• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump expected to tap billionaire investor Wilbur Ross for commerce secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Wilbur Ross, the billionaire investor considered the “king of bankruptcy” for buying beaten-down companies with the potential to deliver profits, is expected to be President-elect Donald Trump’s choice for commerce secretary, two officials with knowledge of the decision said.

Ross helped shape the Trump campaign’s economic agenda, particularly its hard-line stance on the need to renegotiate — or withdraw from — free trade agreements. Trump’s advisers have been split on that issue, which some economists warn could spark a damaging trade war, but Ross’s nationalist views are considered in line with the president-elect’s own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-investor-wilbur-ross-for-commerce-secretary/

Ugh

Of course if this follows what's been happening with the others posts, perhaps this is the "so extreme everyone will freak out" candidate, which will then be followed up with someone just slightly less nauseating but considered acceptable by comparison.

See: DeVos >>>> Falwell

trump's choice, is a blessing that keep on giving...

can i admit that lately as an italian, 'murica is not making me feel alone in a grim future political outlook?

SpaceWolf

Banned
The train keeps on chugging.

Let me off, pls.

The Trump train is an incredible train, the very best. And it chugs beautifully, let me tell you.

tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif

Derwind

Trump's swamp includes every possible special intrest group, lobbyist and megalomaniac anyone could ask for.

Tha... Fuck you Trump.

An activist investor type becoming the secretary of commerce?

oh god

oh my fucking god we are fucking boned

At this point, boned feels like an understatement to describe how utterly screwed we are in America.

By the way, can some please bring that Indiana jones gif of him saying we are going to die? I think it fits considering the context of this thread. And the dread surrounding it.

An activist investor type becoming the secretary of commerce?

oh god

oh my fucking god we are fucking boned
I can understand disagreeing with the guys views or not liking his character but what about being an activist investor would make him a bad choice in your opinion? Genuinely curious as I would say more about his stance on trade making him a bad choice personally.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm so glad lobbyists and special interests will no longer be influencing Washington... since they'll be directly running it instead.

Who could have seen this coming?! /s

Former Rothschild man, too.

This is has to be the biggest con in the history of America.

And the worse part? The people who wanted to get jobs and better wages as well as get rid of the so called corrupt government, who in turn, voted for Trump, are about to get one hell of a raw deal.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This sounds like... A not good idea, but I'm not really politically savvy enough to understand what sort of challenges this introduces. I mean, the whole filling-his-cabinet-with-billionaires sounds, on its face, like a terrible idea. However, if someone asked me what having this person for commerce secretary might lead to, I'd have no idea. Could someone give some examples?

Going from bribing politicians through lobbying to just straight out running the show I see. So that is 3 billionaires in the cabinet. So much anti-establishment and putting the working class first.

Maybe these billionaires in charge can work out well. They have to be good at something to end up like that. If Trump just filled his ranks with old school politicians people could have just voted Hilary.

Trump related threads seem to be hopeless on GAF btw, if the first page is name calling and trolling in every single one of them... these 4 or 8 years wont be pretty here.

Mii

Banned
Yet another choice great for NYC (investors the direct beneficiary and the city more generally the auxiliary beneficiary) and terrible for Trump's rural voter. I'm noticing a trend.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Maybe these billionaires in charge can work out well. They have to be good at something to end up like that. If Trump just filled his ranks with old school politicians people could have just voted Hilary.

Trump related threads seem to be hopeless on GAF btw, if the first page is name calling and trolling in every single one of them... these 4 or 8 years wont be pretty here.

Yes, they have to be good at something.

Robot Pants

Well this is a post.

Trump is literally filling his cabinet with the lobbyists and billionaires that could and probably will give us problems. There is no silver lining, certainly not from my point of view.

These people are exactly of the same type as the old school politicians Trump voters are against. They are the definition of the establishment they want to get rid of. Difference is, before they had to lobby with those politicians. Now they just are the politicians.

Trump is literally filling his cabinet with the lobbyists and billionaires that could and probably will give us problems. There is no silver lining, certainly not from my point of view.

Why will they give problems?

These people are exactly of the same type as the old school politicians Trump voters are against. They are the definition of the establishment they want to get rid of. Difference is, before they had to lobby with those politicians. Now they just are the politicians.

They voted against political establishment no?

(The 2 posts above were very useful by the way, good job guys)
For starters, the major conflicts of interest. This guy is deep in the coal industry for example.

Yes, and these people are just as part of it as those politicians those voters hate. Just with a few layers of lobbyists and accountants between them.

Also, apparently this guy saved Trump from bankruptcy before. Talk about corruption by giving your friends the top spots in the nation.

And this perfectly explains what I was saying. The lobbyists are now going to be running things. The rich will get richer and the poor will get fuck all.

"Hilary"?

Every single fucking time.....

jelly

It's going to be funny when Lobbying costs go down and Trump can shout, see! but in reality the lobbyists are in the government instead.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Why do people hate free trades? Even if we go against it, things will only get worse because other countries will just make a trade agreement excluding the US.

Considering how much technologies we export, it is crucial that all countries will sign an agreement respecting the same patent law.

Are we really going to destroy our international market and global position just so American can assemble Nike shoes in some rural factory?

Link

The Autumn Wind

These are literally the people that were giving millions of dollars to politicians so they could enact policy that they wanted that would benefit them. Might as well put the Kochs in charge of the Dept. of Energy.

Dude Abides

Banned
And the worse part? The people who wanted to get jobs and better wages as well as get rid of the so called corrupt government, who in turn, voted for Trump, are about to get one hell of a raw deal.

Trump supporters don't actually care about any of that. They just wanted someine who would remind Latinos, black people, and women who's boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom