• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

I'm pretty sure it was fake because PQUBE spends the majority of their time moving announcements backwards, not leaking them via email.

Also, if someone goes and asks what kind of phone he uses, that'll tell me a lot.

I'm inclined to believe that it might be true since there were two different emails in separate posts posted in the original thread I saw, so maybe it's their attempt at a PR stunt or a controlled leak that's backfiring because everyone thinks it's fake, or are being too adherent to the "confidential" line and not spreading it. Or it might actually be fake.

Fake or not though, a localization of Zero was inevitable given the popularity of S;G, so it's not terribly exciting news. If it was one of the Chaos; games, I'd be more hyped.

Prelude.

The "confidential" thing seems like just a joke to me.

"I will tell you this secret random stranger that just emailed me, but you must not tell anyone about it!"

hamchan

I've been wondering a few things about visual novel sales on Steam that I don't know can be answered unless you're a dev on these games.

If something like Danganronpa reaches 10k sales or Fruit of Grisaia reaches 20k is that considered a big success?

Or how about Higurashi where the first chapter reaches 60k sales but chapter 2 only gets 10k. Is this still a success?

Of course price matters a lot too. I'm just wondering if there is a certain amount of revenue for these releases that the developers and publishers can be happy with or whether this whole Steam thing has increased their sales by a huge amount. Also whether the novelty of visual novels on Steam caused a big increase in the start and now sales might be leveling off a bit.

Marche90

I've been wondering a few things about visual novel sales on Steam that I don't know can be answered unless you're a dev on these games.

If something like Danganronpa reaches 10k sales or Fruit of Grisaia reaches 20k is that considered a big success?

Or how about Higurashi where the first chapter reaches 60k sales but chapter 2 only gets 10k. Is this still a success?

Of course price matters a lot too. I'm just wondering if there is a certain amount of revenue for these releases that the developers and publishers can be happy with or whether this whole Steam thing has increased their sales by a huge amount. Also whether the novelty of visual novels on Steam caused a big increase in the start and now sales might be leveling off a bit.

Usually visual novels aren't big movers. VNs that sell more than 50k copies are the exception and not the norm. For example, I think that MG's numbers less than 2 years ago where in less than 5k for all their title, so Steam has done a lot in that regard. Also, regarding the Higurashi numbers, you can't start one without finishing the other first, which is why those numbers are less.

The first Higurashi's sales are inflated by bundles.

Danganronpa has higher sales expectations than more niche VNs from MangaGamer or Sekai Project. It doing only 20k wouldn't be great, but it is fantastic for Grisaia.

Shoyz

B-but Chaos;Head..

Maybe Chaos;Child's PC version will get a fan-translation instead, at least. :c
If the 'leak' is true, what were they teasing since June?

Jazz573

Can someone explain why my comment is being downvoted there?

People just downvote for no reason. :p

On another note. I just finished Gahkthun! Fantastic game, it's actually now my favourite VN, knocking F/SN from that position. I highly recommend it.

Can 5pb even make a good visual novel without subcontracting nitro+?

(honest question, aren't they a publisher/record label?)
No, they're also developers/creators. The Science Adventure series has barely any Nitro+ involvement these days, and the series itself is the brainchild of 5pb's president.

Jazz573

Oh, one of the writers is the scenario writer for the Steampunk series from Liar-soft, Sakurai Hikaru. :p There's also another writer from Liar-soft, Myougayajinroku, who worked on Cannonball and Forest.

The main writer, Kanan Ren, is mainly a writer for loli nukige, but apparently also did an otome game. Strange choice. Urobuchi is also credited for scenario.

Gvitor

Looking for some suggestions.

I'd like something short, and hopefully standalone (no trilogies, sequels, etc). Mystery-themed, and a bit of gameplay every now and then would be nice, instead of just choosing options.

I played 999 and VLR, Danganronpa 1,2 (and AE...), Ever 17, the Ace Attorney and the Professor Layton series. I also watched the Steins;Gate anime, so even though the game is supposedly better, I wouldn't play it this soon.

Platforms are a non-issue.

I was looking into Banshee's last cry, for iOS. How's the reception here, GAF? Also, how long is it?

Jazz573

I'd like something short, and hopefully standalone (no trilogies, sequels, etc). Mystery-themed, and a bit of gameplay every now and then would be nice, instead of just choosing options.

I played 999 and VLR, Danganronpa 1,2 (and AE...), Ever 17, the Ace Attorney and the Professor Layton series. I also watched the Steins;Gate anime, so even though the game is supposedly better, I wouldn't play it this soon.

I was looking into Banshee's last cry, for iOS. How's the reception here, GAF? Also, how long is it?

This should cover your criteria. I excluded games with sexual content, but if that doesn't bother you, I can change that. What kind of gameplay do you mean? Point-and-click type?

Gvitor

This should cover your criteria. I excluded games with sexual content, but if that doesn't bother you, I can change that. What kind of gameplay do you mean? Point-and-click type?

That doesn't bother me. And any type of gameplay is fine, really. I just want it to be even a little more interactable than choosing options on a screen.

I'll be checking out Another Code/Trace Memory out of that list, thanks!

I was also interested in Phenomeno and Kiken na futari, but the the first apparently doesn't have an official release and the second was supposedly removed from the appstore... I can't find it anywhere.

I also heard good things about Higurashi, but apparently it isn't just one game. I also clicked in the page and the artstyle immediately threw me off, lol.

Shizuka

2. We will be sending out BETA keys to all Backers who've contributed $25 or higher by March!

The translation is taking a little bit longer than we originally anticipated. That being said, Muv-Luv Extra will be ready by the end of March! You'll get a BETA steam key so you can access it as soon as it's ready. Muv-Luv Unlimited should be available by the end of April/early May which is when we'll be doing our public release on Steam.

Latest Muv-Luv Update.

Have you played Hotel Dusk?

Remember11

Same series as E17, better atmosphere, worse ending, the pacing is incomparably better

Gvitor

Remember11

Same series as E17, better atmosphere, worse ending, the pacing is incomparably better

Is it self-contained like Ever 17? I'm not looking to get invested in a huge series now, I just want a quick read/game to cool off after Xenoblade.

Good news about the pacing though, I hated the pacing in Ever 17. I actually didn't like the game quite as much as 999/VLR, both games that I adore. I feel like every twist in Ever 17 takes forever to get to the actual reveal, to the point that you're able to figure it out way before the characters do, and they lose some impact because of it.

On the other hand, it does have some of the best mind-blown moments, one that isn't quite explicit, imo,
which is the realization that Blick winkel comes into play at the same time that you, the player, starts to realize that both campaigns aren't what-ifs situations at the same time, but stories that happen in two different points in time instead.

Is it self-contained like Ever 17? I'm not looking to get invested in a huge series now, I just want a quick read/game to cool off after Xenoblade.

Good news about the pacing though, I hated the pacing in Ever 17. I actually didn't like the game quite as much as 999/VLR, both games that I adore. I feel like every twist in Ever 17 takes forever to get to the actual reveal, to the point that you're able to figure it out way before the characters do, and they lose some impact because of it.

On the other hand, it does have some of the best mind-blown moments, one that isn't quite explicit, imo,
which is the realization that Blick winkel comes into play at the same time that you, the player, starts to realize that both campaigns aren't what-ifs situations at the same time, but stories that happen in two different points in time instead.

Yeah R11 is self-contained. Should take 30hrs or so max.

hamchan

Finished Higurashi chapter 1. Yeah that game freaked me out. Seriously, the countryside being full of murderers and crazy people is a personal nightmare of mine. It's why i'll never go backpacking in my life. Going to start chapter 2 soon.

I hope that chapter 3 comes out quickly but there's been no news on that front.

Also tempted to buy Danganonpa on Steam just to show support. There doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over the Vita versions though.

jonjonaug

Finished Higurashi chapter 1. Yeah that game freaked me out. Seriously, the countryside being full of murderers and crazy people is a personal nightmare of mine. It's why i'll never go backpacking in my life. Going to start chapter 2 soon.

I hope that chapter 3 comes out quickly but there's been no news on that front.

Also tempted to buy Danganonpa on Steam just to show support. There doesn't seem to be much of an upgrade over the Vita versions though.

One chapter every 6-8 months would be a decent pace for Higurashi. If we get into April and there's still no word, then I'd start to get worried.

i'm a little confused by the double root backer kit ..

i've pledged for the digital steam version , so why is it asking me for my physical adress ?

One chapter every 6-8 months would be a decent pace for Higurashi. If we get into April and there's still no word, then I'd start to get worried.

I feel like they need to be coming out at a faster pace. 6 months is a long time, and if they keep up at this current pace they won't be finished until 2022.

Anko

Colour me surprised. J-list lists (pun? not intended) Flowers -Le volume sur printemps- physical as shipping in March. From what I keep hearing about JAST, I thought 2017 would be a miracle.

I already have like.. 3-4 copies across Vita and PC but what the heck. It's English and I should support it. International shipping inflates physical cost by 50% so I really should stick to digital but I can't help it.

Colour me surprised. J-list lists (pun? not intended) Flowers -Le volume sur printemps- physical as shipping in March. From what I keep hearing about JAST, I thought 2017 would be a miracle.

I already have like.. 3-4 copies across Vita and PC but what the heck. It's English and I should support it. International shipping inflates physical cost by 50% so I really should stick to digital but I can't help it.

You shouldn't actually believe that it's shipping in March,

Top Bottom