• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord Question

Bernardougf

Im about to pull the trigger on this game, but first I wanted to ask a question, there's to much grinding in it ? Because recently I went trough Tactics Ogre Reborn and was loving it for several hours until the grind took me out of it and I never came back.

Im in search of a new jrpg to start so thats it.

Damn I just started Tactics Ogre, haven't even hit the training levels cause my peeps stay capped so its weird to hear there will be grind.

I didn't need to grind in Unicorn but I also kept mostly the same 3 squads destroying EVERYTHING so the rest of my army was kinda trash lol

PanzerCute

Im about to pull the trigger on this game, but first I wanted to ask a question, there's to much grinding in it ? Because recently I went trough Tactics Ogre Reborn and was loving it for several hours until the grind took me out of it and I never came back.

I platinumed the game and never had to grind once. I played in one of the hardest difficulty setting. I also did all the side content.

Mayar

As someone who has completed the game 4 times... This is a very good game for those who want to get acquainted with the genre, even on normal difficulty it is quite simple and does not punish players for mistakes. The game has several endings and in general it is very pleasant to replay it, because you can get to the ending in different ways, conquering areas in different sequences. Even if you get stuck somewhere, the game usually gives you the opportunity to level up the heroes by repeating special missions.

Tactics Ogre Reborn is not a game that I would recommend to beginners or casual players, it is a great game but for those who already know what they expect from this genre, the number of possibilities and plot twists in this game is simply astronomical.

Bernardougf

Damn I just started Tactics Ogre, haven't even hit the training levels cause my peeps stay capped so its weird to hear there will be grind.

I didn't need to grind in Unicorn but I also kept mostly the same 3 squads destroying EVERYTHING so the rest of my army was kinda trash lol
Yeah theres some difficult spikes that are tough and started to get boring ... never went from "hot damn this game is awsome" to "fuck this" so fast 😅

Sooner

I don't remember grinding in either game. I got platinum for both.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You'll only need to grind if you skip the game's side content. Even though it's totally optional - the difficulty curve that the game has is kind of designed around you doing at least half of the optional stuff.

Usually in that game, if you hit what you think is a "difficulty spike", it's actually just the game's way of telling you that you're using the wrong units or the wrong formation and that instead of grinding you need to optimize your party for that particular engagement.

ap_puff

No real need to grind but it is quite a long game.

Fbh

Not really, the game can be fairly easy even on the highest difficulty and doesn't requiere grinding, specially if you do some of the side content

Shifty1897

The game is stupidly easy unless you put it on Expert mode. You don't need to grind.

The grind in Tactics Ogre is minimal because of the cap, I have no idea what OP is talking about. Hint: Poison is a very good debuff in this version of the game.

Gee

I also finished the game without any grinding, but there are a few points where this is easily done if you still find the need. (Quite a bit of XP in short repeatable missions which also yield items which grant additional XP)

No spoilers, you will recognize them.
Go for it, it’s a good game.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Depends on what difficulty you play on. Story, Normal, and Tactical shouldn't require grinding. I started on Normal and had to switch to Expert about 6-8hrs in. On Expert there were some times I had to level my characters to beat a couple bosses that I couldn't get past otherwise.

Last edited:
I didn't grind at all and you shouldn't need to, just pay attention to what units you are using and rotate them around sometimes to get some XP for everybody

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I didn't grind at all and you shouldn't need to, just pay attention to what units you are using and rotate them around sometimes to get some XP for everybody
This also good idea to sometimes watch the animation and see how each your units synergy with each other.

This is why coliseum is great place to test out your units.

Last edited:

Jedge

Never grinded at all but I did beat the game on normal. Its more so about your unit composition. Vanillaware games don't miss

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Love it, but you’ll want to grind in some areas. You aren’t exactly going to dominate certain regions if there’s a 20+ level gap between you and the enemy. This game is great.

You’ll have parts where you’ll lose and you’ll know you’ll lose because of your level. Does it over do it? Absolutely not.

Top Bottom