• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vertical mouse vs trackball mouse

June

Was thinking of buying a vertical mouse since their shape seems comfortable

but then also became aware of the trackball options which also look pretty cool, especially the balls you control with fingers (instead of thumb), but i've never used a trackball before so its difficult to know whether they are comfy

anyone have experience or opinions on either option?

Logitech MX Vertical

Logitech_MX_Vertical_Mouse_ergonomic_optical_6_910-005448-924204.jpg

hero-image.fill.size_1200x1200.v1623372738.jpg

Elecom Trackball

ELECOM-Wired-Finger-operated-Large-size-Trackball-Mouse-M-HT1URBK.jpg

claw-large.jpg

I had a trackball mouse from Logitech. It was nice because you could just place it in a comfortable position without ever needing to move your wrist or arm. It's also just fun to use somehow. It was the type where you move the ball with your thumb though, and that started hurting my joints after a while. I gave mine away for that reason.

I now have the MX Vertical and I'm pretty happy with it. Didn't take long to get used to and it's more comfortable than a flat mouse. After years of use the rubbery material gets grimy and that's kinda nasty. They also have smaller, cheaper ones now called Lift that look nice. Those don't have rechargeable batteries or USB-C connection though.

If you don't use your computer too often I'd go with the trackball. It is comfortable when used in short bursts. If you do a lot of continuous work though, you'd need a more traditional mouse alongside the trackball to relieve your finger joints. If you just want to get a single mouse, I'd go for the vertical one. Just my experience with them.

June

I had a trackball mouse from Logitech. It was nice because you could just place it in a comfortable position without ever needing to move your wrist or arm. It's also just fun to use somehow. It was the type where you move the ball with your thumb though, and that started hurting my joints after a while. I gave mine away for that reason.

I now have the MX Vertical and I'm pretty happy with it. Didn't take long to get used to and it's more comfortable than a flat mouse. After years of use the rubbery material gets grimy and that's kinda nasty. They also have smaller, cheaper ones now called Lift that look nice. Those don't have rechargeable batteries or USB-C connection though.

If you don't use your computer too often I'd go with the trackball. It is comfortable when used in short bursts. If you do a lot of continuous work though, you'd need a more traditional mouse alongside the trackball to relieve your finger joints. If you just want to get a single mouse, I'd go for the vertical one. Just my experience with them.

thanks man this is what I needed to hear

It would be just a single mouse, and I use to computer a lot a lot, just casual stuff and browsing (not gaming or anything) but lots of it.

I am worried that a trackball (either thumb or finger) would be more strain to use since I guess it's putting the strain on your fingers. whereas a regular mouse puts straing on your wrist/arm whicgh are larger muscles and I assume easier to absorb the strain ? So yeah what you say puts me off buying one

Any other vertical mice you have an eye on, or should I just go with the MX vertical ? (it was my first choice anyway, based on my current research)

Last edited:
It would be just a single mouse, and I use to computer a lot a lot, just casual stuff and browsing (not gaming or anything) but lots of it.

I am worried that a trackball (either thumb or finger) would be more strain to use since I guess it's putting the strain on your fingers. whereas a regular mouse puts straing on your wrist/arm whicgh are larger muscles and I assume easier to absorb the strain ? So yeah what you say puts me off buying one
Yeah, I think you should go with a vertical mouse then. I will add though that I get pain in my thumbs pretty easily, such as from playing video games too much. Others may not have the same issues I did. It is possible the different setup (thumb vs finger) could make a difference too. Ultimately the vertical mouse is the safer choice IMO.

Any other vertical mice you have an eye on, or should I just go with the MX vertical ? (it was my first choice anyway, based on my current research)
I'm no expert or anything. I ended up with the Logitech one for the Bluetooth connectivity (which I ended up not using 'cause it sucks for games) but haven't felt the need to replace it. I think there's some cheap ones from brands like Trust that are decent enough for the money. The Logitech ones seem like the premium option though.

June

Yeah, I think you should go with a vertical mouse then. I will add though that I get pain in my thumbs pretty easily, such as from playing video games too much. Others may not have the same issues I did. It is possible the different setup (thumb vs finger) could make a difference too. Ultimately the vertical mouse is the safer choice IMO.

i get a little bit of pain my thumbs, mostly my left due to the analog position on the playstation controller.

but yeah thumb exhaustion from gaming was definitely a big factor when choosing between thumb or finger trackball. i already use my thumbs for gaming enough yknow

I'm no expert or anything. I ended up with the Logitech one for the Bluetooth connectivity (which I ended up not using 'cause it sucks for games) but haven't felt the need to replace it. I think there's some cheap ones from brands like Trust that are decent enough for the money. The Logitech ones seem like the premium option though.

Alright man thanks a lot (y)

MastaKiiLA

Vertical mice are awesome. Trackballs are good too, but not if you want to do any gaming. I used to have one of those Logitech trackballs, and loved it. But nowadays I do enough gaming that I need the mouse. Vertical mice are so much more comfortable than regular mice. I got a cheap $15 vertical BT5.0 mouse like the Logitech in the OP. It's so comfortable in the hand. I also have a Logitech Pop mouse, but I only use it as a backup nowadays.

Melon Husk

Static postures cause strain so I don't like trackballs. Never used a vertical mouse. Big palm-grip mouse that is held like a pen is best for me:

Logitech-Marathon-Mouse-M705-Hero5x4-b0c0ba40dbcb4c1fbcb2166303d5d926.jpg

Logitech Marathon

edit: Mouse is just half the picture. Chair that feels right is the second half. I think how you sit also defines what mouse feels comfortable. Whatever feels right is the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom