main theme and world map theme, while the remainder of the tracks were composed by Tsutomu Narita, who happens to be a member of Uematsu's band EARTHBOUND PAPAS. The battle theme, "UNCHAINED," is an especially vivacious track with some synth breakdown that I couldn't help but tap along to every time it played. The various boss themes are kickin' as well, and each dungeon has a distinctly atmospheric background track. My only complaint is the lack of variety, since twenty songs don't stretch well across sixty-plus hours of gameplay. Voice acting is solid, featuring some high-profile talent like Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal. Characters are well-cast, being likeable at best and inoffensive at worst. I couldn't ask for more, really.

If you know what you're getting into, Unchained Blades is an enjoyable game that doles out pain and pleasure in equal capacity. Thanks in no small part to XSEED's quality localization, the story does a good job of keeping the player engaged and pushing him forward to their next objective. If the idea of frequent random deaths and punishing dungeons makes you want to throw your PSP, this may not be the game for you. Those who appreciate a steep challenge and some great art will find a lot to love in Unchained Blades.

Sounds like the core translation and game are great, but I was always sold on the game.
Only thing I'm concerned about is technical issues with the port to 3DS.

I don't think any of us were worried about XSEED's localization. This is a quality team that does their best for the audience they cater to. Look at Elminage on psp and UFO interactive for a poor quality localization example.

So, are there any differences between the PSP and 3DS version beside the obvious visual specs? I plan on picking up the game eventually, but I haven't decided on a system yet.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wish it was on a cart. I'd pay a full $40 for a physical copy but $30 for a download is hard for me to stomach.

I'm pretty much in the same place. Was this on a cart in Japan?

Fodder76

I'll probably pick up whichever version goes on sale first. And since 3DS titles never go on sale (to my knowledge), that will eventually be the PSP version.

Marche90

I want this, but with FE next month and Soul Hackers in April this is becoming a dilemma.

Well, I guess that I can save some money to buy it in March or find a way to save some cash to buy both FE and this game and the same time. Time to take the "wait and see" aproach =/

I'm gonna go ahead and get it this weekend... I was super pumped about it all summer anyway.

Also, 1st person dungeon crawlers are my jam.

RedBoot

I consider this game as the kickoff for the (One-Third)Year of the 3DS RPG, with this in January, Fire Emblem in February, EO4 in March, and Soul Hackers in April! Will I manage to finish any of them? Maybe!

(Psst, Square, go ahead and announce Bravely Default for May so we can keep the train going)

So, is this game actually good? Gameplay and character building-wise? I was turned off to it initially because I thought it was more about collecting and using monsters in battle, but it seems more in line with a regular party member rpg and now I'm kind of interested...

I consider this game as the kickoff for the (One-Third)Year of the 3DS RPG, with this in January, Fire Emblem in February, EO4 in March, and Soul Hackers in April! Will I manage to finish any of them? Maybe!

(Psst, Square, go ahead and announce Bravely Default for May so we can keep the train going)

Oh yes. Also, while not an rpg, Monster Hunter drops in March.
3DS rules 2013 completely.

Looks great!

This is the dungeon? Looks like Howl's Moving Dungeon!

just one of many dungeons.

So, is this game actually good? Gameplay and character building-wise? I was turned off to it initially because I thought it was more about collecting and using monsters in battle, but it seems more in line with a regular party member rpg and now I'm kind of interested...

it is a regular party member RPG in first person. there is character development with some nice twists.

don't expect to clean this game with auto battle, you will get murdered. good for people who want to get from JRPG into dungeons crawlers.

Top Bottom