• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver Housing Market: 33% of Home Sales to Chinese Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinaar

I think there should be restrictions, just because for citizens, it's hard to buy property that is in-line with work-life balance. Especially when housing is artificially inflated by foreign investors all the while Canadian citizens cannot afford anything because they are governed by local salaries/minimum wages/provincial taxes/job markets/etc, which foreign rich investors aren't invested/affected by in one iota.

This isn't just Vancouver. This is a serious problem happening in just about every major city along the West Coast.

And it's not going to stop.

The difference is cities like Seattle, San Francisco, LA have gigantic companies anchoring the economy. Vancouver is an economic wasteland where people are proud of relative nobodies like Hootsuite.

Gitaroo

This isn't just Vancouver. This is a serious problem happening in just about every major city along the West Coast.

And it's not going to stop.

Lol wish this would happen to alberta, otherwise I would still be employed. Honestly though, I am surprised that no investors has look at alberta at all, condos are half the price of Vancouver, houses are 1/3 - 1/4 the price. Both Edmonton and Calgary are decent enough cities.

From the Globe and Mail and exactly what everyone has been saying for awhile:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/housing/study-likely-to-fuel-debate-on-foreign-investment-in-canadian-real-estate/article29371679/

TLDR: 33% of home sales in Vancouver have been to Chinese buyers looking to hide money from their government and avoid a devaluation. Home purchases have created a massive housing bubble in the city pricing many residents out.

Miami is going through the same thing, tons of foreign investors buying up condos and homes and pricing out the average resident. I'm dying to leave the city and go somewhere where I dont feel like im barely making it every month.

I moved to Pasadena from the Midwest 6 years ago and currently live on the border between San Gabriel and Temple City. It's alarming how much housing (or at least rent) prices have risen just in the past 6 years. As bad as it sucks for me, I guess I can't complain too much because I came from the Midwest out here for a career and I'm not a local looking to start a family here.

In my defense, I underpaid for my first apartment here and have lost subsequent apartments due to not wanting/being able to overpay the going price for the unit.

Blues1990

Burst, bubble! Burst!

It's never going to burst, is it...?
With the way things are going right now, it's definitely going to be a very loud "bang".

For myself, my mum & I had just finish paying the mortgage for our home in North Vancouver, & it has definitely taken a load off our minds. I can finally start saving again, for starters.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I feel like there have been an onslaught of articles about Vancouver's housing problem and the exodus of young people from it in the last few weeks. Has there been some major development I've missed or is this just the pot boiling over at this point?

Sydney has the same problem

Non residents can only buy new build by law : so condos are filling up with overseas owned apartments to let (or empty). They are built toe marketed overseas.

But there is no gift tax in Australia so resident but Chinese origin students and Chinese Australians with connections buy anything they can get their hands on with money from the mainland.

The median price has been over 1m for a house anywhere, and most of Sydney, by land area, is barely more than suburban sprawl, far from jobs and services.

There is a lot of simmering anger but the boomers are too busy making coin selling up their family homes for inflated numbers, so the government literally had no statistics on it and doesn't want any.

shira

This is a good video regarding this phenomenon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoeUxzUR4ec

And their sports cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8sSKwS_gU

fail.gif
fail.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like there have been an onslaught of articles about Vancouver's housing problem and the exodus of young people from it in the last few weeks. Has there been some major development I've missed or is this just the pot boiling over at this point?

University backs professor who says Asian immigration damages Vancouver

This week, Prof. Duchesne was quoted by CBC as saying the influx of Asians and Chinese to Vancouver was “too fast, too quick,” leading a “beautiful British city” to take on “a strongly Asian character.”

In an interview from Saint John, he stuck by that view Wednesday, describing Vancouver as a city dramatically altered by Chinese immigrants. “Vancouver can still be seen as a city that still remains British in many areas, but also has this strong, growing Asian side. There is this two-faced character to the city,” he said. “The fast pace of the change is bad.”

SRG01

Rich people already pay a lot of taxes. I don't know anything about Vancouver, but there are additional taxes for expensive home purchases in NYC.

Firstly, rich people don't pay as many taxes because of capital gains and dividends in Canadian tax law.

Secondly, no there are no additional taxes for expensive home purchases in Vancouver apart from the standard taxes. There have been recent speculation and vacant house taxes proposed by various politicians and/or academics, but they've been shot down.

Zoe

im just going by the other GAF threads on this and everyone was saying there is a dearth of the young family. Sure, everyone moves further out into the suburbs then: still not healthy for the core Vancouver itself.

I'm looking at Toronto, and the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about is that the people have moved further out into the suburbs, up to 1.5 hours away, and the implications on government services. Last week Toronto district school board announces they need to cut staff, then everyone freaks out and wonders why it's happening. City planning for hasn't planned for this.

That's happening to Austin ISD. Families are moving out to the suburbs while DINKs or investors are buying up properties in the city. Most of the funding comes from attendance, so low student enrollment means less funding.

darscot

Its just a hot topic in the news recently but nothing has changed that I have seen since I bought a house 15 years ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Maybe there is some deeper metric here, but without details this just sounds stupid.

I love that Vancouver is a kind of Asian-British hybrid city. That's specifically why I like it.

If there's some specific point about school competition becoming too serious, or PRC style authoritarianism sneaking in, we could talk... But I don't personally give one shit about preserving the pure "Britishness" of Vancouver. The Asian immigrants are what make this place half interesting...

hey! maybe this is their chance to re-vitalize Atlantic Canada!

Young people should go East Coast

Syriel

Does Canada not have adverse possession laws?

Properties like that would be prime candidates.

The simplest way is for prices to hit an upper limit of what people are willing / able to pay at which point sellers are forced to lower prices until they reach a point where people are willing to buy. If people are already leveraged to the hilt or exhausted their cash it could take significant price reductions before buyers re-enter the market in this case.

That works within the confines of a market, but market rules get distorted when there is a large influx of wealth from outside the market. By comparison, there are more people in California than Canada. On a purely mathematical level, foreign investors could easily dominate the local housing market.

No, what penalty or restriction are you looking to enact on people who are not citizens?

There is nothing inherently wrong with a country restricting property ownership to citizens and permanent residents.

For example, unless things have changed recently, buying residential property in China requires that one be a legal resident of China. Buying commercial property in China requires that the purchasing company be a Chinese company.

rpmurphy

Didn't kind of the same thing happen in the 80s with Japanese investors and Hawaii? That eventually cooled off when the prices got too high right?

Walpurgis

Banned
Disgusting. As far as I am concerned, the more Asian Vancouver looks, the better. These "British" North American cities are all mostly and boring. More cities in Canada should embrace their unique qualities. Montreal is a good example of a beautiful and unique North American city with its French style.

I wouldn't mind if there were any incentive but as things are now, Atlantic Canada is such a dump for employment that people leave to work in Alberta. If the Canadian government actually tried to revitalise the place with jobs, infrastructure and immigrants, I would definitely be down for it.

it like Field of Dreams: If you build it they will come....33% of the property will be owned by the Chinese

...was the directors cut, just like I remember

Decado

Its 33% not 100% and if they buy and keep all the power to them. They brought cash, I say come on in, we all immigrants.
Condos and houses sitting empty aren't good for the economy. A big part of the problem is that some of these ppl don't live here nor do they rent out their places. We're winding up with areas that have building density but without the population density to go with it.

Walpurgis

Banned
Condos and houses sitting empty aren't good for the economy. A big part of the problem is that some of these ppl don't live here nor do they rent out their places. We're winding up with areas that have building density but without the population density to go with it.
Yeah, I more than welcome immigrants but that does pose some problems and something has to be done because it's so wasteful. Politicians have been very slow to move on this issue.

As a First Nations person, I'm not interested in keeping the Britishness of Vancouver. In fact I enjoy that Vancouver is such a diverse place. The problem is however is that British Columbia was planned with Vancouver and Victoria being the hub for people. The skytrain, focalization of government services tends to be in these populated areas. This has led to a discrepancy with every other area that is not Vancouver/Victoria.

One of the problems with this is that diversification has not really happened in B.C outside of Vancouver/Victoria. Those cities are relatively small in area compared to the province they lie in. For the most part services such as healthcare and transit have also been heavily focused in the lower mainland area. Emphasis for economic growth in these regions tends to be with mainly just resource extraction(logging, oil, mining, mills). While these aren't necessarily bad(varies from who you ask), it makes for a sore lack of alternative job options. This makes all the other areas of B.C have less appeal due to the opportunity for different jobs. So while moving out could be an option for current skilled/non-skilled Vancouver residents, the places they would move to are likely not to be within the province. It also makes it harder for people who have disabilities, or those who need health access because you need to go to Vancouver to get these services.

grumble

I would do two things to fix this:

1. Report the identity and source of funds for any non-citizen to their home country's government. That kills corruption and criminal money.

2. Triple property taxes on any house not occupied 183 days or more a year, either by tenant or by owner.

I have no problem with offshore money buying property, but I do have one when it's criminal money or the houses are empty. Empty houses kill cities.

I feel and understand the pain of my Vancouver friends.

I live in miami and all the rich south american people move to miami. Makes it really hard for the locals to compete.

English works fine but everyone speaks spanish everywhere all the time.

There is a lot of simmering anger but the boomers are too busy making coin selling up their family homes for inflated numbers, so the government literally had no statistics on it and doesn't want any.

This is the part that really bothers me. Boomers are having a fucking field day with buying and selling homes and because they're the biggest voter block nobody wants to do anything to fix the affordability problem.

A lot of kids that go to Halifax for school seem to end up staying there. It's probably the main thing offsetting the exodus of young people out of pretty much everywhere else in NS.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's nearly impossible for China to stop the flood. It goes out via Hong Kong. If you compare Hong Kongs report of Imports from China versus China's report of Exports to Hong Kong you will see a massive discrepancy. They are essentially trading the same goods multiple times for higher prices to justify money moving out of the country.

A little while back an attorney wrote a story about how he was contacted by a Chinese company asking for assistance to lose a lawsuit on purpose in the US so it could justify sending out a check.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2016/02/16/china-capital-flight-2-0-lose-a-lawsuit-on-purpose/

Yeah, I saw that thing about the arbitration a little while ago. It's clever.

I don't see how this can end well. In the very least, professionals will move elsewhere to parts of the world where the cost of living is much more reasonable. There have been so many stories in the news about companies having a hard time attracting talent since more and more people are finding out how expensive it is to live in Vancouver. Then there's issues like nursing shortages. I can see more people in that field taking their expertise elsewhere for better pay and cities with a lower cost of living. Continually upward spiraling real estate prices without adequate high paying jobs to support it will turn a city like Vancouver into a withered husk eventually as people are forced to move somewhere else.

Vancouver is a great city. But trying to settle down there seems insane with how the market is going on there. Not like Toronto is that much better either since people are being pushed further and further from the gta. I don't know what I'm going to do in the next 5 years.

One of the newspapers had an interesting piece with somebody who gave Guelph as an example of a good happy medium for professionals. $300k for a townhouse if I remember correctly?

But I know what you mean about TO. In a large social circle, I still have yet to meet anyone who bought their own home without parental help in some way, not necessarily money up front but other ways to help them "save" (eg free car, free rent, pays tuition if they live at home, buy starter condo for them then let them keep the equity growth $ after selling 4 years later).

Mr.Mike

So here's a blog post debunking this 33% number.

http://www.greaterfool.ca/2016/03/24/seriously-7/

The report’s headline conclusion: a third of Van houses are falling into Chinese hands. That compares with the 5% estimate adopted by both the BC government and the provincial realtors’ association, plus a survey of members done by the local real estate board. In other words, what Routledge ‘discovered’ would be a six-fold jump over the best estimate of everybody else.

So, how did he do it? Where did this data come from?

He made it up. Routledge admits it was a “back of the envelope” conclusion that he drew from 100% non-Canadian data that “could have built-in biases that overstate (or understate) the amount of capital inflows.” So, the methodology, whatever it was, probably sucked.

But, wait. We actually do know the methodology. Routledge took total sales figures for purchases by non-US residents from the American National Association of Realtors, which showed a big jump last year in Chinese action. He then found a completely unrelated survey done by the UK-based Financial Times which (in a multiple choice format) queried 77 high net worth Chinese guys who had purchased real estate abroad. Yes, 77 people. “Admittedly not a statistically significant sample size,” Routledge admits. No kidding.

Anyway, he took the results of the Times survey then applied the ratios of buyers in Vancouver (there were nine of them) and multiplied the US numbers by this factor to come up with a total probable dollar investment value for the YVR market – assuming any of this was representative of the larger wholes.

That led him to this: “One could hypothesize that for every four high net worth buyers from China who purchase a U.S. residence, one purchases a residence in Toronto; and, for every three high net worth investors from China who purchase a U.S. residence, one purchases a residence in Vancouver.” Of course, given the fact Routledge had zero Canadian stats to go on, he could only deal in probable dollar values. That means, even if he were correct, there is no way of knowing how many homes in Vancouver went into Chinese nationals’ hands. It certainly was not 33%.

Tiktaalik

So, what's the percentage of buyers actually living in the homes they purchased?

Vancouver did a study on this very recently and around 99% of detached houses and townhouses are actually occupied. Around 12% of condos are unoccupied, but that rate has been completely flat throughout the massive rises in housing valuations in recent years, so that level of unoccupancy is not a driver of house prices.

This 33% study has some deeply flawed methodology, but there is certainly a significant amount of foreign capital flooding into the Vancouver area, and that has real effects on the valuation of houses in the entire region, even outside of Metro Vancouver.

Fusebox

Banned
Jokes on them, us Vancouver young people are going to buy a bunch of houses in China now.

You need to have lived or worked in China for a year first and then you still won't ever own the land your property is on. Unfortunately there's no reciprocation to be found here, just increased housing prices wherever they decide to start snapping up properties.

Mrmartel

Banned
Anyone noticed the changing attitudes of white liberal minded people that live in Vancouver/Victoria/Lower Mainland? I'm sure 20 years ago they were of mostly progressive/pc mindset. But the ones I've been meeting that are moving back to the prairies or meet on trips in SA and Europe are pretty sour about the whole thing. I've heard some pretty harsh words for the Asians in particular in B.C.

I suppose a lot of that anger comes from people that grew up in the core or a suburb with their boomer parents, only to be stuck with their parents with absolutely no hope of owning or living in the city they grew up in.

But I thought it was an interesting contrast compared to what one would typically think of as a "open and inclusive" West Coaster. Diversity has its limits maybe, when it actually starts affecting people personally.

This is actually not an issue in Vancouver. There is not a problem of unoccupied homes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...but-condos-most-likely-empty/article29072573/

Foreign millionaires are immigrating to Canada and living here.

That report and the methodology used has enough holes in it to strain my kraft dinner.

People need to start to realize there are many issues at play here and not just one big problem.

Anyone noticed the changing attitudes of white liberal minded people that live in Vancouver/Victoria/Lower Mainland? I'm sure 20 years ago they were of mostly progressive/pc mindset. But the ones I've been meeting that are moving back to the prairies or meet on trips in SA and Europe are pretty sour about the whole thing. I've heard some pretty harsh words for the Asians in particular in B.C..

There are unbelievable amount of closet racists in this city that seem to think it's okay to just start blathering their bullshit lately. Unfortunately that meant for a long time that even suggesting that foreign ownership could be at play here got you shut down as a racist. The bubble has gotten so big, though, that people are starting to get very angry and all sides are being listened to a bit more.

Tiktaalik

That report and the methodology used has enough holes in it to strain my kraft dinner.

What are some? There some potential problems but in my opinion they're pretty minor, and if you read the report the authors acknowledged their limits and tried to compensate for them.

This unoccupied housing study was well received by most of the media and academics that follow the Vancouver housing affordability problem. I don't think many people had any issues with it.

Same thing is happening in Los Angeles, particularly east in San Gabriel Valley. In past 5 years or so, home prices in Arcadia have bumped up 30-50%. There are so many multi-millionaire mansions that have been constructed. Chinese buyers are paying all in cash too, from what I've heard. And there are Ferraris, Mclarens driving around in the area now which was unheard of 10+ years ago. All these fancy sports cars are owned by young people too.

This is a good video regarding this phenomenon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoeUxzUR4ec

And their sports cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8sSKwS_gU

....huh. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom