• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US nearly detonated atomic bomb over North Carolina – secret document

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly one of the two bombs that dropped remains unrecovered:eek:

megaton.jpg

Atom.

How likely is it for an atomic bomb to explode w/o entering the proper code / actually arming it?
I thought they were designed to be basically inactive otherwise, even when crashing with a plane etc. Was that different in the 60s?

How likely is it for an atomic bomb to explode w/o entering the proper code / actually arming it?
I thought they were designed to be basically inactive otherwise, even when crashing with a plane etc. Was that different in the 60s?

No amount of lasers, explosions or physical trauma will trigger an implosion type bomb. However the case here was supposed to be that it had an impact detonator - the bomb was rigged to go off when it hit something, unless such and such safety things were disarmed. In 1961, Permissive Action Link tech (the safeties on modern weapons) were under development but not deployed. In 1962 the order to equip the entire US arsenal with the PAL systems was given, and this accident in OP (1961) may have been part of the reasoning behind this.

enewtabie

Not surprising. Had a couple friends have their land dug up for unexplored ordinance the army lost in 40s to the 60s. Guess I wouldn't be here if that bomb went off

Yeah they knew, they even tested it multiple times to see the results before they hauled one over to Japan.

The bombs we dropped on Japan were two different designs - only one of which was tested. We couldn't produce enough material for more tests, so one of the two drops (Nagasaki, I think?) was a crapshoot.

Portman

Alright NC-GAF, assemble! Get yer metal detectors and diggin tools and we'll find that bomb and sell it back to the government (what would they pay us with, Monopoly money?) and use the money to get better servers for GAF.

I remember hearing something about that a few years ago, or maybe it was a similar situation in South of Carolina where a bomb got dropped accidentally.

Futureman

so what am I not following in the article...

it says "the final switch that prevented disaster could easily have been shorted by an electrical jolt, leading to a nuclear burst."

so why did the bombs not go off? the switch needs to be activated and they only do that if they are actively bombing something?

Futureman

ok here’s what the classified doc actually says...

there were 6 interlocking safety mechanisms and 5 of those failed.

I wonder what the safety mechanism was, how 5 of them failed, and how close the 6 one was?

Javaman

ok here’s what the classified doc actually says...

there were 6 interlocking safety mechanisms and 5 of those failed.

I wonder what the safety mechanism was, how 5 of them failed, and how close the 6 one was?
How did they know which ones failed if they never found the bomb?

Futureman

How did they know which ones failed if they never found the bomb?

there were 2! They did find the one.

seems to be conflicting info on exactly why they didn't go off.

Wikipedia:

"The fourth arming device — the pilot's safe/arm switch — was not activated preventing detonation."

Slavik81

Yeah they knew, they even tested it multiple times to see the results before they hauled one over to Japan.
They only had one test detonation. That was the Trinity test at the White Sands Proving Grounds in New Mexico.

The bombs we dropped on Japan were two different designs - only one of which was tested. We couldn't produce enough material for more tests, so one of the two drops (Nagasaki, I think?) was a crapshoot.
Trinity tested an implosion type nuclear weapon. The one at Hiroshima was a gun type, and the one at Nagasaki was an implosion type.

Anastasia

*Checks to see how far she lives from Goldsboro*

Okay, I'm like 4-5 hours away from this missing 4 megaton hydrogen bomb. Everything should be fine then, right?

In all seriousness, the bomb (or whatever remains of it) probably is hundreds of feet below the surface, covered in dirt or whatever else. Imagine being the person who stumbles across it though.

"Hey guys, I found the missing hydrogen bomb!"

so what am I not following in the article...

it says "the final switch that prevented disaster could easily have been shorted by an electrical jolt, leading to a nuclear burst."

so why did the bombs not go off? the switch needs to be activated and they only do that if they are actively bombing something?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/21/4755600/us-atomic-bomb-north-carolina-accident-1961

The document says the bombs should have detonated — parachutes were deployed and triggers were armed, but one low-voltage switch failed to activate as it should have, preventing what would have been devastating and widespread damage.

So basically, a very simple mechanism, the mechanism you would expect not to fail, failed.

Gallbaro

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/21/4755600/us-atomic-bomb-north-carolina-accident-1961

The document says the bombs should have detonated — parachutes were deployed and triggers were armed, but one low-voltage switch failed to activate as it should have, preventing what would have been devastating and widespread damage.

So basically, a very simple mechanism, the mechanism you would expect not to fail, failed.

When you have multiple Nuclear weapons in the air 24 hours a day for 30 plus years. This shit is bound to happen. It is a risk our brilliant governments deemed worthy.

-And the of course our trustworthy government suppresses the information for the good of the citizenry.

Raiden

Banned
This is beyond insane. Imagine if that happened and the US accidentally killed millions of their own. This would have changed everything. Other military forces would perhaps seize the opportunity to invade during the fallout and whatnot.

This is the stuff why some people believe in god. A nuke dropped and some little voltage switch happens to fail. Something that works 99.999% of the times it used.

Mr Swine

Banned
So what happens if crazy American "terrorist" found the one that is missing? Can they retrofit it to make another nuke at similar power? I mean it should be easy to find documents to make age old nukes?

Gallbaro

Banned
This is beyond insane. Imagine if that happened and the US accidentally killed millions of their own. This would have changed everything. Other military forces would perhaps seize the opportunity to invade during the fallout and whatnot.

This is the stuff why some people believe in god. A nuke dropped and some little voltage switch happens to fail. Something that works 99.999% of the times it used.

You think one of our politicians would have taken responsibility and said "We Dun Goof'd," Fuck no, they would have been heading to their bunkers while nuking the USSR.

Kurdel

Banned

Melisandre_2x01.jpg

The only God I can see trying to burn up NC is R'hllor.

1950's engineers and their (last) failsafe saved the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom