• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaz

Agreed on this Global Shipping Program. The whole bloody thing is a scam. Sometimes packages get through without customs charges and I suspect that they just keep the charges.

Amazon US is so much better. They charge me the fee in advance but then reimburse it if there wasn't any cost incurred.

Can you buy video games from Amazon US though? Last time I tried I was barred from buying one even after a lengthy negotiation with the seller. The Amazon webpage showed me a list of stuff that I was forbidden to buy from the US, and used videogames was amongst them. (along with food, alcohol, guns, etc.)

Timu

this game looks amazing, haha
I used to play that in the arcade, and then it got a Sega Genesis port which is one of the worst ports ever made.

It had a spiritual sequel called Blood Storm which played much better than Time Killers and was even gorier.

D.Lo

I had some issues with sync on my 60Hz modded Mega Drive 2 on some games, I adjusted the sync level on the Framemeister, which I've never had to do before.

So weird, all other consoles sync fine anywhere on the scale except the extremes, the MD needed to go to 25/30 to be stable on the problem games.

baphomet

So after a week of waiting my order for the Sync Strike has finally shipped and it's suppose to come next week.

For what its worth my supergun also came from him. I received it in the mail the same day I got the email with the tracking number.

Timu

For what its worth my supergun also came from him. I received it in the mail the same day I got the email with the tracking number.
Wow really? That's pretty neat, hope things go well for me, also a supergun??? I didn't know they sold this until recently, I would like to get one of those in case I pick up a arcade pcb on ebay.

BONKERS

Asked in the SNES thread too but...

For anyone who has done the component SNES mod with a TRRS jack, can you point me to someone online I can buy these jacks? I been looking all day online and came up with nothing.

Was it you, Hal64?

Why not just get RGB and then transcode it? From what i've heard YPbPr out from the SNES is not worth the time and headache.

Peagles

Why not just get RGB and then transcode it? From what i've heard YPbPr out from the SNES is not worth the time and headache.

I already use RGB and have a transcoder somewhere too, but I want to do component mods on my spare SNESs (not for my own use). It's actually a very basic mod, but finding a panel mount TRRS jack is proving to be surprisingly hard. I could do the mod in a few minutes if I can find the jack.

HaL64

I already use RGB and have a transcoder somewhere too, but I want to do component mods on my spare SNESs (not for my own use). It's actually a very basic mod, but finding a panel mount TRRS jack is proving to be surprisingly hard. I could do the mod in a few minutes if I can find the jack.

It's HERE

It says TRS, but its actually TRRS.

Peagles

I can order them and ship them for much less than that if you decide you really need them.

Thanks. I'll do a bit more local searching but if I turn up nothing I may have to take you up on this. The stores seem to have tons of mono (2 pole) and stereo (3 pole) jacks but no 4 pole ones, but I've emailed a query to Jaycar (one of the local electronics chains) so I'll see what they come back with. Even eBay doesn't seem to have them which is weird.

Peltz

Speaking of which... it's it hard to use a supergun and swap out PCBs for someone who doesn't solder or have much experience with modding and other related skills?

I don't really have space for it (at the moment), but it seems like such a cool thing to aspire to someday - owning/preserving arcade/playing arcade PCBs.

Maybe one day.

Wow really? That's pretty neat, hope things go well for me, also a supergun??? I didn't know they sold this until recently, I would like to get one of those in case I pick up a arcade pcb on ebay.
I too am interested in the Supergun thing-- I really need to look into this and what it all entails. It seems to be the rage nowadays.

robot

Speaking of which... it's it hard to use a supergun and swap out PCBs for someone who doesn't solder or have much experience with modding and other related skills?

I don't really have space for it (at the moment), but it seems like such a cool thing to aspire to someday - owning/preserving arcade/playing arcade PCBs.

Maybe one day.

In short, PCBs are plug n play when it comes to superguns/arcades and jamma harnesses. There are a lot of "buts" though depending on what kind of boards you are interested in collecting. Things like voltages and adapters come into play depending on what game you want.

It can get to be a very expensive hobby too, just be careful!

Peltz

In short, PCBs are plug n play when it comes to superguns/arcades and jamma harnesses. There are a lot of "buts" though depending on what kind of boards you are interested in collecting. Things like voltages and adapters come into play depending on what game you want.

It can get to be a very expensive hobby too, just be careful!

I figured as such. This stuff can't be cheap, but I've been known to pay a premium on occasion for some rare carts, and this isn't much different from that.

How do you store exposed PCBs to prevent them from getting harmed by the elements? I assume you can't just toss them in a closet and call it a day. But then again, maybe they're more durable than I suspect. Carts are pretty durable, but they get dirty and refuse to boot without a good cleaning at times. So I imagine boards can get finicky with age as well.

robot

I figured as such. This stuff can't be cheap, but I've been known to pay a premium on occasion for some rare carts, and this isn't much different from that.

How do you store exposed PCBs to prevent them from getting harmed by the elements? I assume you can't just toss them in a closet and call it a day. But then again, maybe they're more durable than I suspect. Carts are pretty durable, but they get dirty and refuse to boot without a good cleaning at times. So I imagine boards can get finicky with age as well.

I keep mine wrapped in anti-static bubble bags and then stored in medium size USPS boxes. With the exception of stuff like CPS2, F3, MVS, etc, everything on the board is exposed so they're very very fragile. Couple that with the price tag, you wind up treating them like they're museum pieces.

Boards go anywhere from $40 - $400. I've seen Cave shmups go for more, but the usual stuff is in that range - usually closer to the $100 - $150 range.

If you're into SNK or Capcom games, MVS or CPS2 are great starter boards to collect since they're reasonably priced for the most part and enclosed in plastic cases (like carts). If you're into shmups, good luck - some of those games get crazy expensive/hard to find. Also, I wouldn't use ebay as a price guage - I've seen games listed for $250 that can be had for $60 (much like the cart market).

Peltz

I keep mine wrapped in anti-static bubble bags and then stored in medium size USPS boxes. With the exception of stuff like CPS2, F3, MVS, etc, everything on the board is exposed so they're very very fragile. Couple that with the price tag, you wind up treating them like they're museum pieces.

Boards go anywhere from $40 - $400. I've seen Cave shmups go for more, but the usual stuff is in that range - usually closer to the $100 - $150 range.

If you're into SNK or Capcom games, MVS or CPS2 are great starter boards to collect since they're reasonably priced for the most part and enclosed in plastic cases (like carts). If you're into shmups, good luck - some of those games get crazy expensive/hard to find. Also, I wouldn't use ebay as a price guage - I've seen games listed for $250 that can be had for $60 (much like the cart market).

CPS2 and Neo Geo MVS would definitely be my first boards if I ever got into setting up a JAMMA system. I'll probably not buy one any time soon, but for education purposes, where are some places to buy prebuilt superguns that can take CPS2 and Neo Geo MVS boards? I understand that the JAMMA standard is just a 3 button setup. So the supergun would need to adhere to JAMMA+, right?

Who makes those?

robot

CPS2 and Neo Geo MVS would definitely be my first boards if I ever got into setting up a JAMMA system. I'll probably not buy one any time soon, but for education purposes, where are some places to buy prebuilt superguns that can take CPS2 and Neo Geo MVS boards? I understand that the JAMMA standard is just a 3 button setup. So the supergun would need to adhere to JAMMA+, right?

Who makes those?

Sent you a lengthy PM!

Can you buy video games from Amazon US though? Last time I tried I was barred from buying one even after a lengthy negotiation with the seller. The Amazon webpage showed me a list of stuff that I was forbidden to buy from the US, and used videogames was amongst them. (along with food, alcohol, guns, etc.)
I haven't bought for a while since I started buying digital downloads, but if you buy direct from Amazon (not marketplace sellers), I believe Amazon will ship to you. I don;t think they ship consoles though. Here are some games I bought:

Mario Kart 7
Mario 3D Land
Zelda OOT 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions
NSMB 2

...all for 3DS, directly from Amazon.com with no issues. Alternatively, there are some very friendly members here that like to help out the international community, so feel free to post in the BST thread.

STG!

It's pretty simple stuff to be honest, and doing a little homework about the game you're looking at buying is a good way to start off. Look at PCB's that don't have suicide batteries or nasty leaky capacitors, as those boards is where having a little soldering experience helps save you some bucks.

But there's people out there that can do those services for you if it's over your head.

When you get the space, I'd absolutely explore it, as like Bar81 said the best part about going RGB is that it opens the doors for a proper supergun setup. It's certainly one of the main reasons I did it years ago!

Khaz

I haven't bought for a while since I started buying digital downloads, but if you buy direct from Amazon (not marketplace sellers), I believe Amazon will ship to you. I don;t think they ship consoles though.

Oh, I didn't know about Amazon directly. But yes, they prevent sellers from sending video games abroad. This is the message they give me when I try to use my European address:

The following types of items can’t be shipped to buyers outside the U.S.: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cust...topnav_help?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201505270&pop-up=1

I know I will have to enlist a nice gaffer to help me with my NTSC collection, between Amazon restrictions and eBay GSP scam it's like America doesn't want me to play their games :(

antibolo

Banned
Have you tried amazon.ca?

Amazon's video game import restrictions are pretty random. One time I imported a game from Europe, I found that amazon.fr wouldn't ship to me, but amazon.co.uk gladly did.

This may not be the right thread, but I'm wondering if I should play PS2 games on my PVM in 480i, or on PS3 with its upscaler? I imagine if it's a 3D game it'll look better upscaled. Just curious.

Jamix012

This may not be the right thread, but I'm wondering if I should play PS2 games on my PVM in 480i, or on PS3 with its upscaler? I imagine if it's a 3D game it'll look better upscaled. Just curious.

PS3 does make things look a bit nicer but you'll be facing quite a bit of lag with not only the PS3 upscaler but moving from a PVM to a modern TV.

BONKERS

For PS2 games, you are definitely better off with the original hardware imo.

Or PCSX2, haven't tested it in a long time though, getting vsync is a pain and input lag is a real problem from what I remember

antibolo

Banned

Your question is a bit ambiguous, are you going to use a real PS2 on your PVM? Or that same PS3? If the former then I'd say PVM, definitely, you'll have real hardware and zero lag. If not, I'd say it's not worth it, might as well use the upscaler.

No, everything looks like blurry dog shit upscaled next to a CRT that displays it in cut-your-eyes-open native resolution sharpness.

antibolo

Banned
if it's a 60 gig launch ps3, they have built in hardware for ps2 compatibility... i dont think they are emulating anything, are they?

It has real PS2 hardware components but it's still not a perfect reproduction, many games have issues. A real PS2 is still better, apart from having no HDMI upscaler.

Your question is a bit ambiguous, are you going to use a real PS2 on your PVM? Or that same PS3? If the former then I'd say PVM, definitely, you'll have real hardware and zero lag. If not, I'd say it's not worth it, might as well use the upscaler.

Sorry, I have a real PS2 currently hooked up to my PVM for use with PS1 games, I also have one of the launch 60 gig PS3s, but that's on my LCD in the living room.

I appreciate everyone's input, it seems like I'll just use the PS2 on the PVM. The only bad thing about it is I don't have a good way of getting decent sound out of it right now. I could probably rig something up but I'm lazy and will probably just stick with the mono speaker.

It's a shame that the PS3 wants to upscale everything. If it could run everything at its native resolution, the 60 gig BC model would be the only thing you ever needed.

Ehh, I'm considering taking the plunge on the XRGB Mini, but I'm still fuzzy on how I would connect my PSOne to it.

From what I read, I would need a Japanese PSOne SCART cable, right? But does the SCART cable go directly to the XRGB Mini or would I need some sort of converter box between it and the console?

Mercutio

Ehh, I'm considering taking the plunge on the XRGB Mini, but I'm still fuzzy on how I would connect my PSOne to it.

From what I read, I would need a Japanese PSOne SCART cable, right? But does the SCART cable go directly to the XRGB Mini or would I need some sort of converter box between it and the console?

The XRGB Mini has a funky little RGB connector on the front, and includes a converter cable that takes Japanese RGB 21 SCART. You should only need to buy a Japanese RGB 21 SCART cable for your PS1.

Make sure it's not a Euro SCART though, the pin layout is different.

The XRGB Mini has a funky little RGB connector on the front, and includes a converter cable that takes Japanese RGB 21 SCART. You should only need to buy a Japanese RGB 21 SCART cable for your PS1.

Make sure it's not a Euro SCART though, the pin layout is different.

Cool. Thanks. =)

Well, no, you can buy a European SCART cable; you just need to buy a separate SCART-to-DIN adapter for the XRGB-Mini, since the adapter included is JP21-to-DIN. SCART and JP21 have the same physical connectors, but the pins are different, a fact that could actually cause irreparable damage to XRGB-3s if you mixed the two up (not Minis; they accounted for that issue with that model, you'll just get no signal).

Jamix012

if it's a 60 gig launch ps3, they have built in hardware for ps2 compatibility... i dont think they are emulating anything, are they?

There's still 3 frames of lag. I use a BC PS3 just because It saves me a component input and a nice amount of space, but for any high action games you're gonna feel the input lag.

I'm #TeamCRT and wear my bias on my sleeve but PS3's BC should only be a last resort.

Eh I disagree with this. My PS2 collection is basically 80% turn based RPGs or other games that require no significant input timing (like Escape from Monkey Island.) It's definitely the best option for me.

StevieWhite

Hey guys - new member here. Recently captured some Dragon Force footage (upscaled to 720p by my Framemeister) with my Elgato. Pretty pleased with the result.

I know it has been stated before in this thread, but as long as you are playing a game that maintains a constant resolution, the Framemeister really breathes new life into those old Saturn games. I'm glad I held on to them.

Mercutio

So my SCART switcher came!

I bought this unit based on this:

http://www.videogameperfection.com/2014/06/29/silverscreen-trilogy-review/

There's not a ton of information about it, but they seem to be highly coveted by people on the shmups forum. My friend in Scotland was kind enough to buy it from a local seller, and then send it on to me.

IMAG0169_zpsng7gqozm.jpg

IMAG0170_zpszhqu9ruw.jpg

I don't have all the cabling yet for it, but hopefully soon.

And here's the guts, for anyone interested.

IMAG0172_zpsmb21mewj.jpg

Peltz

So, after months of research and following this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an xrgb mini. It's on it's way!

I just want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge with me thus far. This is one of the best threads out there about IQ from old consoles, and it's all thanks to you fine people.

So, about connecting a DC to the XRGB Mini... what's considered the optimal setup? Is there any way to get 480p from games that support it then toggle back down to 240p from the games that don't?

P.S. I don't have any VGA ports on my HDTV. So I'd need to do this entirely though the Mini. Will the Kenzei allow me to do this?

KC-Slater

So, after months of research and following this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an xrgb mini. It's on it's way!

I just want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge with me thus far. This is one of the best threads out there about IQ from old consoles, and it's all thanks to you fine people.

So, about connecting a DC to the XRGB Mini... what's considered the optimal setup? Is there any way to get 480p from games that support it then toggle back down to 240p from the games that don't?

P.S. I don't have any VGA ports on my HDTV. So I'd need to do this entirely though the Mini. Will the Kenzei allow me to do this?

I've been curious about this as well, so I'm eager to get some light shed on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom