• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US nearly detonated atomic bomb over North Carolina – secret document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Was it the late 1960s where a US plane crashed near Spain I think carrying a couple bombs?

The Palomares incident.

America claimed that it removed all the radioactive soil contaminated with plutonium and shipped it elsewhere, but it was recently discovered that it just secretly dumped part of it in a field used by the locals to grow their own vegetables.

Soil with radiation contamination levels above 1.2 MBq/m2 was placed in 250-litre (66 U.S. gallon) drums and shipped to the Savannah River Plant in South Carolina for burial. A total of 2.2 hectares (5.4 acres) was decontaminated by this technique, producing 6,000 barrels. 17 hectares (42 acres) of land with lower levels of contamination was mixed to a depth of 30 centimetres (12 in) by harrowing and plowing. On rocky slopes with contamination above 120 kBq/m2, the soil was removed with hand tools and shipped to the United States in barrels.[19]

In 2004, a study revealed that there was still some significant contamination present in certain areas, and the Spanish government subsequently expropriated some plots of land which would otherwise have been slated for agriculture use or housing construction.[27] In early October 2006, the Spanish and United States governments agreed to decontaminate the remaining areas and share the workload and costs, which are hitherto unknown, as it first needs to be determined to what extent leaching of the plutonium has occurred in the 40 years since the incident.

On 11 October 2006, Reuters reported that higher than normal levels of radiation were detected in snails and other wildlife in the region, indicating there may still be dangerous amounts of radioactive material underground.[24] The discovery occurred during an investigation being carried out by Spain's energy research agency CIEMAT and the U.S. Department of Energy. The U.S. and Spain agreed to share the cost of the initial investigation.

In April 2008, CIEMAT announced they had found two trenches, totalling 2,000 cubic metres (71,000 cu ft), where the U.S. Army stored contaminated earth during the 1966 operations. The American government agreed in 2004 to pay for the decontamination of the grounds, and the cost of the removal and transportation of the contaminated earth has been estimated at $2 million. The trenches were found near the cemetery, where one of the nuclear devices was retrieved in 1966, and they were probably dug at the last moment by American troops before leaving Palomares. CIEMAT expects to find remains of plutonium and americium once an exhaustive analysis of the earth is carried out.[28] [29] In a conversation in December 2009, the Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Ángel Moratinos told the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that he feared Spanish public opinion might turn against the US once the results of the study on nuclear contamination were to be revealed.[30]

In August 2010, a Spanish government source revealed that the U.S. has stopped the annual payments it has made to Spain, as the bilateral agreement in force since the accident, "expired", the previous year.[31]

As of 2012, Spain is asking the United States to finish cleaning up the area.[32]

Fox Mulder

I heard about this a long time ago, but I also live in NC.

It's amazing more accidents didn't happen when they had the brilliant idea of having nuclear equipped bombers in the sky at all times during the Cold War.

legacyzero

Banned
tumblr_m1vzf5Sgfh1qzr1lno1_500.gif

Pimpwerx

Um...why was either bomb armed? By that, I mean these things tend to have pins in the fuses that prevent them from arming until the craft carrying them is sortied. With something carrying such a large payload, shouldn't those things have been loaded up in a disarmed state? Did the wreck somehow arm one of the bombs? That's really weird. PEACE.

DoomGyver

Never stepping into NC. That is insane.
Why? I'm no rocket scientist but.. wouldn't the main body of the warhead be degenerated to the point where it is no longer a threat. Maybe uranium is leaking out, but I doubt it would be capable of detonation.

Each bomb carried a payload of 4 megatons – the equivalent of 4 million tons of TNT explosive. Had the device detonated, lethal fallout could have been deposited over Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and as far north as New York city – putting millions of lives at risk.

It could have snuffed out my young life. :eek:

I heard about this a long time ago, but I also live in NC.

It's amazing more accidents didn't happen when they had the brilliant idea of having nuclear equipped bombers in the sky at all times during the Cold War.

They did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Savage_Mountain_B-52_crash

The 1964 Savage Mountain [Maryland] B-52 crash was a U.S. military nuclear accident in which a Cold War bomber's vertical stabilizer broke off in winter storm turbulence. The two Mark 53 nuclear bombs being ferried were found "relatively intact in the middle of the wreckage", and after Fort Meade's 28th Ordnance Detachment secured them, the bombs were removed two days later to the Cumberland Municipal Airport.

Coins

Banned
Yeah they knew, they even tested it multiple times to see the results before they hauled one over to Japan.

They most certainly did not know. Numerous interviews have stated that some of their scientists were worried a bomb would ignite the atmosphere.

They most certainly did not know. Numerous interviews have stated that some of their scientists were worried a bomb would ignite the atmosphere.

That was meant as a joke to scare some of the non-scientists.
It was certainly plausible, but you know, they were some of the smartest guys, so they did the math.

From wiki
Teller also raised the speculative possibility that an atomic bomb might "ignite" the atmosphere because of a hypothetical fusion reaction of nitrogen nuclei.[note 1] Bethe calculated that it could not happen,[27] and a report co-authored by Teller showed that "no self-propagating chain of nuclear reactions is likely to be started."[28] In Serber's account, Oppenheimer mentioned it to Arthur Compton, who "didn't have enough sense to shut up about it. It somehow got into a document that went to Washington" and was "never laid to rest"

Diablos

It could have snuffed out my young life. :eek:
Even if your parents did not live in a place that would have been impacted by a direct blast/fallout, the mere implication of something like this for the nation would have been so profound that the trajectory of everyday life would have suffered greatly, thus implying a LOT of us not being here as we are today... if at all.

R.I.P

Wow, good thing the bombs didn't detonate. Would've been an interesting alternate history though if it had happened.

Batman

Banned
If that happened the US wouldn't be the US and whatever remaining people in the wasteland would be speaking Russian, Spanish or French.

EYEL1NER

I can open my window right now and look out over North Star Bay, where this one happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Thule_Air_Base_B-52_crash
On 21 January 1968, an aircraft accident (sometimes known as the Thule affair or Thule accident (/ˈtuːliː/ TOO-lee); Danish: Thuleulykken) involving a United States Air Force (USAF) B-52 bomber occurred near Thule Air Base in the Danish-administered territory of Greenland. The aircraft was carrying four hydrogen bombs on a Cold War "Chrome Dome" alert mission over Baffin Bay when a cabin fire forced the crew to abandon the aircraft before they could carry out an emergency landing at Thule Air Base. Six crew members ejected safely, but one who did not have an ejection seat was killed while trying to bail out. The bomber crashed onto sea ice in North Star Bay,[a] Greenland, causing the conventional explosives aboard to detonate and the nuclear payload to rupture and disperse, which resulted in radioactive contamination. The contaminated snow was disposed of in the US.

The United States and Denmark launched an intensive clean-up and recovery operation, but the secondary stage of one of the nuclear weapons could not be accounted for after the operation completed. USAF Strategic Air Command "Chrome Dome" operations were discontinued immediately after the incident, which highlighted the safety and political risks of the missions. Safety procedures were reviewed and more stable explosives were developed for use in nuclear weapons.

In 1995, a political scandal resulted in Denmark after a report revealed the government had given tacit permission for nuclear weapons to be located in Greenland, in contravention of Denmark's 1957 nuclear-free zone policy. Workers involved in the clean-up program have been campaigning for compensation for radiation-related illnesses they experienced in the years after the incident.

EDIT: Reading about that incident when I first got up here led me to read about other broken arrows. I thought this one was interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Philippine_Sea_A-4_incident. 80 miles away from Okinawa, a jet with a nuke and its pilot get swept off an elevator on a carrier and into the sea. Sinks down and isn't recovered. 20-something years later the Pentagon starts talking about it and Japan is like "Da fuq you mean you lost a nuke 80 miles away from us?!"
Seems like a lot of them that we have lost have been in places they shouldn't have been...

LordCanti

I guess the new info is that 3/4 failsafes didn't function properly and that the fourth failsafe is all that kept us from a major clusterfuck?

If so, that fourth failsafe is in inanimate carbon rod territory.

why the fuck did they make bombers carrying atomic bombs fly over their own goddamn country

Moving them, perhaps?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've always wanted to know what happens to the nuclear arsenal of the US and other countries as it ages and becomes defunct. I'm sure the engineers thought of this, but I'd like to know how this is dealt with.

How do you not recover a fucking 60's Nuclear Bomb? Aren't those things huge?

Well they had shrunk them to fit artillery shells by 1953. In this case it's a fairly large bomb but it's not huge in the same way Little Boy / Fat Man were. Maybe 10-15 feet long? It all depends on how large an area it might have landed in and what the terrain was like.

I've always wanted to know what happens to the nuclear arsenal of the US and other countries as it ages and becomes defunct. I'm sure the engineers thought of this, but I'd like to know how this is dealt with.

They degrade over time and require maintenance to stay operational. A few years back the US "forgot" how to make a classified material used in their warheads called fogbank, because all of the people who made the original stockpile they had been using for years had died, retired, or moved to other agencies. They had to get a team of people to figure out how to make it again.

Kinyou

They would have blamed the Soviet Union
I think the question is how fast they would have even known that it was one of theirs. You got a nuke going off in north carolina people might instantly think it were the russians, only a handful of people might have even know that a B-52 was flying there, let alone make the connection fast enough. Out of fear that more strikes might happen they'd probably start launching their own rockets which of course would in turn make the soviets launch theirs.

1961 they didn't even have the Moscow–Washington hotline to help clearing things up

I think the question is how fast they would have even known that it was one of theirs. You got a nuke going off in north carolina people might instantly think it were the russians, only a handful of people would even know that a B-52 was flying there, let alone make the connection fast enough. Out of fear that more strikes might happen they'd probably start launching their own rockets which of course would in turn make the soviets launch theirs.

A single detonation in an area of no strategic value without any inbound aircraft or missiles? I'm not sure if they would be so trigger happy.

Kinyou

A single detonation in an area of no strategic value without any inbound aircraft or missiles? I'm not sure if they would be so trigger happy.

But how long til the next detonation? Maybe the Russians developed some stealth rocket and missed the target? Obviously I can't know how they would have reacted but I could see this escalating quickly.

Physics GAF does this bomb from the Halo series make sense in any real world Physics perspective?

“This is the prototype NOVA Bomb, nine fusion warheads encased in lithium triteride armor. When detonated, it compresses its fissionable material to neutron-star density, boosting the thermonuclear yield a hundredfold."

dan2026

You know some redneck has the missing bomb in the back of his trailer somewhere.
Probably doesn't know exactly what it is.

Then one day he'll accidentally set it off and BOOM big hole in America.

FnordChan

I grew up less than an hour away from Goldsboro and had never heard about this. If it had gone off, both of my parents would have been exposed to large amounts of fallout, which is moderately terrifying to think about. Thanks, Cold War!

FnordChan

So I'm guessing the bomb's firing components weren't installed, which is why it didn't go off? I don't know what protocol is, but I do know in ww2, they didn't install the stuff to make it active until they were close to the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom