• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Univision sells Gizmodo Media Group to private equity firm

zeorhymer

GMG, which includes former Gawker properties Gizmodo, Jezebel and Deadspin, among others, as well as Splinter and the satirical site The Onion, is being sold to Great Hill Partners, private equity firm. Terms of the sales were not disclosed....The newly acquired assets will form a company called "G/O Media Inc.," Great Hill said Monday.

Full article

Well I'll be. I smell "restructure" coming along. I wonder if this is why Jason made that hit piece to burn his bridges before jumping ship.

I have not taken Gizmodo seriously in the last 15 years or so, so why did they pay for this? Does the site do anything else than print ads on press releases now a days?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I have not taken Gizmodo seriously in the last 15 years or so, so why did they pay for this? Does the site do anything else than print ads on press releases now a days?
I used to read them when they were a "cooler" engadget alternative (and tech was still an interesting subject), until they lost all their credentials with Apple for revealing / buying a lost iPhone 4 from a drunk engineer. After that it was only shit.

Lol a third of what it was worth 3 years ago? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

These are the sites that apparently made a decision to push left leaning narratives, according to Tim Pool who worked for Vice. I guess that didn't work out so well...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It looks a lot like how MySpace got passed around between various entities over the years. I reckon they're fucked then.

Barnabot

Nothing of value was lost. Hope the same happens to Waypoint and Polygon.
Leave Waypoint alone!!

Quick close your eyes! Don't let these toxic males get you down.

9Gsnvtk.jpg

If you thought the clickbait and desperation from these outlets has been bad thus far, just wait until private equity gets their hands on them. They are going to publish nonstop trash-- literally anything to get you to click their articles and view ads.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I frequent gizmodo, but don't like to. What are some other good sites with similar content?

Engadget might be worth a look, The Register too, though the latter is showing some signs of wokeness (esp re Linux code of conduct).

pimentel1

Banned
Lol a third of what it was worth 3 years ago? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

These are the sites that apparently made a decision to push left leaning narratives, according to Tim Pool who worked for Vice. I guess that didn't work out so well...

Yep, and anyone that disagreed with their views, their comments were made invisible. A tactic The Root even once gloated about using on white people. Racist pricks.

For Gizmodo to be sold for less than a third of its purchased value proves that people are getting tired of their journo-activism trash. Could Polygon be next?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Whenever I see the words "private equity firm," I always think of that part in Goodfellas where the mafia takes over that tiki restaurant, then drains it to the bones, stripping the paint off the walls, then finally torching the place to collect the insurance money.

Top Bottom