• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Man bitten by K-9, kicked by St. Paul cop; chief apologizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/04/stpaul-probes-incident-cops-citizen-police-dog
Full story at link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voTAj7WHNlQ

http://globalnews.ca/news/3048365/v...by-officer-bitten-by-police-dog-in-minnesota/
David Titus, the head of the St. Paul police union, said officers were responding to a dangerous area. He said the officers acted within policy and followed their training.

Chris Wachtler, an attorney for the union, said the incident wouldn’t have happened had Baker complied with officers’ orders.
Police unions being as shitty as usual.

St. Paul police Friday released video showing a June 24 arrest in which a 53-year-old African-American man was bitten by a police dog and kicked by an officer.

The man, Frank Baker, spent two weeks in the hospital after suffering severe wounds to his legs and feet with the K-9 tearing "hunks of flesh" and biting "down to the bone," said Baker's attorney, Robert Bennett. "It's certainly one of the most serious non-fatal attacks I've seen."

The officers at the center of the controversy, five-year veteran Brian Ficcadenti and three-year veteran Brett Palkowitsch, were not available to respond. Palkowitsch is on an unpaid leave that began Thursday and faces an investigation.

Ficcadenti got his K-9 partner, Falco, out of his car and ordered Baker to get out of the vehicle, which he did. But Ficcadenti reported Baker hesitated and wouldn't raise his hands where the officer could tell if he was armed.

"It was my belief at that moment that Baker was about to pull a firearm on me," Ficcadenti wrote in the report.
They'll be cleared... the cop's psychic powers told him the scary black guy was going to pull a gun.

Stencil

Thankfully the man is still alive. Also good to see one of the offending officers on unpaid leave. I can't imagine what it would be like to be attacked by a trained police dog... Woof.

vern

Hopefully the dog gets prosecuted to the fullest extent, but I'm not holding my breath. Despicable.

Laiza

"Bitten" feels far too mild for what actually happened there.

"Mutilated" would get it across much more accurately, I'd say.

"five-year veteran Brian Ficcadenti and three-year veteran"

I don't consider anyone thats been a police officer for 5 years a veteran, let alone someone who has worked for only 3.. or is that just what an officer is referred to as?

Like damn I am just glad he guy is not dead. I hope the taxpayers of St. Paul are ready to shell out for a multi million dollar lawsuit settlement. I mean its pretty much an open and shut case he was assaulted and permanently disfigured by the police officers and their K-9 while being completely innocent.

Kettch

Aren't they supposed to shoot and kill someone they think is a threat? Maybe they'll get disciplined for not doing that.

Media

Hopefully the dog gets prosecuted to the fullest extent, but I'm not holding my breath. Despicable.

The dog, who is not actually at fault, will get more punishment than the cop, I can promise that. They'll come up with some 'oh, the dog wouldn't release and jumped before command' bullshit, put the dog down, and the actual asshole, the dude who told the dog to do it, will walk with a wrist slap.

I don't consider anyone thats been a police officer for 5 years a veteran, let alone someone who has worked for only 3.. or is that just what an officer is referred to as?

You're right, I wouldn't consider 3 or 5 a Vet

Two Words

The dog, who is not actually at fault, will get more punishment than the cop, I can promise that. They'll come up with some 'oh, the dog wouldn't release and jumped before command' bullshit, put the dog down, and the actual asshole, the dude who told the dog to do it, will walk with a wrist slap.

K-9 dogs are expensive. No way they put it down.

TimeLike

It sounded weird to me too. I have a feeling the author wouldn't refer to a doctor as a three year veteran of the ER or a teacher a five year veteran of the classroom. It feels to me like this is being used in a militaristic connotation like cops are soldiers.

Wow, they really dont give a shit do they? Smh... Kicking an unarmed man while he is on the floor and being mutilated by a dog.

Smh, and have the cheek to say dont move?

entremet

Wow, they really dont give a shit do they do? Smh...

They never did.

This is systemic and has been happening for decades. The white dominated media never cared or reported on this save from big incidences like Rodney King.

Only the smartphone era has made it more relevant to the public eye.

His fucking screams..we just don't fucking matter..
Yes, we do. It's these garbage police forces who are wastes of life.

He's not talking about the K-9.

Odoul

head of the St. Paul police union, said officers were responding to a dangerous area.

That says so much.

The contempt they hold for certain places and the people living in them.

PopeReal

He thought he was "about" to pull a gun?

So everyone could "about" be ready to do something at anytime.

Cops continue to do whatever the fuck they want.

gdt

Not in a million years do they put that dog down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom