• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

For anyone looking for a meat substitute I highly recommend Jackfruit if you can find it. It's not really high in protein or anything so its more for flavor, but it tastes amazing and has the consistency of pulled pork.

I personally haven't used it in any of my cooking but a local restaurant uses it on Nachos and Tacos. They smoke it and use their homemade sauce with it. Here is a recipe I found with a quick search to give you an idea. http://brazenkitchen.com/2013/07/03/jackfruit-carnitas-and-your-summer-party-menu/

images

dude

dude
For anyone looking for a meat substitute I highly recommend Jackfruit if you can find it. It's not really high in protein or anything so its more for flavor, but it tastes amazing and has the consistency of pulled pork.

I personally haven't used it in any of my cooking but a local restaurant uses it on Nachos and Tacos. They smoke it and use their homemade sauce with it. Here is a recipe I found with a quick search to give you an idea. http://brazenkitchen.com/2013/07/03/jackfruit-carnitas-and-your-summer-party-menu/

images

That looks so cool, where do you but that??

and that tofu and kale dish looks amazing. Recepie? :)

Famassu

So what's the best way to bake tofu? I'm afraid it will just turn to dust in the oven.
Just make sure to drain the excess fluid out of the tofu (some press it against paper towels, but that's kinda wasteful, so I'd use a kitchen towel or something you can wash; note: this is a somewhat lengthy process, it could take 20+ minutes to drain most of the fluid out) so that they bake a bit better, then just cube the tofu clump into smaller pieces, spray some oil on them, put them into the oven (around 200*C) for 30-40 minutes and turn them over halfway through so that both sides are nice brown & crisp. Marinade them for a few hours/overnight in whatever marinade you like if you want some more flavor to them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm not a vegan, but I'm dating one at the moment, do you guys have any recommendations for unique Christmas gifts tailored towards vegans? This is new territory for me, and I don't want to go super cliche.

O.DOGG

I'm not a vegan, but I'm dating one at the moment, do you guys have any recommendations for unique Christmas gifts tailored towards vegans? This is new territory for me, and I don't want to go super cliche.

A good blender, if she doesn't have one (and if you can afford one) :)

bake a vegan version of her favorite christmas cookies or something like that :>

Pinkuss

A blender sounds good; other than that can't really think of Vegan ideas and I've dated a few Vegans :/ (if in the UK Booja Booja truffles are expensive and gorgeous though). The best thing is probably if she's eating with you making a delicious Vegan Christmas dinner.

images

I've been trying to find jackfruit in stores for months now, since my wife found some cool-looking recipes. Haven't seen it anywhere yet, though.

If she's into cooking, kitchen stuff is always good. Like others have said, a good blender is very useful. I just bought a spirulizer, which you use to turn veggies like zucchini and carrots into spiral noodles, and we get a tonne of use out of it.

dude

dude
oh like what? still unsure what I'm going to do this year. my family is cooking up some great meat thing as always of course..

Well, basic sweet stuff - Vegan Gingerbread cookies, a vegan alcoholic nut drink (which serves as a type of eggnog), vegan cupcakes etc. I'm actually Jewish so I only know Christmas as a party-type deal, not really as like, an actual dinner :p

Food processors are basically the best thing a vegan could have.Basically, if someone bought me a kitchenware and a supply of vegan pantry stuff (hard to get spices and materials etc.) and a nice big vegan cookbook I'd be pretty thrilled! Look at prices and see how deep you want to go :)

What is your budget? A kickass blender is always a good choice, as several have suggested. On a smaller budget, I'd suggest getting a nice cookbook and offer to make a recipe from it together every week.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I like the idea of a blender. She's always complaining about hers, and uses it for everything seeing as all she does is cook.

If she's into cooking, kitchen stuff is always good. Like others have said, a good blender is very useful. I just bought a spirulizer, which you use to turn veggies like zucchini and carrots into spiral noodles, and we get a tonne of use out of it.
This sounds really cool too, I might look into this as well. Thanks!

My so made a delicious lasagne yesterday.
IFYaOvo.jpg

the main sauce was
  • celery root
  • carrot
  • tomatoe purée
  • onions
  • vegetable stock
  • seasoning to taste
  • peas
Vegan béchamel
  • margarine
  • flower
  • soy cream
Topping
  • cashew
  • lemon juice
  • garlic
  • sun dried tomatoes
  • some water
  • Ts nutritional yeast

When I was travelling through Fukuoka in Japan I went to a veggie burger restaurant, that sold nothing but different kinds of veggie burger and veggie hot dog. It was the best veggie burger I ever had and it was always a shame that it was so far away. Well I just found out that they moved to Tokyo during the summer and it's two stops away from me on the express. HAPPY DAYS!

GeekyDad

Made the cauliflower buffalo wings tonight (with white rice) for my family, and it was quite a hit. I was pleasantly surprised with the texture. I used all-purpose flour for this first batch, as I didn't want to have a thing of rice flour going to waste if we didn't like it, but next time I will definitely use the rice flour. I imagine it will be a little lighter like that, But still, it was delicious.

DSFan1970

Was wondering about good vegetarian restaurants in Beijing and in Tokyo, Japan. Headed there next month. Looking for good places. Of course I can turn to google but thought some perspective from gaffers would be better! :)

Public service announcement, make this delicious East-Prussian Gingerbread!

Ingredients
  • 250 g Agave Syrup
  • 250 g Sugar beet syrup
  • 200 g Margarine
  • 4 Ts Cocoa powder
  • 3 pkts Gingerbread Spices
  • 500 g Sugar

• 1.5 pkts Bakingpowder
  • 1500 g Flour
  • 200 g ground almonds
  • 150 g raisins
  • 6 Ts soy flour with 15 Ts water
  • Rum aroma
  • 50 ml vegetable oil
  • 125 ml strong coffee

• 125 g icing sugar
  • sprinkles

Cooking Instructions
  1. Slowly cook and melt everything from the first ingredients block.
  2. Mix the soy flour with water and add that to all the other ingredients from the second block.
  3. Mix all the above and kneed well to one big lump.
  4. Wrap in cling film or a tupperware container and let it sit for a day.
  5. Roll out on tray and cook for 20 minutes at 175°C.
  6. While still warm spread the liquid icing sugar on top and sprinkle with plenty of colourful sprinkles. Immediately cut into slices while hot and let it cool down and dry.

Ingredients
  • 250 g Agave Sirup
  • 250 g Rübenkraut
  • 200 g Margarine
  • 4 Ts Cocoa
  • 500 g Sugar

• 1.5 pkts Bakingpowder
  • 1500 g Flour
  • 200 g ground almonds
  • 150 g raisins
  • Rum aroma
  • 50 ml vegetable oil
  • 125 ml strong coffee

• 125 g icing sugar
  • sprinkles

Cooking Instructions
  2. Mix the soy flour with water and add that to all the other ingredients from the second block.
  6. While still warm spread the liquid icing sugar on top and sprinkle with plenty of colourful sprinkles. Immediately cut into slices while hot and let it cool down and dry.

I want this now ._.

Xisiqomelir

Hello, V friends.

I am trying to hit my micros as efficiently as possible (max vitamins+minerals with lowest caloric load).

Assume my macros, iron, calcium and B12 are fine from the non-V parts of my diet. What are the best plant foods I can eat to nail the rest?

dude

dude

Ingredients
  • 250 g Agave Sirup
  • 250 g Rübenkraut
  • 200 g Margarine
  • 4 Ts Cocoa
  • 500 g Sugar

• 1.5 pkts Bakingpowder
  • 1500 g Flour
  • 200 g ground almonds
  • 150 g raisins
  • Rum aroma
  • 50 ml vegetable oil
  • 125 ml strong coffee

• 125 g icing sugar
  • sprinkles

Cooking Instructions

Holy shit gonna try it this week. Looks amazing.

ricki42

Was wondering about good vegetarian restaurants in Beijing and in Tokyo, Japan. Headed there next month. Looking for good places. Of course I can turn to google but thought some perspective from gaffers would be better! :)

I spent a few days in Tokyo last year, and it's not easy. I also don't speak Japanese, so that doesn't help. I went to T's Tantan several times, it's all vegan so you don't have to ask or explain anything, and it's located right at Tokyo Station, so it's easy to reach. Otherwise, I ate a lot of Onigiri, just from any convenience store, there are some vegan ones, like Ume or Wakame.

Futureman

Made the cauliflower buffalo wings tonight (with white rice) for my family, and it was quite a hit. I was pleasantly surprised with the texture. I used all-purpose flour for this first batch, as I didn't want to have a thing of rice flour going to waste if we didn't like it, but next time I will definitely use the rice flour. I imagine it will be a little lighter like that, But still, it was delicious.

I found some recipes online but is there one being passed around GAF? I bought a head of cauliflower last night and wanna make these!

GeekyDad

I found some recipes online but is there one being passed around GAF? I bought a head of cauliflower last night and wanna make these!

This is the one I used (provided on the previous page by a fellow GAFfer). I even used the Frank's buffalo sauce, which was very good. The only deviation for me was using (unbleached) all-purpose flour. They were really good. Definitely try it. You might have whatever you need already in your house to make them. It's a very simple recipe. I used parchment paper to bake them on a cookie sheet, so clean-up was minimal.

Futureman

thanks!

Was just about to be like.... uhh what is the cooking temperature and all that? Kinda annoying you have to watch a video and they don't just list it out.

Trying these tonight! Anything good to make along with them? I realize they are more of a party snack, but they will be a side tonight.

GeekyDad

I just made white rice (which is a staple in my household). Her recipe calls for two heads, but I just made one, and it was enough for our family of four. The only thing I would recommend is some type of creamy dressing. The Frank's is pretty hot sauce, for me anyway.

Yeah, a cool creamy sauce is essential. I can't remember the exact recipe, but silken tofu is a good base.

Also, I have to recommend what my wife just made for dinner: eggplant fries. You just chop your eggplant into small strips, dip them in water or unsweetened milk, and roll them in a mixture of mayo, garlic powder and panko. Bake it for, like, 20 minutes (until It's crispy), and it's ready to eat. So good!

Nudull

Banned
So, I've come to discover that I love tofu burritos thanks to a local place I found this past weekend. I've been wanting to cook tofu for myself for a long while (although the first time I tried was a complete disaster), so hopefully I can get around to making my own.

Kevyt

I have a question, a hypothetical question; Do you guys think that it would be possible to be a body builder in a strictly vegan diet? As someone who has tried in the past to go vegetarian but failed miserably in the past, it's a question that I feel isn't explored by the Vegan community or body builders, trainers etc. For myself I have tried to have a Vegan diet and its not difficult for me, most of my food are vegetables. But I work out five days a week. I was mostly doing cardio but have gone to lifting and working upper body. My main goal now is to build muscle. I rarely eat meat because I hate cooking meat, it's always a pain for me. It's much easier to make some rice and a nice vegetable stew. But most of my protein comes from Whey, which comes from milk. I also take other protest that comes from animal meat. Caseins and shakes that contain animal products. I feel like I could go fully vegetarian and still make it work, still build muscle by getting my protein from plant products but I'm a bit skeptical. What do you guys think?

Edit:

Yes. Google Frank Medrano. He's vegan and has an amazing physique.

I did, I also found an article on the advocate about Vegan male models. They have great physique too. It's interesting that male physique and bulking up is often associated with a heavy workout + lots of protein = eating a lot of meat.

I have a question, a hypothetical question; Do you guys think that it would be possible to be a body builder in a strictly vegan diet? As someone who has tried in the past to go vegetarian but failed miserably in the past, it's a question that I feel isn't explored by the Vegan community or body builders, trainers etc. For myself I have tried to have a Vegan diet and its not difficult for me, most of my food are vegetables. But I work out five days a week. I was mostly doing cardio but have gone to lifting and working upper body. My main goal now is to build muscle. I rarely eat meat because I hate cooking meat, it's always a pain for me. It's much easier to make some rice and a nice vegetable stew. But most of my protein comes from Whey, which comes from milk. I also take other protest that comes from animal meat. Caseins and shakes that contain animal products. I feel like I could go fully vegetarian and still make it work, still build muscle by getting my protein from plant products but I'm a bit skeptical. What do you guys think?

Yes. Google Frank Medrano. He's vegan and has an amazing physique.

Team Jones over in FitnesGAF is also Vegan and he is ripped.
Started veganism about 3 months ago, so I figured I come and get an update; pictures included.

Sx1vXWDl.jpg
zpS8mTYl.jpg

I’m maintaining weight at 183/184, I was originally 187. By the numbers I lost pounds, but even prior to becoming a vegan I would lose and gain a couple pounds, so it’s not that serious. It’s harder to gain (gainzzz) weight while being a vegan. I know it’s not impossible; I just need to step up my intake.

PROTEIN. This is where I thought I would run into the most problems when becoming vegan. According to "studies", I haven’t been getting all the protein I need, but I’m still seeing good results. I DO NOT rely on Soy Protein as my primary source of protein. There are too many studies out on whether Soy Protein is good or bad for bodybuilding, so I use it sparingly. I buy vegan protein powder from Vitamin Shoppe that consist of several different type of plant-based proteins; i.e. Rice, Berries, Peas, Hemp, etc...

FOOD. There are TONS more of meals you can eat outside of Salad. The reason I mention Salad is because that's all that most people assume you can eat as a Vegan. I’ve made some of my best dishes now that I’m vegan.

I have more energy now, whereas I use to find myself tired mid-day.

My training is still intense; Hour and Out. No changes.

To sum it up with one word; REFRESHING.

dude

dude
I recently fell in love with cellerie. I hated it before, but it's really nice in stews and soups.

I LOVE celery, it has such a unique taste it makes everything wonderful.

In related news, soy flakes are the bomb. I just made a shit-ton of vegan chili and the soy flakes gives it that extra edge that my vegan chili usually lacked. I've been using it as a replacement for minced meat for a while, and it works in pretty much everything as long as you spice it right.

I LOVE celery, it has such a unique taste it makes everything wonderful.

In related news, soy flakes are the bomb. I just made a shit-ton of vegan chili and the soy flakes gives it that extra edge that my vegan chili usually lacked. I've been using it as a replacement for minced meat for a while, and it works in pretty much everything as long as you spice it right.

We often use soy flakes too, the texture is indistinguishable from real minced meat, I have food many a carnivore with it.

Top Bottom