• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC's unprecedented academic fraud case will test NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

After seeing some more e-mails, it looks like they were intentionally steering people to these courses to keep them eligible for federal grants as well. If people wanted to bother with it, UNC as an academic institution could probably be pretty much shut down over this. No more accreditation, no more NCAA affiliation, no more federal finding. If they still have a functioning athletic department after this is over, well, it's a shame.

Imagine how much more would be in the report had it been performed by an actual impartial third-party rather than a North Carolina grad.

Of course, ESPN is trying their best to not talk about any of it. Their president? Also a UNC grad. Hmm.

I've been on the ESPN/Skipper/UNC collusion bandwagon for a long time, but Cowherd was reportedly lighting up UNC pretty hard today.

hoos30

I could see the death penalty coming down on some of their sports.
Put down the pipe, UNC is not getting the death penalty. At most they'll get some wins vacated and MAYBE a one year ban. You see that the corrupt NCAA already buckled and reinstated PSU.

Seth C

I've been on the ESPN/Skipper/UNC collusion bandwagon for a long time, but Cowherd was reportedly lighting up UNC pretty hard today.

So one personality going against the company line? Meanwhile with one of the biggest scandals in college athletics history breaking, the story gets one fluff piece from the UNC Chancellor, in the saidebar of the men's college basketball homepage.

It absolutely will not happen. Would erase half of their titles and a quarter of their wins. The NCAA will punish the football program and the minor sports, give a slap on the wrist to the basketball program, and it will be their downfall as other schools leave the NCAA in protest of the favoritism. I believe something like half of the NCAA's infraction board are UNC grads. They will do everything int heir power to make sure nothing drastic happens to their baby.
I'm personally against vacating wins (the games still happened and it's not a real punishment,) but boo fucking hoo.

hoos30

I hope this prompts some sort of chain reaction and every school that does this (read: every school) gets caught and the NCAA ends up fucking itself.
Every school does not do this, in fact, only a select few. My school once kicked the best player off the basketball team for skipping an art class. Not failing it, skipping it.

hoos30

I'm personally against vacating wins (the games still happened and it's not a real punishment,) but boo fucking hoo.
UNC is one of the few places where vacated wins would be a real punishment since they are deep into a rivalry with UK and Duke over all time wins and 'chips. Knocking 100+ wins and one or more 'chips off the table would sting them pretty bad.

Slo

I really wish we'd drop the phony student-athlete facade and start treating (and paying) these guys like the professional athletes that they are.

The NCAA is a dinosaur.

I really wish we'd drop the phony student-athlete facade and start treating (and paying) these guys like the professional athletes that they are.

The NCAA is a dinosaur.

Just separate minor league athletics from schools. That's the only real solution for this.

Bessy67

Still will get a more lenient punishment than what USC got.

I mean look at Penn state...
I'm OK with the penalties at Penn State. What happened there was beyond horrible but I never understood why the players should be punished for something they had nothing to do with. There should never have been a postseason ban or scholarships taken away, instead they should have forced Penn State to donate revenue generated from the football program to some charity that deals with child abuse.

iamblades

I'm OK with the penalties at Penn State. What happened there was beyond horrible but I never understood why the players should be punished for something they had nothing to do with. There should never have been a postseason ban or scholarships taken away, instead they should have forced Penn State to donate revenue generated from the football program to some charity that deals with child abuse.

^^

I've always believed this is how the punishments should happen, you punish the school, not the athletes who weren't even there when the thing happened. You hit the school where it matters, you take their wins and you take the money they earned from those wins.

The NCAA is a dinosaur.
Just separate minor league athletics from schools. That's the only real solution for this.
Like I said in the previous thread about this, there are 420,000 NCAA athletes, ~410,000 of which give a shit about their education. ~3% of the student-athletes are the ones giving the impression that the label is phony. I'm not saying some sports don't need reform, but there will be an awful lot of collateral damage.

Draxal

So one personality going against the company line? Meanwhile with one of the biggest scandals in college athletics history breaking, the story gets one fluff piece from the UNC Chancellor, in the saidebar of the men's college basketball homepage.

Cowherd is the biggest ESPN's college sports personality there is right now, you can't discount that.

Not a real solution at all, in college sports the college brands are much more important than the players since in bb the best of hte best only play for one year, and in the NFL it's often 2 (reshirt as a freshman, and leave after their redshirt soph year like Manziel) or 3 years.

^^

I've always believed this is how the punishments should happen, you punish the school, not the athletes who weren't even there when the thing happened. You hit the school where it matters, you take their wins and you take the money they earned from those wins.

Because that's not enough of a punishment. If the penalty for misbehavior is MAYBE you get caught and you just owe some money, you would take that risk every time. The athletes can go to other schools penalty-free.

In the Penn State case, it was about a culture that enabled and allowed such abhorrent behavior. And even now that culture hasn't been appropriately punished, nor has it learned its lesson. Instead they think they were treated unfairly.

Lexad

Wait what? They got calculators and everyone else didn't?

I guess a particular sport a student athlete is coming from really dictates how this go down. I've taught several student athletes from soccer, tennis, track, swimming, and a few others who were all fine students who did pretty decent work. I've also taught students from those same sports who did shit work. It's never uncommon that you hear about cheerleaders cheating, though. I guess not many football players are going through Biology programs.

Absolutely, at A&M we have have bio med majors who were QBs (starting) and others who were in Ag Science. There are definitely some brilliant players, and some not so much

Lexad

People who keep saying pay the athletes, only about 20 of the 121 FBS schools are actually running a profit in their Athletic Dept. Think about that for a moment.

DsMSRtD.gif

A "Computers and Society" course. Wonder if they just watch Terminator movies in that class...

Burt

DsMSRtD.gif

A "Computers and Society" course. Wonder if they just watch Terminator movies in that class...
Is there some greater context to this? It sounds like Debby was willing to add an athlete to a class specifically because it wouldn't be a special athlete-only exception. And I'm not totally sure why asking what the "best 'other' math sub" is highlighted. It sounds more like a problem with having to cope with the bullshit of crappy bureaucratic gen ed requirements whose availability inexplicably rotates semester to semester than a deliberate attempt to hide fraud. I ran into the same problem more than once in college, and so did plenty of my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom