• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US confirms their air strike on ISIS killed 105 civilians, the target was 2 snipers

I'm no military expert, but is using air strikes in urban warfare really necessary with the amount of civilian casualties it brings? It's war zone, ISIS uses civilians as a shield, but damn, throwing bombs at buildings doesn't seem to be the way to go here.

you're more likely to get massive civilian casualties with ground forces. Stray bullets can go a lot further than bombs intended to be localized to small areas. Not to mention, nothing's stopping a bullet from hitting bombs planted by ISIS.

There's really only 3 options

1) Do nothing. Let ISIS continue to grow oppressing and killing massive amounts of innocents.
2) send in ground troops in prolonged combat scenarios causing massive civilian and military casualties.
3) Use targeted bombs killing fewer civilians in most cases with a substantially less likelihood of killing US and allied military forces.

Folks only read the headline, doesn't matter.

Yep, and the headline here is intended to make it sound like the us carelessly used excessive force in taking out two small targets and foolishly killed civilians.

The truth being that it sounds like things were planned as well as they could be, but the cowards shielded themselves with civilians and stockpiled munitions and ieds.

Being that the threat they posed was descibed as "two snipers" there would be no reason to expect stockpiled explosives in such a location. They probably were positioned in some kind of vantage point overlooking the city. People don't think about how dangerous a long rifle in a fortified position can be. I am assuming they were seen as higher value targets than two foot soldiers with rifles.

TarNaru33

Banned
As long as you realise that you're rationalizing away killing innocent men, women and children as part of an effort to stop people who kill men, women and children.

Like I said, I guess it's not a bad kill as long as it's accidental. I'm sure their families at home and abroad see it that way too.

And no we do not fucking scrutinise our armies killing innocent foreigners nearly enough.

You ask an American how many people have died in the UK due to terrorism this year, then ask them how many middle easterners have died due to terrorism this year.

They will know about the tens of people killed in England, but won't be able to name a single instance of innocents killed in the middle east/Asia, either by terrorists or our air strikes.

Do you realize how silly the things you are saying right now? You are wondering why people remember terrorist attacks against them and their CLOSE allies over foreign casualties we cause?

They will know about chemical attacks on Syrians by Assad, but won't know a thing about the allied air strike on a wedding that killed 200 people the week or so prior to that. Because dead innocent children only suffer during chemical attacks. Explosions and being trapped under a building that just fell on them until they die of starvation, lack of oxygen, being crushed to death etc isn't really a big deal. Chemical weapons though...now that's where we draw the line.

You are comparing a chemical attack to mistaken identity bombing? There is a reason chemical attacks get more attention than regular bombings. Bombings can cause suffering, but can be mitigated to certain areas. Chemical attacks can not be mitigated and will always cause suffering. They are not in the same league

You can't scrutinise events you don't know about and/or don't really care about.

It's just extremely hypocritical what we get upset about. It's understandable, but we DO only cry for our own team, while at the same time accepting the deaths of others as just part of the war.

There is no hypocritical thinking in this, and just because people do not pay heavy attention to these incidents do not mean they are for or okay with it.

I am not sure what you are talking about, almost all instances of civilian casualties of this level are national news and there are plenty who do scrutinize it. If you expect majority of a population to go up in arms about it, then you are overestimating how politically active most are.

So blew up 105 civilians on this one. At least two times more deaths than the manchester bombing. Will it get 2x the outrage? Nah not even half the outrage.

BBboy20

So the gist of this thread is that this is a symptom of American Imperialism despite the evidence pointing to bad luck.

And underestimating how game changing even regular ol' sniping actually is, even in the 21st century.

you're more likely to get massive civilian casualties with ground forces. Stray bullets can go a lot further than bombs intended to be localized to small areas. Not to mention, nothing's stopping a bullet from hitting bombs planted by ISIS.

There's really only 3 options

1) Do nothing. Let ISIS continue to grow oppressing and killing massive amounts of innocents.
2) send in ground troops in prolonged combat scenarios causing massive civilian and military casualties.
3) Use targeted bombs killing fewer civilians in most cases with a substantially less likelihood of killing US and allied military forces.
I guess. Just so sad there are so many pointless deaths. There will always be civilians suffering in a war zone and killed by accident, but with these bombs it is only one error and there are dozens of deaths right away.

So blew up 105 civilians on this one. At least two times more deaths than the manchester bombing. Will it get 2x the outrage? Nah not even half the outrage.
It is not a contest you know. Plus these are different situations, and people tend to care more about things closer to home. That is nothing new or even bad.

jts

...hate me...
At some point another big terrorist attack will happen in the US.
The media will wonder why...

You know why.

US is way more far, harder to emigrate to, easier to overall control.

So don't worry, they will just keep retaliating in europe instead.

hokahey

You have three options;

Do nothing - Face criticism for allowing IS atrocities.

Boots on ground - Face criticism for being occupying force.

Bomb from above - Face criticism for collateral damage.

What happened is heart breaking, but let's not pretend this is not a nuanced and difficult situation.

At some point another big terrorist attack will happen in the US.
The media will wonder why...

You know why.

And what would those losers accomplish overall? They still won't feel comfortable to venture outside without worrying about getting ripped apart AND way more innocent men, women, and children on their side will die relative to innocent Americans. Someone has to let it go and look for positive ways to channel their emotions. I hope it's America that takes the high ground but as people eluded to war is a business and you can profit. So, I imagine people in the Middle East will have to.

Tovarisc

tDlwr60.png

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/868073544445562880

digdug2k

Rip and condolences to those that lost loved ones. Fuck the USA. You started this shit and now you'll spend the rest of my lifetime blaming brown people for it, acting like heros, and slaughtering millions while you wonder why they hate you.

TheContact

so the iraqi forces had told US to bomb it, so it wasn't an independent action. they didn't know civilians were in there, and to add onto this ISIS had placed bombs in the building which caused the building to collapse and killing the civilians. really sucks and really sad.

Its almost as if relying on drones is a bad thing?

I mock, but even I, with a pretty dark sense of humor, think this shit just fucked.

If this had been in the US, there would be public outcry, investigations, the end of administration and President. Instead this is barley in the news.

Is there a total number of mid east civilians killed from 9/11 to now?

Or do these things not get talked about.
I don't know what news you watch, but it seems there are plenty of reports about this. There are also studies done and websites dedicated to it.

So yes, it gets talked about. But when it happens a lot and it has no direct relation to the country you are currently in, there will be less front page headlines.

Yoda

The fact that they can keep this under the rug for a few months...can't imagine what other similar tragedies are still hidden

Given what happened to Chelsea Manning when he exposed these kind of atrocities in Iraq, I doubt we'll have another whistleblower willing to risk a 35+ year sentence or indefinite exile (Snowden). It's a good thing these kind of stories make it to the news, people need to know that civilians are normally the greatest causality count in military conflicts.

I hope we're getting the same amount of scepticism and criticism towards the US for this strike as we were getting when the Syrians and the Russians were claiming the building they hit had chemicals inside it.

Because that's prety much the exact same excuse beeing used here

Hold on there cowboy, we're the good guys!

emag

Another wrinkle in the story.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5d894c-4226-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_story.html

The two deny, however, that the Islamic State moved any explosives into the building. Both recalled militants arriving the night before the airstrike, telling those still in their homes to leave before fighting began the next day. The snipers, they said, arrived at the house for the first time the morning of March 17, armed with rifles and little else.

“It was an airstrike,” Manhal’s father said of the incident. “There were no explosives.”

Brig. Gen Mohammed Al-Jawari, the civil defense chief for Mosul, also refuted the U.S. report.

“We were the first people who went to the site and evacuated all the bodies and we didn’t find any explosives there, only a few grenades and IEDs that weren’t exploded … what caused that destruction was an airstrike, nothing else,” he said.

In the report, the Pentagon said U.S. and Iraqi forces believed that the structure was empty of civilians, having watched the Islamic State evict families from homes in the days before the strike.

U.S. Central Command, however, was made aware that there were families trapped in the area March 14, three days before the airstrike, according to direct messages sent to its official Arabic twitter account. The sender did not wish to be identified for security reasons. In a message, he requested the urgent evacuation of families trapped inside houses near the Fathi al-Ali mosque, saying they were at risk of being killed. The house hit in the U.S.-led strike was about 1,500 feet away from the mosque.

“Information received,” Central Command replied. “Thank you for your message.”

A U.S. military pilot, who spoke on the condition anonymity because of his active duty status, said the report’s damage estimates for the initial airstrike were low and unrealistic. The pilot, who flew hundreds of combat sorties over Iraq and Afghanistan, said that using a GBU-type bomb on a residential structure ensures that there is an “extremely high probability” that the “entire building will be destroyed and every living entity inside would be killed.”

TarNaru33

Banned
This is why the war on islamic terrorism will never end. And the military industrial complex likes it just that way.

Actually this isn't the reason it won't end. It won't end because terrorism is the best way to get at powerful governments with very powerful military, not because we blow up some civilians (as harsh as it might sound).

Until those places become developed countries and separate their religion with how government should run to at least like U.S, terrorism will always be there. That or the shift from oil as a major global resource and when I say global I mean global. U.S alone transitioning from oil won't stop the Middle-East being such a strategic area in the world.

Sunster

Actually this isn't the reason it won't end. It won't end because terrorism is the best way to get at powerful governments with very powerful military, not because we blow up some civilians (as harsh as it might sound).

Until those places become developed countries and separate their religion with how government should run to at least like U.S, terrorism will always be there. That or the shift from oil as a major global resource and when I say global I mean global. U.S alone transitioning from oil won't stop the Middle-East being such a strategic area in the world.

how does a pile of rubble develop?

Skyzard

Banned

You got that right, and it's being done while we ban their refugees, which is just abhorrent.

I wish a country or coalition could sanction the US and cripple their military. It's come to the point where I'm reluctantly rooting for Russia. Both don't give a shit but the US is on another level of bloodthirsty fuckery.

Constant invasions and instigating civil wars all over the middle-east. Fucking scum. Millions of lives ruined and in ruin.

Sunster

I wish a country or coalition could sanction the US and cripple their military. It's come to the point where I'm reluctantly rooting for Russia. Both don't give a shit but the US is on another level of fuckery.

na, Russia kills way more civilians. wayyy more.

Kin5290

I wish a country or coalition could sanction the US and cripple their military. It's come to the point where I'm reluctantly rooting for Russia. Both don't give a shit but the US is on another level of bloodthirsty fuckery.

Constant invasion and instigating civil wars.

Fuck em.

Rooting for Russia because of US bloodthirstiness? The Russia that intentionally bombs hospitals, and props up a government that deploys chemical weapons against its own citizens?

That Russia?

Skyzard

Banned
Rooting for Russia because of US bloodthirstiness? The Russia that intentionally bombs hospitals, and props up a government that deploys chemical weapons against its own citizens?

That Russia?

I don't believe anything out of the US when it comes to the middle east, neither should anyone else.

They just got caught lying about what happened here.

Who knows what the fuck their intelligence agencies are up to as well. They'll do anything to justify their foreign policy.

Isis appearing in Iraq after the new Iraqi government tells them they can't keep bases there. Randomly attacking Kurds giving a new excuse to arm a side and have presence in Iraq. Then all of a sudden Isis decides they want a piece of Syria as well when they're knee deep in Iraq - how convenient for the US, trying to topple Assad from the very beginning. Making high-production videos showing them burning and drowning people - is that for recruitment too? Seems more like a way to get public anger through the roof to justify intervention.

Something fucking stinks.

Aytumious

Banned
I don't believe anything out of the US when it comes to the middle east, neither should anyone else.

Who knows what the fuck their intelligence agencies are up to as well. They'll do anything to justify their foreign policy.

Trust in Putin, friend.

props up a government that deploys chemical weapons against its own citizens?

That Russia?

It's the only force in the region that won't lead to mass genocide fueled by religion if they win.

It's like sticking your hand in a bag of infected needles and getting hepatitis instead of HIV.

Sunster

then watch that White Helmets documentary. They are literally pointing out Russian planes dropping bombs on them.

TarNaru33

Banned
how does a pile of rubble develop?

Like I said, when they start thinking of themselves as a country and benefit one another rather than just one group of people in the country. It is going to take awhile, but it will eventually happen.

No way the US would lie tho, they are the good guys

You do realize that one of those sources is a U.S airman right? I am not sure I can agree that a warning via twitter account can be considered a legit warning. I am not sure how far up the chain that would go if one did give information through twitter.

Like I said, when they start thinking of themselves as a country and benefit one another rather than just one group of people in the country. It is going to take awhile, but it will eventually happen.

Global warming will make living in the area so impossible that there will be no real country left by the time any reasonable people have even a semblance of power.

TarNaru33

Banned

Isis appearing in Iraq after the new Iraqi government tells them they can't keep bases there. Randomly attacking Kurds giving a new excuse to arm a side and have presence in Iraq. Then all of a sudden Isis decides they want a piece of Syria as well when they're knee deep in Iraq - how convenient for the US, trying to topple Assad from the very beginning. Making high-production videos showing them burning and drowning people - is that for recruitment too? Seems more like a way to get public anger through the roof to justify intervention.

Something fucking stinks.

Pretty sure what stinks is your lousy reasoning. You are being to conspiratorial, the only reason ISIS wants a "piece of Syria" (and that isn't all they want btw), is because of how successful they were in Iraq and Syria is unstable and torn by civil war. That is the only reason ISIS managed to and decided to go so far.

Also it isn't just U.S that investigated and determined who used chemical weapons and it also isn't just U.S confirming the bombing of civilian structures by Russian and Syrian armed forces.

It is not even an opinion here, Russia and Syria are factually worse when it comes to civilian casualties; they make up the top 3 reason for civilian deaths along with terrorist organizations.

Pretty sure what stinks is your lousy reasoning. You are being to conspiratorial, the only reason ISIS wants a "piece of Syria" (and that isn't all they want btw), is because of how successful they were in Iraq and Syria is unstable and torn by civil war. That is the only reason ISIS managed to and decided to go so far.

Also it isn't just U.S that investigated and determined who used chemical weapons and it also isn't just U.S confirming the bombing of civilian structures by Russian and Syrian armed forces.

It is not even an opinion here, Russia and Syria are factually worse when it comes to civilian casualties; they make up the top 3 reason for civilian deaths along with terrorist organizations.
You ever get tired of defending Western imperialism with garbage logic?

"Let's kill 100 civilians for two snipers. It's just pragmatic collateral damage you stupid bleeding hearts!"

mlclmtckr

Banned
You ever get tired of defending Western imperialism with garbage logic?

"Let's kill 100 civilians for two snipers. It's just pragmatic collateral damage you stupid bleeding hearts!"

That's not what happened at all though.

The argument is about how Russia treats civilians in warzones. The answer is 'fucking horrifically'. That's not some made up CIA psyop, that's verifiable fact based on reports from governments and NGOs all over the world.

If you choose to ignore that fact so you can feel smug about rooting for a brutal kleptocratic gangster dictator like Vladimir Putin, well, go ahead. Just understand that you are dismissing reality in order to be edgy. You are so taken in by the strongman persona that you will gloss over literal war crimes.

Dopus

Banned

You're minimising the effects that foreign policy has had on the region as a whole. I also object to you saying that it will continue to be that way "until those places become developed countries... when they start thinking of themselves as a country and benefit one another rather than just one group of people in the country."

It's a rather narrow-minded way of looking at it, especially when we're considering a number of nations here. If we consider Syria or even Libya just a decade ago, whilst these countries had deep issues, especially the case of Libya, the problems here weren't the same problems places that places like Afghanistan had. Iraq too had its own set of problems, a common theme no doubt but countries with larger tribal areas are a little hard to bring into a 'developed' world.

It's rather dismissive to point out that secularism is the answer for governments when we know how the US tried to shape Iran with Pahlavi. Or even before with other governments in the region. Afghanistan has been completely decimated and it's a country that has had real trouble developing since the decade-long war against the Mujahideen. Here we had the Soviet invasion of the country. Then, just 12 years later was the US invasion of Afghanistan. There are entire generations who have only known war and loss. These are countries that actually haven't had the opportunity to develop.

The fact is, all of these countries play a strategic role and have access to a lot of natural resources. Oil specifically, and you're not in the wrong for identifying that. But because of this very fact, and outside pressures and influence such as the West have truly put the region into turmoil. Afghanistan and Iraq in particular. Syria and Libya are different animals, but all of them are suffering in part due to Western Intervention. At least, the kind that tries to solve the issues with a hammer. Smashing things up and hoping you've got something working at the end isn't a good strategy. Consider Libya and the transitional phase thrown out during the protests. Consider the rejection of the Russian-led peace deal in 2012 for Syria. It's failure after failure, and what we end up with is a monster like ISIS festering and seizing the opportunity to extend its hand.

Top Bottom