• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

wow just wow :O

Myth is like Higurashi on steroids, i'm really surprised after the really slow start with a lot of Slice of life moments, but after 8 or so hours it's starting to get serious. One hell of a ride, it's the perfect game for Halloween!!!

Myth is like Higurashi on steroids, i'm really surprised after the really slow start with a lot of Slice of life moments, but after 8 or so hours it's starting to get serious. One hell of a ride, it's the perfect game for Halloween!!!

Yeah it starts really slow, but around day 15 it gets going.

jzbluz

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games - Double Pack launching next spring on PS4/Vita:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...he-nonary-games-out-next-year-on-ps4-ps-vita/

I dont see the point of a double pack for Vita when the original release of VLR is already on there, unless its been remastered further? I only played VLR on 3DS but my only reason to buy this would be the 999 remaster.

I see publishers releasing double packs for VNs all the time in Japan. It can be cheaper if someone didn't buy the original game, but then, games in Japan are pretty expensive and unless it bombed, they don't go down in price that much.

Lain

I received my Memory's Dogma steam key from the kickstarter, so if any of you backed it and haven't checked yet, do so.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I received my Memory's Dogma steam key from the kickstarter, so if any of you backed it and haven't checked yet, do so.

Is that the one that says "only physical backers"? I apparently only pledged for physical-only, but received a key too. I assume it might just be the beta? I doubt it's a full key, otherwise I'd sell it.

Let me be more specific, is there any way to get the game to support 1920 x 1080?

Also, there is no voices in the game, right?

It's a visual novel using only 2D art, there is no arbitrary resolution support, there is nothing to render at a higher resolution.

Hik0boshi

Now you have my attention.
Is it heavy in mystery? What do you mean, when you compare it to Higurashi?
No spoilers, please. ;)

rickyson1

finally got around to playing Fata Morgana,was really good

tough to compare how good VNs are compared to each other for me especially when I usually go long periods of time between them but I thought it was way better than root double by way of comparison(only other one i've played in the past couple years) which I also enjoyed

nice soundtrack too

thanks to those who hyped it up in this thread over the past few months,probably wouldn't have gotten around to it until years from now otherwise

I finished Myth. I liked it, but I'm still confused about a lot of it. The plotting in this is ridiculously complicated and it's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a good place to discuss it.

Jimrpg

I'm up to
The Sixth Door
in Fata Morgana, and it's been pretty great so far. I think some parts are a little bloated and probably needed editing out, but overall the story shows a lot of great ideas and planning. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends. That soundtrack is something else though, now I wished I purchased the bundle. I love the setting, especially going as far back as the 11th century, it does a great job describing the era.
The Fourth Door has been my favourite so far. The story was epic and genuinely romantic. I think the romance in the Fifth Door was a little forced.

finally got around to playing Fata Morgana,was really good

tough to compare how good VNs are compared to each other for me especially when I usually go long periods of time between them but I thought it was way better than root double by way of comparison(only other one i've played in the past couple years) which I also enjoyed

nice soundtrack too

thanks to those who hyped it up in this thread over the past few months,probably wouldn't have gotten around to it until years from now otherwise

Try Steins;Gate if you haven't. It's a sci-fi time travel VN and my personal favourite!

I'm up to
The Sixth Door
in Fata Morgana, and it's been pretty great so far. I think some parts are a little bloated and probably needed editing out, but overall the story shows a lot of great ideas and planning. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all ends. That soundtrack is something else though, now I wished I purchased the bundle. I love the setting, especially going as far back as the 11th century, it does a great job describing the era.
The Fourth Door has been my favourite so far. The story was epic and genuinely romantic. I think the romance in the Fifth Door was a little forced.

I kinda disagree about the spoilered bit. :p

Heads-up: You should be able to buy the OST separately as DLC unless you got it from Mangagamer's website.

Jimrpg

I kinda disagree about the spoilered bit. :p

Heads-up: You should be able to buy the OST separately as DLC unless you got it from Mangagamer's website.

Oh you mean the fifth door? I just felt it was a little obvious that they were falling in love, they were the only people in the house and they were spending quality time together and that's been done a lot so it felt like a little cliched. It's like watching a show where the characters are the only two that don't know they like each other. Not sure how else I can explain it. :) It didn't really spoil my enjoyment of the VN though. I just meant I really enjoyed the story behind the fourth door. How Michel had the curse where he couldn't touch anyone, made their relationship more interesting from a romantic point of view, and then how he saves Giselle at the top of the tower was pretty heroic. Thought the fourth door worked well as a whole. Also I'm not done yet, so my thoughts may change after I finish the story.

I'll just wait a little for a sale on the soundtrack, maybe there'll be one in a few weeks on Steam. :)

upandaway

Just finished Fate/Hollow Ataraxia yesterday, it was pretty cool. Put me in a type moon mood for sure.

It's like 3/4ths slice of life which I wasn't expecting, but I thoroughly love that kind of stuff in VNs so I had a great time. Still, some of the scenes weren't interesting and some of them had really bad translations so there were definitely boring scenes I sped through. Mostly Rin and Caster stuff, the rest were great (especially Servant backgrounds).

As far as the story goes it was really interesting but the ending was eh. I don't really get how why her wish worked in the first place, or why he wanted to end it. I do like Nasu's style of revealing twists by not revealing them, haha. The eclipse epilogue with Bazett and Caren was pretty fun. Don't know how I feel about Caren not giving her Lancer's command spells back though.

Every single aspect of the game worked to enrich F/SN (plot, lore, characters) including the entire premise of the story so I think it was a really good fandisk (easy to be reminded of Kagetsu Tohya also since the format is somewhat similar). It made me really want the third Holy Grail war to get a Fate/Zero treatment.

Now you have my attention.
Is it heavy in mystery? What do you mean, when you compare it to Higurashi?
No spoilers, please. ;)

yes it has a lot of things to solve, and not everything will be answered at the end, a lot of things remain vague and complicated, but the overall plot was intriguing.

The comparison with Higurashi is more on the gory/shocking parts of the story and for me a lot of these scenes are unforgettable in a disgusting kind of way xD

The Soundtrack has a lot of great and memorable tunes, composed by Ganriki, well know for his work in the more recent 07th Expansion titles!

rickyson1

I was just thinking that I have a pretty outdated knowledge of VNs in general

I know a decent amount about older stuff that's been translated for ages(mostly fan translations in those days) and have played things like Ever17/Remember11/Muv-Luv/Saya no Uta with other older things such as Umineko/Higurashi/Fate/stay night on a mental list to hit up eventually

I also have an okay knowledge of what hybrid things are out there(Phoenix Wright,999 and the like) although I haven't gotten around to any of those yet,and have played a couple more recent things in Root Double/Fata Morgana thanks to this thread

but aside from that initial knowledge of what older things are good and paying a bit of attention to things this year i've come to realize that I have a complete and total lack of knowledge of what's out there from the few years in between

Hik0boshi

Just finished Cartagra. It was pretty good, in my opinion. Really digging mystery/crime/gore visual novels lately.
What do you guys think, should I continue to Kara no Shoujo now or change to something like G-Senjou no Maou, Fata Morgana, Myth...?

Shizuka

Just finished Cartagra. It was pretty good, in my opinion. Really digging mystery/crime/gore visual novels lately.
What do you guys think, should I continue to Kara no Shoujo now or change to something like G-Senjou no Maou, Fata Morgana, Myth...?

Fata Morgana.

Taruranto

Fata Morgana spoilers

I thought the fourth door
was pretty "bad", "Giselle" literally falls in love with "Michel" out of nowhere.

Imagine my surprise when the main character himself goes "LOL, What the heck was this? You told me a told me a fantasy with idealized human emotions!". It felt pretty rewarding and really a good narrative trick.

The last 1/3 of Memory's Dogma was really awful. For a game that was supposed to be a science fiction tale dealing with memories and identity, it ends up more of a bad xmen story crammed with every cliche in the book. So yeah, it's not a VN I recommend.

I second the silver case, it has that classic cyberpunk feel of japanese games in the late 90s, it reminded me of other favourite games of mine like Persona 2 and Soul Hackers.

And it covers the mystery/crime/detective part really well!

Fata Morgana.

Yyyyyep. Don't burn yourself out on crime fiction just yet, also Fata Morgana is leagues better than either KnS or Cartagra.

I was just thinking that I have a pretty outdated knowledge of VNs in general

I know a decent amount about older stuff that's been translated for ages(mostly fan translations in those days) and have played things like Ever17/Remember11/Muv-Luv/Saya no Uta with other older things such as Umineko/Higurashi/Fate/stay night on a mental list to hit up eventually

I also have an okay knowledge of what hybrid things are out there(Phoenix Wright,999 and the like) although I haven't gotten around to any of those yet,and have played a couple more recent things in Root Double/Fata Morgana thanks to this thread

but aside from that initial knowledge of what older things are good and paying a bit of attention to things this year i've come to realize that I have a complete and total lack of knowledge of what's out there from the few years in between

Tsukihime (Also by Type-moon AFAIK) is pretty famous. Never7 -spiritual predecessor to E17 and R11- is a good read if you want something more relaxed and ordinary (lovely little OST to boot).

YU-NO, while really old (I think it was originally for PC-98), is a friggin' CLASSIC.

That's about all I have lol

Sciel

Just started Root Double. Premise sounds good and it just feels like ever17 all over again. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me like Root Letter.

Knurek

Just started Root Double. Premise sounds good and it just feels like ever17 all over again. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint me like Root Letter.

It's not as strong as ever17, but a definitive improvement over I/O.
There's a bit too much repetition to my liking (especially if you try to go for 100% Endings), but overall I consider my money well spent here, and the 66 hours it took me to finish the game not wasted.

grim-tales

Just got an email saying my copy of Root Double has shipped :) My displayed address doesnt show a postcode even though I provided one in the Backerkit survery which is odd, so I hope it all goes smoothly.

aravuus

Steam release art or PS3 art for Umineko? Just bought it, maybe I'll be able to finish the first four episodes by the time the core arc is released.

Also I wonder if reading the manga along the VN would be fun. EP1 of VN -> EP1 of manga -> EP2 of VN -> EP2 of manga etc. I'm reading the manga at some point either way, seeing how it's said to compliment the VN, not be a replacement.

Top Bottom