• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Also, early roster rumblings for next Summer:

Originally Posted by Doug McIntyre

Per @rogbennett, 10 pencilled into Jurgen's 23: Altidore, Besler, Bradley, Cameron, Dempsey, Gonzalez, Goodson, Guzan, Howard, Jones.

I'm fine with all of those (mostly just relieved not to see Evans or Beasley listed) except Goodson, he should be in the running obviously, but I don't think he should be pencilled in just yet, but in contention with Brooks, Fiscal, and perhaps others.
I think Cameron being a "Spector" that you wouldn't actually mind seeing play at any of the positions he can cover allows for some nice roster flexibility, we should be able to take at least one more luxury guy than usual, instead of a CB/RB/LB/DM...

Those are quotes/extrapolations from the same article:
To that end, I ask how many names he has already penciled into his squad of 23 to join him in Brazil. "We have a very good core of leaders," he says. "Two world-class goalkeepers to start with, very promising center backs that are maturing, Matt Besler and Omar Gonzalez ... experienced guys like Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron, who is going through his growing pains in the Premier League."

The coach suggests the squad is "building up depth at both full back positions" before continuing. "We have two leaders in central midfield in Michael Bradley and Jermaine Jones who want to peak in Brazil, and we will build other people around that with Clint Dempsey if we guide him one step after another towards that World Cup. He can be an impact player, and with Jozy [Altidore] we have another kind of player who builds that spine."

I express surprise, admitting I had imagined there would be 17 or 18 players Klinsmann already feels sure of. "We have many players who have to prove to themselves they can go to the global stage so we have a lot of question marks," he counters. "Which players understand that and take it in their own hands to go onto the global stage with confidence and with the right mindset to attack it?"

Klinsmann's conclusion is stark but powerful. "You don't say you have 17 or 18 names [already chosen] because you want to figure out if the players will be ready in four or five months ... because once we get into camp before the World Cup, it is going to be very demanding."

There can be no more interesting test for this threshold than Dempsey, a player whom Klinsmann publically challenged, made captain, then watched struggle upon his return to MLS. Is he guaranteed to be the U.S. captain at the World Cup? The German does not flinch. "There is no guarantee for anyone," he declares. "Clint threw himself into a shark tank coming back and the expectations are above the clouds; his own expectations are the highest, and therefore it is a huge process he is going through right now."

Klinsmann reiterates several times that he is prepared to help Dempsey in that transition. "I am very positive," he says. "He is now getting challenged in a very different way than he would be getting challenged in the Premier League because ... they have made him into the face of the league. He is not one of many in the Premier League and that is a very difficult task to deal with [because] they expect a goal every game, which is impossible because three guys jump on him. It is easier for Eddie Johnson to score the goals because he gets the space -- and we are happy for Eddie ... but guarantees for a World Cup that is seven months away ... no one has a guarantee."

xbhaskarx

Well I guess there is a pretty big difference between pencilled in and guaranteed.
So then it is rather ridiculous that Donovan isn't at least pencilled in like so many others.

I just feel like a lot of that is sort of deliberately misleading as a motivator to the players to push themselves. Barring an injury, I don't think there's anyway to convince me Donovan would get left off the roster. I could be wrong/cynical, but this sort of talk seems so transparently attempting to get in the players' heads that the headline could just be "Coach Klinnsman thinks it is important that everyone keep working hard if they want to go to Brazil"

Yes, it strikes me as a motivational tool from Klinsmann. Similar to how he's called out other players in the past or has skipped over them for certain rosters.

EDIT: Some rumors circulating out of Egypt that Bradley has been fired, but there's no confirmation yet.

Nesotenso

Yes, it strikes me as a motivational tool from Klinsmann. Similar to how he's called out other players in the past or has skipped over them for certain rosters.

EDIT: Some rumors circulating out of Egypt that Bradley has been fired, but there's no confirmation yet.

tough going for him really. not ideal preparation for a world cup. Egypt has an aging squad as well.

tough going for him really. not ideal preparation for a world cup. Egypt has an aging squad as well.
It's unclear what the situation is currently:

Taylor Twellman said:
Can confirm from 2 reliable sources that Bob Bradley has not been "fired" from #Egypt. Would be one of most shocking decisions ever if so!!
Grant Wahl said:
E-mail from Bob Bradley: "At the moment I'm still the [Egypt] coach. If it's up to me I will stand with the team for the 2nd leg."
KeithCostigan said:
Hearing from another source that Bradley is done. Details still to be worked out but doesn't expect to be in charge for 2nd leg

The word on Bradley from the EFA:
The Egyptian Football Association is to hold an emergency meeting next Monday to discuss the National team's crushing 6-1 defeat to Ghana that squandered the Pharaohs' dream of reaching the World Cup for the first time since 1990.

"We will ask the coach during the meeting what led to this humiliating defeat. We will also discuss his future, but it is likely that he will stay in charge until the return leg to avoid the release clause," Azmi Megahed told a sports TV program.

Egypt hired American tactician Bob Bradley in November 2011 to lead the Pharaohs to the World Cup 2014. His contract runs until the end of the World Cup qualifiers with an extension option.

With Egypt practically eliminated, there will be no need to sack him now to avoid paying the amount of the release clause that is 45 000 USD.

However EFA President Gamal Allam has asked Bradley to step down and let another figure lead the return leg.

The Pharaohs are scheduled to host Ghana on 19 November in Cairo and need a five-goal margin victory to maintain their hopes of reaching the World Cup finals.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's too bad. Considering all the shit going on over there they haven't done half bad, that loss to Ghana was a crushing one though. Fucking Ghana's the bane of Bob Bradley's existence at this point.

I just feel like a lot of that is sort of deliberately misleading as a motivator to the players to push themselves. Barring an injury, I don't think there's anyway to convince me Donovan would get left off the roster. I could be wrong/cynical, but this sort of talk seems so transparently attempting to get in the players' heads that the headline could just be "Coach Klinnsman thinks it is important that everyone keep working hard if they want to go to Brazil"

Agreed. I can't really imagine him being left off the WC squad. Klinnsman probably just wants to see more from him.

I hadn't been paying much attention, but wasn't Ghana the heavy favorite? Is this result that surprising?
Egypt won all six of their qualifiers up to this point, so I think expectations were inflated. The SPI odds that ESPN put together had Ghana as winners over both legs 60% of the time or something like that.

My take is that it isn't surprising to have Ghana win their home leg, but I didn't expect them to dismantle Egypt like this.

NoRéN

Pretty much. As if Landon Donovan has anything left to prove in 2013.

Lineup:
#USMNT Lineup for #USAvPAN: Guzan; Evans, Goodson, Orozco, Castillo; Bedoya, Beckerman, Kljestan, Diskerud, Zusi; Altidore (c)
Makes sense. The only surprise for me is Orozco instead of Cameron.

rEciaZ8.png

Wait what? I thought everything gets wiped before the WC
If someone takes a straight red in the last match, they're suspended. Yellow card accumulation is not enforced in the WC.

Clydefrog

Wait what? I thought everything gets wiped before the WC

Grant Wahl article from cnnsi.com:

All accumulated yellow cards have been wiped clean, so a single yellow card Tuesday night won’t cause any U.S. players to be suspended for the World Cup opener in Brazil (the next competitive game after this one). But any player who gets sent off (via a red card or two yellows) would indeed be suspended for at least the first group-stage game in Brazil, and that would be a disaster. You might remember that Cameron got a dubious red card in the U.S.’s 1-0 friendly win the last time these two teams played in Panama City.

http://soccer.si.com/2013/10/15/usmnt-panama-world-cup-qualifier-preview/?sct=hp_t2_a7

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 1m
Your World Cup group seeds: Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Uruguay (Netherlands if URU loses to Jordan).

Looks like we didn't get seeded guys :p

If the US loses 2-0 and Mexico loses to CR, they're out of the World Cup.

BELIEVE

jk, I want Mexico in the WC, and I really don't want to tank a game for Panama

Best I've seen jozy play since before he got sick. Must've lost some strength.
Panama has some big guys at CB, and he's tossing them around. I wish the rest of the team was playing at the same level right now. Lots of these guys are on the "potentially useful off the bench but I don't want them starting" list for the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom