• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I think it's pretty clear that Jaime either kills Cersei or stands by idly and lets Arya do it for him.

Knowing D&D they're probably just going to rip off Romeo and Juliet and have him commit suicide after.
pretty obvious is the word but if GRRM were to do the unexpected I'd want to see Edmure Tully do something to redeem himself also, if that Valonqar shit means anything.

Jaime us going kill cersei, but illyn pain chops his other arm off, cue cersei gloating as pain impales her too.. short pause then face wipe arya stark smilin and finishing off with some lion wolf quip as they are both bleeding out..

Your welcome.

Aiii

So not worth it
pretty obvious is the word but if GRRM were to do the unexpected I'd want to see Edmure Tully do something to redeem himself also, if that Valonqar shit means anything.

Not sure if GRRM will do it, that depends entirely on how his story continues. Jaime has a very different story arc in the books.

But the show will definitely do it.

Steejee

if there is one thing that i thought was weak in this show it was the dialogue, especially among the main characters. not the writing itself but the messages/statements that characters say to each other like jon & sansa and now that we're talking about them, jaime & cersei.

cersei says "tommen betrayed us" and that does not alarm Jaime NEARLY as much as it should. the actor just makes a startling face as a shocking reaction, but that's it. he doesn't say anything to be like "cersei? what the fuck you mean our son betrayed us? or is that something you're just telling your crazy ass self?"

right after she said that, jaime should really not feel safe with her. if tommen "betrayed" her, what's to stop cersei from turning her back on jaime if he "betrayed" her?

That's exactly why he wouldn't have said anything more. He doesn't know how to take what she said, and doesn't trust her now. If the show had an internal monologue his would probably be something like 'Shit shit shit what the hell am I going to do now? How do I fix this?'

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I think it's pretty clear that Jaime either kills Cersei or stands by idly and lets Arya do it for him.

Knowing D&D they're probably just going to rip off Romeo and Juliet and have him commit suicide after.

There's a theory going around that in that map scene, Cersei is standing in the Neck and Jaime in the Fingers, foreshadowing Jaime as the Valonqar.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Jamie will kill Cersei; it's not supposed to be a twist for the viewer, but a twist for Cersei because she has always expected Tyrion would try to kill her.

Not sure if GRRM will do it, that depends entirely on how his story continues. Jaime has a very different story arc in the books.

But the show will definitely do it.
Not sure if GRRM will do valonqar?
That's exactly why he wouldn't have said anything more. He doesn't know how to take what she said, and doesn't trust her now. If the show had an internal monologue his would probably be something like 'Shit shit shit what the hell am I going to do now? How do I fix this?'

Once the Greyjoy fleet arrived though Jaime was feeling very protective of Cersei again though, and pretty offended when Euron showed his 2 good hands off.

jfkgoblue

It's mentioned in the books that Cersei is older.

Also, I can almost guarantee Jaime kills is the one to kill Cersei, remember in the books he was content to let her die to the high sparrow, and after "she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know" he has become completely disillusioned with her.

jfkgoblue

i'm just saying that if GRRM wants to throw another unexpected then it should be Edmure Tully.
Jaime killing Cersei isn't supposed to be an unexpected twist, in the books we get the advantage of seeing these characters thoughts, and as we have seen Cersei gain more power she has become less careful and more insane, it's basically been foreshadowed at this point that Jaime will be the one to do it.

Jaime killing Cersei isn't supposed to be an unexpected twist, in the books we get the advantage of seeing these characters thoughts, and as we have seen Cersei gain more power she has become less careful and more insane, it's basically been foreshadowed at this point that Jaime will be the one to do it.
I get that, which is why I said if GRRM does want to throw in an unexpected twist then it should be Edmure Tully.

mantidor

I wonder if Bran got the magic handprints off his hand before passing beyond the wall. Otherwise didn't he just break the magic that was keeping the whitewalkers from crossing it?

I feel I'm the only one who does not see this. The mark the Night King gave Bran was to find him, not to dispell any magic, the idea as I saw it was that the magic of the children was able to keep regular wights at bay from bloodraven's cave, but not someone powerful like the Night King. This is again confirmed when he is in front of the cave and does his "touch the ground" move to show the children their magic was not strong enough. The wall however is something else.

Watchers updated their ratings chart to reflect the S7 premiere:
f5gwXBM.jpg
This is the first run viewership for all the shows and doesn't include reruns, DVR, on-demand, HBOGo, etc...

_Rob_

What if Arya took Jaime's face after killing him and then fulfils the prophecy by killing Cersei disguised as Jaime... the person with easiest access to Cersei would be Jaime after all.

jfkgoblue

Well Cersei now did what made Jaime kill Aerys: she used wildfire to murder hundreds of people. She now pretty much is the mad queen, so it would make sense for him to start turning on her. Actually I expected that in the first ep already, but even though he expressed his concerns for her planse he's still standing by her. I don't see that lasting for the season though, especially if Euron manages to impress her.

In the books Jaime already despises Cersei by the time he's in the Riverlands, he burns a letter sent to her. I can't recall the specifics of what made him turn though, I think he learned she slept with someone else
Tyrion quote really got it kicked off.

"she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know"

If the biggest complaints about an episode penned by D&D are Dragonstone being empty and Ed Sheeran, we're in pretty good shape.

Was really hoping for some dick, fart or 'smells like ass' jokes, but will settle for poop montage.

Speevy

Banned
This would be a horrificly bad end to Jaime's character arc.

Considering he was supposed to turn on Cersei in season 4 and has basically been having the same "We're the only ones who matter." scene on repeat, it can't be worse.

It's like D and D said "Jaime and Cersei need to hate each other, but let's save that for the end of the show and just have Jaime keep leaving King's Landing for whatever reason."

Ithil

If the biggest complaints about an episode penned by D&D are Dragonstone being empty and Ed Sheeran, we're in pretty good shape.

Was really hoping for some dick, fart or 'smells like ass' jokes, but will settle for poop montage.

Wait til Tyrion shares a scene with Varys again then. 90% of his dialogue last season was talking about Varys' lack of a penis.

Considering he was supposed to turn on Cersei in season 4 and has basically been having the same "We're the only ones who matter." scene on repeat, it can't be worse.

It's like D and D said "Jaime and Cersei need to hate each other, but let's save that for the end of the show and just have Jaime keep leaving King's Landing for whatever reason."

I think they had to make a choice as to where they'd have him tread water till the end game. Either have him tread water hating her, or tread water trying to repair an obviously destroyed relationship until they could get around to her blowing up the Sept of Baelor with wildfire, since there's no LSH in the show.

zethren

Banned
that scene pissed me off. if you go back to season 1 you'll see that Theon never insulted Tyrion until Tyrion provoked him into doing so. Tyrion was the one who initiated the disrespect.

Tyrion also says "I have a soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things". I'm not sure he would have initiated any insults, unprovoked, to Varys.

jfkgoblue

Tyrion is a shithead. This is not a revelation.
They seriously whitewashed him in the show though.

Would show Tyrion have almost killed Penny like book Tyrion? (Never mind the fact that she was entirely cut out except for the purple wedding)

Damerman

"Winter has come for house frey"

Gooooooood damn

Thats all i needed to see. The hound scenes were great also.

Loving the dynamic between sansa and jon. The writing is air tight thus far. That was an excellent episode that wasted no time.

Tyrion is a shithead. This is not a revelation.
I hear he is better in the show than in the books though. But in that scene in particular, it narratively seemed like the viewer was supposed to be on Tyrion's side for that. Like the showrunners forgot that the first and only other scene these two characters shared together, Tyrion was the one being the dick. Since Theon decided to be his Reek self and not rebuttal to say "I didn't call you Imp until after you undermined my presence as Ned Stark's ward." Instead he just goes along with the blame and says "that was a long time ago."
Tyrion also says "I have a soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things". I'm not sure he would have initiated any insults, unprovoked, to Varys.
he says that right before he leaves the room and that's when Theon came to talk to him. Varys and Tyrion are basically friends so it's not a big deal to me if they make fun of each other but Theon didn't say anything mean to Tyrion until he felt annoyed.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watchers updated their ratings chart to reflect the S7 premiere:This is the first run viewership for all the shows and doesn't include reruns, DVR, on-demand, HBOGo, etc...

Man, the Red Wedding really made this show into a juggernaut.

Tyrion quote really got it kicked off.

"she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know"

Oh yeah of course, how could I forget. That's another difference, in the books she'd really been around town at this point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Since they are now on the same side of an alliance, and I have to assume that Tyrion has to have enough knowledge/networking to know his Niece died in Dorne, can we assume there will be any dialogue between him and Ellaria Sand?

Nevermind that they never really showed him reacting to her death, which in it's own way could give him some guilt over it (he did send her to Dorne to be safe in the first place).

Though maybe it's just more that her death got buried along with the rest of the Dorne plotline.

Yep, UUU and Dorne almost killed the show. Started back up with Hardhome, saving the series from that slide. "The Gift" was the lowest point (episode after UUU)

mantidor

I do wonder about Jaime strangling Cersei with just one hand.🤔 He's strong for sure but strangling someone with just one hand is kind of difficult, did the profecy mentioned "hands" in plural? Maybe that is a hint :p

jfkgoblue

Oh yeah of course, how could I forget. That's another difference, in the books she'd really been around town at this point.
Not to mention the "Myrish swamp" absent from the show.
Since they are now on the same side of an alliance, and I have to assume that Tyrion has to have enough knowledge/networking to know his Niece died in Dorne, can we assume there will be any dialogue between him and Ellaria Sand?

Nevermind that they never really showed him reacting to her death, which in it's own way could give him some guilt over it (he did send her to Dorne to be safe in the first place).

Though maybe it's just more that her death got buried along with the rest of the Dorne plotline.

Yep, UUU and Dorne almost killed the show. Started back up with Hardhome, saving the series from that slide. "The Gift" was the lowest point (episode after UUU)
I just pretend that show Dorne isn't cannon, it's getting harder to do though sadly.

Acidote

I do wonder about Jaime strangling Cersei with just one hand.🤔 He's strong for sure but strangling someone with just one hand is kind of difficult, did the profecy mentioned "hands" in plural? Maybe that is a hint :p

I don't remember it, but even if it's not in plural it could still be Tyrion. He could kill her with his Hand of the Queen brooch, and so killing her with his own hand.

It does specify "hands", rather than "hand".

That said, Tyrion spends the books post-ASOS repeating that "hands of gold are always cold" line from the Symon's song, and we've already seen golden hands used to strangle a character (Shae, with the Hand's Chain).

You raise an excellent point. I've got a pretty good feeling this will be swept under the rug. Either that, or any attempt to address it will fall flat.

While not as cinematic as a face-to-face strangulation, he could always get the job done with a sleeper choke. Or could use a sheathed sword. That could be pulled off well enough while keeping them face-to-face if he pins her down with it.

Ithil

That had nothing to do with Dorne, however, I believe that week was going up against a US holiday, hence the big drop.

Gigglepoo

Shame Euron didn't just take Dragonstone. Stopping Cercei's enemy from taking a castle right outside King's Landing would have been a swell gift.

Google

Sorry if this has been answered already but why did The Hound not like the idea of that house?

Is there backstory there that I'm missing/forgotten?

Syrus

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered already but why did The Hound not like the idea of that house?

Is there backstory there that I'm missing/forgotten?

Season 5 him and arya stayed there and he stole the farmers silver and said they will die anyways.

Then they died but now hes more caring

Top Bottom