• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to upgrade my home theater. Where to start?

The Lamp

*SOUND SYSTEM. I have had a Sony DAV-HDX576WF wireless 5.1 HTIB for about 8 years now purchased at around $400.

Sony_DAV_HDX576WF_DAV_HDX576W_5_1_Channel_BRAVIA_Theater_550561.jpg

It's served me well and the audio is actually quite good, but the receiver is bullshit (no HDMI inputs) and outdated and the wireless surround sound speakers cut in and out during playback, I assume because of the S-Air technology.

But if I'm going to upgrade, I should probably do a better job than what I did to start.

So now with my 65" OLED, I want a good sound system upgrade, but I really can't spend more than $1000 now, probably no more than $800 preferably.. I would also prefer Best Buy because I have a $150 gift card.

I want a receiver that can handle Dolby ATMOS if possible and 4K, HDR, and all the latest formats so that it doesn't get obsolete too quickly.

My Sony's bass and front speakers are surprisingly good. I haven't found detailed specs online except that they're full range and the subwoofer is 140+ W. The sound was so surprisingly good I considered Sony's latest model, a totally wireless blu-ray system:

but it seemed like a waste and difficult to upgrade each component.

• Should I get another HTIB, and if so, which one?
  • Should I get receiver + speakers separately, and if so, where to start?

I have a medium sized living room. Not sure if I should even bother with 7.1 given the size.

MazeHaze

Banned
Don't get that Sony combo, yuck. Iirc it only works with the blue ray player, you can't hook up your consoles or PC to the sound system.

And don't get a HTIB.

You need a nice receiver that will pass 4k AND HDR, 4:4:4 too if you use a PC. Get that and some kick ass L and R speakers. If you have money left get a decent sub. Add the rest as you go.

I bought a HTIB last year and I wish I hadn't. I've already replaced most of it and now I have a bunch of junk speakers that nobody wants.

Edit: also you probably don't wanna hear this, but don't go wireless. Just run speaker wire under a rug, or use some clever taping.

This "under a grand" thing is a fantasy. You're not gonna get anything decent that handles Atmos for that much.

Receivers alone for that cost $500 at minimum.

The Lamp

This "under a grand" thing is a fantasy. You're not gonna get anything decent that handles Atmos for that much.

What about this Denon receiver? There are also HTIB's with ATMOS for under $800 by Onkyo.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Don't get that Sony combo, yuck. Iirc it only works with the blue ray player, you can't hook up your consoles or PC to the sound system.

And don't get a HTIB.

You need a nice receiver that will pass 4k AND HDR, 4:4:4 too if you use a PC. Get that and some kick ass L and R speakers. If you have money left get a decent sub. Add the rest as you go.

I bought a HTIB last year and I wish I hadn't. I've already replaced most of it and now I have a bunch of junk speakers that nobody wants.

Edit: also you probably don't wanna hear this, but don't go wireless. Just run speaker wire under a rug, or use some clever taping.

I'm fine abandoning wireless.

Begbie

Don't get a HTIB. Having a dedicated receiver is a must!

If anything focus on a receiver that will future proof what you are looking for along with two tower speakers. ATMOs doesn't matter unless you are looking at least seven channels..
5 surround +2 height ATMOs or
7 surround +0 height ATMOS or
7 surround + 4 heights ATMOS

It also depend on your space and layout, some of the above speaker configurations may not work. Would you be looking at embedded ceiling speakers for ATMOs or ones that bounce the sound off the ceiling?

Do you need 5.1 right now?

If not, a solid receiver and some Chane / Polk tower speakers, center channel and / or subwoofer could make for a very solid 2.1 setup that you can expand to later.

I would recommend ditching wireless, as speaker wire is cheap and easy enough to set up.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

You can find a refurbished Onkyo TX NR646 for under 300 dollars.

Westonian

Do you need 5.1 right now?

If not, a solid receiver and some Chane / Polk tower speakers, center channel and / or subwoofer could make for a very solid 2.1 setup that you can expand to later.

I would recommend ditching wireless, as speaker wire is cheap and easy enough to set up.

This. Good speakers can last you a lifetime. Get a decent receiver and start with some really good L/R mains (full range floor standing if you can). Then add a center and surrounds as you can afford it.

I can't stress this enough: invest in good speakers. Your receiver is going to get replaced a few times as technology improves. Speakers can be forever.

Rival

Gold Member
Spend money on the receiver that has the features you want and slowly build it over time as you can afford more. No way you’re getting a good Dolby atmos experience for $800. Unless you are planning on actually installing in the ceiling I’d forego that option all together and spend the extra money on better quality standard 5.1 speakers. I have a combo of a denon receiver and definitive technology surround and center speakers with Polk left/ right and subwoofer. The left right I’ve had for 17 years and still work great.

If you can already throw in $1000, consider financing a setup you really want with the Best Buy credit card. There's no annual fee and no interest financing for 24 months if you spend over a few hundred bucks on home theater equipment.

Then spread the $1000 over the first however many months you need while continuing to save up money for the later payments.

Atmos is where it's at, don't settle if that's your goal. A good setup can last you a long time.

You're looking at at least $400 for an Atmos receiver. $600 isn't enough to get 7 speakers(FL, FR, C, SL, SR, and Atmos left and right) and a sub.

The Lamp

AVS had a topic where they recommended a setup like this and I think I can do it.

$300 - Denon Refurbished AVR-S920W 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver with 1 year warranty and Atmos
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...tts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!condition

$120 x 3 - Sony Core Series 4" 2-Way Center-Channel Speaker (use one as center)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-c...channel-speaker-black/5720006.p?skuId=5720006

$170 JBL Sub 550 10"
http://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIAEJR6D66755

With my $150 BB gift card that total is only $680.

I could use my L and R speakers from my Sony HTIB as surround sound speakers, couldn't I? These were the specs for those:
Audio Power Output: Amplifier: 1000W (RMS) / 512W(FTC), Center Speaker: 84W (FTC 0.7%THD), Center Speaker: 143W (RMS), Front Speaker: 84W x 2 ((FTC 0.7% THD), Front Speaker: 143W x 2 (RMS 10% THD), Subwoofer Speaker: 160W (FTC 0.7% THD), Subwoofer Speaker: 285W (RMS)

Get a Denon X4300H. On clearance at a lot of places. I just picked one up for $600 at Fry's.

I went with some Klipsch 280FA's for my atmos fix. But to be honest, I'd get speakers first over a receiver.

Never buy HTIB

other people will recommend you good receivers, but under 1 grand is gonna be tough.

a receiver is going to be 3-600 depending on what extraneous features you'll want, and one of the highest rated sets of "budget" speakers is like 400 dollars

that said,

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

are an extremely good set of speakers for the price. there are a ton of speakers that are better of course but if you want to get something to upgrade to later, can't go wrong with these. it's what I have and they've served me well for like 2 years now

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/home-theater/

I also use wirecutter for a lot of stuff

The Lamp

Get a Denon X4300H. On clearance at a lot of places. I just picked one up for $600 at Fry's.

I went with some Klipsch 280FA's for my atmos fix. But to be honest, I'd get speakers first over a receiver.

Fry's website shows $700 Clearance. Is in-store different?

Never buy HTIB

other people will recommend you good receivers, but under 1 grand is gonna be tough.

a receiver is going to be 3-600 depending on what extraneous features you'll want, and one of the highest rated sets of "budget" speakers is like 400 dollars

that said,

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2

are an extremely good set of speakers for the price. there are a ton of speakers that are better of course but if you want to get something to upgrade to later, can't go wrong with these. it's what I have and they've served me well for like 2 years now

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/home-theater/

I also use wirecutter for a lot of stuff

WTF is that 5 speakers for $150? I must be wrong.

The Lamp

I decided to up my budget significantly. I figured I would just use the BB card special financing and go ahead and get better components so I'm not tempted to spend more money for a few years.

I decided to do this:
2x Polk Signature S55 floorspeakers (L+R)
1x Sony 2-Way Core Series (Center)
1x Denon AVR-X3300W (Receiver) - I wanted the 4300 but it was too expensive and not on sale right now.
1x JBL 550 10" (Sub)
And I'll use my old L+R HTIB speakers for the surround channels.

How does that sound?
pun heh

Top Bottom