• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unchained Blades |OT| Now on 3DS!

jackal27

Banned
Can't wait to hear some impressions on this thing. It sounds right up my alley, but some of the reviews I've read of other versions were pretty disheartening.

Aeana

I had no interest in this until I played Lost Heroes, a similar game, a few months back. Definitely on my radar now.

Have you ever looked at the Etrian Odyssey series? Or Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey? EO1, 2, and SJ were developed by Lancarse, the same dev who made Lost Heroes. But... none of them are as extreme as Lost Heroes in terms of battle animations.

EDarkness

This game was looking cool, but I don't know about controlling tons of animals and such. I guess I'll end up passing on this one.

Have you ever looked at the Etrian Odyssey series? Or Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey? EO1, 2, and SJ were developed by Lancarse, the same dev who made Lost Heroes. But... none of them are as extreme as Lost Heroes in terms of battle animations.

I've always been meaning to check out the EO games to be honest, although I've never taken the plunge. Didn't know they shared devs with Lost Heroes, even without the flashy Tokusatsu animations I think I'd enjoy them though, thanks.

I feel like I'm pretty excited to pick up this game. I was debating for a while about which version I should get, Vita or 3DS, but the $20 eShop card I picked up from Wal-Mart with my Wal-Mart gift card pretty much cemented my decision. I figure this guy can likely hold me over until FE or EOIV.

I'm on the fence. I was hoping for some reviews.

Yeah, review for the 3DS version would have been nice. I know that the PSP version has a few reviews available, but I still would have preferred 3DS specific ones. The way I look at it, because of the gift card, I'm only out $10 bucks if it's just absolutely horrible. From everything I've read/seen about the PSP version I don't think it's going to be awful and it definitely sounds like it's up my alley.

Honestly at this point I'm simply holding out for SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, all other games pale in comparison to how much I'm anticipating this title.

Letep

Yeah, review for the 3DS version would have been nice. I know that the PSP version has a few reviews available, but I still would have preferred 3DS specific ones. The way I look at it, because of the gift card, I'm only out $10 bucks if it's just absolutely horrible. From everything I've read/seen about the PSP version I don't think it's going to be awful and it definitely sounds like it's up my alley.

Honestly at this point I'm simply holding out for SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, all other games pale in comparison to how much I'm anticipating this title.

I hear that. At that price out of pocket, it's a safe bet. I will probably wait for some impressions myself.

Yeah, SMT: DV SH looks sick, man.

Volcynika

How big is the game? Size wise

Probably have to wait until the update and it being put on the store. They said it gets compressed when it goes up on the eShop so they'd have to wait or something for the release to say how much space is needed. (This was mentioned on their Facebook page when someone asked).

Probably have to wait until the update and it being put on the store. They said it gets compressed when it goes up on the eShop so they'd have to wait or something for the release to say how much space is needed. (This was mentioned on their Facebook page when someone asked).

Oh cool!! thanks

scy

Now that I have a 3DS, I guess I get to debate getting it on my Vita or 3DS.

Going to assume 3DS, just for the convenience of the bottom screen (...and to finally have another 3DS title!) but who knows.

Can someone tell me the level cap of this game? I've heard inconsistant reports of this.

FWIW I found this on a gamespot post where the author states that the Max Character level is 99 and he then proceeds to list other information. Again I don't know personally, because I'm still waiting for the stupid eShop to update so I can buy the game :) come on 12 noon EST!

Now that I have a 3DS, I guess I get to debate getting it on my Vita or 3DS.

Going to assume 3DS, just for the convenience of the bottom screen (...and to finally have another 3DS title!) but who knows.

And presumably it could be cool to play a first person dungeon in 3D, assuming the game is actually in 3D.

wsippel

Banned
Having every character designed by a different artist and using a completely different style is a very weird concept. Lapis was designed by the Sora no Otoshimono dude, right?

Eusis

I still think the PSP screen is superior to the 3DS screen.
And it's compatible with the Vita, which has the best screen of the three albeit not native resolution. I'm going to wait and see what people say if I opt to get this ad not just blow it off in favor of attacking backlog and getting Atlus's first person dungeon crawlers.

bryehn

Looks pretty poop on the 3DS XL. The 3D effect during conversations is nice. Mother of pearl, that writing and acting though. Game seems solid enough after an hour.

Someone find out how much space it takes if you have your 3DS handy!

~4900 blocks

Weird as hell, B is the confirm button to start a new game and advance dialog. I guess a holdover from the PS button configuration?

Heh, having just finished playing Persona 4 Golden hearing Fang the "Dragon Emperor" made me laugh a little because I imagined him making little animals out of fabric as Kanji. I'm pretty sure it's the same voice actor, I think his name is Troy Baker. Either way it was pretty funny to me.

RedSwirl

And it's compatible with the Vita, which has the best screen of the three albeit not native resolution. I'm going to wait and see what people say if I opt to get this ad not just blow it off in favor of attacking backlog and getting Atlus's first person dungeon crawlers.

Don't have a Vita, so it's literally just PSP or 3DS.

Like the guy above said the 3D effect during conversations is quite nice. Not deep but it adds to it a bit.

The voice acting is actually very good in my opinion! I've heard far worse on a regular basis.

However the 3D effect on the dungeon is super shallow which makes me sad...but it's not the end of the world. There's no AA with 3D off but it looks a little less jaggy due to not having separate images for each eye.

And I like the map on the lower screen as expected.

Like the guy above said the 3D effect during conversations is quite nice. Not deep but it adds to it a bit.

The voice acting is actually very good in my opinion! I've heard far worse on a regular basis.

However the 3D effect on the dungeon is super shallow which makes me sad...but it's not the end of the world. There's no AA with 3D off but it looks a little less jaggy due to not having separate images for each eye.

And I like the map on the lower screen as expected.

thanks for the impressions on the 3D effects and 3DS screen layout.
Excited to jump into it!

tengiants

The only thing that's turning me away from this game is the raising monsters aspect. Is this a big part of the game like a Shin Megami Tensei game? Or is it peripheral part of the experience?

cj_iwakura

The only thing that's turning me away from this game is the raising monsters aspect. Is this a big part of the game like a Shin Megami Tensei game? Or is it peripheral part of the experience?
Very peripheral, except for small parts of the dungeons that require you to put your monsters up against a guardian's for a really annoying fight sequence.

Very brief, but kind of a pain in the neck.

EDarkness

This is my issue as well. I hate two things in gaming card games and monster raising. Either of these two things pretty much guarantees I'm not gonna play it. But I'm willing to give games the benefit of the doubt. If the monster raising can be skipped and not impact gameplay, then I'm all for it. The basic story of it all sounds like something I'd get into, but monster companions is something I don't want to bother with.

Downloading now, finally! What a long, strange wait it's been. Dunno how much playtime this will get before Fire Emblem comes out, as I'm currently playing through EOIII in anticipation of EOIV's launch next month and idk if I want two dungeon crawlers on my plate at the same time, but since it's digital and always on my system I'll probably be chipping away at it here and there for some time to come.

Did the original Japanese 3DS version have technical issues?
I assumed the technical difficulties XSEED referred to have to do w/the eShop, since I think the Japanese release was retail only? Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'll probably pick up whichever version goes on sale first. And since 3DS titles never go on sale (to my knowledge), that will eventually be the PSP version.
There have been *some* eShop sales in the past (Nintendo of America ran a handful last summer) but it's not exactly common. I doubt the PSN version will see sales or a price drop anytime soon though, as I don't think XSEED would want to undercut 3DS sales now that it's finally out.

I can't imagine why catching monsters would be a holdup. The way they're described in the game makes them sound like a piece of equipment. You equip up to 4 to a character and they provide extra attack and defense.

When you get monster HP under a certain point, you might be able to play a little minigame to entice them to join you. If you don't like the idea of having living things along with you, it sounds like you can basically pretend that you're able to steal magic rings from them instead, it all works out to the same thing. You attach them to yourself afterward and you're stronger for it, and sometimes you need to have a certain number/quality of "rings" to progress.

Eusis

Weird as hell, B is the confirm button to start a new game and advance dialog. I guess a holdover from the PS button configuration?
The fuck Xseed?

That's it, PSP(/Vita) or nothing for me now. I admittedly can have a weird fixation on sticking with the original button layout, but even without that angle it's going to be way harder for me to deal with that on the 3DS where no one but a few western developers does that, especially on a game that IS from Japan.

Can anyone with the 3DS version confirm whether or not the 3DS version has the character portraits that pop up during attacks?

I heard a rumor that it doesn't, but no confirmation.

What does it look like? Is it only on critical hits? Is it for companions and not the main characters?

Fang's character portrait is at the bottom of the screen in a box at all times during combat.

Sorry, totally misunderstood your previous post. Beat me with a response before I could edit. I don't know what triggers the cut-ins but this video shows a few at 0:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkebB5_sLY

Those are showing up during a monster companion battle (as opposed to a standard battle that happens while roaming the maze) and I believe it did just like that during the tutorial battle.

EDIT: Yeah it did, I just tested it again. Big phoenix princess shows up in a cool pose.

tengiants

I can't imagine why catching monsters would be a holdup. The way they're described in the game makes them sound like a piece of equipment. You equip up to 4 to a character and they provide extra attack and defense.

When you get monster HP under a certain point, you might be able to play a little minigame to entice them to join you. If you don't like the idea of having living things along with you, it sounds like you can basically pretend that you're able to steal magic rings from them instead, it all works out to the same thing. You attach them to yourself afterward and you're stronger for it, and sometimes you need to have a certain number/quality of "rings" to progress.

Thanks, this is reassuring. I mostly dislike all the micromanagement for characters that I am not attached to in monster raising games, and it doesn't sound like this game has that. I did some additional reading and found that you still have to weaken and catch the monsters. That's a little annoying to me but I can deal with it.

I'll pick this up when I get off work.

Top Bottom