• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

rhino4evr

S1kkZ said:
well, what do you want to know?
So despite the lack of extras, do you think uncharted 3 single player campaign Is superior to the other two games ? What would you rate it out of 10 based on SP alone ?

S1kkZ

Loudninja said:
Just general stuff.
ok

-the game feels much more like an adventure or indiana jones film this time
-the shooting is (thankfully) scaled back. story, characters, locations take the center stage.
-story is much better and the characters (drake) are more believable. i never cared for drake, i couldnt even stand him as a character before. but here, he is written in a much better way (like most of the characters).
-way too much hand to hand combat. its a quciktime event, nothing more. its a shame, with a few tweaks it could have been so much better.
-some really awesome moments. your jaw will drop.
-the bad guys are much better this time.
-its more down to earth than uc2
-much more puzzles
-again some unfair bullshit torwards the end

in short: its uncharted like i always wanted it to be.

@rhino: i hated uc1, uc2 was ok (hated the story and most of the characters and didnt care for the large amount of combat and the lack of puzzles) but i really love uc3. 9/10

Loudninja

S1kkZ said:
ok

-the shooting is (thankfully) scaled back. story, characters, locations take the center stage.
-story is much better and the characters (drake) are more believable. i never cared for drake, i couldnt even stand him as a character before. but here, he is written in a much better way (like most of the characters).
-way too much hand to hand combat. its a quciktime event, nothing more. its a shame, with a few tweaks it could have been so much better.
-much more puzzles

@rhino: i hated uc1, uc2 was ok (hated the story and most of the characters and didnt care for the large amount of combat and the lack of puzzles) but i really love uc3. 9/10
Sounds good, but I did like all the shooting of the first 2 games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
S1kkZ said:

-much more puzzles

Sounds like what a lot of people have wanted from the series. Too bad that without a fast motion cheat, the increase in puzzles and decrease in combat will make replaying the game more tedious.

S1kkZ

Loudninja said:
Sounds good, but I did like all the shooting of the first 2 games.
i always felt it was out of place and dragged on for way too long. here, its almost perfect (still a little too much for my taste) and its set up and explained in a much better way.

Gregorn

I love ShopTo so much. 3 minutes ago I noticed they had Uncharted 3 in stock and since Play.com was sucking still I cancelled that order and went with ShopTo, 2 minutes later I got a picture of the package with my name on it and everything ready to be shipped.

If everything goes to plan I should have it in 15 hours.

Edit:
Please note if you have a pre-order for Uncharted we are processing pre orders from the evening of Thursday October 27th and dispatching Monday October 31st by Royal Mail.

Oh. :(

Loudninja

S1kkZ said:
i always felt it was out of place and dragged on for way too long. here, its almost perfect (still a little too much for my taste) and its set up and explained in a much better way.
It sounds like you dont want any shooting at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spiffy_1st said:
I love ShopTo so much. 3 minutes ago I noticed they had Uncharted 3 in stock and since Play.com was sucking still I cancelled that order and went with ShopTo, 2 minutes later I got a picture of the package with my name on it and everything ready to be shipped.

Edit:

I think I can hear your soul being crushed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
S1kkZ said:
ok

-much more puzzles

I give your review an 8 out of 10! ;)

iNvid02

Spiffy_1st said:

Edit:

yep shopto dont do early anymore, GAME on the other hand posted mine today

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
S1kkZ said:

This for me. Uncharted shooting often felt like it got in the way of what Uncharted actually does well. I often :sighed: when I had to clear rooms of enemies. Maybe I was just too wrapped up in the drama to spend a few dumb minutes plugging dudes.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
anyone else bummed european ce isnt steelcase? its a paper book with the disc jammed between 2 pages that are stuck together, gotta put your fingerprint on bottom of disc to get it out

smh.

sephi22

Sup GAF?

JmH0u.jpg

I <3 Dubai
^ Not a story spoiler.

Gregorn

iNvidious01 said:
yep shopto dont do early anymore, GAME on the other hand posted mine today

ARGH! I can't cancel with ShopTo either because they've already processed it, it's just going to sit around all weekend and wait until I go back to work to be posted .

This last quarter of an hour I have been bipolar.

Is that the
young version of Catherine Marlowe
? YOWZA

note: a polite warning, don't highlight that if you haven't played the game

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Brandon F said:
This for me. Uncharted shooting often felt like it got in the way of what Uncharted actually does well. I often :sighed: when I had to clear rooms of enemies. Maybe I was just too wrapped up in the drama to spend a few dumb minutes plugging dudes.

You mean the auto-platforming through mostly linear areas dressed up to look expansive?

Uncharted is a shooter first and foremost.

ND, take back your uncharted tv, facebook integration, youtube uploads, mp altogether
I love uncharted mp
... just give me back unlockable skins, modes and cutscenes, please.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
S1kkZ said:

This I'm happy with. I enjoy the shooting in Uncharted 2 (Uncharted 1 can fuck off), but Naughty Dog still haven't matched the encounter design and creativity you see in pure shooters (eg: Vanquish), so I'm happy to see the shooting scaled back a bit in favour of other ideas.

Shame about the melee. It was already a QTE, but I felt used sparingly enough to prevent it from becoming tedious.

UrbanRats

EloquentM said:
I always thought being able to choose which weapon you wanted was cheating the trophy system. I had hoped they'd remedy that in UC3 but I didn't want them to take that feature out completely!
Fun > Trophies.

WTF @ no campaign extras, and not being able to watch cutscenes outside the campaign.

But I guess they didn't have time for those since they were too busy changing the MP from the Summer Beta. :|

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
No unlockables or rewatching cutscenes? I mean, personally I didn't really use any of those things, but they were nice additions.. Guess they really did finish it just before deadline.

Pranay

For those that were asking, the melee combat is a lot like Arkham City. Square to punch, Triangle to counter. It's not as fluid as Arkham City, but I think it's much better than in previous games. I've actually found myself getting into quite a few fist-fights so far.

can someone exactly say how the Melee combat is ?

:|

EloquentM

aka Mannny
UrbanRats said:
Fun > Trophies.
that's not what I meant. In some games when you use cheats it doesn't allow you to unlock trophies on that stave state. you can still use the cheats when you want to play for fun but you cannot use them to unlock trophies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:
Shame about the melee. It was already a QTE, but I felt used sparingly enough to prevent it from becoming tedious.

I recall somebody comparing it to Rocksteady's Batman. I feel lied to... betrayed, even.

Pranay_ said:

Sounds like Batman, more flash than technical. I don't care as long as I do a couple of potshots and do a running fist.

Melee is really useless at the higher difficulties.

S1kkZ

Pranay_ said:

it tries to be like arkham but its not even close. it feels to clunky and scripted. the animations are also, i wouldnt say bad but they should look better.

S1kkZ said:
ok

-much more puzzles

Interesting.

Well, I love shooting in Uncharted 2. They set up some excellent set pieces built around shooting, and even just the static arenas in Uncharted 2 had a perfect vertical aspect to them. It is my favorite 3rd-person shooter. The mechanics are sharp, and the level design is better than in the competition (when combined with scaling abilities).

On the other hand the platforming has always been kind of mindless. I liked it... it passed the time and looked good, but it was so incredibly shallow. And the puzzles have always been unworthy of even being called puzzles.

However I have faith in ND. We'll see how they balanced all this.

Umm wut?! There is a Melee system being compared to Batman? Is that because Batman just came out or is the new melee just really that in-depth?

I didn't mind the one-button melee, this is a TPShooter.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I was one of the few people that actually did use the unlockable extras from the SP campaign. This is the most disappointing news for me so far. :(

Pranay_ said:
uncharted3riflequxo.gif

ibhRsu847Vmj2N.gif

Can we do this atleast :| ?

I hope so, that is bad ass. Melee improvements sound like they'll be good. I like the new animations and that it seems a little bit deeper than before.

The lack of cheats and a cutscene viewer aren't a big deal to me. It's just... their absence is so weird. Like, it literally has no point. They have the tech to do it, it can't be hard to implement, especially since they've done it twice before.

At least it seems they still have the "Making of" videos, those were always my favourite. I watched all of those.

Man, I have to wait till Monday/Tuesday. The wait is sooooooooooooooooooo long. Last few days are always frustrating. Kinda like sexual frustration.

Top Bottom