• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB-C to HDMI on Nintendo Switch? How will it work?

Castro27

Could be replicated though... We will have to see.

In other news... Wonder why 10k was banned

Hope so, but I wonder if that hardware check will be necessary for it to overclock. If that's the case I don't think I would trust a cheap dock over the official one.

japtor

EDIT: I should have mentioned that I have seen the Nintendo official dock and the ports on it, but the price for it is $90. The Monoprice dongle I linked to has a price of $30. This thread is about the underlying tech inside and whether that will allow for use of standard adapters. Even the Apple dongle is cheaper at $50.
Keep in mind those don't include a power supply. I wouldn't fuck around with cheap power adapters cause USB-C power can be kind of a mess, so that's another $30 for the official one, or probably not all that much less for a confirmed good power supply.
so has nintendo confirmed you will be able to use battery packs ? if yes, then I don't care about the battery life anymore
I think yes as mentioned, but the big question is how much power it'll need. The USB power delivery spec goes up to 100 and power bricks can be all over the place below that. Like I think Apple's are anywhere from 25 to 85W depending on device they're meant for.

I'd assume the cheap ass ubiquitous phone/tablet batteries wouldn't output enough, but I bet lower power USB-C ones (25W?) would be ok since I can't imagine the Switch takes up a huge amount of power. To be safe I'd just wait until it comes out to know the included adapter's power spec for sure.

(And in theory you could charge slowly with a lower power one when idle/off, but that wouldn't help while playing since it'd still drain the battery faster than it could charge)

SystemUser

Keep in mind those don't include a power supply. I wouldn't fuck around with cheap power adapters cause USB-C power can be kind of a mess, so that's another $30 for the official one, or probably not all that much less for a confirmed good power supply.

I think yes as mentioned, but the big question is how much power it'll need. The USB power delivery spec goes up to 100 and power bricks can be all over the place below that. Like I think Apple's are anywhere from 25 to 85W depending on device they're meant for.

I'd assume the cheap ass ubiquitous phone/tablet batteries wouldn't output enough, but I bet lower power USB-C ones (25W?) would be ok since I can't imagine the Switch takes up a huge amount of power. To be safe I'd just wait until it comes out to know the included adapter's power spec for sure.

(And in theory you could charge slowly with a lower power one when idle/off, but that wouldn't help while playing since it'd still drain the battery faster than it could charge)

I will edit my comment to mention that the wall plug is not included with the Apple or Monoprice adapters. When you take into account the cables and power adapter then the price isn't so crazy.

Doesn't the dock have a fan too?

If it does, I supposed it is controlled by USB, and I guess the Switch looks for it or other USB IDs when changing to docked mode... otherwise there's the risk that the console will get throttled like crazy.

NimbusD

I assume it's proprietary. Otherwise the console would overclock when it's plugged into any old hdmi converter and be at risk of overheating due to no extra cooling.

Caelus

Seems like it explains the high cost of the dock, though I assume they are lumping an additional cost on top of that. I guess in reality it should be more around $50?

This is truly blowing my mind.

3 hours, I believe. Although we don't know if its this a limitation of the AC type-c cable that comes with the Switch, missing fast charging standards, or any number of factors.

One user did a breakdown of patents and battery tech and basically came to the conclusion that even at 3 hours, it is still charging significantly faster than normal devices. I'll try to find it.

Here it is. It seems like they actually did a lot with the battery.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228323268&postcount=519

crinale

There are numerous Thunderbolt (USB-C) to HDMI / USB docks, so it is quite common technology.
I mean newest Macintosh laptops only have USB-C so you need those docks to connect anything.

Edit: As Thunderbolt tech spec goes, you are allowed to pass through other signals (i.e. display signals) naively "as is", so there shouldn't be protocol conversion or any sort.
That being said those docks gets hot while performing HDMI pass-thru, so cooling air going thru dock is good I guess.

M3d10n

Seems like it explains the high cost of the dock, though I assume they are lumping an additional cost on top of that. I guess in reality it should be more around $50?

This is truly blowing my mind.

At glance, USB-C docks with HDMI out vary wildly in price at Amazon, ranging from ~$50 to $150+. The switch dock also includes the power brick, which needs to be quite high power to be able to charge and run the system at full speed when docked. When you take that in consideration the bitter price doesn't sound completely arbitrary.

so has nintendo confirmed you will be able to use battery packs ? if yes, then I don't care about the battery life anymore

I think yes, but the best charger I've found (from Anker that has USB-C) maxes out at 5V and 3A, so 15W. Depending on what the power draw is that may not be enough to charge it during use

Red Devil

I asked two different Nintendo reps if I could connect the Switch directly to the TV and their response is a pretty firm and direct no.

That doesn't necessarily mean a usb-c to HDMI cable wouldn't work, but at least it seems Nintendo has communicated to them as such.

Probably it can do that but they don't reccomend doing it due potential issues with cheaply manufactured third party cables and whatnot.

japtor

Can the switch be charged via a computer USB port?
Unlikely, at least while playing, just cause it probably pulls a lot more than regular (non charging) USB ports put out. If it's off it might be possible but it'd charge really slowly, like it's possible to charge iPads (and I think MacBooks even) but it takes forever.

Was wondering the same thing. It'd be easier to carry Apple usb->hdmi dongle and hook it up to a TV at workplace etc instead of carrying the dock.

Doikor

USB Type-C has something called alternate mode basically allowing one to transport any data over it. So as long as the alternate mode pins correctly connect to the hdmi pins it will work just fine.

There are also some standardised ways of talking with other protocols so every device doesn't needs its own implementation.

Luigiv

1. Switch handshakes with dock and outputs Display Port signal and USB data to it.
2. Tiny processor/microcontroller in the dock splits the data to each USB port, converts Display Port signal to HDMI and patches power back into the Switch.
3. ???
4. Profit.

MaulerX

Yeah, this is totally normal and even a little forward-looking from Nintendo. USB-C isn't ubiquitous yet, but this sort of thing will be more common in like 18-months. I was at CES last year and they had full workstations (monitor, mouse, keyboard) coming out of Windows 10 tablets over USB-C.

Microsoft's Windows Phones use USB-C for their "Continuum" feature. The more expensive adapters are the ones with power obviously but the regular ones work just fine (just with no power to keep the device juiced). I use this with my 950XL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4S5C7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20 when going to friends houses and it works great. Great to play those emulators on the big screen with the supported XB1 controller.

I'm guessing the same principle will hold true for the Switch.

D.Lo

Unlikely, at least while playing, just cause it probably pulls a lot more than regular (non charging) USB ports put out. If it's off it might be possible but it'd charge really slowly, like it's possible to charge iPads (and I think MacBooks even) but it takes forever.
Yes I have the most recent 12" Macbook.

It can be charged from a phone/ipad charger, but it would take an entire day of charging, while not in use, to get 50%. If you use the computer while charging the battery will go down, just slightly slower.

The Switch could probably charge from my Macbook AC adapter and vice versa, it's 29W.

Bendo

I'm guessing there's some proprietary handshaking going on in the dock which precludes anyone from making 3rd party docks (legally). The seamless experience of using the dock is pretty integral to the Switch concept so I can definitely see why Nintendo would want to control it themself.

Luigiv

I'm guessing there's some proprietary handshaking going on in the dock which precludes anyone from making 3rd party docks (legally). The seamless experience of using the dock is pretty integral to the Switch concept so I can definitely see why Nintendo would want to control it themself.
Yep, betting on this myself.

D.Lo

Also if plugging it in turns the tablet into overclocked mode without the right ventilation it could be dangerous or cause damage to the device.

I think yes, but the best charger I've found (from Anker that has USB-C) maxes out at 5V and 3A, so 15W. Depending on what the power draw is that may not be enough to charge it during use

I have a feeling there must be already dozen carrying cases that doubled as extended battery and stand for the Switch in work

stupid question, but why can't we just get a regular battery pack, and just use a usb-c cable to connect to the switch? won't that work?

D.Lo

stupid question, but why can't we just get a regular battery pack, and just use a usb-c cable to connect to the switch? won't that work?
It will be too low VA, and won't output power fast enough. It may charge it slowly but if you played while charging the power would drain faster than the external battery can replace it.

It needs a higher power battery pack basically. When this happens I'll be able to double up use for my Macbook too!

It will be too low VA, and won't output power fast enough. It may charge it slowly but if you played while charging the power would drain faster than the external battery can replace it.

It needs a higher power battery pack basically. When this happens I'll be able to double up use for my Macbook too!

Powerbanks are very slow chargers. It'll probably work somewhat if you aren't actually using the Switch

tumblr_n14etmQ7M11rwj9abo1_500.gif

This is actually legitimately a use case for me. One power bank to power both my MacBook and my Switch (and my iPad and iPhone since I have USB-C to lightning cables)

I can't wait. I'm just hoping for higher than 15w output in the future

Minsc

Gold Member

I honestly don't think it matters too much. Ultimately, if you connect to a slower charger the charger will deplete itself well before the actual system runs out of power, so it's irrelevant if it converts the Switch to a 5 hour battery life by halving the speed of drain, or if it has more VA to deliver charge faster and can hold it at 100% for the first 2.5 hours and then it drains to 0% in the next 2.5 when the power bank no longer supplies power to it. And I have my doubts about the inability to increase the Switch's battery level while playing when connected to a power bank. I connect iPads to power banks occasionally when needed and they charge up the battery while it is being used just fine, I don't expect the Switch to be any different.

D.Lo

I honestly don't think it matters too much. Ultimately, if you connect to a slower charger the charger will deplete itself well before the actual system runs out of power, so it's irrelevant if it converts the Switch to a 5 hour battery life by halving the speed of drain, or if it has more VA to deliver charge faster and can hold it at 100% for the first 2.5 hours and then it drains to 0% in the next 2.5 when the power bank no longer supplies power to it. And I have my doubts about the inability to increase the Switch's battery level while playing when connected to a power bank. I connect iPads to power banks occasionally when needed and they charge up the battery while it is being used just fine, I don't expect the Switch to be any different.
No this just isn't true. the Switch will use power much faster than a regular charger could restore it.

My Macbook (12") can run for around 6-7 hours of semi-full time web browsing/wifi use on 90% brightness. Basic productivity with not much graphics stuff happening. Using a normal power brick or even wall charger designed for a phone/ipad/other normal USB A device, it takes 10+ hours to half charge my Macbook. And the Macbook battery has roughly the same mAh rating as that of the Switch.

Powerbanks are very slow chargers. It'll probably work somewhat if you aren't actually using the Switch

Powerbanks that support Qualcomm's Quick Charge are on the market and will only become more common as more phones support the tech. Assuming the Switch does support the Quick Charge standard, you might actually be able to extend play sessions well beyond 3-6 hours.

SystemUser

No this just isn't true. the Switch will use power much faster than a regular charger could restore it.

My Macbook (12") can run for around 6-7 hours of semi-full time web browsing/wifi use on 90% brightness. Basic productivity with not much graphics stuff happening. Using a normal power brick or even wall charger designed for a phone/ipad/other normal USB A device, it takes 10+ hours to half charge my Macbook. And the Macbook battery has roughly the same mAh rating as that of the Switch.

You are assuming that the Switch and MacBook have the same voltage. The Macbbook battery is around 5000 mAh and 7 volts for 39 Wh. A Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 3600mAh battery, but the voltage is much lower at 3.8 so it only has 13.8 Wh. You can't look at mAh and ignore voltage.

What are the specs on the Switch battery?

D.Lo

You are assuming that the Switch and MacBook have the same voltage. The Macbbook battery is around 5000 mAh and 7 volts for 39 Wh. A Samsung Galaxy S7 has a 3600mAh battery, but the voltage is much lower at 3.8 so it only has 13.8 Wh. You can't look at mAh and ignore voltage.

What are the specs on the Switch battery?
That's true, but looking at the Switch's power drain (2.5-6 hours) I was guessing it would be similar. Without knowing either way though, nobody can say 'a phone battery pack will be fine' yet, which was what I was responding to.

SystemUser

That's true, but looking at the Switch's power drain (2.5-6 hours) I was guessing it would be similar. Without knowing either way though, nobody can say 'a phone battery pack will be fine' yet, which was what I was responding to.

You can't just look at time and mAh. Without voltage you are just guessing. The iPad Air 2 has 7300 mAh battery and only 27.6 Wh. The voltage is lower you can charge it while using it with a 12W charger.

The MacBook battery is physically a lot larger since Apple fills their devices with battery and it is a 12 inch device. The Switch is only a 6 inch device but it does have batteries in the JoyCons that will need too be charged too. We won't know what the Switch needs until we see the wattage on the power adapter or the voltage on the battery.

D.Lo

You can't just look at time and mAh. Without voltage you are just guessing.
Uh yeah
That's true, but looking at the Switch's power drain (2.5-6 hours) I was guessing it would be similar.
I was addressing the idea that 'current ipad chargers will be fine' and given the Switch battery life can be as low as 2.5 hours, and I am guessing such a low voltage charger will take longer than that to fill the battery. I predict my guess will turn out to be accurate.

Minsc

Gold Member
I was addressing the idea that 'current ipad chargers will be fine' and given the Switch battery life can be as low as 2.5 hours, and I am guessing such a low voltage charger will take longer than that to fill the battery. I predict my guess will turn out to be accurate.

The idea is that even if they aren't fine, they'll be fine enough, because they'll be depleted well before the switch reaches 0 (a cheaper 2500-5000 mah charger wouldn't even last more than 2-4 hours). Which I honestly don't even think will be the case, they'll hold the charge pretty well while running off the power bank. A normal USB charger is 5V and up to 2A output . I believe a 2A output will be completely fine, and even a lower 1A output will still be fine, as long as it isn't some weird combination of 20,000 mah and 1A output, which really never happens, the larger chargers all support a variety of outputs from 2A to 3A output.

The idea is that even if they aren't fine, they'll be fine enough, because they'll be depleted well before the switch reaches 0 (a cheaper 2500-5000 mah charger wouldn't even last more than 2-4 hours). Which I honestly don't even think will be the case, they'll hold the charge pretty well while running off the power bank. A normal USB charger is 5V and up to 2A output . I believe a 2A output will be completely fine, and even a lower 1A output will still be fine, as long as it isn't some weird combination of 20,000 mah and 1A output, which really never happens, the larger chargers all support a variety of outputs from 2A to 3A output.

Wouldn't output voltage be a concern at that point? Standard USB does 5V, but Apple's chargers do some crazy shit. They all do 5.2V at 2.4A, but the 29W one also does 18.5V at 2A, the 61W is also 20.3V at 3A and 9V at 3A, and the 87W one also does 20.2V at 4.3A and 9V at 3A

I only know the very basics of charging and electricity so I really am asking. Wouldn't the output voltage of whatever your charging with (battery pack, wall adapter) have to match what the Switch supports coming in?

Malakai

When reading up on it, source HDMI output to a Displayport Monitor will not work. However, I'm wondering if a HDMI to Displayport cable will work with the Switch due to Switch dock converting to Displayport signal to HDMI.

Top Bottom