• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Launch Trailer | PS5 & PC Games

LMJ

Does anybody know if they've added anything, new gameplay, options etc?

If it's literally a one to one remake than $60 is way to high in my eyes as the OG still looks great today

nial

Don't worry,they can then start remaking the remasters.

They already have a precedent with PS5 TLOU Part 1 being a Remake of the PS4 Remastered version of the original PS3 version.

Greed...never underestimate it.
???????? I can always trust you guys to come up with the silliest ideas that no one else could ever think of, lol.
It's just a The Last of Us remake, which is first and foremost a PS3 game...
And this Until Dawn version is a remake, rather than a remaster, hence it not having a $10 upgrade path.

midnightAI

Zero Dawn remaster looks like it has more work put into it and has an upgrade path. Bizarre pricing here.
Nah, this has had more work as its a switch of engine, however, some scenes/shots I have seen look better in the original, may be an artistic choice but thats my opinion (Decima was a beast even back then)

FeralEcho

???????? I can always trust you guys to come up with the silliest ideas that no one else could ever think of, lol.
It's just a The Last of Us remake, which is first and foremost a PS3 game...
And this Until Dawn version is a remake, rather than a remaster, hence it not having a $10 upgrade path.
And I can always trust you guys to come to the defense of any criticism atributed to Sony.

I played all 3 versions of The Last of Us at each of their launches and yes I prefer the Remake but let's not act like it's some world apart difference here when all 3 games are built literally on the same template, there's no gameplay changes,story or cutscene changes like with let's say Resident Evil 4.

It's the exact same thing with a new coat of paint on 3 separate releases over an 8 year timeframe:

IJ49YZO.jpeg

It's overkill no matter how you look at it,the criticism is well justified when you don't look at it with rose tinted glasses.

FeralEcho

Tearaway Unfolded.

Neither was Until Dawn, really. Not like this particular (and rather pointless) attribute decreased the quality in either game.

I just told you that there's no such thing as 'remake of a remaster'.
Arguing over semantics now? Really?

Like,no shit,there's not an official "remake of a remaster" meaning but that doesn't mean it's not stupid to remake a game that just had it's remastered version of the original game 6-7 years earlier which was what my point was with my original post.

As I explained already...When the remake is just a fresh new coat of paint over the remaster which was already a fresh new coat of paint over the original game then it's what you'd call a remake of a remaster...in the end it's the same game with better graphics,regardless of how you call it.

But call it remake of the original if it makes you feel better, doesn't change the fact that Sony released 3 versions of the same game in 8 years.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
And I can always trust you guys to come to the defense of any criticism atributed to Sony.

I played all 3 versions of The Last of Us at each of their launches and yes I prefer the Remake but let's not act like it's some world apart difference here when all 3 games are built literally on the same template, there's no gameplay changes,story or cutscene changes like with let's say Resident Evil 4.

It's the exact same thing with a new coat of paint on 3 separate releases over an 8 year timeframe:

IJ49YZO.jpeg

It's overkill no matter how you look at it,the criticism is well justified when you don't look at it with rose tinted glasses.

I don't totally disagree with you, but I think there are factors you're actually ignoring. Also this particular frame is of a cutscene which I believe is pre-rendered on PS3.

Let's analyze

PS3 Version of Original (2013)
  • Not playable on PS4 or PS5
  • 720p30
PS4 Version of Remaster (2014)
  • Playable on PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5
  • 1080p60 (not a stable 60)
PS4 Pro Version of Remaster (2016)
  • Playable on PS4 Pro and PS5
  • 4K30, 1800p60 with low quality shadows (not entirely stable framerate), or 1080p60 high quality shadows

So while the PS4 Pro version of the remaster was playable on PS5 through BC mode, it was not playable on PC. Does it make sense to port the 2014 title to PC? If you're honest with yourself, it does not. Especially with hopes of gaining sales with the tv series. It made complete sense to remaster the game and then of course you're not just going to release this on PC, but PS5 as well.

Even a PS5 patch of the remastered game would still be a 2014 title.

Further when you think about people buying this game for years to come, your starting point is now a 2022 game rather than a remastered PS3 game... Every single season they release on HBO is going to bring new people to the game and they can start with that 2022 remake.

FeralEcho

I don't totally disagree with you, but I think there are factors you're actually ignoring. Also this particular frame is of a cutscene which I believe is pre-rendered on PS3.

Let's analyze

PS3 Version of Original (2013)
  • Not playable on PS4 or PS5
  • 720p30
PS4 Version of Remaster (2014)
  • Playable on PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5
  • 1080p60 (not a stable 60)
PS4 Pro Version of Remaster (2016)
  • Playable on PS4 Pro and PS5
  • 4K30, 1800p60 with low quality shadows (not entirely stable framerate), or 1080p60 high quality shadows

So while the PS4 Pro version of the remaster was playable on PS5 through BC mode, it was not playable on PC. Does it make sense to port the 2014 title to PC? If you're honest with yourself, it does not. Especially with hopes of gaining sales with the tv series. It made complete sense to remaster the game and then of course you're not just going to release this on PC, but PS5 as well.

Even a PS5 patch of the remastered game would still be a 2014 title.

Further when you think about people buying this game for years to come, your starting point is now a 2022 game rather than a remastered PS3 game... Every single season they release on HBO is going to bring new people to the game and they can start with that 2022 remake.
I agree with you in that regard,the PC version was clearly the main reason for doing the Remake. I personally never had an issue with the Remastered version on PS5 as it worked flawlessly in 60fps at high resolution. Ofc the Remake looks better but yeah my point was in regards to Sony taking advantage of the remake and remaster process of their games which TLOU is a bit of a posterchild for Remaking games too soon,even if they had their valid reasons for it as you explained.

nial

Arguing over semantics now? Really?

Like,no shit,there's not an official "remake of a remaster" meaning but that doesn't mean it's not stupid to remake a game that just had it's remastered version of the original game 6-7 years earlier which was what my point was with my original post.

As I explained already...When the remake is just a fresh new coat of paint over the remaster which was already a fresh new coat of paint over the original game then it's what you'd call a remake of a remaster...in the end it's the same game with better graphics,regardless of how you call it.

But call it remake of the original if it makes you feel better, doesn't change the fact that Sony released 3 versions of the same game in 8 years.
Stupid in what sense, though? In terms of sales? In terms of production workforce being used?
I mean, criticize it all you want, I think it's perfectly fine to do so, but not the point of having this autistic anger when it's been nothing new in gaming for decades. If the time frame is the major issue in TLOU, what's exactly the problem here in Until Dawn?

FeralEcho

Stupid in what sense, though? In terms of sales? In terms of production workforce being used?
I mean, criticize it all you want, I think it's perfectly fine to do so, but not the point of having this autistic anger when it's been nothing new in gaming for decades. If the time frame is the major issue in TLOU, what's exactly the problem here in Until Dawn?
It's stupid in the sense that it oversaturates the IP in a short timeframe. In 10 years we've gotten 2 TLOU games,2 remasters of the same game and 1 remake. Same thing is happening with Horizon right now. I get that it doesn't take much resources to do these ports but it still rubs me the wrong way that the rereleases are so frequent in a short time frame.

I understand the logistics behind doing a remake like TLOU,the release of the tv series,PC port etc. but in alot of people's eyes its just Sony focusing too much on just a couple games in their portfolio when they could remaster or remake stuff that needs it more.

And who's angry? No one here is angry about anything and please stop it with childish insults like autistic.

It's just people criticising a company for focusing too much on remasters and remakes.That's it. There's no hidden conspiracy here.

Why is it an issue for you if people criticise Sony or any other company for that matter? I personally call all 3 console makers on their shit whenever I don't agree with something they do. I'm a fan of all 3 and want them to do better and that won't happen if I kiss their ass 24/7.

At the end of the day,this is a gaming forum,people have opinions and are free to criticise companies when they feel like they deserve it.

If you don't agree then you can make your argument as to why that is or just move on.You don't have to engage in every argument you don't agree with then say people are autistic.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I agree with you in that regard,the PC version was clearly the main reason for doing the Remake. I personally never had an issue with the Remastered version on PS5 as it worked flawlessly in 60fps at high resolution. Ofc the Remake looks better but yeah my point was in regards to Sony taking advantage of the remake and remaster process of their games which TLOU is a bit of a posterchild for Remaking games too soon,even if they had their valid reasons for it as you explained.

I think the other factor that is largely ignored is that it's a great way to onboard new/junior staff and get them up to speed on your tech and gets teams to mature together.

Sony unlike most companies largely uses its own engines for its games, which means staff and contractors have to get up to speed with working on these engines compared to say Unreal Engine.

At the end of the day, it's a win win for everyone. The only people who act mad about this are the people that have convinced themselves that brand new games would be out faster if they weren't doing remasters, but it just doesn't fit with reality. If anything it's probably speeding up game development and we saw that with Uncharted 4 after TLOU Remaster on PS4.

The average tenure at Naughty Dog is 2.9 years... When games take 5+ years to develop, that's not super long. It means while they have their veterans they have a ton of new employees. Their headcount has grown 10% in the last 6 months on LinkedIn.

So let's stop to look at the release schedule, they'd be foolish to release any games in 2025. Sony already has Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Yotei and you'll have GTA6 out there as well.

It's better to give ND more time to cook and have them release in 2026, especially with a larger consumer base.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm curious as to why they're treating this release differently than Zero Dawn, with both the price or lack of $10 upgrade.

Horizon is a remaster and this game is a remake built not in Decima but in Unreal Engine 5 and by a completely different team.

They're putting the remaster out in hopes that people replay the game or buy the game for the first time and then jump into Forbidden West. You also have a bunch of kids that will probably get Lego Horizon for the first time and might pursue this in the future or their parents will.

Until Dawn they're hoping for some Halloween sales, which is probably why this game is being pushed out in the shape its in. You'll have the movie release next year, and they'll hope they get additional sales at probably a more reasonable price.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to why they're treating this release differently than Zero Dawn, with both the price or lack of $10 upgrade.

They consider this a complete remake on a new engine (UE5) and not a remaster

That's the reason. But still $60 is too much

I think $30 would have been a good upgrade path price

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I think the other factor that is largely ignored is that it's a great way to onboard new/junior staff and get them up to speed on your tech and gets teams to mature together.

Sony unlike most companies largely uses its own engines for its games, which means staff and contractors have to get up to speed with working on these engines compared to say Unreal Engine.

At the end of the day, it's a win win for everyone. The only people who act mad about this are the people that have convinced themselves that brand new games would be out faster if they weren't doing remasters, but it just doesn't fit with reality. If anything it's probably speeding up game development and we saw that with Uncharted 4 after TLOU Remaster on PS4.

The average tenure at Naughty Dog is 2.9 years... When games take 5+ years to develop, that's not super long. It means while they have their veterans they have a ton of new employees. Their headcount has grown 10% in the last 6 months on LinkedIn.

So let's stop to look at the release schedule, they'd be foolish to release any games in 2025. Sony already has Death Stranding 2 and Ghost of Yotei and you'll have GTA6 out there as well.

It's better to give ND more time to cook and have them release in 2026, especially with a larger consumer base.
While I agree with you about these remasters being used to get new team members up to speed with the tools and hardware and that is very much true in alot of cases,I think you're a bit wrong about people being mad that it takes manpower away from new games,some might believe that sure,but for many,myself included it's just a constant dissapointment that they choose relatively new franchises instead of something that would deserve it more,say a Bloodborne remaster or a Killzone 2 remake or Infamous 1 or 2 Remake or a God of War 1 remake etc.

So it's frustration when you know nixxes is doing a PC/PS5 remaster and it's a game already available on PS5 that came out just 7 years ago like the Horizon Remaster. Sure Until Dawn is older than that and in that regard it makes more sense to give it an upgrade but it's the same frustration that it could've been something more deserving.(This is more of a subjective view for each individual as I'm sure for some fans the Until Dawn Remaster might be the best thing)

Vick

Gold Member
I feel sorry because I believe this might be the second time today that I come in "defense" of some PlayStation stuff from you.. but, The Last of Us is a PS3 game.

I can fully understand being skeptical of remaking visuals of PS4 games like Spider-Man, Until Dawn or Horizon.. I honesly think that's borderline retarded as well.

But TLOU receiving a PS4 port a couple of months after its PS3 version doesn't change the fact it's a PS3 game. And remaking PS3 games like Demon's Souls or The Last of Us, especially when developing a PC verison out of it at the same time, isn't just something I understand, but cherish.

there's no gameplay changes,story or cutscene changes like with let's say Resident Evil 4.
And thank God there aren't.

The Last of US is a perfect game just like OG RE4 is, and as someone who hated countless changes in RE4R any alteration to TLOU aside from improving visuals (while respecting artwork), improving animation blending, improving AI and providing quality of life improvements, extras and new modes like Speed Run, would only achieve pissing off hardcore fans like me.
All the more considering the serious fear many of us had in regards to Druckmann changing things in the original.

I genuinely couldn't be any more grateful my favorite game of all time received such a perfect remake. Not a botched job, not a questionable improvement with things here and there done better in the OG like basically every Remaster ever, but a faithful, tasteful visual generational overhaul from the same people who made the original, perfect in every way. Would legit pay a thousand dollars to see Drake's Fortune receiving a similar Remake.

IJ49YZO.jpeg
And that is one screenshot (of a pre-rendered scene). You could have posted these instead:

i78pbex.png

qIYXeC7.png

1A.png

And a billion others.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
While I agree with you about these remasters being used to get new team members up to speed with the tools and hardware and that is very much true in alot of cases,I think you're a bit wrong about people being mad that it takes manpower away from new games,some might believe that sure,but for many,myself included it's just a constant dissapointment that they choose relatively new franchises instead of something that would deserve it more,say a Bloodborne remaster or a Killzone 2 remake or Infamous 1 or 2 Remake or a God of War 1 remake etc.

So it's frustration when you know nixxes is doing a PC/PS5 remaster and it's a game already available on PS5 that came out just 7 years ago like the Horizon Remaster. Sure Until Dawn is older than that and in that regard it makes more sense to give it an upgrade but it's the same frustration that it could've been something more deserving.(This is more of a subjective view for each individual as I'm sure for some fans the Until Dawn Remaster might be the best thing)

So let's tackle the choice of franchises.

Let's focus on the franchises that you mentioned

• Bloodborne
    • It was made by an external company who is busy with Elden Ring. You could have Bluepoint do a remake or remaster, but if they already started another project after Demon's Souls, it's going to take them some time to get to Bloodborne
  • Killzone 2
    • They've tried to push the Killzone franchise for over a decade, without a great deal of success ultimately. I think Killzone has potential especially with a PC release, but it would have to have GaaS multiplayer components. It's a much larger project and Guerrilla is focused on their Horizon trilogy, which has sold significantly better than Killzone. Horizon Zero Dawn outsold Killzone 2 by a factor of 10...
  • Infamous 1 or 2
    • Infamous isn't a big selling franchise. Ghost has outsold it by a factor of 6.5. It would be entirely inappropriate to spend any resources remastering or remaking inFamous. You don't even have a GaaS component here
    • You'd need a movie or a show to push this and with super hero fatigue setting in a bit, it's not a great gamble
  • God of War
    • I think the God of War games are definitely set to be remade, but there are a lot of challenges involved here as well, the tone and style of the original games compared to the new games couldn't be more different
    • I expect we'll see some movement here when the God of War tv show gets traction, we don't even have a cast for it yet
    • Santa Monica is stretched thin working on an original IP in addition to having just finished Ragnarok recently
So when you look at doing a remaster or remake you only have a few options

Handle it internally at the original studio, farm it out to another internal studio, farm it out to an external studio.

If you look at Ballistic Moon, you have a perfect example of this, in a studio that probably came to Sony asking to do Until Dawn, made from former Supermassive devs.

Sony's studios have their hands full and we have no idea what Bluepoint is working on. Rumors suggest they're working on two projects. One of them could very well be Bloodborne.

I think we have to pay a lot of attention to Bluepoint and Nixxes, but they're just not able to pump games out fast enough, but the games they've chosen make complete sense.

nial

It's stupid in the sense that it oversaturates the IP in a short timeframe. In 10 years we've gotten 2 TLOU games,2 remasters of the same game and 1 remake. Same thing is happening with Horizon right now. I get that it doesn't take much resources to do these ports but it still rubs me the wrong way that the rereleases are so frequent in a short time frame.
Eh, oversaturation to the point in which demand and general interest for the series starts to decrease each and each title? I really doubt your average non-hardcore game notices (or cares about) this, at all. Horizon may have more ground for this argument, but NOT in the re-release talking point; HZD is getting a remaster about 8 years after the original release, not so different from TLOU PS3 > TLOU PS5.
Kinda off-topic, but I don't get how anyone who's been gaming for this long could actually think there's too much Horizon. Like how? Even within Sony, this does not compare at all to Ape Escape or God of War at the peak of their milking.
I understand the logistics behind doing a remake like TLOU,the release of the tv series,PC port etc. but in alot of people's eyes its just Sony focusing too much on just a couple games in their portfolio when they could remaster or remake stuff that needs it more.
Yeah, but I don't think you can't really complain about coats of paint if you personally want them as well. I would love a Gravity Rush remake for example (PS Vita game that was remastered on PS4, same console gen, btw), not sure how reasonable would it be for me to hate on TLOU Part 1.
And who's angry? No one here is angry about anything and please stop it with childish insults like autistic.
Ok, didn't mean it to you, but it's exactly how I would describe the current sentiment in social media.
It's just people criticising a company for focusing too much on remasters and remakes.That's it. There's no hidden conspiracy here.

Why is it an issue for you if people criticise Sony or any other company for that matter? I personally call all 3 console makers on their shit whenever I don't agree with something they do. I'm a fan of all 3 and want them to do better and that won't happen if I kiss their ass 24/7.
I literally said it's fine to do so, but I personally don't get the anger these re-releases provoke on people when they have been a thing for so long. Heck, we currently have it much better when we don't have to spend another $60 to being able to play TLOU on PS4.
Weirdly enough, I very rarely see people complaining about Nintendo re-releases; they're literally launching the fourth version of Donkey Kong Country Returns in January.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I can fully understand being skeptical of remaking visuals of PS4 games like Spider-Man, Until Dawn or Horizon.. I honesly think that's borderline retarded as well.

Imagine the PR nightmare and the uproar if these games came to PC looking like they do but Ps5 got nothing... Now imagine putting them out as is like they largely did for Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy... and you see the poor reception it got on PC.

Last edited:

Esca

Still have the original when it came out. Played it multiple times with friends, usually around this time of the year. It still looks great. I'll grab this remake or whatever when it hits $15 for the PC

Shin-Ra

I think a lot more PS4 players would have defended and purchased this at close-to launch price if it was still exclusive. Nintendo often does less with rereleases but the exclusivity adds value.

Despite the remade visuals this feels like another also-ran PC rerelease.

yurinka

I loved it in PS4. If you or your (maybe non-gamer) couple like the slayer movies that start with some horny young people travelling to a cabin in the woods, this is for you.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Mainly Horizon here.

There seems to be a big disconnect between core PS fans and the reality that Horizon sells really well.

Sony is trying to build this into a major IP. They took a major blow due to the show getting canceled.

But the Horizon online game/mmorpg (I believe these were two different games) both had a lot of potential when you consider the gameplay of this franchise and the fact that its a technical marvel.

FeralEcho

I feel sorry because I believe this might be the second time today that I come in "defense" of some PlayStation stuff from you.. but, The Last of Us is a PS3 game.

But TLOU receiving a PS4 port a couple of months after its PS3 version doesn't change the fact it's a PS3 game. And remaking PS3 games like Demon's Souls or The Last of Us, especially when developing a PC verison out of it at the same time, isn't just something I understand, but cherish.

And thank God there aren't.

The Last of US is a perfect game just like OG RE4 is, and as someone who hated countless changes in RE4R any alteration to TLOU aside from improving visuals (while respecting artwork), improving animation blending, improving AI and providing quality of life improvements, extras and new modes like Speed Run, would only achieve pissing off hardcore fans like me.
All the more considering the serious fear many of us had in regards to Druckmann changing things in the original.

I genuinely couldn't be any more grateful my favorite game of all time received such a perfect remake. Not a botched job, not a questionable improvement with things here and there done better in the OG like basically every Remaster ever, but a faithful, tasteful visual generational overhaul from the same people who made the original, perfect in every way. Would legit pay a thousand dollars to see Drake's Fortune receiving a similar Remake.

And that is one screenshot (of a pre-rendered scene). You could have posted these instead:

i78pbex.png

qIYXeC7.png

1A.png

And a billion others.

I literally said in my post the remake does look best and I prefer it but when talking about a franchise that wasn't even 10 years old when the remake was announced I wasn't exactly jumping in excitement to play it considering how many other franchises could have benefited from a Remake or even being available on the PS5 in the first place whereas The Last of Us Remastered was already available in 4k 60 fps on PS5.

You missed the entire context of my post!

My point with that comparisson picture and comparing it to RE4 Remake was to show to Nial why I called it a remake of a remaster since he found that laughable,it had nothing to do with visuals being better or not,like no shit the visuals would be improved in a remake.

My point was that the fundamentals,the very core of the game was the exact same, it's the same cutscene direction,the exact same story beats,same areas,same mechanics etc. Just the visuals changed whereas with RE4 Remake,while the core of the game is preserved there's many changes that diferentiate itself from the original,to the point where playing those two games are entirely different experiences which is not something you can say about the TLOU Remake.

Has nothing to do with me wanting it to not be a 1:1 remake of the game either,I prefer when things are like that versus an RE4 situation where for example I still prefer the original over it due to the changes in the remake. My point was that in 10 years Sony released the exact same version of a game 3 times with the only difference being a different cote of paint hence calling it "a remake of a remaster"

Context matters.

Vick

Gold Member
I literally said in my post the remake does look best and I prefer it but when talking about a franchise that wasn't even 10 years old when the remake was announced I wasn't exactly jumping in excitement to play it considering how many other franchises could have benefited from a Remake or even being available on the PS5 in the first place whereas The Last of Us Remastered was already available in 4k 60 fps on PS5.

You missed the entire context of my post!
I simply disagree. I'm the kind of guy who spent hours once a week for 14 years on Albert Marin website providing feedback for RE4 HD Project.. I love well made visuals overhaul of my favorite games. Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition Update 10 is maybe tied with Astro Bot as my favorite release of 2024..

On PC it's easy, you buy new hardware and the technical characteristics of your favorite games automatically improve. Resolutions increase and so does framerate. You don't like something? You install Mods, or even create Mods, you use ReShade..

On Console? Nothing.
Unless a dev goes there and patch, you are stuck with the same exact game, every single facet of it.

The only solution to this? Is what gamers are rabidly complaining about.

My point was that in 10 years Sony released the exact same version of a game 3 times with the only difference being a different cote of paint hence calling it "a remake of a remaster"

Context matters.
The words "Remaster" and "Remake" are meaningless, entirely fluid and interchangeable on a case-by-case basis.
When it started to be adopted at the start of the One/PS4 gen it was borrowed by the Home-Video world. There, it simply meant bringing DVD-era Masters to full and real HD, increasing definition by scanning better sources like 35mm negatives and improving visual aspects of it, from color grading, to contrast, to black levels, and bring the whole presentation closer to the theatrical release. A Remaster never meant reshooting the movie, improving VFX, or recording new voice overs.
The Last of Us: Remastered was spot on as a classification, likely because ND as movie buffs knew what Remaster meant. It was exacltly that, increased resolution and framerate, minor visual adjustments, same assets, same game.

Fast forward a decade, Remaster has now a completely different meaning in gaming. And how would you call a new completely reworked TLOU, with new assets, every single texture remade, new character models, PBR, and countless others generational improvements it got?
The Last of Us: Deluxe Remaster? The Last of Us: Remake? The Last of Us: Part I.

Whatever you call it, I'm glad it exists. And it's my most played and replayed piece of software released this Gen.

FeralEcho

I simply disagree. I'm the kind of guy who spent hours once a week for 14 years on Albert Marin website providing feedback for RE4 HD Project.. I love well made visuals overhaul of my favorite games. Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition Update 10 is maybe tied with Astro Bot as my favorite release of 2024..

On PC it's easy, you buy new hardware and the technical characteristics of your favorite games automatically improve. Resolutions increase and so does framerate. You don't like something? You install Mods, or even create Mods, you use ReShade..

On Console? Nothing.
Unless a dev goes there and patch, you are stuck with the same exact game, every single facet of it.

The only solution to this? Is what gamers are rabidly complaining about.

The words "Remaster" and "Remake" are meaningless, entirely fluid and interchangeable on a case-by-case basis.
When it started to be adopted at the start of the One/PS4 gen it was borrowed by the Home-Video world. There, it simply meant bringing DVD-era Masters to full and real HD, increasing definition by scanning better sources like 35mm negatives and improving visual aspects of it, from color grading, to contrast, to black levels, and bring the whole presentation closer to the theatrical release. A Remaster never meant reshooting the movie, improving VFX, or recording new voice overs.
The Last of Us: Remastered was spot on as a classification, likely because ND as movie buffs knew what Remaster meant. It was exacltly that, increased resolution and framerate, minor visual adjustments, same assets, same game.

Fast forward a decade, Remaster has now a completely different meaning in gaming. And how would you call a new completely reworked TLOU, with new assets, every single texture remade, new character models, PBR, and countless others generational improvements it got?
The Last of Us: Deluxe Remaster? The Last of Us: Remake? The Last of Us: Part I.

Whatever you call it, I'm glad it exists. And it's my most played and replayed piece of software released this Gen.
Ok, let's put it this way...You said you cherished the Demon's Souls Remake,so hypothetical,let's say you had to choose between The Last of Us Remake and the Demon's Souls Remake,just hypothetical,since we did get both in the end but would you feel as strongly about getting The Last Of Us Remake when the Remastered version is completely playable on PS5 in higher res and framerate already if it meant you wouldn't get Demon's Souls because of it and it would've remained stuck on PS3 in favor of an even more graphically enhanced version(Remake) of the already available TLOU Remastered on PS5???

Now do you understand why some people might be dissapointed in Sony remastering and remaking games like TLOU or Horizon for having perfectly playable PS5 versions of the game while stuff like Bloodborne or Driveclub are stuck at 1080p30 on PS4 and stuff like Motorstorm,Killzone,Infamous or LBP franchises are stuck on PS3??? Do you understand that frustration? And sure you could say " oh but these games won't sell as much as TLOU or Horizon" to which I would say why does the Until Dawn Remaster exist then? Or Shadow of the Colossus Remake?

It's not like these games will do insane numbers yet they got remasters and remakes. And don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning their existence here as SOTC Remake is one of my favourite games of all time as is the Demon's Souls Remake and made Bluepoint into one of my fav devs,just using those examples to show Sony is not afraid of releasing remasters or remakes of games that might not sell 10's of millions.

So with all that being said, would you still prefer a perfectly playable PS4 game that already works on PS5 getting the remaster or remake treatment like let's say TLOU2 or Days Gone or would you instead prefer a franchise stuck on PS3 coming back remastered or remade for PS5 finally becoming playable again after 20 years of absence?

I know which one I'd pick...and that's the whole point of people's dissapointment with Sony's remastering process, it's that most feel unnecessary and there are games more deserving of that process that aren't even available on PS5,instead we get more Uncharted,TLOU and Horizon remasters.

How can it be confusing to people as to why some people are dissapointed by this is baffling to me. Even if you really like these games to bits it's really not that hard to see why some people would prefer remasters of games that aren't yet available on PS5 and are expressing their dissapointment in Sony for remastering yet another perfectly playable game on PS5.

I know which one I'd pick...and that's the whole point of people's dissapointment with Sony's remastering process, it's that most feel unnecessary and there are games more deserving of that process that aren't even available on PS5,instead we get more Uncharted,TLOU and Horizon remasters.
Where you get that most people feel its unnecessary?

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
My point was that the fundamentals,the very core of the game was the exact same, it's the same cutscene direction,the exact same story beats,same areas,same mechanics etc. Just the visuals changed whereas with RE4 Remake,while the core of the game is preserved there's many changes that diferentiate itself from the original,to the point where playing those two games are entirely different experiences which is not something you can say about the TLOU Remake.

The reason RE games have been so well received is that RE games had absolutely broken gameplay on PS1 with their tank controls. They were bad then and largely built around the pre-rendered backgrounds. That doesn't mean only games with broken gameplay deserve to be remade. The reality is that a lot of people simply won't play games from previous generations, especially without the arcade like nostalgia behind them.

On Console? Nothing.

The only solution to this? Is what gamers

Exactly. When it comes to big expensive single-player AAA games, the best way to keep them alive is to remaster them. It's one of the only ways to keep these games relevant in an era ruled by live service games. There will probably never be a TLOU Part 4. It'll almost certainly end with a trilogy.

That's not great news for Sony compared to a game like Mario that has existed for 40 years and has no semblance of a real story.

That's why God of War moved from Greek to Norse. That's why Ghost moved from Tsushima to Yotei, to keep these games going throughout time. TLOU and Uncharted are in tighter spots, especially TLOU.

The only franchise Sony has from the PS1 era is Gran Turismo. That says a lot. Unlike Tomb Raider which was successfully rebooted in the PS3 generation, Sony elected to move on to new franchises. I think there is some potential to revisit some of these franchises, but you've got to be able to sustain them and remasters help do exactly that.

Concerning there are no reviews yet.

There are massive concerns surrounding this game and the bit I've seen of it does not look good. I watched maybe the first half hour. It looks very much like a PS3 game with a glossy coat of paint covering it and not glossy in a good way.

• Review embargo for the day before or the day of
  • 60 dollar price tag
  • Layoffs before the game even launched
  • Nearly zero marketing for the game including being left off the State of Play one week before release

It's interesting that Sony really struggles to change course. They should have delayed Concord. They should have delayed this game, fixed the visuals, added VR, dropped the price to 40 dollars with an upgrade path for existing owners. Ultimately, they don't believe in the game and just want to let it kind of pass by. I totally expect a game in the 60s or 70s here.

Now do you understand why some people might be dissapointed in Sony remastering and remaking games like TLOU or Horizon for having perfectly playable PS5 versions of the game while stuff like Bloodborne or Driveclub are stuck at 1080p30 on PS4 and stuff like Motorstorm,Killzone,Infamous or LBP franchises are stuck on PS3??? Do you understand that frustration? And sure you could say " oh but these games won't sell as much as TLOU or Horizon" to which I would say why does the Until Dawn Remaster exist then? Or Shadow of the Colossus Remake?

It's not like these games will do insane numbers yet they got remasters and remakes. And don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning their existence here as SOTC Remake is one of my favourite games of all time as is the Demon's Souls Remake and made Bluepoint into one of my fav devs,just using those examples to show Sony is not afraid of releasing remasters or remakes of games that might not sell 10's of millions.

It's honestly crazy that you think they would remaster driveclub or motrostorm when those studios are no longer related to sony, that bloodborne was not made by sony, infamous did not sell well.

Ask yourself why Media Molecule didn't make LBP3.

The team at ballistic probably wanted to take a stab at Until Dawn and the movie tie in made it a compelling option.

Fumito Ueda and Team ICO were still apart of PlayStation at the time of the SOTC remake and the ICO and SOTC remaster.

Top Bottom