• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice News: War in the Central African Republic (holy shit, this doc is insane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

So all day I've been watching different Vice pieces just kinda combing through their site like I do every few months, and I landed on this piece from 12/14. Its as on the ground as it gets, as civil war chaos grips this country. It gets to the point where Vice literally is escaping a city under attack with civilians trying to reach a hospital. Its one of the most insane pieces of war journalism I've ever seen.

https://news.vice.com/video/war-in-the-central-african-republic-full-length

The complete chaos starts as around 30mins, but you need to see the whole thing. Its just heartbreaking. I also love the general guy who shows up completely pimped out and it just paints a picture of corrupt as fuck revolutionaries after they take over.

Vice is always looking to bring these kind of things to light, and its makes them a great organization.

The Central African Republic's capital of Bangui has seen its Muslim population drop from 130,000 to under 1000 over the past few months. Over the past year, thousands across CAR have been killed and nearly a million have been displaced. The United Nations recently stated that the entire Western half of the country has now been cleansed of Muslims.

CAR has never fully recovered from France's colonial rule, and it has only known ten years of a civilian government - from 1993 to 2003 - since achieving independence in 1960. Coup after coup, often with French military involvement, has led many to refer to the country as a phantom state. The current conflict has now completely erased the rule of law and order, and left the UN and international community looking confused and impotent.

In March 2013, the Séléka, a mostly Muslim rebel alliance, rose up and overthrew the corrupt government of François Bozizé, while bringing terror and chaos across the country - pillaging, killing and raping with impunity. In response, mostly Christian self-defense forces, called the anti-balaka, formed to defend CAR against Séléka attacks.

Clashes grew more frequent throughout 2013 as the Séléka grew more ruthless. In December 2013, French and African troops went in to disarm the Séléka and staunch the bloodshed. The anti-balaka, seizing on a weakened Séléka, then went on the offensive.

CAR had no real history of religious violence, and the current conflict is not based on any religious ideology. The fighting, however, turned increasingly sectarian in the fall of 2013, with revenge killings becoming the norm. And as the Séléka's power waned, the anti-balaka fed their need for revenge by brutalizing Muslim civilians.

"Too few peacekeepers were deployed too late; the challenge of disarming the Séléka, containing the anti-balaka, and protecting the Muslim minority was underestimated," Human Rights Watch said in a recent statement.

The bloodshed has not stopped. The UN is still debating whether or not to send peacekeepers. Even if a peacekeeping operation is approved, it will take six months for troops to be assembled.

I mean, is anyone else doing news like Vice? I love their longer pieces, you get much more in depth than the 15 minutes per story they get on HBO.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Their coverage is really good, they have been doing some stuff on Indigenous affairs in Australia recently which has been pretty poor by their standards.

Just finished watching. I really hope that country finds peace. Surprised they didn't cover the natural resources of the country, though. Who is doing the mining?

Jb

They're good at finding striking images, not so much imho at presenting an issue in its context and its complexity. Still, one more outlet covering tough conflicts is always good.
Thanks for the link!

The situation in C.A.R. was just utterly brutal. That massive Muslim decline is scary as hell too. Especially when that was in a span of months.

I'm glad things have calmed down now, but the country still isn't finished rebuilding itself.

Vice is pretty amazing with conflicts in developing countries. The visualization is really helpful in getting a grasp of whatever they are covering. Getting locals' opinions and showing the reality of the situation is really good for me.

I'm guessing its too graphic? Knowing Vice and all.

The video isn't that harsh, but there is blood.

I like Vice. They might not be quite subjective (more than the average Doc filmmaker perhaps?) but obviously not Michael Moore levels. And they are very entertaining, condense and informative.

When those two young boys were wounded i really thought they might pull through but when (that night) they were declared dead i just lost it, they could have made it if not for the long time they spent pinned there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom