• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump asked Sessions to drop case against Arpaio

e_i

Rawstory article

Original WaPo story

The president asked Attorney General Jeff Sessions whether it would be possible for the government to drop the criminal case against Arpaio, but was advised that would be inappropriate, according to three people with knowledge of the conversation.
After talking with Sessions, Trump decided to let the case go to trial, and if Arpaio was convicted, he could grant clemency.

rjinaz

We have a president that doesn't give a shit about law folks. It's either an inconvenience that gets in the way of their shady shit or a way to punish minorities. Either way it shouldn't apply to people like the president and those that he likes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The most famous enforcer of Trump-like ideas on immigration going to jail for his immigration enforcement probably seemed completely unacceptable to trump.

Zolo

Ford already threw that shit out the window. It's basically a given from now on.

If Trump loses to a Democrat next election, I doubt they'll pardon him. I suppose Trump could resign after he loses to let Pence pardon him though if Pence wants to take the fall.

State charges. They will write many new songs about New York State.
Also this. Trump's biggest assets are in NY where he's vulnerable to state charges.

If Trump loses to a Democrat next election, I doubt they'll pardon him. I suppose Trump could resign after he loses to let Pence pardon him though if Pence wants to take the fall.

Also this. Trump's biggest assets are in NY where he's vulnerable to state charges.

This idea is so ridiculous I could actually see it happen.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

If Trump goes down Pence's career is over anyway. There's nothing stopping Trump from resigning once shit hits the fan, either as a result of the investigation or the election, and making arrangements for Pence to pardon him.

Ri'Orius

and-then-we-told-them-were-the-party-of-law-and-order.jpg

If Trump goes down Pence's career is over anyway. There's nothing stopping Trump from resigning once shit hits the fan, either as a result of the investigation or the election, and making arrangements for Pence to pardon him.

That will send an awful message if Trump is pardoned. It will tell future presidents that they can do whatever they want and if they get caught they will just get pardoned. Trump needs to be made an example of for the sake of democracy.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
That will send an awful message if Trump is pardoned. It will tell future presidents that they can do whatever they want and if they get caught they will just get pardoned. Trump needs to be made an example of for the sake of democracy.

Of course it's a bad idea for Democracy, but the precedent has already been set. It could very easily happen and he could get away with it.

Wag

Pardons for everybody!!!

Launder money!!! Pardon.
Defraud a bank!!! Pardon.
Imprison Americans unlawfully!!! Pardon.

Iolo

This will be the new piece of information to convince Congress to impeach!

I think it has dawned on even the most credulous person here that the Republican Congress will do absolutely nothing to impede Trump much less impeach him.

Pardons for everybody!!!

Launder money!!! Pardon.

The way that checks and balances have been eroded by circumvention over decades is reminiscent of the fall of the Roman Republic

Just drag the case out for another 3.5 years until Trump isn't president anymore (not that I have a huge amount of faith in America anymore that we wont get stuck with him another 4 years).

Steejee

For the love of whatever, some state AG please take Arpaio to court just so Trump's head can explode when he learns he can't pardon state convictions.

rjinaz

Pardons for everybody!!!

Launder money!!! Pardon.

Get caught smoking some weed while Black.
Trying to escape a hurricane without papers.

Full extent of the law.

mnannola

This sends a pretty clear message to everyone working with/for Trump right now. Stay on his good side, and he will give you a pardon when shit hits the fan. Get on his bad side? No pardon for you.

Top Bottom