• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

So in the few months I've been vegan, without wanting to, I've lost 10kg.
I don't feel like I eat that much less than before, but I do think what I'm eating is overall much more healthy. Cheese and Milk seem to be mainly fat anyway. So cutting that out of my diet has seemingly automatically reduced my weight.
Anyone else experience this.

What's amusing about it is the fact that at lunch in the canteen I usually have by far the fullest plate stuffed with various vegetables. And the others often comment on the amount and my appetite.
Anyone else experience this?

Nevertheless the weightloss has to stop now, or I'll be getting into the sub 19 BMI underweight range.

For reference I'm 186cm at 66 kg.

catmincer

Vegetables are naturally low in calories so if that's all you're eating you'll lose weight. Maybe add things like pulses or tofu to your diet. Both high in protein and low in fat.

Vegetables are naturally low in calories so if that's all you're eating you'll lose weight. Maybe add things like pulses or tofu to your diet. Both high in protein and low in fat.

I obviously have rice/pasta/potatoes with my lunch too, and am eating more and more tofu and legumes to up my protein intake.

dude

dude
A question for GymGAF.

I want to pay more attention to what I eat after my regular workout.
The last few days I've just been eating smoked tofu after gym to get protein into the system.
Any other ideas, suggestions or pointers as to what I should pay attention to or try?

Also I've come to really like smoked tofu. I can see how carnivores might think its tasteless, but I almost feel as if I've forgotten how good real meat tasted. But to me the consistency and taste of smoked tofu goes great with so many dishes (or even on its own). It's as if my taste buds have been freed from the desire for everything to be super intense tasting with heavy use of flavour enhancer.

If you can find it for a reasonable price, try a Spirulina shake. In Tel Aviv at least most vegan places offer one, and you can easily buy frozen Spirulina to put in homemade shakes. It's basically super-food from the future and because it's 60% protein it's great to have after work outs.

a bag of raw cashews (not roasted and not salted)
Put them in a container with some warm water for a couple of hours.

After they're soft, drain the water and put them in a food processor or blender with a cup of water, 2 spoons of Olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, about one spoon of lemon juice and as much nutritional yeast and salt as you like. Then blend them until smooth.
It'll be a bit more like soft cheese, but the oven turns it prefect. If you want it to be a little more "cheesy" you can add 2.5 spoons of Tapeoka flour (I didn't have any.)

Stupid question, but what is this supposed to to taste like?
Just making it for the first time and we are very unsure.
It tastes very yeasty at the moment. Maybe I used to much yeast?
Will it also improve in the oven?
The way it is now, I am willing to try it, but my so doesn't want it on her half of the food. :p

dude

dude
Stupid question, but what is this supposed to to taste like?
Just making it for the first time and we are very unsure.
It tastes very yeasty at the moment. Maybe I used to much yeast?
Will it also improve in the oven?
The way it is now, I am willing to try it, but my so doesn't want it on her half of the food. :p

Mmm it does get better in the oven, but it should taste pretty good even before, so maybe you added too much yeast. I should have said for reference that I use like one-two tablespoons...

derFeef

So, most of my colleagues know that I am vegan now. I am encountering a vegan/vegeterian discussion almost every day since it was known. It's really tiresome and I am bailing out of it most of the time - not because of stupid or stubborn opinions, but because they are passively bringing it up every time. I don't even want to talk about it, or try to convince someone - but somehow I am getting treated like it's my only thing that's going on in my head the whole time.

And then I get comments like "We talk about this every day, just leave it!" without me even MENTIONIONG the word "vegan" for myself. It's really tough sometimes and I am leaving out coffe break more and more because of that.

So, most of my colleagues know that I am vegan now. I am encountering a vegan/vegeterian discussion almost every day since it was known. It's really tiresome and I am bailing out of it most of the time - not because of stupid or stubborn opinions, but because they are passively bringing it up every time. I don't even want to talk about it, or try to convince someone - but somehow I am getting treated like it's my only thing that's going on in my head the whole time.

And then I get comments like "We talk about this every day, just leave it!" without me even MENTIONIONG the word "vegan" for myself. It's really tough sometimes and I am leaving out coffe break more and more because of that.

'Did you see that ludicrous display last night?'

I know your feels.

Celegus

I know exactly what you mean, that's why I don't even tell co-workers or people I don't know very well. It's happened to me time and time again, and it's very annoying. Some people seem get very defensive about what they eat and why, despite me never even once trying to "convert" them or even saying much on why I do it unless they specifically ask. If it does come up, I typically just say that being vegan works for me and change the subject.

Pinkuss

Yeah, get this constantly; it's something I rarely bring up though and usually ignore (unless I'm randomly excited about a new product). My housemate (who I work on the same team as) discusses it a lot though and I just sit there working/ignoring it. (Not a fan of his reasons for Veganism though).

Strampas

Neo Member
Hello. I've been a vegetarian for some time, and have decided to go vegan, starting today. Though I haven't decided if I should go all vegan, or just eat plant based food. I feel kinda good about it, but there are situations where it feels it's going to be hard being a vegan. Like not being able to go out and have a beer, and not knowing if it's vegan or not. I live in Sweden, and I've looked up a site which lists vegan-friendly-beers for example. But it's kinda hard to know, because it isn't written on the beer cans how it has been filtered. Don't know how to deal with those situations. But it's nice to see a vegan thread here!

Pinkuss

Hello. I've been a vegetarian for some time, and have decided to go vegan, starting today. Though I haven't decided if I should go all vegan, or just eat plant based food. I feel kinda good about it, but there are situations where it feels it's going to be hard being a vegan. Like not being able to go out and have a beer, and not knowing if it's vegan or not. I live in Sweden, and I've looked up a site which lists vegan-friendly-beers for example. But it's kinda hard to know, because it isn't written on the beer cans how it has been filtered. Don't know how to deal with those situations. But it's nice to see a vegan thread here!

What brands of beer do you have over there? I find beer/pubs are rarely a pain (although I was in a grotty pub around here the other night which only had Vegan beer in bottles which was pricey).

ngower

Beer is the one area where I don't make a huge fuss over my veganism. If it's a milk stout or something I'll avoid it, but that fish liver extract or whatever...I just let it slide. Honey and beer, the two aspects of veganism I don't abide by. You have to sort of decide if you want that to be a priority and commit to it or juts let it go. Same can be said of a number of aspects of veganism. Or any diet, really.

Strampas

Neo Member
I know like two swedish beers that are vegan, and I've heard that many german beers are also vegan, cause I think they have a law about the process of making beer or something. But I'm not going to be too hard on myself in the beginning. I'll try to avoid it the best I can.

Famassu

Solution? Start brewing your own beer and/or wine. :p

Going to try a kind of red pesto but with butter beans instead of nuts. I'll be using

A small bagful of butter beans
3-4 garlic cloves
Small onion
Sundried tomatoes and the oil they are in
Cheezly Edam cheese
Basil
Salt
Kale (cooked for a couple of minutes)

Just throw them all to a blender and see what it turns into. :3

I know like two swedish beers that are vegan, and I've heard that many german beers are also vegan, cause I think they have a law about the process of making beer or something. But I'm not going to be too hard on myself in the beginning. I'll try to avoid it the best I can.

yep, pretty much all german beers are vegan as far as I know. but yes especially drinks can be a bit tricky, don't stress yourself! :)

also I just discovered this thread, glad something like this finally exists on GAF. thanks dude!

I would say being vegan is all about doing what you can realistically do.
Every vegan will have to compromise occasionally.
And that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm not vegan/vegetarian, but I eat and cook tons of veggies.

I recently got this cookbook. It's amazing for those wanting to flavor their recipes without animal products.

It's organized by ingredients and which ones go well with each others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8289AA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had a similar book from the library when I started out. It was very helpful to learn how to substitute what in all manner of cooking situations.
Nowadays I mostly just wing it though. ;)

derFeef

Yeah, you will have to compromise.

We were invited to dinner at a restaurant once and ordered a meal vegan befhorehand. Then at the restaurant I asked if they got our reserved vegan meal. "Uhm, yes, but it's still glazed with egg"

I was of course angry and facepalmed hard, but they did not have any other meal for us except salad (and then...). If it were just the two of us we would have rejected it, but with 10 people at the table and an empty stomach... what do you do.

ngower

I made these buffalo cauliflower "wings" tonight and it was really good. Used goddess dressing instead of making the vegan ranch and that was awesome. Super easy and cheap to make. Would definitely recommend giving these a go.

I made these buffalo cauliflower "wings" tonight and it was really good. Used goddess dressing instead of making the vegan ranch and that was awesome. Super easy and cheap to make. Would definitely recommend giving these a go.

Awesome, more tempura variants can only be a good thing. :D

Yeah, you will have to compromise.

We were invited to dinner at a restaurant once and ordered a meal vegan befhorehand. Then at the restaurant I asked if they got our reserved vegan meal. "Uhm, yes, but it's still glazed with egg"

I was of course angry and facepalmed hard, but they did not have any other meal for us except salad (and then...). If it were just the two of us we would have rejected it, but with 10 people at the table and an empty stomach... what do you do.

I think it is important to not beat yourself up about a meal not always being vegan. It is going to happen from time to time.

Also, I just want to mention that the Thug Kitchen cookbook is damn good. It may be my new favorite.

derFeef

I want to start making my own protein shakes, any good recipes you fine people can recommend?
Like a "supershake" that has all I need but still tastes good? :)

Bastos

Wish I could eat all this "natural" food. It's not about preference. I really CAN'T eat vegetables, etc, the taste and texture are awful to me, feels so weird to eat a plant.

And yes, I'm serious, I mostly eat rice and beans, pasta, cheeses and all kinds of meat.

I really wish I could enjoy all these food, it would be healthier and I'd have more options when eating but I tried everything and the taste just feels off for most of it.

I also don't eat fruits, texture is weird as hell too, but I drink natural juices no problem :p

I'm weird :c

Nezumi

I'm currently on a three week cleanse program that only consists of vegan meals. I'm not that big a meat eater anyway but I thought that I would miss the dairy products a lot more. But so far I'm really satisfied with drinking almond milk and eating cashew cremes. This stuff is really tasty.

I want to start making my own protein shakes, any good recipes you fine people can recommend?
Like a "supershake" that has all I need but still tastes good? :)

I too would like to know this. ;)

I'm weird :c
yea, not really sure what advice I could possibly give you. so just a stir fry of various vegetables has a weird texture for you too?

I'm currently on a three week cleanse program that only consists of vegan meals. I'm not that big a meat eater anyway but I thought that I would miss the dairy products a lot more. But so far I'm really satisfied with drinking almond milk and eating cashew cremes. This stuff is really tasty.

So what's your plan afterwards? ;)

bsp

Has anyone else experienced a sudden increase in "headrush" frequency after being vegan? I have been vegan for a little over three months now, but during the last 2 weeks I have experienced headrushes from even the smallest changes in elevation (e.g. desk chair/car seat to standing). I know it's a common thing to experience, but I have never had it this severe in my life. I am getting enough calories a day (1400-1800) and I have never had a problem with blood pressure.

Stir fry? You mean like yakisoba veggies?

I can eat those, I just won't have any pleasure doing so.

No I mean just chop some veggies up (Paprika, Zucchini, tomatoes, whatever really) throw them in a pan and fry them a little with some rice or something.

Has anyone else experienced a sudden increase in "headrush" frequency after being vegan? I have been vegan for a little over three months now, but during the last 2 weeks I have experienced headrushes from even the smallest changes in elevation (e.g. desk chair/car seat to standing). I know it's a common thing to experience, but I have never had it this severe in my life. I am getting enough calories a day (1400-1800) and I have never had a problem with blood pressure.

Nothing I've heard of.

derFeef

Check your blood pressure. Since I have gone vegan my blood pressure has gone down quite a bit. Before I needed to take meds (heart condition) - now I don't need it anymore!

I still have headrush from time to time, mostly if I don't sleep well or I am tired - but that's connected to my condition.

bsp

Nothing I've heard of.

Ah, alright. Thanks anyways :)

Check your blood pressure. Since I have gone vegan my blood pressure has gone down quite a bit. Before I needed to take meds (heart condition) - now I don't need it anymore!

I still have headrush from time to time, mostly if I don't sleep well or I am tired - but that's connected to my condition.

I'll make sure to do that. Thanks!

While I don't see myself becoming a full vegan afterwards (I just love cheese too much) I do think I'll integrate a lot of the recipes and ingredients into my normal diet.

Have you tried vegan alternatives to cheese like Daiya? It's a little bit more oily but still melts and tastes great.

Famassu

Unless you are trying to lose weight, 1400 is in no way or shape enough for anyone, man or woman. The average adult male can easily burn through 2000-2200+ calories per day even without doing much. Women need around 1800 calories. Unless all you do is lay in bed all day, then I'd try to eat a bit more than 1400 calories a day. Both need more if there's any exercise involved and you aren't just sitting around the home/office/car all day.

Nezumi

Have you tried vegan alternatives to cheese like Daiya? It's a little bit more oily but still melts and tastes great.

Some years back I tried some and they weren't good at all. Never heard of daiya, not sure I can get it here (Germany). And even if I were to find some sorts that I like I still don't think it would make up for the vast varieties of cheeses I enjoy. It's just something that I don't want to cut out of my diet for the rest of my life. Same goes for yoghurt by the way. I tried quite a few alternatives and while most of them were really tasty in their own right they did not taste like yoghurt at all.
I enjoy what I'm learning during this three weeks and I see it as an enhancement of my diet but I don't plan on restricting myself from my favorite food forever.
I do however always keep an eye out for new products. So I probably wouldn't mind getting stricter in the future if the options got a little bit wider.

bsp

Unless you are trying to lose weight, 1400 is in no way or shape enough for anyone, man or woman. The average adult male can easily burn through 2000-2200+ calories per day even without doing much. Women need around 1800 calories. Unless all you do is lay in bed all day, then I'd try to eat a bit more than 1400 calories a day. Both need more if there's any exercise involved and you aren't just sitting around the home/office/car all day.

I am trying to lose fat, though. 1400 is a bit lower than the recommended calorie deficit for me (5'11" 210lb male), but that is on the days I do not bike or run. I am most commonly at the 1700-1800 range. Occasionally I'll have days where I consume 2000-2200, and I still experience headrushes.

While I don't see myself becoming a full vegan afterwards (I just love cheese too much) I do think I'll integrate a lot of the recipes and ingredients into my normal diet.

I love(d) cheese too, leaving it out of my diet has been far easier than I thought it would be.

GeekyDad

I am trying to lose fat, though. 1400 is a bit lower than the recommended calorie deficit for me (5'11" 210lb male), but that is on the days I do not bike or run. I am most commonly at the 1700-1800 range. Occasionally I'll have days where I consume 2000-2200, and I still experience headrushes.

5'11, 210 lb male. You might be starving yourself to be honest, especially if you're active. When you do regular exercise, your metabolism will be faster even during rest. Sounds like you're trying to lose fat fast, not merely lose fat. And it could also be an issue of balance in your diet -- lack of iron, etc. It could also be low blood sugar. Are you eat many small meals (250-350 calories) throughout the day, or two to three large portions? Keeping your sugar level consistent would seem a great benefit to one's health.

bsp

5'11, 210 lb male. You might be starving yourself to be honest, especially if you're active. When you do regular exercise, your metabolism will be faster even during rest. Sounds like you're trying to lose fat fast, not merely lose fat. And it could also be an issue of balance in your diet -- lack of iron, etc. It could also be low blood sugar. Are you eat many small meals (250-350 calories) throughout the day, or two to three large portions? Keeping your sugar level consistent would seem a great benefit to one's health.

I eat every two or three hours, so my sugar levels should be quite consistent throughout the day. Iron deficiency can probably be ruled out -- I eat iron-fortified Raisin Bran almost exclusively for breakfast, and snack on seeds and nuts throughout my day. Black beans/rice are also things I have a few times a week.

I'm going to bump my calorie intake to 1800+ a day and see where that takes me. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

Famassu

Any recommendations for the use of butter beans? I made red pesto type thing using them and it turned out delicious, but I have quite a lot left over and would want to try something different. Maybe not something simple and boring like just throwing them into a lasagne or soup, but something a bit more special I can use butter beans in.

Any recommendations for the use of butter beans? I made red pesto type thing using them and it turned out delicious, but I have quite a lot left over and would want to try something different. Maybe not something simple and boring like just throwing them into a lasagne or soup, but something a bit more special I can use butter beans in.

What's wrong with Lasagne?
:p

My wife is vegan so that means I have to eat vegan (I will never be a vegan myself). I was impressed though as she has tried for a while for something to emulate chicken for me and she did rather well with this soya stuff. She tried seitan but its horrible I don't get the hype.

derFeef

My wife is vegan so that means I have to eat vegan (I will never be a vegan myself). I was impressed though as she has tried for a while for something to emulate chicken for me and she did rather well with this soya stuff. She tried seitan but its horrible I don't get the hype.

Do you "need" meat? I would rather have her make some original vegan meal for you than meat replacement stuff, much better imo!
This way you will not be disappointed with the expectations and just eat something that is different and new for you.

Famassu

What's wrong with Lasagne?
:p
Nothing wrong with lasagne, but just throwing whole butter beans into my typical lasagne recipe isn't the most imaginative way of using them. :p just wondered if there are some good butter bean recipes where the butter bean is (one of) the main ingredient(s). Anyways, I ended up doing some kind of altered (not-at-all-like-)hummus stuff

Butter beans
garlic cloves
cumin
some red & yellow paprika left overs
olive oil
salt
black pepper
cayanne pepper
some spinach
lemon juice

+ had to add some water because my blender was struggling with all the butter beans, slowing down and overheating :S

Do you "need" meat? I would rather have her make some original vegan meal for you than meat replacement stuff, much better imo!
This way you will not be disappointed with the expectations and just eat something that is different and new for you.

Sadly I'm a very fussy eater and I don't eat much and she had thankfully been very accommodating with this fact which I appreciate a lot. I figure the least I can do is indulge her with her veganism. I am by no means a meat freak or anything but I love my chicken (I don't really eat anyother meat other than a lamb shank every now and then and I love my gravy too). I try new things all the time for her but nothing really clicks for me I'm strange when it comes to these things its a long complicated story. I'm happy though this soya chicken stuff does a good job of emulating it to the point where I can happily eat it. I guess chicken now will become more of a treat than a staple, which I am fine with because I have a decent substitute. I won't ever be vegan though its not for me. I come from a family that own cattle farms in Guyana and are butchers and what have you so its normal for me and I am fine with it. I am against mass production of meats just not on a smaller scale.

Before I'll admit I thought veganism was rather ridiculous but after sometime with my wife I understand it more now but I will never be one myself.

I just have to give these a +1. My wife discovered cauliflower wings at some point last winter, and we ended up having them multiple times a week. So good, especially if you have a nice cool dip.

Top Bottom