• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vagina piercings to count as FGM in the UK, even if they are consensual

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31938409

What.

All women who have a pierced vagina will be classified as having suffered female genital mutilation (FGM), the Department of Health says.
Even if an adult consents to having it done, she will still be said to have undergone a "harmful procedure".
The Department of Health says it will take "every precaution" to record "abusive" genital piercings.
But the Tattoo and Piercing Industry Union (TPIU) has told Newsbeat body piercing is "in no way related" to FGM.
"It undermines the serious nature of FGM to in any way compare it to a consensual body piercing. FGM is often carried out on minors by force and clearly without consent," says spokesman Marcus Henderson.
More than 200 FGM-related cases were investigated by the police nationally in the past five years.
The government advises you to contact the NSPCC if you or someone you know is worried about FGM - and if there is immediate risk you should tell the police.

One London-based professional piercer, who wanted to remain anonymous, says his customers do not consider genital piercings to be at all similar to FGM.
"It's nothing to do with mutilation," he says. "I think [piercing] is more to do with adornment of the body or the discovery of new sensations."
He says he thoroughly checks photo identification before undertaking any piercing work and would never do a procedure on anyone under the age of 18.

This goes beyond me, it really does.

grumble

Sorry, adult + no victim = not a crime. I guess tere is an argument that it could be a loophole for fgm though.

zeemumu

Clitoral hood piercings can get some enhanced sensitivity during sex. Jewelry hits the clitoris/vibrates etc. Scary possible effect is nerve damage for an actual clitoris piercing.

The risk/reward doesn't sound worth it. I'll add it to the #4 spot of risky sex maneuvers, right under the "filling your abdomen with air" fetish, anything involving underwater, and the Lament Configuration.

giga

America should have never let the British colonies become independent. Time to spread some freedom.

DrBo42

The risk/reward doesn't sound worth it. I'll add it to the #4 spot of risky sex maneuvers, right under the "filling your abdomen with air" fetish, anything involving underwater, and the Lament Configuration.

Well the clitoral hood piercing is the more common one which either is placed vertically to rest on the clitoris or vertical to make occasional contact. Those don't have any nerve damage concerns, only real risk is that it's easier for STD transmission. Or you get the jewelry caught on something. Haha.

Falcs

Banned
Took the words out of my mouth. Sadly not the foreskins out or the rabbis'.
pachah1.png

I'd embed the illustration but it's a little gory despite the clinical line drawings, but look at the catastrophic mutilation in the type 3 circumcision in this image.

Then think of a young woman getting a piercing on a Saturday night dare.

It's absolutely disgusting to equate the latter to a borderline warcrime.

way more

Yet the Prince Albert on men is not counted? Way to make sure you also protect men, battle the patriarchy and all that.

Showaddy

I know they wanted to do something to try and counter the rising numbers of religious FGM but they couldn't get much lazier than this.

kyser73

From the rest of the article, which clearly no-one has bothered clicking on:

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "While there are challenges in this area and adult women may have genital piercings, in some communities girls are forced to have them.
"The World Health Organisation has quite rightly defined this as a form of FGM.

So, the UK is following WHO guidelines about the definition of FGM.

There is no mention or talk of a ban, nor of restricting access to piercing for adults.

What it does enable is the prosecution for anyone practicing vaginal piercing on anyone under 18 under the laws specifically outlawing FGM.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Übermatik;156507964 said:
Meanwhile circumcision on minors is fine.

Not in the UK it isn't, only for medical reasons and only then as a last resort.

As far as the NHS is concerned anyway.

TDLink

Definitely should not classified as FGM but I don't exactly support piercing genitals (male or female) so I am sort of in favour of anything that helps prevent people from doing that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Definitely should not classified as FGM but I don't exactly support piercing genitals (male or female) so I am sort of in favour of anything that helps prevent people from doing that.
Spoken like a true Brit.

a0278d6ebd9591c39e398b65ed9c5dd9d7d6ea7686578f1088d41908c6b92ca4.jpg

I'm in favor of taxing cigarettes heavily because I don't support smoking, but I would in no way support making them illegal.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean I guess it technically is mutilation, so this should illustrate that the broadened potential of the word "female genital mutilation" shouldn't always be inherently negative. Or something.

PJV3

From the rest of the article, which clearly no-one has bothered clicking on:

So, the UK is following WHO guidelines about the definition of FGM.

There is no mention or talk of a ban, nor of restricting access to piercing for adults.

What it does enable is the prosecution for anyone practicing vaginal piercing on anyone under 18 under the laws specifically outlawing FGM.

Seems reasonable, the health service judges all sort of stuff in case of abuse.

British puritanism strikes again. I've got no problem with trying to protect young girls from this sort of thing, but to classify it as FGM if you're a consenting adult is just ridiculous.

Frodo

What is wrong with the UK government and vaginas? No squirting, no female orgasm, no piercings...

While Female Genital Mutilation legislation is very very very welcomed, this is just ridiculous.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
All women who have a pierced vagina will be classified as having suffered female genital mutilation (FGM), the Department of Health says.
Even if an adult consents to having it done, she will still be said to have undergone a "harmful procedure".

file.jpg

Viremira

Stupid people, comparing them to FGM is awful FGM is a serious issue clit piercings are a person choice god I'm starting to hate this country.

How long till all tatts,piercing, body mods become illegal here lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom